Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
97. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:06 Dev

polygon interview
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

A couple good interviews. Here's some tidbits:

InXile believes it has learned a critical lesson from its crowdfunding success. The creative leads at InXile believe that the traditional publisher/developer model of funding video games is broken, and the developer is staking its future on that claim.

and
RPS – Can you talk about why Wizards of the Coast were resistant to licensing Planescape again?

Fargo: We asked and were rebuffed. In reality we didn’t push very hard on licensing it as the team was excited to work with Monte on Numenera and they felt that there would be less creative restriction. And WotC has been pretty silent on this space for some time. Neither Feargus nor I was able to get a Baldur’s Gate 3 project going.

RPS – Did you meet any resistance when seeking the Torment name?

Fargo: I patiently waited for someone to do something with a Torment concept but nothing happened. After many years the rights expired and allowed me to step in and put together a great team to make another title of its kind. We will improve on the mechanics and deliver a deep narrative story that is deserving of the name Torment.

So apparently the torment trademark was expired which is how they can use that, but they don't have IP from wizards.
And they've tried to do BG3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:29 Dev

Riker wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 16:23:
Torment has never been on my radar, so I'm going to hold off on this (well, that, and they don't have funding options for non-Americans at the moment).
Way back in the doublefine days, ways were found to do funding from other countries and still use kickstarter. As I recall, they were things like getting a pre-paid credit card (since many in europe don't have credit cards), and creating a amazon.com account (which worked even if you weren't in US).

I imagine they will add paypal options though.

87. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:27 Dev

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/420739

A much more detailed explanation why they are doing this now rather than waiting for wasteland 2 to finish was done in a wasteland 2 update.
Some quotes from it:

inXile, with all of our internal employees and outside contractors, consists of enough people to be considered about the size of a team and a half. This is by design. We always want a small and efficient team (the “half team”) to design both our product and our product development plan. This is called pre-production. It is the most important time in a project’s life cycle
[...]
The “half team” in our team and a half model consists of writers and artists as well as designers and a producer. They are the ones that define the game design, write the dialog, define the combat, the UI, the missions, and even parts of the level design. We spent about 6 months working on this pre-production for Wasteland 2 and we would like to spend even longer doing it on Torment. For inXile, this “half team” that did the pre-production for Wasteland is done, their work on Wasteland 2 is completely finished. We want to get this group into pre-production on Torment to keep them working together on a project we are all passionate about.

Currently, Wasteland 2 is in full production with a team of 15+ people cranking away on it. This is the full team that consists of engineers, scripters, character modelers, environment artists, and animators. This team is implementing the plan created during the Wasteland 2 pre-production cycle.
[...]
• We do want to be abundantly clear that no Wasteland money is to be spent developing Torment. No Torment money is being spent on Wasteland 2. That said, lots of tools, plug-ins and pipeline processes that have taken man months to create will be shared between the projects if we can keep team continuity.

• The pre-production of Torment is not going to hinder the development of Wasteland in any way. As explained above, they are different teams during the pre-production.
emphasis added

85. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:15 Dev

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:46:
Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:44:
Being an utter tit, I only now just realized that the first picture is a video.

LOL at that kid. "I just love it, Brian! You just say 'there's kickbacks! Deal with it!'"
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Fucking fantastic. Fuck publishers.

Creston

"Don't you just fire them when they're done?!"

Kid/publishers: "Months? For writing?"
Brian: "That's the way we did it back in Interplay days."

83. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:09 Dev

peteham wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:03:
My Kickstarter-total is getting ridiculous with close to 10 backed games, but no way am I skipping this one.
Wimp. Say that when you get over 50.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change
15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 16:03 Dev

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:46:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:28:
Meh, those are just Star Wars logos that were cool before and will remain cool (as far as nerdy tats go). Not like they tattooed "SWTOR IS GOTY OF ALL TIME WOO BIOWARE!!!" underneath...

I would pay good money to see someone put that in ink on their body...
How much is good money? Because for $1 mill, I'd do it, in small writing, somewhere where no one can see it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
108. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 15:58 Dev

ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:16:
You can't make this shit up. Polygon lowered the review score due to all the problems that this new SC has.
Button press sounds apparently get above the fold props now.

From the review:

Our own reviewer, Russ Pitts, has suffered disconnected sessions this afternoon that resulted in lost progress, corrupted avenue placement, and twin monster attacks.

Joy, the EA server problems don't just cause momentary pauses in gameplay, but lost time and corruption too.

News Comments > Steam Box Prototypes in "Three to Four Months"
8. Re: Steam Box Prototypes in Mar 6, 2013, 08:55 Dev

Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 03:40:
No comments about the 'biometric feedback controller'?

FTFA: "You need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is -- what their heart rate is, things like that -- in order to offer them a new experience each time they play," Newell said.

WTF?
Gabe himself said that link

Yet another reason why I think its years away, if they are trying to put something like new types of controllers and sensors, in addition to being just a steam box.

Presumably he meant aroused as in adrenaline while gaming. Not the other way. Then again, with gabe, who knows.

90. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 02:32 Dev

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 00:11:
Also, I did lose connection to the Net a couple times (one a 10min break) and it didn't kick me out of the game/city.
Slightly better than ubi's then, because I bought settlers on a good sale and got kicked out on even a short disconnection.

88. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 23:55 Dev

Redmask wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 22:39:
Also if that jerkoff EA defender pops his head in here to give me shit about how EA is sunshine and roses and people are such meanies to Origin then let me preemptively say: get stuffed you moron.
He already did, or at least one of them did.

News Comments > Steam Box Prototypes in "Three to Four Months"
2. Re: Steam Box Prototypes in Mar 5, 2013, 21:15 Dev

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 21:07:
"though he makes no mention of how hardware is impacted by Valve Time"

HAHAHAHA Hilarious!
3-4 years

News Comments > Game Mod Causes a "Six Strikes" Strike?
6. Re: Game Mod Causes a Mar 5, 2013, 16:08 Dev

Pretty sure throttling and takedowns are different.  

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 10:01 Dev

LOL, hilarious. They didn't offer pre-loads because the simcity team was patching up to the last second.

They would have been better off to let pre-loads go with the gold version, then do a day 0 patch. Since its always online anyway, it would still force everyone to update to play, only it would have let the majority of bandwidth be spread out, rather than concentrated.

Valve learned this long ago which is why they started pre-loads in the first place.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 3, 2013, 17:54 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 17:39:
Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 16:10:
Steam used to be friendly like this, but ever since they released their "locked to this computer" security DRM measures

Wow I haven't noticed this, if true I'd thought we'd have a thread meltdown somewhere along the line about this.
Pretty sure he's talking about steamguard which is OPTIONAL and can be DISABLED. See below where I describe how it actually works.
Valve also has documentation on it
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4020-ALZM-5519

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 18:03.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2013, 17:23 Dev

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 16:10:
get an EA origin account which you can share with a friend. Steam used to be friendly like this, but ever since they released their "locked to this computer" security DRM measures, it's a real pain to switch multiple users back and forth between one account. you may think it's sad, but it's true, Origin and other PC download distributors might be the only way to keep the ability to "share" your games that you've bought with your friends.
Pretty sure you aren't supposed to share accounts like that.

But if you are talking about steamguard feature, it only requires a code the first time its used on a particular computer. After that, no code. It can also be disabled in the account settings if you dont want it, then there won't be any problems with it asking for a code after that.
Steamguards main purpose is to keep users (mostly those who are too dumb to avoid responding with their name and password in phishing scams) from getting their accounts stolen. If you get an email saying that someone is trying to use your account and you didn't do it, you know its a problem.
Its also an OPTIONAL FEATURE.

The main requirement for steam is that it's not running on a bunch of computers using the same account online simultaneously. It only allows 1 simultaneous online login (although there may be ways to avoid that with offline stuff), but it can be installed on many computers at once.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 17:55.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:24 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 13:39:
Wish this zombie wave in games would finally stop now and devs would move on.
Hmm let me think... will devs stop making games that sell good?

Zombies have been in for a number of years now and show no sign of stopping in movies, books, games, TV shows, etc. Walking dead is quite popular. The ARMA 2 mod shows there's so much demand (apparently more than for their base game), that the devs decided to do a standalone game.

Fastest way to get public fixated on something else is to come up with something different/better/more interesting. So go for it.

News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2013, 02:07 Dev

Julio wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 23:51:
Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 20:15:
I've heard he called PC gamers whiny entitled pirates but when I asked this person for a source, none was forthcoming.

Here's 10 seconds worth of checking on google, the first bunch of links that came up. I'm sure there's better out there, but whatever, it's not like its hard to find CliffyB calling PC gamers whiny pirates.

First One

Second One

Third One

I was tempted to do something like that too. But then I realized, it won't matter to him. He preemptively even says its a reasonable statement just in case anyone actually does search out statements.

Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 20:15:
It's hardly an unreasonable comment

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 02:19.

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
28. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 2, 2013, 22:55 Dev

Flatline wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 18:41:
I'm not necessarily talking about sales as I am about interest and player participation.
Sorry, if you aren't talking about the former, then you aren't speaking the actiblizz language.

News Comments > Op Ed
61. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 14:59 Dev

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 14:28:
Do you know what else is true in Hollywood?
Yes. That they started out as a bunch of IP pirates. Its the only reason why hollywood is on the west coast rather than the east coast.

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 14:35 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 14:16:
Dev wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 14:07:
Actually what the big companies do is make plenty of profit on paper and in reality. Then they just do a perfectly legal double irish with dutch sandwich, and pretty much not pay any of it to the gov.

Apple and Google are just a couple examples, there's plenty more.

The difference is the two examples you post are making and reporting plenty of profit and their stocks reflect that. Where as EA shows huge losses on there public quarterlies aka on paper.
Obviously. Which more than likely means they are actually losing money in reality (not just paper). There's no upside to a company trying to lose money on paper instead of the double irish with dutch, especially if its a company with a lot of IP. One of the differences between a losing money (even if you believe its just on paper) and making money company is stock prices, which makes a huge difference to a ton of things. Not the least of which is stock options and bonuses to CEOs. So they have personal making tons of income reasons to show profit.

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 14:28:
Please stop saying "only loses money on paper."

People tend to say that a ton because it's true in Hollywood. Do you know what else is true in Hollywood? The companies are divisions of other companies.
I agree with your overall point, but a minor nitpick, the music industry also does hollywood type accounting.

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo