Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6686 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
81. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 14:12 Dev

LOL, at least diablo 3 has hacking protections. Blizzard knew better than to trust client.

Sounds like EA threw a bunch of new employees at this project. Or everyone involved is just incompetent. I'd believe either one from EA.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:58 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:53:
Any others? I'm sure I'm missing at least half a dozen other studios that EA killed.

Creston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

51. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:53 Dev

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:21:
/ as a simoleon: leaves work, gets in car, and drives to first residential home, and barges in, wakes up old granny in bed, and I roll over to sleep.
Somedays I wouldn't mind hitting the sack in the first residence closest to my workplace either

48. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:39 Dev

Yakubs wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:09:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:04:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:59:
When everyone is blasting EA for lying, let's not let Maxis off the hook here. They deserve just as much indignation for this mess of a game release and it pains me to see them potentially getting away from this without much damage to their reputation.
There is no difference between EA and Maxis. Its the same company. EA only kept the Maxis name for brand reasons.

That may be strictly true but I doubt they disintegrated legacy Maxis and replaced them with EA workers. This is mostly the original Maxis except now they're just a piece of another organization, no?
No, the original maxis has been long long long gone. Basically over 10 years of The Sims, maxis became EA. The founders of Maxis were Will Wright and Jeff Braun, they aren't at EA anymore.
Let me put it this way, do you think the original people who put out Simcity series and sim Ant and the others, would have stood for putting out this garbage?

This is not nearly the first time EA has decimated a studio they've bought out. Is origin around anymore? Bullfrog? Or any of the others? The only reason EA has even bothered to keep the separate Maxis name (unlike most others they bought out) is because The Sims became incredibly huge.

Not that long ago EA announced they were reducing their brand labels to 4:
EA GAMES LABEL
EA SPORTS LABEL
EA MAXIS LABEL
EA BIOWARE LABEL

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 11:49.

43. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:32 Dev

Topevoli wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:40:
I can understand buying this game because the DRM doesn't scare you and you just want to play the damn thing.

I may have eventually bought this game when everything was ironed out, but if this is true, it's going too far. I refuse to support a company who blatantly lies.
This is FAR FAR from the first time EA has done that.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
28. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 06:39 Dev

So, in these tiny cities... it really only simulates about 10% of the population and the rest aren't?

BWAHAHAAHAHAAHAAH.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
21. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 01:43 Dev

And yet... they still have a bunch of features disabled?  

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
85. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 14, 2013, 01:40 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:10:
All I'm really saying is that it's not so lightweight that it's 100K people spread over 23 CPUs. It has to be at least a bit heavier weight than that.
Why?
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, if they are doing a minimal amount on the server, just enough to get away with saying they have to have it always online.

22. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 03:19 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 01:22:
EA. We say it's in the game, but it really isn't.

Creston
LOL nice

2. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 12, 2013, 21:46 Dev

But I bet it does some sorta continual authentication. Like the game could send to the server "is it ok to keep the water flowing?" and the server could reply "yep, 5 more minutes of water authorized"

That could explain some of the weirdness and "bugginess" of the game, since it keeps lagging and disconnecting.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 13:25 Dev

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:46:
LoL, joking aside I pulled this from the comments sections below the article:

WHO CARES ABOUT THE DAMN SERVERS, I have played the game for ~50 hrs and let me tell you at the CORE it is ROTTEN and BROKEN as a city simulation.

a) Only 10% of your workforce will actually WORK. 90% are retirees supposably. So you will ALWAYS have high demand for workers and everyone will complain that they are broke once you reach tier 3. Numerical density development of your town is F************** beyond low wealth initial starting where a more REASONABLE 66% of your population WORKS.
[...]
c) mid-late game ALL services (fire/police/recycling/sewage/etc.) are ALL BROKEN. Once you build 2 x sewage plants, buildings will constantly get backed up sewage as it is simulated wrong, paying $10k/hr for those 4 x fire departments, and you’ll have buildings NEXT DOOR TO YOUR FIRE DEPARTMENT that they will NEVER RESPOND TO, and sit there saying “ready to respond”.
[...]

TLDR: Don’t buy this game till the core mechanics are fixed. Yes it’s fun, but it is only fun to keep restarting cities and breaking the game by using supplying chain economics to offset the RIDICULOUS imposition of pathetic late game numerical FLAWS in the core of this game e.g. 10% workers, no working services etc.

Hmmm....
See I'm wondering if those things are server controlled, so the lag and disconnects means they don't work properly. I wonder if in an ideal server connection those things actually work.

Or, EA is just plain incompetent and didn't bother to bug test or patch some huge bugs (I'd call them showstoppers if they make mid/late game neigh unplayable, but obviously EA didn't)

Or some mixture of both, lol.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
9. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 12, 2013, 13:19 Dev

Hellbinder wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:47:
let me guess he will have a kick-starter up within a couple months.

seems to be the Modus operandi these days.
Thats a good point. That may well be why he left, so he can run one all on his own, after he saw what happened with a successful one

News Comments > Numenera Details
1. Re: Numenera Details Mar 12, 2013, 09:52 Dev

Some quotes:

We’ve noted some explicit Stretch Goals, but we’ve also explained that every dollar we receive from your contributions during this campaign (including the 10% matching from $2M to $3M by @Dracogen!) will be going into the game development budget (along with reward fulfillment). I wanted to explain briefly what we mean. As more funding is available, we can make many improvements that aren’t easily described as a Stretch Goal. For example, at this upcoming milestone, George Ziets will be joining the writing team. This doesn’t just involve George. His writing contributions will allow us to increase depth and complexity, resulting in an even more branching and reactive storyline. More written content requires new art, more scripting support, and more quality assurance and iteration to polish the content. As the game increases in depth and complexity, new interface elements and features will be needed to properly communicate to you everything you need to know. George (and each writer) who contributes to the game creates more work (in a good way) for many who are behind the scenes.
[...]
We promise to you that all of the funds will be leveraged to best realize the vision we have presented. (Several in our community have expressed opinions along these lines, including GrinningReaper659 and aratuk.) We won’t be using funds from this Kickstarter to add in features that deviate from this vision. We treat the trust you have placed in us seriously, and will maintain our precise focus on creating the game we have told you about. (For example, there is no total this Kickstarter could reach that would lead us to implement multiplayer.) We won’t be trying to broaden our audience – our goal is to provide you with the best embodiment of the game we have presented. Any features we add, any content we add, will be to better deliver on our vision. Especially for a game like Torment, excellence is achieved through focus.

I'm glad I'm backing this.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
2. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 12, 2013, 09:49 Dev

A match 3 game? Thats a pretty far step down  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 12, 2013, 07:22 Dev

More likely trying to track down people sharing music.  

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
19. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 07:21 Dev

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 06:25:
I wish someone would do a proper sequel to MOO2. MOO3 was meh at best...

Go for it, I'd back it.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
102. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 12, 2013, 07:14 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 19:07:
EA and Maxis two complete loser companies. Anybody purchasing from them needs to go see a head shrink.
You are smoking if you think they are two companies. The old maxis is long gone

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
98. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 12, 2013, 03:24 Dev

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:40:
You may be right as far as traditional game publishers go... but then there has been competition that will save us old-school gamers... Crowd Funded:

Example of selecting more games than I bought from AAA publishers in the last 2 years:

Backed:
[...]
ALL of them can be played offline.
NONE of them have DRM
As Torment and Shroud of the Avatar have shown... there are more to come.

So, Fuck EA and their bullshit. I can easily game without them.
And all of those together don't amount to anything EA much cares about in terms of money.

The list looks familiar though, I backed many of those same ones

Anyway, while the kickstarter versions won't have DRM as a reward to backers, the retail release ones WILL most likely have some form of protection. For instance "Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox" released a special loader just for kickstarters that has the very light DRM disabled. His DRM is basically just you have a login (like minecraft).

So any of those you didn't back, just realize you may NOT end up getting DRM free, and if that is that important of a feature to you, you should back them while they are KS.

19. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 10:10 Dev

Kajetan wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 09:37:
They are trying the Sims approach. Offer the player little, so that DLC and addons seem to be much more attractive.

And complete OT: Where can i change the board settings, so that new comments are marked with red dot? The last Firefox update deleted all settings and cookies.
As I recall, the funny thing was, they didn't plan for all those expansions when they did the original sims. So the base game had a fair amount of extra stuff included. Thats what struck me when I tried sims 2, that it actually had LESS choices than sims 1. It was designed from the ground up for expansions.

As for the board settings, I think you just have to stay logged in.

10. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 09:25 Dev

The only thing I'm surprised about... is that they only waited what, a day to back down from that? I mean this is EA, I would have expected 6 months (after the problems are solved) for them to say there was no hope of offline, unless you buy simcity 2 which would have a $15 DLC pack that adds offline mode.  

6686 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo