Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6668 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
20. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 23:48 Dev

Redmask wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:41:
Right, I was asking if anyone happened to know which of those million things it was but oh well. I'll go check out some reviews on the console versions and see how it turned out.
I don't know. But here's some other methods to find out besides just asking here:
Search around on google and in news articles about the game. Use date ranges to limit it to recent hits.

Back DF's adventure game if you haven't already.
http://www.doublefine.com/dfa
That gives you private access to a private backer forum where Tim reads and often responds to posts. You could ask there.

Or perhaps its all under a NDA and no one will talk.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
12. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 23:43 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 23:22:
mag wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:39:
? If nothing is impacted, then why fire 25 people? Might as well have said nothing. My ASSUMPTION is that the mobile and hardware sections aren't doing as projected and they cut a lot of fat from those projects.....

Maybe 25 people are fired exactly because nothing is impacted. They were unnecessary. Superfluous. Excess.
If things are good, then your business is growing and you need more people. Which means if any individual position is necessary, you will typically cross-train them for where you do need them. Booming businesses don't have superfluous people.
And valve tends to hire people who are good in one area, but have broad expertise so they can switch around to different projects. I think they even mention that in their employee handbook.
So its even more likely at valve that one could change "positions" without losing the job

News Comments > Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3
1. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 13, 2013, 21:47 Dev

Notch:
There's other things to do with your money than randomly backing (or refusing to back) other games.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 21:41 Dev

I have an alternative theory. They only implemented that stuff for a particular scene for demo purposes, and it wouldn't have worked on a console, so it was cut from the game. It would have been extra work to re-implement it over the entire game just for PC.  

13. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 19:53 Dev

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:35:
Redmask wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:27:
I thought EA had distro rights on this?

They were the original publisher. Although if it didn't sell as well as they hoped (which was rumored), it's possible DF bought it back on the cheap, afterwards.

Or that EA didn't bother to license the PC rights, or that there was an exclusivity period, or that the contract said if they didn't bother with PC the rights for PC would go back to EA after a specified time, or that DF licensed the PC rights from EA.

Could be a million things. And since DF has had experience with how difficult it is to get back rights (psychonauts), they may well have started writing into contracts terms to help them get PC rights if a company doesn't bother with PC.

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
24. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 18:04 Dev

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:54:
Yeah imagine that. They want people to work with others. So communistic!

It's amazing how people are. Valve releases L4D2 and people flip out accusing them of pushing titles out. They hold back on continuing HL until they have something great, and people whine because they don't release enough.

Meanwhile in past decade they've revolutionized how we buy games, have released around 10 games, and back-ported everything they've made to Mac and Linux.

Get some perspective FFS.
There's a difference between releasing a game once every 7+ years, and releasing a sequel in ONE YEAR. And not only did they push it out, but they broke numerous promises to L4D1 buyers about additional content and support.

You forgot to mention revitalizing the indie industry.

One can acknowledge valve's contributions to PC gaming, and enjoy playing games on steam, but have some valid criticisms at the same time. Imagine that.

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
23. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 17:59 Dev

What with Gabe's "obsession" over employee health (mental as well as physical), I'm surprised they've fired anyone at all, let alone that big of a chunk (up to 25 ppl? thats close to 10% of the company).

It does sound like its related to hardware.

I think its best that they don't get into doing a "console" of their own (costs so much money to even enter the market. MS lost $3-$4 billion on xbox 1, and thats including all games and licensing).
But, selling a standard specced PC with steam pre-installed might be a good move. Not sure if it should contain linux or not... if it does it would be cheaper, but not nearly as many games. Another much cheaper (for valve) idea is to pick a minimum gaming spec and and put out a "Valve/Steam Certified" label that other companies could put on it. That way you know you get a computer that would be good for gaming. I doubt the big companies would go for it, but smaller ones that do gaming computers might.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 18:06.

9. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 17:41 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:49:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
This game was pretty fun on the 360. It's been a long time since I last played it.

I was just going to say, isn't this like five years old? Is anyone waiting on a five year old game?

Creston
I think the point is at least partly putting something out there that can get some more sales and help fund the adventure game.

News Comments > Lace Mamba Global Responds to Complaints
7. Re: Lace Mamba Global Responds to Complaints Feb 12, 2013, 19:04 Dev

Short version of how I read it:
They contracted with indie game companies to distribute their games in other countries. The contract specified regular reporting and minimum payments, neither were satisfied. Mamba also distributed the game in unauthorized countries, and did sub licenses to other companies for flat fees without authorization. Multiple other indie companies had gotten screwed the same way (even more responded in comments from open letter on gamasutra such as IronCode Gaming). They all got together and sent registered letters and emails terminating the contract as per specified in the contract.

Mamba said they never got the letters (despite signed receipts), they never got the emails (no bouncebacks but their email supposedly malfunctioned only on those days that they were sent), claimed the CEO was fired so thats why no communication from them or him, and said Lace Mamba was different from Mamba Games.
Despite that days earlier he was still CEO, and actually listed as director for "BOTH" companies, and signed emails as CEO of Lace Mamba, and even though Lace Mamba is on the retail boxes of some of these games, and sometimes payments would come with one name or the other name on them.

But, after heated discussions Mamba coughed up most of what they were supposed to give, and agreed that those contracts were terminated.

IMO either the whole company is trying to screw people and tossing (or pretending to toss) that one guy under the bus as a scapegoat so they can sign more and screw more, or it was a rogue guy trying to screw someone. Probably best to just avoid the whole thing.

Edit:
Yet another indie company that got screwed:
micro macro games blog post
They said they were forbidden to do any marketing or promotion of their game by mamba after they signed, so looks like they got screwed out of growth as well as revenue.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 19:29.

News Comments > On Sale - Steam Adds Weekly Deals
7. Re: On Sale - Steam Adds Weekly Deals Feb 12, 2013, 05:10 Dev

MoonSpook wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 04:08:
Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 01:33:
I'd love to know what actual WoW subs are these days. I'm amazed they're not giving all the clients away at this point.

There was an investor's report the other week, and as of December 31st 2012, it was 9.6 million players. It's a drop from over ten million, but apparently that's mainly in China, and the EU/US have remained pretty stable.
I think it peaked at 12m, don't recall when that was, year or two ago?

News Comments > RAGE Tool Kit
68. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 11, 2013, 13:24 Dev

Redmask wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 18:25:
Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 23:38:
kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:48:
while say 4-8 GB is huge for a single map, it's not terribly hard to get a file of such size hosted these days.
Please tell me where its feasible to get those kinda single file sizes freely hosted for the traffic that a mod is likely to bring.

BitTorrent makes this a non-issue, there's also AWS and many other affordable hosting providers.
I specified free hosting, not affordable. There's a difference Bit torrent works for some things, but not everything.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Trailer
55. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 22:56 Dev

It appears that Vimeo removed our Wasteland 2 video demo for being awesome... or some policy about game demos. You can now find it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 22:28 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 21:15:
Cyant wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:18:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 15:14:
Holy SHEEIIT... people. stop buying Skyrim already. So it can go on sale so I can buy it.
It did went on sale after christmas at 50% off with the DLC's too.

Yeah, I am waiting for the $9.99 sale.
I think I'd bite at $15, the 75% off mark.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 20:03 Dev

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:43:
Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 18:57:
that french stuff reminded me of this:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/229600/

WTF is it? Its called Bientôt l'été

I watched the videos and still can't tell wtf valve was thinking (it wasn't greenlit). I'm not even sure if its a game. I think someone was in an arts and crafts mood the day they approved it or something.

Lulz. No idea. Though in Quebec they say 'A beintot' all the time - i.e. see you soon.
Its hilarious reading over the community posts for this:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/229600/discussions/
Apparently, even if you can stomach the type of "game" this is, it won't even work in "multiplayer" and playing it in AI mode takes away the entire point of the game.
The few suckers who purchased it generally have given bad reviews to it.
No one on my friends list owns it, usually even with indie niche games, SOMEONE on my friends list has it.

Edit: Oh and here's a link to a thread where the designer chimes in
http://steamcommunity.com/app/229600/discussions/0/846944689695935356/
I like these various quotes in that thread from the designer:

Give it a chance. For yourself.

In style they refer to many of Marguerite Duras' films in which she juxtaposes text that is read alongside images that don't directly relate to the words.

So to be effective, art will need to mask as pulp, be simple, so it can be accepted by the unaccustomed masses. Even if your art is intended for an elite, it still needs to be able to pass for shallow because otherwise the people who enjoy it risk public scorn, or simply prevent scorn by ignoring the art.

Anyway, it's obvious that any sort of education or cultural background will help one enjoy art better.

In my opinion, the artist should not care too much about the audience.

Needless to say, I won't be giving this a chance. I buy games to play and have fun, not be condescended to, sorry.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2013, 20:11.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 18:57 Dev

that french stuff reminded me of this:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/229600/

WTF is it? Its called Bientôt l'été

I watched the videos and still can't tell wtf valve was thinking (it wasn't greenlit). I'm not even sure if its a game. I think someone was in an arts and crafts mood the day they approved it or something.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 17:24 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:09:
Played Skyrim last night for about 5 hours - only level 26 and it says I have only done 8 core missions in 60 hours. haahahahah I have a lot of fun clearing out stuff, selling, crafting, talking with peeps, exploring....hell, I dont' even need a main storyline! hahahah
Generally thats the way I play games like that too. Thats how ppl like us get hundreds of hours in those kinda games

66. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 16:32 Dev

Kawlisse wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 10:15:
Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:48: ''Please tell me where its feasible to get those kinda single file sizes freely hosted for the traffic that a mod is likely to bring.''

Split the file in multiple smaller files !
That works for some things yeah. But not everything.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 16:31 Dev

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 15:59:
Quinn wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:34:
I feel for all the people who spent their hard earned money on A:CM. I know how it feels when you are 50 bucks lighter on a game that turns out to suck.

Especially when GMG has been rotating 25 - 30% off sales for weeks now.
Weeks? Try months. I used those sales to get borderlands 2 preorder. And I know they were going on before that.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 14:00 Dev

Drayth wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:04:
According to my calculations, everyone in the world now owns Skyrim and ARMA II and are now buying their second set of copies...
You would be wrong then, because I still don't own it. I'm waiting for the price to drop even lower.

64. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 07:20 Dev

Quboid wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 07:13:
kyleb wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 03:05:
See here for example's sake.

Not really the best example, I hope.

Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.
But I appreciate the link. I didn't realize such a mod existed for hl2. The fileplanet one is an old outdated version, but it makes me want to try it.

6668 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo