Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6698 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2014, 01:08 Dev

So... how is this news again?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale (2)
39. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 4, 2014, 04:19 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 03:45:
My guess is you just forgot which troll account you logged in to. BTW, you can change your name in the Account Options any time you want to.
LOL

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
64. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 04:16 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 03:27:
So no, your theory is not possible.
There's a difference between not possible, and not plausible.
My theory is very possible.

I'm claiming its POSSIBLE the other things were coincidence.

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
26. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 4, 2014, 02:35 Dev

Razumen wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 01:52:
Huh? You need to log into Steam to play your games, EVEN if you turn offline mode on. That's pretty obvious an implementation of DRM, stop being a blatant troll.
Again, FALSE. See my previous reply right before yours

Its correct for majority, but not all. And your reply didn't leave any room for exceptions.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
86. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 4, 2014, 01:55 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:19:
BitWraith wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 08:59:
Gog knows they won't be coming back, or they wouldn't have made that melodramatic post saying they were going away. Otherwise, they would have said "The Fallout Games are temporarily unavailable."

Ha. Well, you'd hope they wouldn't do that again, anyway. Every time I'm about to buy something from GOG I think about that whole fiasco and that rambling interview where they were dressed up as monks, and about 3/4 of the time I end up not clicking Buy.
And the condescending non apology (though I think that's what you meant by the monks)

31. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 4, 2014, 01:53 Dev

El Pit wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:07:
Prez wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 10:22:
Microsoft selling PC games. Heh. Hehehe. That's funny.

But... but... *sniff* MS is the savior of pc gaming! Remember! They said so when they gave us Games for Windows Live!
Plus they rededicate themselves to PC games every couple months!

24. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 4, 2014, 01:51 Dev

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 01:36:
You CAN NOT play a game WITHOUT steam running. Offline mode is no defense or excuse.
100% false.
I'll admit its a minority, but there ARE a number of games that can be run straight out of their folders without steam going.
Had you used "most" instead of "a" it would have been true though.
I tested a bunch and reported on my results the last time someone made this false claim. Someone also linked a page recently that lists a bunch.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

If you feel like paying me a fair hourly rate, I'll even test the rest of my 1000+ steam games for you

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 02:37.

60. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 01:34 Dev

I went back and checked every one of the links in blues blurb. Its all about claims, no hard facts yet, beyond steam having issues. My theory fits steam having issues at that point in time just as well as the DDOS one does. EA's issues could be unrelated, could be a DDOS or could be something else entirely.

I'll admit the DDOS theory is possible, but so is mine

58. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:55 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:22:
Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:09:
I don't think it was a ddos. I think it was everyone frantically trying to buy/sell/craft globes since this time valve said they were going away.

And valve's front end setup couldn't handle it.

Did you look at any of the links at all? 2 groups were DDOSing Origin, Battle.net, Steam among others. See the Twitter feeds linked in the stories.

hackers-claim-to-have-broken-eas-origin-service

pair-claim-to-have-attacked-steams-servers

People can claim things that don't happen. Just because they claimed it, isn't proof a ddos attach hit steam.
Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:24:
Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:15:
Interesting. Any links? I'd like to read up on it.

I guess that answers my question in my previous post...you didn't read anything. You didn't read the links in the story Blue posted above, and you didn't read any links earlier in the thread.
As for it being used to make money...I haven't heard anything like that, but who knows.

I was specifically asking for links to making money, the links about the twitter users are above of course.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 4, 2014, 00:39 Dev

AWESOME!!!! I didn't know they got the rights!!
Sounds like they have a good handle on why it was popular, I hope it turns out to be a great game. Pre-order game for me for sure

Oh and I hope they add multiplayer space battles, even if it is the same keyboard. I had so much fun back in the day doing that.

21. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 4, 2014, 00:26 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 21:19:
How is Steam DRM? You can play the games offline. And Steam has no right to revoke your license to software. If companies like Marvel or Bethsoft pull their games or change their licensing that's not Steam's fault. So tell us again about who's literate.
Steam can and has revoked accounts or games before. Just recently I read about a game being removed by valve from everyone's steam account. Even GoG isn't doing that, just removing from store for future purchases.

News Comments > PopCap CEO Retiring
16. Re: PopCap CEO Retiring Jan 4, 2014, 00:19 Dev

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:01:
"We need to get back to the place where we used to be and not just in mobile,"

"PopCap’s mission right now is to create the greatest mobile game studio in the world,"

Did Microsoft write this press release for them?
[emphasis added]
So I wasn't the only one that noticed that outright contradiction in 2 sentences? lol

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:22:
EA is regularly lauded as one of the best places to work. So leaving isn't as understandable as it might be on its face.
Wait what? Says who? Everything I've seen is the complete opposite, including the class action lawsuits filed by employees for crap they've pulled with overtime.

55. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:15 Dev

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:59:
What did you list them for? I listed a few for 15 cents (with steams cut 17 cents) and made like a buck, which allowed me to easily buy the ones I didn't have.

But that was a few days ago, as well. Sounds like everyone dumped theirs?

Prices went up and down. They started high, dropped low, then this weekend they started climbing again a bit since this weekend (valve shows a price history when you click something in the market). I have no idea why the people who had 70k+ on there didn't drop their prices more, seeing as valve announced in ADVANCE that they were all going to go away
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:12:
nah, if anything it was DDoS and scripts people were using to buy and sell frantically to make money. There are reports of people making thousands in mere minutes.....
Interesting. Any links? I'd like to read up on it.

53. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:09 Dev

I don't think it was a ddos. I think it was everyone frantically trying to buy/sell/craft globes since this time valve said they were going away.

And valve's front end setup couldn't handle it.

25. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 3, 2014, 09:34 Dev

Pigeon wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 08:47:
El Pit wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 07:41:
Steam still has issues for me. My inventory won't load, and the forum is on/off. Click on a thread, and it works, click on the next page, it won't load. Click again a couple of minute slater, the page loads. I hope they find those DDoS guys and give them a short time in prison. Just long enough to impress them.

I was trying to get my winter badge finished before everything disappeared. After first I thought I'd broken it by hitting refresh 8 bazillion times trying to get a card before someone else purchased it

Also you're punishment suggestion is far too mild for the internet. I'm afraid you're going to have to suggest being drawn and quartered or Colombian neck tie if you want to be taken seriously.

If there's any ddosing going on its from many thousands of legit customers trying to craft before things disappear. Good ole steam and still not having enough front end capacity or load balancing.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2014, 21:07 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 17:16:
LittleMe wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 16:49:
I think keyboard & mouse get in the way of the touchscreen-awesome interface. Just think of the whole screen as one big start button that tucks you in at night.

Yeah, keyboard and mouse is SO 2007. Who uses that shit anymore?
No joke, one of the places I work is still stuck on PS/2 mice and keyboards. I'm trying to push for some new KVM's in the racks, since the new servers mostly don't have those ports.

72. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:30 Dev

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:20:
How many Bethesda published games are on GOG?
Hmm. Let me count.... 1,2,3,7.... ok yeah I got it.

pretty close to none?

Wouldn't surprise me if fallout doesn't make it back to gog.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 2, 2014, 20:27 Dev

Task wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 16:09:
Not many people are aware, but the borders are considered a "constitution free zone" according to the government since 1952 as the DHS, CBP, and ICE are given authority to search people without any probable cause and disregard the 4th amendment in a boundary 100 miles from the border.
Its not like a lot of people live that close to the border though, right? Only like 2/3rds of the population or so.

34. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 02:10 Dev

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 21:28:
I'm sure Valve has a contingency plan in case they go out of business and have to shut the servers down. If you're not a moron there's no reason to worry about it today.
I know the rumors, but in reality, why would they? That would violate agreements about DRM with all the publishers, that would likely get them sued as well, theoretically that could introduce criminal charges. Plus if they are shutting down, who is going to put the manpower into doing such a thing?

Julio wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 14:47:
Blame Bethesda and Steam for their tight pro-drm stance. Hopefully everyone that wanted these got them by now.
Think about what you are saying. Games like oblivion and morrowind had such minimal DRM it was a laugh (disk check that could easily be fooled with just a burned copy). Beth has been really good about DRM in general.

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 12:13:
I don't remember seeing them on the shelves much back then. Still sad I missed them. They must have been far better when they were just released.

Best thing about all our love for the old school games is their return via KickStarter and indie studios. Can't wait for Wasteland 2!
I actually have them all as retail boxes
And I'm in wasteland 2 as well!

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2014, 02:26.

News Comments > GOG.com on DRM and Money-Back Guarantees
15. Re: GOG.com on DRM and Money-Back Guarantees Jan 2, 2014, 02:02 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 18:14:
Now there are very few games they sell that can actually be re-sold, because most of what they sell are Steam keys and of course they can't take those back once you've redeemed them. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is working on a streaming demo system, though.
It wouldn't surprise me if valve was working on reselling digital games as well. What with that german law thing.

6698 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo