Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jono

Real Name Jono   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 28, 2005, 22:10
Total Comments 22 (Suspect)
User ID 22775

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2012, 01:55 Jono

Why is this so important to you that you are willing to spread lies about it?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 20, 2012, 11:19 Jono

Actually there has been no threats what so ever to storm embassy. On the contrary UK has said repeatedly that they will NOT storm the embassy and are simply waiting for Assange to leave it. As for Sweden there is a girl who claims Assange raped her. He was questioned in sweden and then RELEASED with orders not to leave the country which he broke and ran to UK. That is the real reason for the custody in England and also the reason he is called back to Sweden (to stand trial for the alledged rape).  

News Comments > BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Allegations Follow-up
7. Re: BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Allegations Follow-up Oct 19, 2011, 13:56 Jono

Or maybe it's Activision spreading fud and you all bought it You're so gullible!  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed
17. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 13:10 Jono

Space Captain: Yes! Finally someone who understands me
But I still don't get why people boy a game and plays it for hundreds of hours. Then the studio tries to release paid content they get all rightious about how it's a moral obligation that all related content should be free. Did the original game shrink on you when the DLC was released?

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed
9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 03:20 Jono

I assume you go to work every day for free
Actually I always find it amazing that whenever game developers try a different way of charging for their services they get called "greedy schmucks" or something such. In my experience game development is one of the hardest businesses to actually make a living from. Which is why most smaller studios eventually needs financing from one of the large publishers. Low pay, high risk, high profile if you succeed but many are called and few are chosen..

News Comments > Game of Thrones RPG Plans
15. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 27, 2011, 02:23 Jono

I got quite astounded at that rippof remark. I have read the books and played the games and found no likeness what so ever. DA has elves and dwarves and religion based on Andraste and her crusade against the blodmages Tevinter empire. ASOIAF has humans (and dragons) and a huge wall shielding against "others". The rustic kings of the north has overthrown the old rulers and taken the "dragon throne". No elves no dwarves, no magicians, no templars. The only thing i can think of that's similar is "wardens" fighting "others" and watching out for a blight. But apart from the words even that thread has no similarities to DA.
But there are probably similarities i've missed so please fill me

News Comments > Dragon Age II Patch
28. Re: Dragon Age II Patch Mar 19, 2011, 13:01 Jono

I just finished the game, and while it's not as good as DA1 or even Origins i still really liked it. It's a weaker story than DA and combat is dumbed down but it's still a good game, not great like MassEffect 2 but still many hours if good gaming.

News Comments > AMD Knocks DirectX
43. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 19, 2011, 08:08 Jono

By coding directly for the silicon gaming companies could probably get better performance out of one or two of the leading "brand API's". I can see why this is attractive to AMD Personally i think it's a step back to the dark ages. Obviously standardization has a price in terms of developement freedom but it also makes writing code that works well on lot's of diffrent hardware possible, and that's imo is the corner stone of the PC. I get nightmares thinking about going back to having separate code-branches for every vendor and architecture, just when it was starting to get decent. As for DirectX it seem to be beating OpenGL, partly for the same reason AMD advocates. A it's a corporate standard and thus evolves quicker than a consortium (of diffrent interests).. or maby it's just that Microsoft's got more money than SiliconGraphics :].

News Comments > 96% of Games Unprofitable?
23. Re: 96% of Games Unprofitable? Nov 22, 2008, 13:28 Jono

And you're not making that up? How do you KNOW the report is nonsence? I know lot's of people that write music and a few who write games and none of them can make a living out of it.. in fact most of them doesn't even get paid. And contrary to your whishes they make games and music anyway

News Comments > Anti-Piracy Chip?
27. Re: No subject May 24, 2008, 01:22 Jono

Actually you're wrong in all aspects. First the consoles Xbox360 and the PS3 has been around much more than 6 months and it's protection still holds well enough to generate a considerably higher Return Of Investment from these games. Secondly greed has little to do with wanting pay for your work. The major effect of piarcy is to remove the abillity to compete with price. Ie it lessens the value of bundles and low cost production. Only hype retains it's strength as a sales point. The effect is that high cost high profile products get all the profit while low cost productions get pirated. My favorite example is MS office and StarOffice/OpenOffice. Because of piracy microsoft has world dominance on office products making all the profits from this huge market and most people wont even look at alternatives for free.
Lastly im certanly no fan of copy protection but i'm a programmer that goes to work every day. Some times it's fun but if i didn't get paid i wouldn't go. At the end of the day i would rather work on a project with free reins and a big budget than underpaid and on a tight deadline. If you compare revenues from console games to revenues from the same PC version it's easy to see that gamers spend their money on the consoles. It may be that it's simply a bigger audience, but my guess is that piracy is killing PC gaming faster than any copy protection. It's simply more fun working with a high budget for people who share their wealth.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Gears of War
12. Live long and prosper? Nov 7, 2007, 00:24 Jono

Just got the ring of death on my 360.. Long life? pffft! It might run cool games but it's still a crappy build, and noisy too.

News Comments > The Late Show
3. Arkadian Warriors Oct 13, 2007, 02:19 Jono

Looks lika a hotted Diablo-II and that could be a really good thing!

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 02:19.

News Comments > The Agency Announced
10. realism Jun 11, 2007, 23:53 Jono

.. what itís really like to live the life of an elite agent

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Not a problem in Linux. Jun 4, 2007, 00:43 Jono

As you say. 32-bit Linux however still has the same problem per application. By default a 32bit process can only use 2Gb private virtual memory.
There still seem to be some confusion about this, and unfortunately i don't think Dans article helped it although he mentioned a lot of stuff that requires shared memory. Most graphics drivers since the AGP era only default to a 64mb shared memory-window so they are not the big culprits here.

The key is shared memory. And the most common shared memory is shared objects, .so 's on Linux or dll's in windows. Most of what we refere to as the operative system consists of them. All the system API's and 3rd party API's consist of them. And if your application uses them they have to reside in that applications virtual memory.
On a 32bit platform virtual adresses are 4GB so part of that will have to be reserved for shared memory.
Windows as Dan points out has another nasty legacy. I.e the system itself has only one virtua address range and is this limited to (<4GB). (It's 3Gb by default but that can be tweaked at the price of potential trouble with insufficient shared memory).
In windows vista i beleive you can tweak this limit per process but i am not certain how that works yet.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Gold Farmers
19. Re: just one? May 27, 2007, 02:02 Jono

Currelntly most EULA's are used defenceively. I.e it gives blizzard the right to cancel a users account without risking legal actions.
.. and personally i hate spam!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Goatgate May 1, 2007, 04:21 Jono

But you are oversensitive, it is NO bullshit. The hypocracy of man never cease to amaze me. I have actually seen an slaughter house and a chicken factory and it's as close to pure evil as anything out of Hollywood. Most of us still eat meat however, the sad thing is that so many seem to live in violent denial of what that means. It REALLY makes no sense that showing a dead goat could be a frontside offense while millions of animals are butchered in processing plants are a natural order.

News Comments > id & Valve Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
51. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2007, 02:57 Jono

Amen to that! The idea that no-one looses if everyone has a right to copy any immaterial work they like is pure nonsense. Many times the only reason a work exists is because it's personal (like a poem). What many people seem to forget immaterial rights must exist in order to make any demands at all for your works.. even a licence like GPL (the Gnu Public Licence) is only meaningful if people respect immaterial rights. Another slightly of topic misunderstanding about software piracy is that it bleeds the company who own a product. In fact it ruins the market for cheap alternatives, and sees to that companies like Microsoft can keep up the prices on ther monopoly products. Office is a good example of this. You can't even giv away an office suite (open-office correl-office etc.) any more.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
25. Re: No subject Dec 31, 2006, 11:09 Jono

Yeah you wait until HDTV gets a higher penetration. Personally i enjoy seeing what improvements new technology brings so i'm allready into HDTV, and there is indeed a significant difference in detail and clarity. Wheither it's worth a shitload of money or not is obviously up to the individual user. Same as with HIFI you don't miss it until you've had it but when you go back and listen to old recordings (or 80's production CD's for that matter) the diffrence is obvious.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
14. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2006, 13:39 Jono

This is the post that makes you grow up?

News Comments > BF 2142 Demo Next Week
16. Re: No subject Sep 30, 2006, 04:00 Jono

i.e mods are worthless :-)

22 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo