Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6685 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble Bundle Mojam 2 Today
2. Re: Humble Bundle Mojam 2 Today Feb 20, 2013, 12:17 Dev

I bit. But I wish it was longer than 3 days, seeing how well the games turned out from double fine when it was 2 weeks.

SimplyMonk wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 12:16:
I cured my addiction to buying every game that comes up on my Steam Wishlist when it goes on any sort of sale when I don't have time to play them. I've replaced it, however, with an addiction to throw $5-10 at my screen every time a Humble Indie Bundle is posted. Even when I have no clue what I'm buying.

Baby steps.
Just humble bundles? Cause there are other bundles

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Feb 20, 2013, 07:46 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:09:
Gamefly is selling Sleeping Dogs for $10. Totally worth it.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Sleeping-Dogs-Digital-Edition/5003868/
Don't do what I did and blindly buy all the DLC against the advice of people on blues. You can't disable it and some of it is basically cheat DLC giving you 8 out of 10 upgrade levels on things.

News Comments > Activison Cuts 30 Staff
4. Re: Activison Cuts 30 Staff Feb 20, 2013, 07:41 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:23:
Wash rinse repeat?

Layoffs to avoid payouts of bonuses?
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Although last time that happened there was a class action lawsuit.

saluk wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 19:40:
Damn commented on the wrong post, sorry.
I think there's a delete button

News Comments > Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat
18. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 23:09 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 18:40:
and ultimately decided they didn't think they could be legally prohibited from recreating a public space in this way.

They can't be. Not 100% on Canada, but in Europe or the US there's no way they can sue you for depicting a public place in any way, shape or form.

Creston
Anyone can sue for anything. Its can they win thats the question. Plus, that statement isn't quite correct in a few ways.
For instance, if they make an artistic interpretation of a public place and sell it, and then someone else comes and copies that interpretation and tries to pass it off as their own and sell it, then that could be violating.

Also, if there's art or sculptures in those public places, getting permission for that may be required.

It also depends if stuff is permanent or temporary.

For instance, here's a case in europe (which you seem to be claiming is 100% allowed) in which Germany's Reichstag building was temporarily changed and the change was allowed to be copyrighted. So anyone trying to sell pictures of it in that form has to get permission from that one person.
Pretty sure that's a public place, and is depiction of a particular way, shape and form.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1782186.stm

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 23:24.

News Comments > Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter
6. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 21:42 Dev

They have at least 1 proven title under their belt (not just the remakes) of their own. Plus 4 other remakes.
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

I was quite pleased with the additional content/quests in KQ2 that they did, its definitely sierra quality. They also did a straight remake (no extra content) with KQ1.

I had a lot of fun with the free remakes they did, so I'm definitely up for giving them money for something like this. The kickstarter campaign looks well planned out in advance, and they have a well defined vision they are going for, and they have a budget for the planned physical rewards, so I'm confident they can deliver.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2013, 21:34 Dev

http://groupees.com/bma
One of those bundles, $1 or $5 for this one.

Steam:
Eschalon Book II
iBomber Defense Pacific
Party of Sin
Dungeons: The Dark Lord
Planets Under Attack
Men of War: Assault Squad
Two Worlds 2
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
AIRBUCCANEERS (not yet unlocked, but should be soon).

Desura:
Livalink
Major Mayhem

A number of soundtracks (some to the games above some are other stuff), and some 30 min short film.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2013, 21:31 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:42:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:28:
The more games that require Origin, the less games I buy....and it is UBI, so no loss there....

*sigh*

Very few - if any - of the games sold on Origin require the Origin client to be running. Just EA games. Many more games require Steam to be running than Origin.
I think origin based games all require it to actually be installed at the time of installation though

News Comments > Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat
12. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 14:11 Dev

BTW, this is not a unique canadian craziness, a lot of places and buildings in the US, someone claims to own the copyright/trademark on. There was a change in law about 20 years ago that has given rise to a lot of claims and lawsuits similar to this situation.  

News Comments > Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB
50. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 05:18 Dev

Got around to reading the RPS article someone linked earlier. It says a lot of the same things I just did, only better. I like these bits:

Consoles are way more popular than PCs for gamers these days, the PS3 and 360 having created a market that we’ve never seen before. The PC hasn’t gotten smaller – it’s just the rest of the gaming industry has gotten bigger around it. PC has never stopped being a significant factor, but consoles have become a more significant one.
[...]
Battlefield 3. 8 million on the consoles, “just” 3.1m on the PC. So, once again, barely any difference between the PC and either console, and again, a massive portion of sales going to the keyboard brigade. But it seems we’re being told that the only sensible message for EA to take from this is that should just write off 28% of their overall sales of the game, and abandon this lost cause. Next is BioShock. A million on PC. 2.2m on consoles. Yup, same again then. And apparently both Left 4 Deads selling 5 million on PC, and 6 million on both consoles, means “the PC version lost out yet again.”
[...]
only 70,000 were playing TF2 yesterday, but Halo 4 had 75,000. Um, Team Fortress 2 (as well as being a cross-platform game, but never mind) came out on PC five and a half years ago. Halo 4 came out three months ago. And the PC’s TF2 is still basically matching it for concurrent players?!

rockpapershotgun link

News Comments > Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB
48. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 04:38 Dev

Also, the PC gamer market hasn't really shrunk, if anything its grown. Used to be a top seller for PC games was a few thousand copies, hitting a hundred thousand was a milestone. BUT, the consoles entered and satisfied an entire new market, the mass market. So while the sales of those are large by comparison, it doesn't mean the PC market is microscopic.

Plus, there's more profit per copy to be made in the PC market. A copy of skyrim on steam for $60 makes beth about twice as much as a $60 console copy sold from gamestop. So even if the sales from PC are half as much as any single other platform, the profit is likely close to the same.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 05:17.

47. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 04:28 Dev

Kajetan wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:59:
Dev wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:08:
Also, pretty much anyone tries cross platform play, they have to nerf PC users or boost console users (with auto aim etc), so I'm pretty sure PC users are at an advantage.
Remember this Shadowrun shooter? They hyped cross plattform play, they tried it, they scrapped it. Because this does not work with shooters. In fact, cross plattform gameplay works with only very very few genres.
Yes, but on the ones that have been tried, tahts what was typically done.

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
52. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 19, 2013, 03:15 Dev

Loose Cannon wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:51:
I realize that no one will probably read this, but I wrote a program to use the Way Back Machine (archive.org) to look at the employee directory. According to it:

Total Hires: 143
Total Fires: 35
[...]

These figures point to the layoffs not being that substantial (of course that assumes that the employee directory is accurate, which it probably isn't). If anyone is interested, I have a list of the 143 people that have been in the employee directory at some point and their hire/fire dates (Way Back Machine started crawling the site 4/14/2010, when the page had 102 people on it).
No one at all read it sorry.

Actually, I'm interested in the proportion of the recent firings to the total firings. Its definitely not accurate since valve has had at least 200 employees at one point. Also, you list any absences as firings when there's like to be just as many (or more) people voluntarily taking a different job. But it will at least give a feel for how significant this is. From your list, the figure of 9 confirmed firings out of 35 total confirmed (well departures at any rate). So that's pretty significant, its also the biggest single loss since the archive started tracking it.

42. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 03:08 Dev

I think nobody wants to play bungie games. That statement is just as valid as his.

Also, pretty much anyone tries cross platform play, they have to nerf PC users or boost console users (with auto aim etc), so I'm pretty sure PC users are at an advantage.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 19, 2013, 02:55 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 00:49:
Last I heard the stats you can see in the steam client (ie, the tab top sellers) are flowing stats and per profit per revenue, not per sale. (ie, how much money did a game make, not how many copies sold) and it's most definitely not ranking how many copies a game sold. It ranks how much money a game made compared to everyone else per day. Or per hour (not quite sure, but most definitely not per week)
Thats the way the weekly ones are (revenue), because that's how valve defines them in the rss feed.
http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

BUT, the instantaneous ones in the steam client itself aren't weekly (could be hourly or daily or whatever) and could be pure numbers sold rather than revenue. Valve doesn't seem to define those much from what I can tell.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2013, 02:48 Dev

Riker wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 22:49:
Ahhh, Fallout Tactics... what a disappointing piece of garbage.
I'm tempted to buy the original fallout trilogy which is on sale for something like $6 (I have original retail editions of all of them but I'd like them on steam). However, I think I'll wait for the price to come down more. I don't want to put that much money into interplay's pocket.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 17, 2013, 05:07 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 18:43:
The President
Oh man, THAT brings back memories. I wiled away a few hours playing that mod.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2013, 04:57 Dev

There's been like 4 PC shooter games in that universe. Only one of them I really liked, one of the earlier ones where you played each race as a separate but connected campaigns.

First 2 were AVP, AVP2. Second 2 were this one and the one before it (which was also confusingly called AVP, but was 2010 rather than 1999)

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 22:34 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 20:51:
Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 14:00:
Wait, so it didn't get dx11 I'd heard, but it didn't even get dx10 now too?

the difference between dx10 and dx11 is negligible.
Yes, but my point is that I don't like it when games stick to dx 9 because of consoles.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2013, 15:44.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
33. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 16:54 Dev

Info on virtual setup to get the tux item. Sounds like TF2 doesn't play well in a virtual box, but it works well enough to get the tux. Kinda like a hackintosh worked well enough to get the earbuds but couldn't actually play the game lol.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3078518
guide 1
guide 2

A few different guides. One of them talks about linking your existing TF2 content so you don't have to redownload.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 14:00 Dev

Wait, so it didn't get dx11 I'd heard, but it didn't even get dx10 now too?  

6685 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo