Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer
31. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 26, 2013, 15:11 Dev

JayDeath wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:11:
Oh this workday can't end sooner! I can't wait to play. I'm concerned about some microstuttering issues ppl are talking about in the steam forum. I hope my system cooperates.
Microstuttering is typically from SLI or xfire setups, and xfire is generally hit far worse than this due to nvidia spending a lot of resources optimizing hardware and software for SLI.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 23:59 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 23:39:
Not sure how DLC is going to work with this game? It's not open-world and once you're done, you're done. I guess they can handle it like DX:HR did, with the DLC essentially being a separate campaign.
Or handle it like the previous bioshock game, where they added an extra section in the gameworld and some extra weapons/gear stuff.

20. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 23:10 Dev

Blue,
I think you mistakenly buried a hidden AC4 trailer in this story

19. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 23:03 Dev

There's also 2 exclusive weapons from pre-ordering with specific retailers.
gamestop "Comstock's China Broom Shotgun!
This upgrade for BioShock Infinite's China Broom Shotgun comes with a unique skin and an exclusive damage enhancement."

bestbuy "This upgrade for BioShock Infinite's Bird's Eye Sniper Rifle comes with a unique skin and an exclusive damage enhancement."

18. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 22:48 Dev

Looks like that browser based game does NOT change any in game faction stuff (someone commented about that earlier). The reason? The bioshock unlock code is given to you way before the end of the browser game. Mine was given after just a few levels.

All it does is change your facebook avatar pack at the 59th level. No need to play that far though. You can unlock the in-game items after just a few minutes of play.

Here's all the solutions if anyone wants
link

The in game things this gives you:
500 in game currency
5 lockpicks
gear: handyman nemesis (more damage vs handymen)
gear: sugar rush (move faster after eating)
gear: fleet feet (move faster while backing up or sidestepping)

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2013, 22:59.

17. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 22:46 Dev

headkase wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:57:
Dev wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:45:
More than likely, you can also sell the browser game pre-order code on ebay for another $5-$10 to people who want a complete thing, but don't want to pre-order.

You have to redeem the Industrial Revolution pre-order code on the Fink Manufacturing web-site however to get another code which you can then redeem in Steam for some pre-order items.
Yes, and I'm saying that one could sell either one of those codes on ebay if they didn't care about the bonus, in order to get the cheapest possible price for the game.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
40. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 21:51 Dev

nin wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:21:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:01:
Just played 4 hours of it, Loved it, I could see some people attack/disliking the FOV.

Otherwise great game, I'm going back there now.

There was a steam thread where someone said they modified it (and provided screenshots) but the consensus was it only worked in the menus, and while playing the game.

Either they'll patch it, or (more likely) someone in the community will fix it.
Thats both sad and hilarious, because pretty sure BOTH of the original bioshock games got slammed for POV on the PC, and both of them they ended up patching them quite a while after release (and after community released tools to adjust it).

14. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:45 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 20:52:
What's the suggestion if you already own XCOM and previous Bioshock titles?
GMG. You get $14 automatically back in a few days to start with which brings it down to $46.
Then you have the 3 games (I'm pretty sure each is a separate steam code), which you can then sell or trade for things you don't have.
More than likely, you can also sell the browser game pre-order code on ebay for another $5-$10 to people who want a complete thing, but don't want to pre-order.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2013, 21:52.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2013, 18:12 Dev

Unfortunately it benefits both sides. Reviewers are very unlikely to turn down a chance for an early review because they get a lot of additional traffic since they start with one of the few reviews for the game. Everyone links to them first and they get good google page ranks. Game publishers do well with this too, since they can control the hype.

Until READERS decide to themselves not visit and read reviews that were written before the game's release, things are unlikely to change. And I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

1. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 16:58 Dev

Going to repost my info from my reply on the GMG deal in case anyone needs it:

GMG just added xcom too. You get $14 or $15 (depending on if you do cash back or future credit), bioshock 1, x-com, and one extra game (from this list Spec Ops: The Line , Civilization V, BioShock 2, Mafia II or The Darkness II).
And you get a key for the browser pre-order game bonus Industrial Revolution.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

Basically the only thing you don't get compared to steam deal is the TF2 items, instead you get an additional free game.

They also have a 20% off voucher for the season pass
GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

I will likely wait until the price comes down, but all in all this is a pretty good pre-order deal.

Edit: My bad, the season pass is on a small sale already, and the voucher doesn't work on it.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2013, 22:17.

29. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 16:36 Dev

PropheT wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 16:30:
Infinite looks great, but I'm kind of struggling with whether or not I want to pay full price for games anymore. A free copy of Xcom to give to my brother is a nice bonus, though (Steam pre-order deal).
GMG just added that too. You get $14 or $15 (depending on if you do cash back or future credit), bioshock 1, x-com, and one extra game (from this list Spec Ops: The Line , Civilization V, BioShock 2, Mafia II or The Darkness II).
And you get a key for the browser pre-order game bonus Industrial Revolution.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

Basically the only thing you don't get compared to steam deal is the TF2 items, instead you get an additional free game.

They also have a 20% off voucher for the season pass
GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

I will likely wait until the price comes down, but all in all this is a pretty good pre-order deal.

Edit: My bad, the season pass is on a small sale already, and the voucher doesn't work on it.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2013, 22:18.

25. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 15:15 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 13:22:
Meh, I'm still going to wait. Sim City has a bunch of 90 reviews from the Press before it shipped.

I have to wonder how much getting these games Free can fog the vision of reviewers.
In the simcity case, that wasn't the problem. The problem was they setup a private server, before the launch, for just journalists. They made sure it had near 100% uptime and good connections, and they just played with their close friends (mostly no griefing).

Problem was, the launch was NOTHING like what the reviewers experienced. In addition to the servers being total crap, there's griefers out there playing the game.

Plus, most reviewers didn't bother to review it enough to get to see the AI bugs, or the myriad of problems when the city gets bigger.

So its hard to blame them on the private server review, although some of them had enough of a clue to foresee those potential issues, and I liked how some of them adjusted the score after release to better reflect the actual customer experience (instead of the reviewer experience). But they should definitely take blame for not bothering to play enough to see the AI failings.

And it also shows some of the systemic issues in the reviewing process, namely reviewing games prior to release. Unfortunately that will likely never get fixed, due to almost no one turning down a chance to get a jump on the flood of reviews by getting one out early, and tons of users reading and relying on those advance reviews for buying decisions.

But for people with half a clue, they should realize they should put more weight on reviews after release, and look to make sure user experiences aren't total crap.

News Comments > Broken Age is Double Fine's Adventure
2. Re: Broken Age is Double Fine's Adventure Mar 25, 2013, 13:27 Dev

Yep, same here. Its coming together!  

13. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 13:18 Dev

El Pit wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:17:
I will only trust the IGN review.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/bioshock-infinite-pc-review

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 24, 2013, 14:02 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2013, 18:34:
Yeah, and not much recourse for hardware developed via ks either.
Depends on what project. This particular one has a warranty and is from an established electronic watch group that has done non KS watches before.

If one happens to RTFA, the failure rate on this so far has been 20-30 watches out of 30,000. Thats 1/10th of a percent, which isn't bad for early failure rate.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
41. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 24, 2013, 13:51 Dev

InBlack wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 04:58:
Like people have mentioned its about trust.
Thats EXACTLY it. Do you trust a particular KS and its creators? Do you trust them to be efficient with your money? Does it pass your personal smell test? If no, then its probably a good idea to pass. Wait for release and reviews and if its your type of game that looks like it turned out good, go for it then.

Whats funny to me though, is how trustworthy are the big companies with money matters anyway? EA blew tons of money on that star wars MMO game, and they didn't get NEARLY enough subscribers that they planned for. I bet there's significant waste in huge game projects like the next CoD. I don't trust EA or activision to make good use of my money. For that matter, I don't think valve is very good with money either lol.

38. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 23, 2013, 04:18 Dev

Flatline wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 22:42:
So your 25 bucks entitles you to a complete financial breakdown of a company, plus a copy of the game?

Jesus next you're going to want to have developmental control over the project for your "investment".

If employees were getting scammed, I imagine we'd hear about it as projects finished or people quit.

And we're *still* talking about peanuts when it comes to funding game development. If someone raised 20 million and put out a game looking like Wasteland 2, yeah I'd cry shenanigans, but we're talking about a dozen or more people working for 18 months on 2-4 million bucks. There's not a lot of room for embezzlement and still turning out a decent looking product, which is what you're basically insinuating.

But I forgot, that's common sense. It's far more entertaining to imagine a 20 hour game being created on 250 grand and the rest being kept by a moustache-twirling villain.
Yeah exactly. Even if you are paying someone something cheap, like say $50k salary, the actual cost to the company is often 1.5-2x times as much after health care costs and benefits, etc. So lets say 10 people at 75k (using the lower 1.5x figure), bang you are at 3/4ths of a million for a year's work. And that doesn't include fees, taxes, or things like physical rewards fulfillment (which we've seen totally screw over projects before when they weren't budgeted properly). I saw a KS project recently where physical rewards were estimated to be taking 40% of the budget.

Now if the budgets are the scale of the $100 million of APB, or something in that class. Yeah the complainers would have a good point, TONS of waste going into something like that.

But when this is a lifelong/decades long dream, once in a lifetime opportunity to get something done that they've tried for YEARS begging publishers to help get done... come on, they aren't going to just blow the money on hookers. They'd have to be totally nuts to do that, and destroy what is likely their only chance to get this kinda team and project together. I mean imagine you've tried for years, and have been motivated to spend thousands of hours, trying to get something done. Suddenly you have a chance to get it done. Would you just randomly flush the chance down the drain? And the money, while it might be in the couple millions, is NOT worth killing a company name like Obsidian (in the case of project eternity) over just taking the money and running. Plus if they do something good, they have a decent shot at far far more in sales.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the more extreme crowdfunding complainers who are outright gleeful at the prospect of a possible KS failure of a big project have some sorta ulterior motive, like are they employed by a publisher?

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2013, 04:30.

13. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 10:46 Dev

InBlack wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:42:
Well thanks for that very illuminating reply. I usually dont bother to read the fine print but then again the only serious attention Ive paid to Kickstarter was regarding Star Citizen, where Roberts basically transparently allocated nearly every single pledged dollar.
No problem.

Oddly enough, I'm MUCH more skeptical of Star Citizen, since he's got so much MMO and F2P type stuff going on there. I did the minimum pledge, and only because I got in on one of the discount tiers (a spot opened on the last day). And it sounds like he's got more in private funding going into that game that he's going to be beholden to than KS funds, and private funding is really hot for F2P stuff right now.

12. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 10:44 Dev

Also this article (I can't remember where I found the link, it might have been bluesnews)
link

has some interesting KS bits. Such as games had $83 million in KS funding in 2012.

$83 mil is starting to approach the place where'd I'd expect publishers to take some sorta notice.

10. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 10:38 Dev

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:33:
Somehow, I seriously doubt that they will be using the funds from this game fully. When they sit here and defend that they we will be using the funds just for the game. That raises a red flag to me. And 700K to add Chris, I dont see it.
I dunno why. Games take money to make. Even a "simple" adventure game like DFA is already past $4 million in expected expenses (which is more than the KS brought in). Why is it hard to believe that less than can possibly go into a far far more complicated game?

But I will quote from what I JUST said a few replies ago
Finally, if all that kinda thing and commenting/interacting directly in the kickstarter doesn't satisfy someone regarding a particular project (speaking in general terms now, not just about this one), then they probably shouldn't be backing that particular kickstarter, they should wait until its out and read reviews. Then they only are out the money if its a confirmed good final product.

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo