Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
6. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 10:10 Dev

InBlack wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:22:
nin wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:11:
I doubt it just goes towards that. It's about giving people an excuse to continue pledging. They had an extremely strong start but have slowed a bit (as all KS do, esp when heavily front loaded like this one).

Well they should clear that up on their KS page, or add a few more things that they will be doing with that cash (other thank hiring Chris) because from where I stand it looks like that money is going into his pocket...
They've already explained the distance between stretches, multiple times, that it will all go to improving the game.

Every dollar helps us create a deeper storyline, add more dialogues, build more areas, add more detail, design more items and creatures, add new foci, and more.
and
About Stretch Goals and Funding

We’ve noted some explicit Stretch Goals, but we’ve also explained that every dollar we receive from your contributions during this campaign (including the 10% matching from $2M to $3M by @Dracogen!) will be going into the game development budget (along with reward fulfillment). I wanted to explain briefly what we mean. As more funding is available, we can make many improvements that aren’t easily described as a Stretch Goal. For example, at this upcoming milestone, George Ziets will be joining the writing team. This doesn’t just involve George. His writing contributions will allow us to increase depth and complexity, resulting in an even more branching and reactive storyline. More written content requires new art, more scripting support, and more quality assurance and iteration to polish the content. As the game increases in depth and complexity, new interface elements and features will be needed to properly communicate to you everything you need to know. George (and each writer) who contributes to the game creates more work (in a good way) for many who are behind the scenes.
All that pretty much applies to Chris as well.
and
We promise to you that all of the funds will be leveraged to best realize the vision we have presented. (Several in our community have expressed opinions along these lines, including GrinningReaper659 and aratuk.) We won’t be using funds from this Kickstarter to add in features that deviate from this vision. We treat the trust you have placed in us seriously, and will maintain our precise focus on creating the game we have told you about. (For example, there is no total this Kickstarter could reach that would lead us to implement multiplayer.)

Its not their fault if someone doesn't read stuff like that in the updates, or blues forums (I've quoted some of this stuff in threads here before). Also, the very update that mentions Chris, mentions that they didn't want to put him as a stretch goal until they were sure they could get him, and get him without conflicting with his other commitments (like wasteland 2 and eternity). And every bit of input he has into the design has to have additional resources devoted to it, to do the art/animation/sound for his ideas, etc.

But if you still have concerns, voice them on the comments in the kickstarter update. They often address concerns sometimes in direct replies (not always blue since there's a lot of people involved) or talk about it in the next update. While we can blither about things like this here, it won't actually do much. Talking about it there is a chance to DIRECTLY influence the game itself, and they can address things. If you have a question about it, you are unlikely to be the only one with that question and if you ask, there's probably at least 100 (or more in this project) other people who want to see the answer.

Edit: And as mentioned above by wtf_man, it also includes an additional companion. Though Chris will be doing the design and writing of it, that doesn't include the art/animation/audio etc of that companion.

Finally, if all that kinda thing and commenting/interacting directly in the kickstarter doesn't satisfy someone regarding a particular project (speaking in general terms now, not just about this one), then they probably shouldn't be backing that particular kickstarter, they should wait until its out and read reviews. Then they only are out the money if its a confirmed good final product.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 10:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
12. Re: Skyrim Patched Mar 22, 2013, 06:46 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 15:40:
How does Legendary skill work? Is it now equal to 101, but just set at 15? So if you get it back to 100, it will be essentially 185? None of my Skyrim chars are at 100 skill yet.
Here's a summary of it
link

And another
link

The Legendary skills system works like Prestige Mode from Call of Duty's multiplayer. When you hit the level cap on a skill, you have the option to turn it into a Legendary skill. Doing so returns all the perks you had spent in that specific skill tree and turns it down to level 15. This is essentially meant to be a way to completely remove the level cap from the game and give players an incentive to play further.

I don't think it's all that exciting, sounds like it just makes you even more OP. I don't have the game yet though, so I'm not exactly sure the leveling mechanics work.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 22, 2013, 05:46 Dev

mag wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 05:23:
I guess I did have it crash once on start-up, but that was GFWL shitting itself.
Not an unusual situation for good ole GFWL. Once it figures out how to update itself it usually works decently for me, but up until that point O M G it can be a pain.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 22, 2013, 03:44 Dev

A total of 635 games on sale (steams specials tab tops out at 100, the all specials number on the right tops out at around 600).
Complete sale list sorted to name:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Name&sort_order=ASC&specials=1

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 23:26:
I own so many indie games, that I can't even get the bundles anymore since I own most of the games in them.
You can still buy the bundles and gift them away. And some of the bundles still give you individual steam codes so you could use what you don't have and gift the rest. You mean you don't want to get them, not that you can't

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 03:52.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2013, 05:02 Dev

voltov wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 01:37:
I've been wanting to play the expansions for Duke 3D for a while now ever since I replayed the original with eDuke32. I had no legit way of getting the .grp files needed but it looks like they're now included in this megaton release.
I don't think I knew of or played those expansions. And I played most things 3dr.

News Comments > Steam Opens Early Access
38. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 23:54 Dev

Closed Betas wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 23:13:
Ingenious? God, I need to get a product and get into marketing or something. Fools are down from a dime a dozen to a dime a gross.

Wake up, They're selling beta's, there's no magical interface in between... There's no special designed coded section.. it's the same platform, the same feedback system, lol. They market what 90% of you bithc on forums about what you hate and you suck it up like its some new form of wheat product
Except they are clearly marking it as not yet finished. Better than selling crap like simcity as supposedly finished product when its not.

But hey, design something better and go for it.

32. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 21:59 Dev

Krizzen wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 19:19:
Whew! At first I imagined Valve was offering a subscription based service for early access. Looks like they'll maintain their "do no evil" image!
No, valve doesn't in and of themselves.

They do sell games that require monthly fees though. And theoretically one of those games could be an early access game. Currently I don't see any like that.

And actually, now that I think of it, I'd pay valve $10 a month to get access to all early access games as long as I got the full games afterward their release (and kept access even if I stop paying the subscription). So it would cost me $120 a year, but I'd have $300 worth of games, or whatever, and even if I stop paying the subscription I get to keep all those games

29. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 17:57 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 17:53:
This is a very interesting development. It's like Steam's answer to Kickstarter, but with no go/no go goal. The remarks don't seem to indicate whether the feedback will be restricted to purchasers only. Currently, Steam forums are totally open. You'd think that the devs would want to restrict the forums only to people who purchased the game.
Well that would take extra work on valve's part. The uninteresting and unfun kind.

26. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 17:48 Dev

ASeven wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 17:11:
People talk about the price of Prison Architect but they don't know the story behind it. The price is purposely high because, not unlike Minecraft, they are funding their own game this way. They decided not to go to Kickstarter and do it their own way and they succeeded in selling more than $1M of alphas in 8 months. Also, they made the price high to ensure those coming to the alpha would stick to the alpha and offer feedback.

Hence, if this title fancies you and you want to support the devs, go ahead and get the alpha. Otherwise, wait for release day where the price will be cheaper.

Here's a let's play video of Prison Architect:

http://youtu.be/ESDr8jNpkQM
I appreciate the info. Price higher during alpha, interesting concept. Not sure I personally like that pricing model, but I like to see devs trying interesting stuff.

Edit: "Sketchiest yard ever" lol!

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2013, 17:56.

23. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:59 Dev

yuastnav wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:55:
Kerbal Space program also looked interesting (at least judging by this article from Christopher Livingston on PCGamer, guess I gotta try the demo).
Thanks for the link! I agree, it looks interesting, and fun!

21. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:53 Dev

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:33:
Kickstarter appears cheaper, but here you get early access. These probably have a higher chance of being completed as Valve are going to be careful who they let on.
I agree that they have a higher chance, but its NOT because valve is more careful. They will let anyone/anything on (see war z).

The main reason these have a higher chance is because they have a playable product. Even if the indie ones sell to a publisher, they have a higher chance to since they can display a working product, and one that has interest and purchases on steam.

18. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:30 Dev

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:12:
That does look like fun and Introversion are cool.
Introversion? Neat, I own I think all their other games.

I'm not sure I want to pay $30 though.

16. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:22 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:18:
If the full version doesn't come out for whatever reason, I imagine Valve will have to refund you.
Unlikely, that would basically put them into position of financially guaranteeing the final finished release of every single game they have. They only refund pre-orders (which for AAA games are typically already finished and gone gold, or nearly so), and they could make the case that this is termed early access, not pre-order and that you get to play the game in advance so you got your money's worth.

Actually, thats probably yet another reason why they are doing this early access program.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2013, 16:28.

10. Re: Steam Opens Early Access Mar 20, 2013, 16:14 Dev

I have a feeling that War Z fiasco helped pushed this into happening. Also probably all the greenlight things and other games that come onto steam as pre-order with alpha/beta access.

Glad to see it though, it hopefully will help make it clear to people when/if they aren't playing a finished product.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2013, 14:19 Dev

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 13:40:
The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million in its first week, selling 1.1 million in 2 weeks doesn't look good in comparison. I hope that's word of mouth hurting it, rather than just a lack of interest.
I doubt they expected as much as the sims initially. That appeals to a much wider audience with many many more copies sold.

Yes I know they are attempting to appeal to much of the same demographic with the dumbing down of the game, so they probably consider 1+ mil sales somewhat a success.

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
62. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 19, 2013, 04:43 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:01:
EA actually has a lot of good properties that they are sitting on. I wish they would get an awesome CEO and turn things around.
Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:12:
Why can't a company make money by giving it what its consumers want? Gaming companies thrived doing this for decades before publishers decided to turn themselves into conglomerates. They didn't have to make every game sell like Call of Duty or have a marketing campaign that involved the Superbowl.
Why? Because the IP they are sitting on isn't CoD or BF.
Why? Because its not as much money as they think they can make. If they think they can make $5 million by doing dungeon lords 2, then they think they can make $500 million by doing DA3, which one do you think they are going to do? Sure they can make money by doing things like we see happening at kickstarter, but to them, thats peanuts. If EA were really going to change, we'd have seen it already. KS success is showing them the amount of money thats out there for things like that, and they DO NOT CARE.

61. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 19, 2013, 04:37 Dev

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:51:
Perhaps it's yet to make it's mark; hopefully when SimCity's sales figures are released they will be well below expectations and the share price will then be hit.
Yeah, I highly doubt simcity had anything to do with this. Simcity only just came out, his leaving has likely been in the works for a while.

Also, its unlikely that simcity sold poorly. Its been selling too well (apparently no one bothered to check pre-order numbers before counting servers) that caused much of their problems. On bluesnews alone, you have several people who bought it, despite everything known beforehand. Now think about clueless people who hear the name "simcity" and run out to buy it on that alone.

35. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 18:15 Dev

I'm impressed that he took responsibility. Not impressed with anything else about EA.
ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:11:
Unfortunately I have no hope that the next guy to take his seat will change the policy of fucking the customers left and right and center.
More than likely, the next guy will push the envelope further, and claim that they didn't make money because they didn't exploit their customers enough.
Talisorn wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:11:
When's Bobby Kotick leaving?
Never. Remember he's a huge gamer who loves games!
Plus activision is making money last I checked.

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
31. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 18:03 Dev

LOL EA is giving out 2 free games to some accounts:
https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-something-extra

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
29. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 17:31 Dev

THERES STILL TIME! TO GET YOUR FREE GAME!

EA is basically saying: we know we said the 18th, but its been extended, so the news of the awesome list of awesome free games can spread!

Actual quote from the email (apparently they sent me the email since I signed up for beta):
We don't want any of you to miss out your free game, so please note that you must register your copy of SimCity before March 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST and you must claim your free game by March 30, 2013 at 11:59PM PST.

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo