Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 14:07 Dev

Actually what the big companies do is make plenty of profit on paper and in reality. Then they just do a perfectly legal double irish with dutch sandwich, and pretty much not pay any of it to the gov.

Apple and Google are just a couple examples, there's plenty more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:57 Dev

I agree with some of his points to some extent (also steam is STILL pretty klunky). But, there's far far far more reasons EA=evil is a popular theme, than just that they use a lot of DLC and microtransactions.

For instance, they often buy out a studio and kill it. They have tons of examples in their history, like bullfrog or origin.

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
11. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 1, 2013, 23:48 Dev

Whenever we talk about what the fantasy of Diablo is and what we want the core gameplay to be, never do we say “we want players to farm gold and go buy items off the auction house”.

BULLLLCRAP. Because that's sure as heck how you've designed the game!

Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 23:21:
What's going on is that Blizzard probably never intended for the RMAH to be a dominant, permanent fixture. As D3 wanes, they'll back away from monetizing it so hard. Yeah sure it'll still be there, but they made their millions and can ease back on all roads leading to the RMAH, figuring that in doing so they can claim they listen to their fans and come out like the good guys.
Thats a good point. I never thought about them backing off from that a bit as sales declined. But I doubt its quite near the time for them to do that. They are still selling the game for $50-$60.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 28, 2013, 22:40 Dev

SSNs of 26,000 Former US Government Employees Exposed Due to Printing Misalignment.
Attacker exposes ABC forum contributors.
SSNs of 26,000 Former US Government Employees Exposed Due to Printing Misalignment.

Blues double posts news due to a HTML misalignment

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 28, 2013, 22:39 Dev

I RTFA. Congress (fed and state) will never wait for better research to come in. They have to pass laws NOW NOW NOW, without bothering to read them. Like that one Illinois law that was going to let police do yearly warrantless searches to see if people had guns. The excuse from the guy who proposed it was that he didn't know it was in there and hadn't read it.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 28, 2013, 22:29 Dev

If anyone wasn't aware of those trends (mobile games getting bigger, more indies, more crowdfunding) then they are living in a cave.  

News Comments > EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers
16. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 Dev

BTW, if more MMO's aimed for 100k levels of subs (so they'd be profitable at that number), they'd be successful. There's a number of success stories in that range, and not just EVE.

But too many of them aim for the millions (as in they'd have to get millions of subs or go bankrupt) and fail.

Anyway, EVE is a good example of a company that aimed to be profitable at a practical and achievable number of subscribers, and they succeeded.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2013, 07:57 Dev

Rigs wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 07:37:
Is BF3 for sale anywhere? I haven't gotten it yet, been waiting for a really good deal but I'm itchin' to play now that most of the DLC's are out and I'm really getting to the bottom of my 'to play' pile...

=-Rigs-=
They had some sorta 70% off or some such on origin not too long ago.

News Comments > EA All-in on Microtransactions
25. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 11:57 Dev

Endo wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:45:
EA: Where you go to pay to win!
At least they aren't pretending anymore

News Comments > The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End
13. Re: The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End Feb 27, 2013, 01:48 Dev

LOL, check the store description, they removes all numerical references, like to the km size of maps, how many players on a server, etc. They also removed any reference to being able to use private servers. Presumably this is now the actual release, and not the "foundation release" ?
I wonder if anyone at valve bothered to test the game this time before putting it back?
If anyone needs a reminder:
"A Shocking Interview With The War Z Developer On False Steam Store Claims"
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

wallace321 wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 23:54:
Wow, just wow. I can't believe it but you're right, there are <500 people playing A:CM right now. I assume that must be in my region? North America?
No, steam player numbers are global on all steam owners. I don't know if ACM is steamworks though, non steamworks games, steam can only track steam players.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 04:01 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:57:
The problem for publishers right now is in terms of pricing their product at retail. Online, they can pretty much name their price and change it at will. Brick and mortar retailers will likely try to get their own pound of flesh out of such short-term sales, asking for things like refunding the difference on outstanding inventory or a window of exclusivity on a sale, things that you don't see as issues online presently. As a result, a publisher is likely forced to stick with frequent price drops throughout a game's life cycle, using time as a mechanism of price discrimination, but will have the benefit of being able to make such changes on a somewhat random basis such that consumers don't get caught in a habit of "waiting out the next sale".
Yes, but thats not a problem they can't control. Look at apple and how much it price controls. They are crazy strict about it. Which is why you almost never see apple stuff go on sale. Retailers make almost nothing on their products, and apple has strict rules on the minimum price they can advertise at. They aren't the only ones, those things at amazon that say you have to add to cart to see the price? Those are signs that they are being coerced in pricing, thats how they are getting around the "you can't advertise our product at less than this price."
And I seem to recall a recent SCOTUS decision saying that kinda thing was ok.

Someone like activision probably has the muscle to start trying that kinda crap with CoD and gamestop.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 20:12 Dev

HAHHAAHHAH.
Pretty sure they won't miss this excuse to raise the price. Even if htey have to start out doing a pre-order discount so if you pre-order its the expected $60.

From that article, pachter is practically salivating over it in fact:
I would applaud the publishers if they tried to charge $69.99" said Wedbush Securities' Michael Pachter.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2013, 16:51 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 13:32:
I'd hardly call it "Triple monitor gaming on a budget" when you use 3 x 30 inch monitors.

What I'd really like to see is a pair of "complimentary" square monitors sold for the purposes of triple mon gaming. So, if I have a 1920 x 1200 monitor, I can get two square 1200x1200 monitors for my peripheral vision. Not only does this require less graphical processing power, but it also fits better on my desk.
Square LCDs are unusual. There'd have to be a big demand, and I don't think a few people lacking in a couple inches of desk space are that market. Even 4:3 monitors are pretty rare nowadays.
Also, games probably aren't going to like trying to fit into a non standard set like that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 22:08 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 21:39:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 20:47:
Or Enhanced Higher level gameplay

I love that everyone HATED the level-scaling in oblivion, so Bethesda changed it for FO3 and Skyrim, and modders are putting the level scaling right back in. As a developer, you just can't win.

Creston
Well but they forced it on everyone. This is just people who want it. And, notice that there's other solutions too. Like the other guy talking in this thread about that ACE thing, that scales your damage and leveling back a bit, rather than anyone else in the world.

Thats the great thing about mods, everyone can find something they like, or they can do their own

Or there's the no mod solution someone else mentioned, just start using things you have no skills for.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 18:11 Dev

That AMA from the congress staffer was fascinating. Has peeks behind the curtain. Stuff I always pretty much figured, but now is confirmed.

Some of the interesting bits:

"SOPA was pretty simple really - most Members don't understand technology or care about technology - and the biggest baddest interest group says that they have a solution that will save American jobs and defend IP, and people are like umm ok, cool! I was in meetings like this"

A question about how much lobbyists are involved:
Unfortunately, most Hill staffers do so many different issues it's almost impossible for them to have anything close to "expertise" on any of them - I'm not disparaging them many work very hard and most would admit this themselves.
So as a result, staffers often rely upon lobbyists who are seen by most as industry experts. Sometimes these lobbyists have decades of experience in an industry and really do know their stuff - often times they do not however. But either way, they are not trying to present the facts, they are presenting their facts. I always realized that this should be taken with a grain of salt. But in answer to your question, they are VERY involved."

News Comments > ROAM Kickstarter Ends Today
11. Re: ROAM Kickstarter Ends Today Feb 24, 2013, 15:51 Dev

datachasm wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 11:54:
looks interesting but i dont really need it and its making goal.

i would however like to see Rouge System get made!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system?ref=category

maybe a small story here could help? hmmmm....

Submit it to blue (submit news link on left) and he probably will put it up.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 15:21 Dev

Lawmakers passing laws they don't read. Nothing new  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite GMG Pre-order Bonuses [Updated]
8. Re: BioShock Infinite Pre-order Bonuses Get Bonuses Feb 23, 2013, 18:39 Dev

One time steam even told me I was going to get the pre-order bonus when I ordered it elsewhere, and I didn't. I took a screenshot and send it to useless steam support, and it didn't do a thing.  

News Comments > Arma III Steam Exclusive
9. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:01 Dev

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 15:53:
So then it wouldnt be released this year. What gives?
It costs money to stretch development along. Some studios could go bankrupt from a small delay like that (I doubt BI would, they should have a huge pile of cash from all the ARMA 2 sales unless they are spending it all on ferraris , but my point still stands).

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
3. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 16:46 Dev

wait, WTF about gamefaqs? It was bought out by them a while back
Edit: Doh, that was gamespot that they merged with, not gamespy.

I could care less about UGO or whatever

Edit: And WTF is "askmen" that they say is one of their flagship brands?

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 16:55.

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo