Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6668 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online on Steam This Month; Changes Detailed
4. Re: Jagged Alliance Online on Steam This Month; Changes Detailed Apr 10, 2013, 21:38 Dev

Thanks for the comments!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
42. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 21:37 Dev

Saboth wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 15:22:
I think Consumerist would prevent a lot of problems if they renamed the contest to "Company that crapped on their customers the most in the past 12 months."
Probably that would be one of the other final 4

News Comments > Cross-Platform SimCity OS X in June
5. Re: Cross-Platform SimCity OS X in June Apr 10, 2013, 21:30 Dev

EA spammed me with an email announcing this. I think they sent it to all registered ea/origin accounts.  

35. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 09:29 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 01:45:
To throw another one out there: The reason you (or at least a lot of people) can't file taxes online directly with the federal and state governments, and for free, is because Intuit lobbies heavily to keep it the way it is so they can keep selling Quicken. Pisses me off to no end every single year.
I just did both for free this year (was not able to in the past). Depends on how complicated the return is. Intuit and HR block offer a basic free federal efile return.
Also, in california there's "calfile" which is free. Google for other state returns that are free.

What you are saying may be the case for many, but its not all.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online on Steam This Month; Changes Detailed
1. Re: Jagged Alliance Online on Steam This Month; Changes Detailed Apr 9, 2013, 22:18 Dev

Anyone try JAO prior to this?  

News Comments > SimCity Cheetah Speed Returns
4. Re: SimCity Cheetah Speed Returns Apr 9, 2013, 22:17 Dev

Hilarious. Hasn't it been like a month now?  

13. Re: EA Apr 9, 2013, 22:10 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:31:
A video game company simply cannot be the worst company in America; they can't harm anyone.
You can't possibly say that.

I can find an easy exception to that blanket statement in fact, when EA overworks their employees without paying them overtime, and had a resulting class action lawsuit against them. At the minimum that caused emotional harm, I'm sure it caused physical harm to some as well.

Also, putting aside employees... are you saying there can never ever be a situation in which a game or an error cannot possibly cause someone harm? For instance, what about young kids using an EA game's multiplayer and getting exposed to the total crap consolers like to spew? That could cause emotional distress. A situation like the stupid hot coffee thing could cause a kid distress (granted that kid shouldn't be playing an M rated game like GTA to begin with though).

And none of that even counts other forms of indirect harm. What about pollution from manufacturing? Or if someone at gamestop has a box full of EA stuff fall on them?

Now, while I'm arguing with you over semantics (a blanket statement only requires a single exception to be proven wrong), I agree with your overall point. I can't see how EA can be the absolute WORST company in the USA. There's many companies that have caused way more harm than EA. I doubt I would have voted for EA much in most of the brackets if I had bothered to vote.

That said, EA's pretty horrible

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2013, 22:15.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
71. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 9, 2013, 21:45 Dev

JohnnyRotten wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 17:11:
NegaDeath wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:32:
I finally got a Kerbal into space...unfortunately for him I didn't plan very well past the "get into space part" so he's on a .....very long journey right now. Very very long.

I've left a few of those behind. I spent a lot of time designing rescue ships that would link with old capsule and take it back to earth.
You can do that? Is it possible? Do they keep track of that stuff in game?

AWESOME

News Comments > Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition
12. Re: Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition Apr 8, 2013, 06:31 Dev

Ant wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 21:02:
RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:05:
Classic. I still remember the first time I saw that Ferrari pull up. The animation was so good at the time it was startling.
Seen this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nlmje-rUQs
Very cool

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 16:16 Dev

Kerbal... fine, I broke down and got it.

After watching videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9lCOTfTQVk
(someone's attempt to make a space shuttle style vehicle)

I pretty much had to get it. Even though its not on sale.

Its great to see so many non AAA type titles on the list.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
50. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 13:42 Dev

jimnms wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 03:41:
If no one steps up and claims ownership, the developers or original publisher should get to decide what to do with them.
But see, that would actually make some sorta sense, which is why its not in the law.

Actually, sometimes that happens if the people who signed the contracts were smart enough to put it in there. Stuff like reverting to the devs if nothing is done with the IP after 10 years or some such. I think thats what happened with psychonauts since that IP finally went back to double fine. Problem is, most people are pretty clueless about things like that, especially at the time they are doing their first games.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
37. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 7, 2013, 02:51 Dev

Slashman wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 19:15:
I don't think you need billion dollar graphics and animation to convey things through animation and graphics. Bastion wasn't a million dollar game and I was very into it's story and world. It mostly had narrated dialogue and cleverly done world design.
Are you CERTAIN that bastian wasn't a $1 mil game? It wouldn't surprise me if it was about that much, remember it was published by WB. If you had said that it wasn't a $10 mil or $100 mil game, I would have agreed with you, and I agree with your other points.

News Comments > Distant Worlds Expansion Announced
3. Re: Distant Worlds Expansion Announced Apr 6, 2013, 16:25 Dev

Yeah and they don't bother putting it on steam.

They apparently think they get more money keeping price way high and exclusive to their thing.

When in reality, they'd make tons more bringing it to steam and selling it at a non crazy price.

$20 each for 3 items (base and 2 old expansions) for normal price of $60, package deal of $50 (package not including new expansion), and the new expansion preorder at $30 (10% pre-order sale of $27), they'd get more in a week on steam probably than they've gotten in a year otherwise.

I mean look at the railworks thing, thats about a niche as stuff gets and its had MASSIVE success on steam. Even though the entire package with all DLC is over $2 grand normally.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2013, 16:31.

19. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 14:56 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 12:33:
Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 12:09:
One would think that whoever owns it would be willing to just sit back and cash the checks from GoG and steam by putting it up there. But for some reason, some companies don't seem to want to make money.

Legal gets scared about doing anything that would open them up to being sued, especially since putting a game up on GOG without authorization could amount to commercial piracy (and open them up to near-unlimited liability).

Then again, it was Legal that botched their sales contracts, which is the reason why nobody knows where the rights are...
You quoted wrong person.

MY quote includes this key phrase "whoever owns it". I've highlighted it. Just to be crystal clear, by "it" I mean the rights.
Someone putting a game up on GoG without authorization... doesn't own it.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
28. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 12:19 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 03:30:
Baldur's Gate 3 - The Kickstarter. $5,000,000 almost guaranteed.
And also very unlikely to happen. Interplay apparently sold the remake rights for a song to that one company thats trying to promote their beamdog digital distribution platform. From everything I saw, the enhanced edition mostly had work done on the UI to make it work on ipads.

But all the companies with the rights to the original game don't seem to be interested anymore in doing additional licenses. Such as WotC for one. EA for another.

So give up that hope, games like this on kickstarter that are spiritually similar are almost certainly the closest one will ever come.

8. Re: Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition Apr 6, 2013, 12:12 Dev

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 10:32:
remembering how hard it was for me to finish back when it was brand new, I think replaying it now the difficulty would make me cry.
Which is probably why they added easy mode

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; "Subtly" Teases Horses
29. Re: Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; Apr 6, 2013, 12:11 Dev

Julio wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 05:16:
I'm not clicking on any link that says "photo of a pleasant lady with a horse"
In this case it really is what it says it is. Its SFW too (blue generally warns if a link is NSFW). Its also family appropriate.

5. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:09 Dev

One would think that whoever owns it would be willing to just sit back and cash the checks from GoG and steam by putting it up there. But for some reason, some companies don't seem to want to make money.  

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; "Subtly" Teases Horses
27. Re: Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; Apr 5, 2013, 23:41 Dev

Blue, there's a diff between $10 million (bucks) and 10 million (copies).
He's sold 10 million copies, but made something like $200+ million on the game.
If he made only $10 mil on the game, he wouldn't be nearly the sensation, and it would have only been about 500k copies.

Which is pretty impressive. That probably makes it one of the highest all time sellers certainly of PC games, and probably still pretty high even when including consoles.

4. Re: Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition Apr 5, 2013, 23:39 Dev

I loved this game. And yeah, the graphics were great for the time.

Also... I can understand an easier but having a HARDER difficulty?!?!?

6668 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo