Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6704 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 14, 2013, 12:59 Dev

Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 15:12:
terrible now. Just terrible. Absolutely every link of theirs is infected.

Creston
Its all the ads. One can just click SKIP AD in the upper right corner of the stupid adfly popup thing, and it goes to the actual download link, the files of which don't seem to be infested.

Remember that part where I said earlier when one is downloading stuff, the legit links are outnumbered by the adware links? Looks like its the same case here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
78. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 12:43 Dev

I mentioned all this stuff way back in post #9 and everyone is still arguing over it lol.

Anyway, they may well have intended to offer it DRM free for all (not just backers), but at the time of the KS they were still working out the final details with the licensing. As I mentioned earlier, we are lucky MS didn't just tell them "no exceptions, tough luck" to the DRM provisions.

In the end, anyone who already "pre-ordered" the game through kickstarter is indeed getting what was promised, a DRM free version. If someone wanted this and didn't kickstart, they missed their chance.

13. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 15:53 Dev

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 15:38:
Why would anyone want to sign a deal with Microsoft? They literally have no souls.
Because if they didn't they couldn't use the IP.

11. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 15:26 Dev

nm  

9. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 15:21 Dev

Sho wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 14:33:
I really liked what I saw in the gameplay vid, but this is something they should have clarified during the pitch stage. Did they?
From what I recall, they said they would give a DRM free version to backers.

Which they are.

The end.

Long multiple edits for details:
You can check the kickstarter page if you want to see the original reward levels on the right which say "A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux" you can also see the pitch video http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

Summary/comparision pic of what the differences between the steam version and non DRM versions are:
link
Its mostly what I would expect, things like no automatic updating, etc.

Quote from the KS update that blue is referring to:

The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM. This didn’t come up earlier because the situation was complicated by the number of parties involved in the license and because the process was “ongoing”. Ultimately, we were able to successfully negotiate an exception with Microsoft for us to provide our Backers with a DRM-free version of the Kickstarter rewards

graphic of all the licensing and parties involved to get this:
link

In other words, they didn't know all this when the project was in the kickstarter stage, but they successfully negotiated to provide what was promised. We are lucky that MS didn't just refuse to allow any exceptions, then they would have had to provide DRM versions only.

The one thing someone could knock them for is they didn't specify that this DRM free choice was a backer exclusive that wouldn't be available in the future... because they DIDN'T KNOW AT THE TIME.

Its like saying "well I wanted the ipad 2 because of the longer battery life, but I didn't buy it when it was available and now its not available anymore so ZOMG!" (a hypothetical situation). Stuff gets discontinued. Things stop being available. Product End of Life happens. Special deals or bundles come and go.

If someone wasn't a backer and they hate DRM, tough luck. They shoulda backed when the DRM free option was available, for as little as $15.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2013, 15:38.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 13, 2013, 10:31 Dev

jimnms wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 06:06:
Neither of my Win7 machines are having a problem. I wonder if I should uninstall the update anyway.
Microsoft is investigating behavior where systems may not recover from a restart, or applications cannot load, after security update 2823324 is applied. We recommend that customers uninstall this update.

Up to you

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 12, 2013, 23:35 Dev

"In Control Panel, open Programs, and then click View Installed updates." Search for KB2823324 in the searchbox
If you have it, uninstall it, MS screwed up bigtime
They "recalled" the update, but some computers got it. It can cause a computer to become unbootable, cause other programs not to work, potentially cause data loss
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

News Comments > Death Inc. Alpha Sales
1. Re: Death Inc. Alpha Sales Apr 12, 2013, 21:57 Dev

Anyone try this?  

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
8. Re: AMD Says No More DirectX? Apr 12, 2013, 21:45 Dev

I think they may be confusing this old news
XNA is going away/dead, and directx outside of direct3d is going away/dead and most of the functionality is now inside the OS core. And with MS updating the OS more frequently, they may be planning to retire it as a discrete package (no idea what they plan to do about the 50 various updates of the same dll that you get when you install it). But the graphical functionality will still be there.

News Comments > Ubisoft Buys Related Designs
12. Re: Ubisoft Buys Related Designs Apr 12, 2013, 08:46 Dev

Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 05:50:
Steam is not DRM, it's a content delivery system.
Its a digital content delivery system that contains DRM. A minimal amount of it, but its there.

And thats the way I prefer it, a minimal amount that doesn't intrude on what a paying customer like myself wants to do with my games. Like oh... play them. I've had games like settlers intrude on that before and prevent me from playing them when I want to play them.

Anno seems fine to me. I don't know if it has targes or not, but whatever state it is in now it doesn't seem to intrude on me.

News Comments > Ubisoft Buys Related Designs
4. Re: Ubisoft Buys Related Designs Apr 11, 2013, 23:12 Dev

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 22:10:
I believe this covers it, but I admit I'm not reading all 7 pages...

I read a few pages. Its people arguing back and forth about if it does or does not contain a 3 machine activation limit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 22:03 Dev

Its the decline of NPD sales accuracy.

Edit: Whoops, somehow I read game sales in there and didn't bother to RTFA

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 22:02 Dev

Its been a while but last time I needed a no cd for a game I own, game copy world seemed to be the place to go. I don't recall catching anything from them.

Nowadays the problem is a lot of searches take you to SEO optimized sites that try to suck in people to download adware/malware. And all the ads. ZOMG. When I try to get a legit utility, there's usually 4 download links, 3 of which are adware links which usually look more legit than the actual real download link.

Also, many AV's complain about stuff like packing/compression used in cd check bypasses, and thats usually a false positive.

News Comments > Cubemen 2 Content Freed
1. Re: Cubemen 2 Content Freed Apr 11, 2013, 21:54 Dev

Its in their best interest to do this, calms the customers and turns the DLC into sorta a "pre-order" bonus while the game is its most expensive at release.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 23:07.

News Comments > Stardock Plans "At Least" Two Game Announcements
33. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 22:04 Dev

Maybe now that they've gone to steam, they will be able to stay afloat and keep delivering good games as they've done in the past. I'm convinced that they would have had far more sales if they would have gone to steam way earlier. Or delivered on some of their future features of the stardock platform. I was seriously looking forward to what selling "used" digital games would do to the industry.

Anyway, I've purchased stardock games in the past (gal civ) directly from stardock and I've repurchased them to have them on steam once they were avail. I enjoyed stardock's approach of carrot (free additional content updates) to the piracy issue, rather than the stick (customers are all criminals). As long as stardock continues to deliver good games, I will continue to buy them.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 09:10.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
56. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 10, 2013, 21:42 Dev

swaaye wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:11:
I'd rather have the old school CDs of the original big box release.
Just because you (apparently) have it, you'd like to deprive everyone else of getting it too??

Also, I have plenty of big box retail releases. I much prefer digital. Most boxes nowadays (and for the past decade) have had crap in the box, often as little as a cd and a slip of paper telling you that the manual is on the cd.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online on Steam This Month; Changes Detailed
4. Re: Jagged Alliance Online on Steam This Month; Changes Detailed Apr 10, 2013, 21:38 Dev

Thanks for the comments!  

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
42. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 21:37 Dev

Saboth wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 15:22:
I think Consumerist would prevent a lot of problems if they renamed the contest to "Company that crapped on their customers the most in the past 12 months."
Probably that would be one of the other final 4

News Comments > Cross-Platform SimCity OS X in June
5. Re: Cross-Platform SimCity OS X in June Apr 10, 2013, 21:30 Dev

EA spammed me with an email announcing this. I think they sent it to all registered ea/origin accounts.  

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
35. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 09:29 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 01:45:
To throw another one out there: The reason you (or at least a lot of people) can't file taxes online directly with the federal and state governments, and for free, is because Intuit lobbies heavily to keep it the way it is so they can keep selling Quicken. Pisses me off to no end every single year.
I just did both for free this year (was not able to in the past). Depends on how complicated the return is. Intuit and HR block offer a basic free federal efile return.
Also, in california there's "calfile" which is free. Google for other state returns that are free.

What you are saying may be the case for many, but its not all.

6704 Comments. 336 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo