Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6704 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 28, 2013, 13:54 Dev

It's about time the Wachowski's (who are now longer the 'Wachowski Brothers', as Larry is now Lana) got into TV.

Yikes! Hopefully that won't degrade the quality of their work.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Mar 28, 2013, 03:44 Dev

Acleacius wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 23:49:
I'm interested in GUN, was hoping I would get a download code like GMG to use on Steam. Otherwise I'll just wait for it to go on sale, on Steam.

If you put something on your steam wishlist, steam will now send you an email if it goes on sale. I've seen GUN on sale on steam pretty cheap before.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
11. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 27, 2013, 23:47 Dev

Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 23:24:
Were the game instead released with the name "SimCities Online" would there have been the same outcry? Or any at all?

That small naming change would have made a big difference in my personal impressions of the product and EA.
Yes, when it had these exact same problems because no one bothered to count up the pre-orders and order enough servers, it would have gotten criticized the exact same way.

If you are talking about the always online part influencing the DRM part of the conversation, who knows. They would have likely gotten fewer sales though, and thats what matters to EA.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
6. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 27, 2013, 21:52 Dev

deqer wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 21:43:
"EA moved as fast as it could to rectify the situation"

No, I don't think they did.

Just like any company, the attitude is the same, where the workers still leave at 4pm, and still have weekends off. I don't think EA had workers work over time, around the clock, and pay extra money to get extra hardware, shipped 0-day for an extra charge, etc. etc.

As fast as they could would have been more servers in that same day, since they would have flown out to dell/hp/ibm and picked up more.

So thats absolutely a lie. Now if they had put in "reasonably" or "economically" it might have been correct.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
97. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 19:11 Dev

Quinn wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 16:59:
Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 16:57:
Quinn wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:47:
www.go2arena.com ...28,- euros. Around 32 dollars.
Careful, that looks like a grey market CD key site. While I have used similar ones in the past once or twice, just be aware of what you are getting into if you go that route. Some games have had CD keys revoked, or disabled if you weren't in the same region as the key (usually from russia/china kinda places)

It was indeed an Asian key, which I wasn't aware of when I bought it. Hmmz..
If it activated in steam fine and you have english language while playing the game, you are likely ok. Worst case scenario is that the publisher revokes the keys and you have to buy it again, but thats a very small number of games that companies have done that to.

As long as people know the risks, more power to them if they want to get it from the grey market.

95. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 16:57 Dev

Quinn wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:47:
www.go2arena.com ...28,- euros. Around 32 dollars.
Careful, that looks like a grey market CD key site. While I have used similar ones in the past once or twice, just be aware of what you are getting into if you go that route. Some games have had CD keys revoked, or disabled if you weren't in the same region as the key (usually from russia/china kinda places)

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies 2 in Early Summer; PvZ Facebook App Beta
12. Re: Plants vs. Zombies 2 in Early Summer; PvZ Facebook App Beta Mar 27, 2013, 16:48 Dev

avianflu wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 13:31:
it is hilarious and maybe absurd it is taking this long for them to make pandz 2.

Popcap always takes years for their big games.

Unfortunately this time its because its a facebook farmville type game where you pay 2 win.

News Comments > New APB Game Kickstarter
10. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 16:42 Dev

Slick wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 14:20:
200m for the original game? got a source on that? i heard that GTA4 clocked in at around 100m, so i'd be hard pressed to believe a 200m figure on APB without something to back it up.

maybe if you included the other MMO they were working on into that budget, and all other operating costs, and all of their failed ventures into ARG type promotions... maybe that pill i'd swallow, but 200m still seems over inflated. can't see how the original game would have cost more than 20m to make...
It was confirmed that they did $100m+. Their genius plan was to spend every penny of it and have $0 at launch. And they actually did it too. Guess they never heard of cash flow.

There was a bunch of bluesnews stories on it if you want to go searching.
Or you can start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin

Anyways, I'm not going to KS something like this, not just because of its $100+m history, but because of the kinda game it is. They can just use their profits from their pay 2 win gameplay.

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 04:41 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:37:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of the following things considering how much people pan other games for the same things.

No volumetric smoke (they are static 2d animated sprites and desaturates the colour to make it look like you are in smoke even though there is no smoke), no dynamic lighting, no physics (objects are fixed, dont break or move), mirrors are grey slabs with no reflection. Breaking glass is pathetic, no cracks, no bullet holes, the whole pane just disappears into a few grey particles that instantly fade away.

Considering this is using the U3 engine that can handle all of these things...kinda sad.
Well, when you are designing for the lowest common denominator with 500 megs of ram and obsolete graphics and CPU, that kinda thing happens.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 04:00 Dev

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 03:35:
Oh FFS! Maybe I should do a KS that allows me to move to France and buy a winery in Bordeaux. I promise you'll get a bottle of wine in 3-5 years.
For $5 with free shipping, I'd do it

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 27, 2013, 03:49 Dev

and how many? 18 of them.
From what I can tell, its skins and weapons. Alone with some pay 2 win stuff like agility and silencer stuff.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2013, 03:44 Dev

I didn't realize that valve was cycling games on the week long indie steam sale. I went through all 600+ titles when it first started. Anyone know if they are only cycling in, or are they cycling out too? Because of steam's crappy interface they make it hard to tell when stuff has newly gone on sale, and I dont feel like going through 600 titles EVERY DAY.

Also, I just noticed that skyrim had a price drop to $40 normal price. So its effectively on a 33% sale right now.

The lego complete saga isn't the only lego title on 50% off sale on steam, the clone wars one is 50% off too (I don't think the stuff in it is included in the complete saga, but I'm not sure)

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies 2 in Early Summer; PvZ Facebook App Beta
7. Re: Plants vs. Zombies 2 in Early Summer; PvZ Facebook App Beta Mar 27, 2013, 03:35 Dev

Yes! I love popcap games! I love PvZ 1!

Wait... social facebook game? Original guy not involved?
Way to go EA! Ruin another franchise.

News Comments > Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping
21. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 03:31 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:30:
This isn't item duping by way of cheating or using hacks. This is assholes abusing Blizzards account rollback policy for compromised accounts.
Does the fact that Kevin used mostly social engineering for his exploits mean that people don't call him a hacker?
Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:51:
I've always said I hope they add in offline for those that wanted it.
They did!
For consoles

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 03:27 Dev

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 02:04:
Enjoying the game but this has the dumbest save system I've ever seen. I just exited and it tells me it hasn't saved in 15 minutes so I lose everything during that time.
I agree its quite dumb. But it DOES tell you the time at which it last autosaved when you quit. So check that time against your phone or windows (or use SHIFT TAB to bring up steam interface). And yes, its ALSO dumb that it doesn't show you the minutes played since last saved instead of the current time. Current time is rather meaningless, the meaningful question is how much gameplay time will you lose.

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 20:46:
(though I do recommend using a calculator such as http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ ).
Dude, that thing is awesome, thanks

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 04:03.

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 19:49 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 18:05:
I'd be interested to know what publisher push back is though, what exactly that entails. Does it mean less advertisements bought if a game doesn't score a certain way? Etc? Again not trying to dismiss it, it certainly wouldn't surprise me that it happens.
It means anything they can do. And less advertisements is just one of the ways. For instance, no advance review copies, no review copies period, no exclusives before embargoes expire, no sending concept art to post, no interviews, etc.
All of that can vastly change a site's traffic.

In extreme measures, they could even deny a site permission to post things like pics about the game.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer
31. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 26, 2013, 15:11 Dev

JayDeath wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:11:
Oh this workday can't end sooner! I can't wait to play. I'm concerned about some microstuttering issues ppl are talking about in the steam forum. I hope my system cooperates.
Microstuttering is typically from SLI or xfire setups, and xfire is generally hit far worse than this due to nvidia spending a lot of resources optimizing hardware and software for SLI.

23. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 23:59 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 23:39:
Not sure how DLC is going to work with this game? It's not open-world and once you're done, you're done. I guess they can handle it like DX:HR did, with the DLC essentially being a separate campaign.
Or handle it like the previous bioshock game, where they added an extra section in the gameworld and some extra weapons/gear stuff.

20. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 23:10 Dev

Blue,
I think you mistakenly buried a hidden AC4 trailer in this story

19. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 23:03 Dev

There's also 2 exclusive weapons from pre-ordering with specific retailers.
gamestop "Comstock's China Broom Shotgun!
This upgrade for BioShock Infinite's China Broom Shotgun comes with a unique skin and an exclusive damage enhancement."

bestbuy "This upgrade for BioShock Infinite's Bird's Eye Sniper Rifle comes with a unique skin and an exclusive damage enhancement."

6704 Comments. 336 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo