Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 22:34 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 20:51:
Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 14:00:
Wait, so it didn't get dx11 I'd heard, but it didn't even get dx10 now too?

the difference between dx10 and dx11 is negligible.
Yes, but my point is that I don't like it when games stick to dx 9 because of consoles.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2013, 15:44.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
33. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 16:54 Dev

Info on virtual setup to get the tux item. Sounds like TF2 doesn't play well in a virtual box, but it works well enough to get the tux. Kinda like a hackintosh worked well enough to get the earbuds but couldn't actually play the game lol.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3078518
guide 1
guide 2

A few different guides. One of them talks about linking your existing TF2 content so you don't have to redownload.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 14:00 Dev

Wait, so it didn't get dx11 I'd heard, but it didn't even get dx10 now too?  

News Comments > January NPD Results
8. Re: January NPD Results Feb 15, 2013, 13:31 Dev

Lol, their accuracy sucks so bad they have to add a week now and again?  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 15, 2013, 06:50 Dev

GMG has complete Max Payne 3 (the game and all DLC) for $14 after voucher. Or if you are like me and already had the base game, its about $8 for the season pass containing all DLC.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=max+payne+3
20% off voucher code
GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

28. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 06:04 Dev

BTW, if anyone has a remote interest in TF2, log in in the next 2 weeks from linux:

Through the end of the month, play the Free-To- Play Team Fortress 2 on Linux and get a free Tux item in-game.

I think its similar to how they gave away earbuds for mac logins when they first released that client. Easy enough to do it without changing your current OS, give a live USB drive a try, or install the free virtual box and setup a virtual linux install.

27. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 06:00 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:28:
Amazing how quick they can put something out when they "feel" like working on it.
It isn't that quick, they've been working on it off and on for years. Though I think the win 8 thing pushed a few of them to wheel their desks over to the linux corner.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 14, 2013, 23:09 Dev

Also as mentioned previously by blue, to celebrate steam for linux all linux supporting titles (over 50 of them) are 50%-75% off.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
171. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 14, 2013, 21:28 Dev

Quinn wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 17:53:
But man that comparison is scary! Did their systems fry and they lost all their data because of some stupid mistake that would completely enrage their investors or something, so they kept it a secret? It honestly looks like they tried to build the game from scratch again in the last 4 months.
I'm thinking nerfed for consoles and/or specially enhanced for that one demo level that didn't turn out to be practical for the whole game.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 14, 2013, 13:25 Dev

I can vouch for that. Seems like I get u-verse snail mail spam almost every week begging to use them for TV.

I regret going for u-verse since they force you to use their routers. Plus their interleaving raises pings.
I'm not sure I'd be able to go back to DSL now, I've read some things about AT&T refusing to let ppl go back.

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Feb 14, 2013, 13:19 Dev

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 07:29:
But man oh man, I cannot wait for Kickstarter games to start coming out. I can't wait for people to realize that the aspirational graphics they saw are not nearly what they got. Can't wait for them to see that the features they were promised weren't there, or the stretch goals are there but totally unrealized.
Because this is going to happen. Not for the big ones, FTL was pretty much done, Wasteland looks awesome, but for some of the smaller ones? The early ones we backed because it seemed awesome and we were less critical then than we are now? We're going to get burned so much worse than anyone did here. I also think people are fairly aware of this now and much smarter about what they Kickstart.
Some small ones have already come out and I don't see that kinda tidal wave of kickstarter criticism. Such as Guns of Icarus online (which is now avail on steam).
The problems seem more to be that some of the smaller ones ran out of money and may not be released in a timely manner (or at all?). Such as one I backed announced a year delay.

Even if that kinda thing does happen, why would you be so gleeful and anticipatory about it? Is having your personal beliefs about this subject validated worth more than destroying an entire system of alternative game funding to you?

News Comments > Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3
14. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 13:10 Dev

finga wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 08:55:
Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 04:29:
I have a problem, because I'd much rather see it go into improving or expanding minecraft. Maybe doing minecraft 2. He's got his own company, why not re-invest more into that?
The community already did expand Minecraft much further than I think Mojang ever would have. It's called Feed the Beast, and it's definitely not for everyone. Minecraft is bottled lightning and heaping more stuff onto it wouldn't necessarily improve it.
But have they actually implemented full mod support yet like they promised? I haven't played minecraft in a while, but that was the status last time I checked, just partial mod support.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 14, 2013, 13:01 Dev

Ugh. MS is now locking copies to that particular PC?  

News Comments > Video Teases Preorders for Unannounced Game
10. Re: Video Teases Preorders for Unannounced Game Feb 14, 2013, 12:50 Dev

Looks like they did Anomaly Warzone Earth, which is a sorta reverse tower defense game that I've previously purchased and enjoyed.

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:07:
I think their first and foremost problem will be that payment providers don't take kindly to such... mystery sale things. In fact, paypal specifically forbids it. So I am actually a bit surprised they offer paypal there.. maybe they got permission.. I hope they do.. otherwise.. well.. paypal is very anal about this kind of stuff.
More likely no one has reported it yet, and when someone does they will get their paypal frozen and all the funds frozen as well. Its probably a good thing they have alternative payment already in place.

Edit: The bad news its humble bundle's paypal account which is being used.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 12:56.

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com
14. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 12:45 Dev

Rosco wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:38:
this certainly has my curiosity piqued:
(got this from the GOG site for the game)
"Minimum system requirements: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, 1.8 GHz Processor, 2 GB RAM, 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9.0c, 2GB HDD, Mouse, Keyboard."
They must have really put some work to this, I originally played this game on a Voodoo 3, AMD K6-2 400Mhz, DirectX 6 or 7.0. My entire hard drive back then was only 2 GB!
More than likely thats just what win 7 needs to be comfortable. I don't think they tweaked the graphics that much.

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com
13. Re: System Shock 2 Mods Feb 14, 2013, 12:41 Dev

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:08:
JeffCO wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 09:59:
I'm looking for the best mods to play this game for the first time. I'm seeing different mods on different sites. Is there one site that has the best mods?

First here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

Then follow what's here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

The site is getting hammered by so much traffic they had to temporarily limit access. It should be back up tomorrow. Mirrors are showing up here.
Thanks for the mods links for the system shock games

News Comments > Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army Revealed
6. Re: Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army Revealed Feb 14, 2013, 04:35 Dev

Closed Betas wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:52:
Is it stand alone or expansion. both? why call it both?
I think they mean its part of the sniper elite game series (expands the universe), but you don't actually need any other games to play this (so its stand alone).

News Comments > Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3
8. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 04:29 Dev

NKD wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:34:
But unlike you and me, he's wealthy enough to where he can not only buy games he wants, but ensure games he want come into existence in the first place.

It's the most logical thing for a very wealthy gamer to do, actually.
Maybe, but he decided not to fund psychonauts 2 after learning it would be more than a couple million.

finga wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:06:
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

If he wants to invest in games rather than in a stock market or in buying lavish crap, then why do you have a problem?

You think he randomly chose this? Read the post again. It wasn't random.
Sorry, poor word choice. I should have said arbitrarily. It seems random to me, but he's not doing it randomly.

I have a problem, because I'd much rather see it go into improving or expanding minecraft. Maybe doing minecraft 2. He's got his own company, why not re-invest more into that?

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
24. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 Dev

ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 04:05:
Well, guess Valve's work environment is no longer as good as it was painted. You don't fire these many people without a damn good reason, like finacial overstreching.
Makes you wonder doesn't it? Especially since Gabe is "obsessed" with employee health, and generally to get hired at valve someone has to be somewhat of a generalist, so people can move their desks somewhat freely.

If they are having money problems they have to be spending it like NUTS though. They are bringing in such a huge amount, and no real visible things they are spending tons on. They certainly don't spend it on the steam GUI. They aren't pumping out tons of money losing games. In one interview they talked about spending a million on a hardware lab, but that's not all that much compared to the billions they bring in. I find it hard to believe that they are running out, but like I said this makes me wonder.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
164. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 13, 2013, 23:54 Dev

avianflu wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 12:29:
You have to go back to the 1999 "A vs P" for a game that got the atmosphere and horror correctly:

Every 10 steps was a strategic decision and the aliens literally waited in the dark and then lunged. Only problem is that there was no save option in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYfU-j-gf4
I LOVED that game. I kept hoping the games after that would be even close to that level of goodness. And I liked it also for the story and how you played each race. For instance how with alien you started out as a little crawler, and worked your way up the lifecycle chain.
Edit: I may be thinking about AVP2, not sure.

nin wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:53:
"Coal" gift at next xmas steam sale.

THATS what we should do...we'll have a game club where you have to play through as much of a game as you can, only we'll pick the worst one possible. Whoever gets the farthest (with screenshot) "wins".

Isn't that kinda what's done at the desert bus fundraiser?
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 11:19:
I've never heard of most of these and the ones I have heard of are of such journalistic integrity and competence that I assume the opposite of whatever they say is true.
Then this must be a GREAT GAME! RUN OUT AND BUY IT NAO!

(yes I get what you are saying, but you can at least get a general tone out of reviews, and a feel for if its a category you will like. And in this case, the metacritic scores from PLAYERS are actually WORSE than the ones from the all these uncommon bad reviews, if you can believe that)

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 03:44.

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo