Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6686 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 11:52 Dev

One could also setup a free IFTTT to check if the website is up, and if its not, send a text to your phone.

That would require no re-programming

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
7. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 11:34 Dev

yonder wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:28:
It's gotten to the point where EA is pretty much the AOL of the gaming world. I was reading PC World's "Worst Tech Products Of All Time" list and AOL was #1.

"How do we loathe AOL? Let us count the ways. Since America Online emerged from the belly of a BBS called Quantum "PC-Link" in 1989, users have suffered through awful software, inaccessible dial-up numbers, rapacious marketing, in-your-face advertising, questionable billing practices, inexcusably poor customer service, and enough spam to last a lifetime. And all the while, AOL remained more expensive than its major competitors."

That list is pretty much completely accurate when applied to EA's gaming. *sigh*
The main difference between the two is that AOL spent millions sending out millions of free CDs.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 02:07 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 01:29:
So while the mission assumes you have a small city, I've built this sprawling metropolis that's got everything almost maxed out. Pretty cool that way (Until I got told I needed to build a second metropolis, this one with the other faction's units, and I had no more room on my damn island! )
LOL I'm playing that mission right now!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 17, 2013, 14:24 Dev

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 13:58:
Man, Arma 3 is raking it in...smart marketing move.

And look at you, Anno!

I've been enjoying that thing. Its different than classic simcity, but has some elements of it too. It's its own game, and a fun one.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 11:33 Dev

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 09:38:
El Pit wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 05:18:
Blue, what's happening?http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bluesnews.com.html
That site is ok, but I prefer this one.

I wonder who we need to convince to get Bluesnews website uptime tracked there. I mean, Blues is more important that FB, Twitter, or Tumblr to me...
That one doesn't appear to track bluesnews, so its worthless

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:08 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:13:
Dev wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:44:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:05:
So, I put the question to you: Why preorder?

Nowadays they give you exclusives and items that you may not get if you don't pre-order. Thats exactly why they do it. In addition, if you get the game at full price, you may end up having to spend extra money buying some of the things in the pre-order.

Me, I'm more of the camp of waiting for the GotY and getting the complete thing with all the DLC. Saves a ton of money.
Or if its something I really want, doing a 30%+ off deal on GMG on a pre-order works too. I don't pre-order often on big titles, last one I think was x-com.

eh, pre order stuff is now just skinned items or costumes. There is NO REASON to pre order anymore. Most of the time the game is 10-20% off retail a week after release.
Often, but not always. Like the $10 extra class thing from BL2 that you got from pre-ordering but had to buy otherwise, that wasn't a skinned item. It also wasn't in the season pass. They did that on purpose

Or hitman game, the sniper mini game thing was ONLY pre-order. I don't think they've ever yet offered it for sale otherwise. It annoyed me to no end that the code I got for it off of ebay (since I didn't pre-order), never synced up with my hitman account. So the stuff I did in the mini game never did anything in the main game. Despite them doing patches that supposedly fixed that.

I'm not arguing for pre-orders, like I said, I usually wait for GotY. And BL2 had a lot of great sales especially from GMG. And I dislike any sorta exclusives, I want to get the whole thing whenever the frack I choose to buy the game.

I'm just saying, this is why they don't always do just skins, because they are trying to push people into doing pre-orders.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 16, 2013, 21:12 Dev

The sad thing is, he even warned them that hackers might try to SWAT him.  

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
161. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 16, 2013, 20:06 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 06:38:
Really good Anno 2070 guide here for those of you not familiar with the game, like myself: http://youtu.be/yYFLhADYd3k

Thanks! I got through playing a bunch and was lost in some of it, and NOW I find your reply with that link lol.

Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 12:32:
Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:30:
Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:23:
So, to get everything add 3 things to cart.
1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

Bought. Without the irritating always-on crap, it looks like a great game. That video that was linked earlier constantly had me trying to click and place stuff and then grumble because I was just watching a video.

Thanks for figuring out how to get everything for the cheapest possible price, Dev!!

Creston

I've also bought it. Take that EA, I might buy your shitty game but I won't play it. So there. (Until it's patched or I get bored.)
No problem, glad to see people enjoying it. I am enjoying it myself so far.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 17:44 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:05:
So, I put the question to you: Why preorder?

Nowadays they give you exclusives and items that you may not get if you don't pre-order. Thats exactly why they do it. In addition, if you get the game at full price, you may end up having to spend extra money buying some of the things in the pre-order.

Me, I'm more of the camp of waiting for the GotY and getting the complete thing with all the DLC. Saves a ton of money.
Or if its something I really want, doing a 30%+ off deal on GMG on a pre-order works too. I don't pre-order often on big titles, last one I think was x-com.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 16:06 Dev

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 16:02:
Blue, do we need a kickstarter?

I'd kick a few bucks that way if I could get the ads disabled for my account. Or a year free of ads site wide for everyone similar to what PA did.
Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 10:13:
Site was down for 5 hours last night.
And down again for part of today.

News Comments > SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting "Hack" Posts
39. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 19:45 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 16:30:
I've thought about that programmer guy who talked on Reddit before about how the city size limitation must be due to all the data they have to store in memory... But it seems they don't store shit in memory for agents, if all they're doing is playing musical chairs.

He was assuming that the ppl on this game were competent, and that everything they've told the public wasn't just made up.

News Comments > SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting "Hack" Posts
18. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 12:04 Dev

Kajetan wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:56:
NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:37:
Given how little else they have going on in this game, I'm going to guess that a lot of their performance limitations have to do with the hundreds or thousands of cars and pedestrians that are clickable, have names, and run in circles eating up CPU cycles because they were born stupid.
Someone already pointed out that Tropico 1 had this too. With thousands of people living and working on an island. This game was released more than 12 years ago. We had the CityBuilder series from Impressions. With individual citizens.

THERE ARE NO RESSOURCE HUNGRY OPERATIONS IN SIM SHITTY!! Wise up already
Or maybe every single thing is resource intensive because they are just that good and they try that hard at being that incompetent.

I dunno, but every single day there's another nutty simcity story I lean more away from clueless and more towards incompetent.

News Comments > Borderlands 2: New Content Details at PAX East; St. Paddy's Event This Weekend
4. Re: Borderlands 2: New Content Details at PAX East; St. Paddy's Event This Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 08:40 Dev

gearbox link
https://twitter.com/GearboxSoftware/status/312249369770487809

Special shift code for event to unlock skins and some sorta weapon.

141. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 04:41 Dev

NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 01:53:
Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:23:
I went ahead and got anno 2070.

BTW, the complete game pack isn't, it doesn't appear to give you the deluxe version of the game, and there's no deluxe upgrade pack like some games do (though it does have everything else, so if you dont care about the bits that the deluxe adds, getting the complete game pack should be fine)
Also the complete DLC pack isn't, it doesn't include deep ocean.

1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

Seems to include Deep Ocean now bro.
Screeny from my Steam

EDIT: Oh nm I see what you're saying the complete pack doesn't have deluxe.
Yeah the complete game pack does contain deep ocean, but the complete DLC pack doesn't. Which is necessary to get as one of the 3 items if you want everything since it doesn't include the deluxe version (as you saw).

139. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 00:23 Dev

NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:07:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 23:36:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:20:
Someone has probably mentioned this already, but Ubisoft is sticking ti EA with Anno 2070 on sale on Steam this weekend. Allthumbsup

EDIT: NKD stole my thunder!
And I stole it before he did. I also told how to get the complete anno 2070 (and no, the complete pack does NOT have it all)

Looks like it has it all to me. What is missing?
As I said way back in post 95
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:56:
Props to ubi, if they timed their Anno 2070 sale for now.
Just because of simcity being out, it has increased my desire to again play a city simulation. Despite that I have zero intention of playing this simcity catastrophe, and certainly wouldn't pay EA more than a couple bucks for it, and maybe not even then.
But I went ahead and got anno 2070.

BTW, the complete game pack isn't, it doesn't appear to give you the deluxe version of the game, and there's no deluxe upgrade pack like some games do (though it does have everything else, so if you dont care about the bits that the deluxe adds, getting the complete game pack should be fine)

1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

135. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 23:36 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:20:
Someone has probably mentioned this already, but Ubisoft is sticking ti EA with Anno 2070 on sale on Steam this weekend. Allthumbsup

EDIT: NKD stole my thunder!
And I stole it before he did. I also told how to get the complete anno 2070 (and no, the complete pack does NOT have it all)

98. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:06 Dev

I miss the good ole EA days. Back when they were a decent company. Back when they made games like Skate or Die (or Ski or Die), Hard Hat Mack, MULE, Populous, etc.  

95. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:56 Dev

Props to ubi, if they timed their Anno 2070 sale for now.
Just because of simcity being out, it has increased my desire to again play a city simulation. Despite that I have zero intention of playing this simcity catastrophe, and certainly wouldn't pay EA more than a couple bucks for it, and maybe not even then.
But I went ahead and got anno 2070.

1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

90. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:29 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:19:
What bothers me about Creston's short list here is it's not even accurate or legitimate.
Feel free to make a legitimate accurate complete long list.

News Comments > Minecraft Optional Subscription Mode Plans
9. Re: Minecraft Optional Subscription Mode Plans Mar 14, 2013, 15:15 Dev

I guess I'm ok with this as long as its not mandatory.

Also, as long as they don't decide to focus only on development of subscription services. There's still a lot of promised features and work to be done on minecraft.

6686 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo