Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6686 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access
6. Re: StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access Mar 9, 2013, 03:39 Dev

Bubicus wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 03:30:
Dev, It's been playable on Desura for the Kickstarter supporters for months. You didn't get a key for that?
Pretty sure that was closed beta and indev versions, neither of which were for the $10 tier.

I'm just a little peeved that we didn't get our keys even a little before the mass public could get them.

And yes, I know he's having trouble figuring out a mail merge on an excel spreadsheet with the addresses and keys. That's why I'm only a little peeved at the moment.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 03:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
43. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:25 Dev

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:47:
I feel sorry for Maxis but not for EA.
Maxis is LOOOONNNNGGG gone, many years ago. EA basically just kept their branding.

News Comments > StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access
1. Re: StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access Mar 8, 2013, 21:15 Dev

I kickstarted this for $10, now if they'd only get around to sending me my key  

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
3. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 Dev

Yeah, he should have tons of money from ultima still kicking around.
My quick look at the KS didn't show anything where he convinced as to why he needed the money.

Be aware though, that the most valuable properties are available to very limited number of players and will likely be in high demand! (Only a few dozen City homes will be available to players in-game.)

Once a house is purchased, players will need to pay regular taxes on it of course. But as a special thank you to select Kickstarter supporters, all housing obtained by making a Kickstarter pledge of Citizen, Lord, Baron, Duke or Lord of the Manor will be tax free for life!
Citizen is a "mere" $500. And although only a few "dozen" will be avail, there's 400+ on kickstarter rewards.
Yeah, that sounds to me like its going to be a pay 2 win MMORPG type game. And/or a subscription game. Nothing much stands out about the game from the quick look I took at the KS. The timing kinda sucks since its at the same time as torment kickstarter, I know he planned this ahead of time, but still not good timing. Also I was never a big fan of ultima back in the day.

Pass

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 11:19 Dev

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:15:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:58:
No, but I went with the all digital $125 on this one to make up for it.
I went with the $75 all digital. Highfive
They should make a deal with GoG to provide a GoG credit for the original on the higher tiers.

24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 11:18 Dev

sauron wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:13:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:58:
sauron wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:50:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:32:
I have to say the buzz around this has me intrigued despite having never touched the original game.

I never did, either.

You guys really never played Planescape:Torment? Are you serious? Am I dreaming?

If you didn't play it yet, head over to GOG.com and grab it. It's amazing.

Besides, if you don't I'll send the orcs round. Extra incentive!

No, but I went with the all digital $125 on this one to make up for it.

I feel like FedExing you my CDs. It really is that good.

While you wait for this one, you can play the original! It's a win-win!
Cheaper to pay the $10 at GoG.

Also, there's a guide on GOG for installing the best of the mods:
http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide
The mods do things like enable higher resolution, widescreen support, lots of restored content, adjustable font sizes, etc.

I just did this myself. I played a few hours a long time ago, I'm going to try and play the whole thing this time around.

Or it can be played entirely like it is from the GoG installer. They have pre-incoperated the dd fix and everything should work fine from XP to windows 7 (windows 8 is iffy, I've read some posts about issues). Just click and go if you dont want to take 15 mins d/ling and installing the mods according to that step by step guide.

News Comments > Dodgy Steam Key Warning
22. Re: Dodgy Steam Key Warning Mar 8, 2013, 10:30 Dev

El Pit wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 01:03:
Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 22:55:
A lot of discount key sites are grey market rather than stolen. They purchase legit copies of the games from places like china (where they are priced much lower) and resell the keys online. Most of the time that doesn't cause any issues. Sometimes though, companies decide to get picky about what region you are in vs what region the key was purchased from. That one time valve killed a bunch of orange box sales when they were purchased in a diff region than they were used in.

Dev, there's plenty of problems with keys from the East. It's all over the Steam forums like "I bought a key, but it turned out to be Russian/Polish/whatever and I can't activate it".

Don't buy from dubious online key stores. It's a risk. Stores like GMG are alright, of course.
Most of the time russian language only keys/activation are known ahead of time. But yeah, if its a brand new game, don't go rushing to those kinda sites unless you've done research on exactly what you are getting.
With grey market its buyer beware.
Far far better to get stuff at places like GMG. Besides they often get down to $30 on pre-orders.
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:16:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:39:
They bear the cost because Steam/valve didnt handle the transaction. These keys were purchased on UW's website, you then got a serial you had to activate on steam.
Yes, but how exactly is a retailer supposed to prevent a stolen credit card being used? If a bank knows that a card is stolen then any purchases should be prevented; if not then the bank should be held liable for the cost. That way there would be an incentive for them to improve their security. Passing the cost on to retailers is incredibly unfair.

When they say $30,000 in fees, I'm interested to know whether that's an actual loss. If they are simply refunding the purchase price and invalidating the licence then there is no material loss for the retailer (only the consumer) - they are simply refunding illegal purchases. If that's money they'd had to pay in costs then that's crazy.
There IS some fairness, because oftentimes its a retailers poor security, not a banks. But not always. And it can really be painful for a small business to get chargebacks from circumstances that have nothing to do with them.
Also, the key site is quite likely out $30k from all this (from fees and the cost of buying the legit russian copies in the first place). Thats a risk they take in that business though, they make plenty from selling other keys to absorb that kinda thing.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
71. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 09:59 Dev

WaltC wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:41:
Hopefully, EA will then sell the IP to someone who can use it to make the kind of game people want to buy.
HAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Man thats funny. EA selling IP.
Since when?
InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:34:
Depending on how well this game does, and I suspect it will do pretty well regardless of launch and its myrad of other problems I predict that this game will have at least 10 expansions/DLC content, maybe more.

How many expansions/sequels did the Sims get? Lets list them:

The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3
The Sims Online
The Sims Stories
MySims
The Sims Carnival
The Sims Medieval
The Sims Social
That's like 1/10th of the list.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 09:53 Dev

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:07:
GameSpot just gave this game a 5 out of 10.

This is Gamespot we're talking about. At this point this game is a giant trainwreck.
LOL nice.

BTW, something interesting that was mentioned on one of the sites, is that metacritic never changes its initial score even if a site changes its review score. So that one site that did a 9.5 then dropped to a 4, well metacritic still lists them as 9.5
Which means EA really doesn't care about that review score drop, since metacritic isn't incorporating it.
But if gamespot gives it a 5 from the start, THAT makes a difference to EA because of metacritic. Also because its a big name.

15. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:48 Dev

Sho wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:34:
I really enjoyed their first video update as well. One thing that made me a bit reluctant to back initially (before they actually launched and their pitch blew me away) is that I felt the, well, entertainment value of the post-campaign Wasteland 2 process hasn't been as high as with some other projects I've backed. Yes, yes, I know, these teams are primarily supposed to deliver us great games, not to put on a show, but watching the Double Fine Adventure web series or the Project Eternity updates - it's just fun. With DFA I feel that even if the game were to turn out badly, I'd already have gotten my money's worth. So I'm rather happy the Torment team seems to want to broadcast more.
The show costs money too. With DFA, they budgeted that in from the start, and even increased the documentary company's pay since they were scaling up the size of the project they were doing.
I've seen a lot of game dev stuff I've never seen before with DFA and I'm grateful, but with other games, I think I just prefer the just spend their resources on the game itself.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2013, 23:10 Dev

A sucinct, organized answer:
No

They didn't listen before hand, why would they now?

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
31. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 7, 2013, 23:08 Dev

This is just sad.

So when they calculated capacity, they just assumed that people who are the die hard most fans (who pre-order without reviews) will only play for a few minutes and let someone else take a server "slot", so they only needed the capacity to run something like 1% of the total pre-orders?

And did they even bother to add servers to help with the problems before they launched in those other countries?
If they had a tiny clue, they would have used those servers for USA, announced a last minute delay in launching all the other markets, while they got it stabilized. Then at least the rest of the world would only be complaining about a launch delay (which isn't unheard of) rather than having the same crappy experience. It would also have fixed the problems faster (well if server capacity was their only problem).

I'll re-iterate what I put in the other thread
Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 21:58:
BTW, I think a lot of weirdness reviewers/players are experiences (like cities saying they are out of water when they have way more than they need), and the rebounding thing where a city bounces between two extremes is due to server issues.
I think the game has to contact the server every few seconds/minutes to do some sorta processing of your city (such as hey, he's got high water supplies, does he actually get to have the buildings marked as supplied?) and when those requests are delayed or lost, then it can't verify they are supplied.
It would be pretty stupid to do something like that, since it adds to server load and should be done on the client end. But, they likely did it because they either didn't think it through, or were trying to do this as some form of online integrated DRM thing so that the online requirement couldn't easily be hacked out.

I'm more certain than ever they have a lot of processing going on in the server end, or maybe its all copy protection stuff where every minute it polls server "am I authorized to let this user have his water, electricity and sewer perform for 30 more seconds?"

News Comments > Dodgy Steam Key Warning
13. Re: Dodgy Steam Key Warning Mar 7, 2013, 22:55 Dev

A lot of discount key sites are grey market rather than stolen. They purchase legit copies of the games from places like china (where they are priced much lower) and resell the keys online. Most of the time that doesn't cause any issues. Sometimes though, companies decide to get picky about what region you are in vs what region the key was purchased from. That one time valve killed a bunch of orange box sales when they were purchased in a diff region than they were used in.  

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
88. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 21:58 Dev

BTW, I think a lot of weirdness reviewers/players are experiences (like cities saying they are out of water when they have way more than they need), and the rebounding thing where a city bounces between two extremes is due to server issues.
I think the game has to contact the server every few seconds/minutes to do some sorta processing of your city (such as hey, he's got high water supplies, does he actually get to have the buildings marked as supplied?) and when those requests are delayed or lost, then it can't verify they are supplied.
It would be pretty stupid to do something like that, since it adds to server load and should be done on the client end. But, they likely did it because they either didn't think it through, or were trying to do this as some form of online integrated DRM thing so that the online requirement couldn't easily be hacked out.

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
87. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 21:48 Dev

the "manual" that pops up when you push the "Game Manual" button on the Options UI isn't even working right now, but when it is it's just a two-page PDF of default keybindings. The Help Center button, right now, is doing nothing at all, but earlier it just took me to the forums.
[...]
This, by the way, is the third time around this 20-minute clock. Each time I think I'm getting close to playing, I'm booted back again. And this is after EA added a second server to both the US West and US East regions, both of which are at least as full as this one.
[...]
Remember: if you really want to make a game publisher sweat, tell them (over Twitter - believe me, they're listening) you're not preordering because you're concerned about launch issues. They're all about that these days.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress?page=2

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 21:54.

News Comments > Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity
34. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 21:34 Dev

jimnms wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 20:16:
At least they're not losing money due to piracy.
Yeah thats way more important than losing money from having your game pulled from the biggest online retailer.

News Comments > Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity
22. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:02 Dev

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:16:
They refused refunds too!
After offering refunds for people on their forums. Most digital games aren't refundable. It wouldn't look so bad if they hadn't actually OFFERED refunds then broke their word.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
36. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 18:11 Dev

Update #3 is up
Adds new stretch goals, and adds additional details and items to previously achieved stretch goals, such as the new game area "Ruins of Ossiphagan"

News Comments > GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound
38. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 17:31 Dev

First time in a long time I remember nvidia having serious issues at a launch of a game. Most of the time its ATI, especially with their crossfire stuff (which can take weeks or months after release for them to get around releasing a driver to support).  

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
35. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 16:56 Dev

saluk wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 14:10:
I wonder how many hours to pass all these stretch goals. 2, 3 more maybe? This is crazy. I haven't been able to play all the way through the first game. I like it a lot but I don't quite get the rabid following it seems to have.
Its at about 35,000 backers. Why is it hard to believe that worldwide, there's 35k people interested and fans of the original?
On gog, there's 8000+ REVIEWS (it's a 5 star average) of the game. And this is many years after its release. How many people actually write up a review of a game they like, a classic older game? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 100? If its 1 out of 10, then the gog customer base alone is 80,000 for the original game. If its 1 out of 100, then its 800,000 people. I'm guessing the GoG sales are somewhere between those 2 numbers.

Even if backers hit 100k, this is still a tiny drop in the bucket compared to something like minecraft (nearly 10 million), or portal 2 (4+ million). Or the 10 million who pay $15 a month for WoW. And microscopic compared to something like CoD: Blops, which is over 25 million worldwide.

All of this publicity is being generated by a mere 35,000 customer product (at the moment anyway, and after release it will likely grow even further). In most mass markets, numbers like that would be considered a failure.
I don't consider it a failure, but what I'm trying to convey is that while its a big deal on kickstarter and bluesnews, in the wider market place, this is a drop in the bucket. Even if you just look at a week of steam sales, its way way higher than something like that.

I don't know what the worldwide PC gamer market is, lets make a wild guess and call it 50 million (worldwide xbox 360 consoles are 76m). 35k is a mere 0.07%, or something like 3 out of every 50,000.
Those numbers just made me think. If its 50 million worldwide, that means 1 out of 5 PC gamers subscribe to WoW. OMG. Even if the PC gamer market is 100 million worldwide, that still means 1 out of every 10 PC gamers pays monthly for WoW. ZOMG.
And since CoD:blops has 25m+ sales (and PS3 is similar in installed base to xbox 360), that means 1 out of every 6 console owners has purchased that game.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 17:18.

6686 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo