Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6668 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 21, 2013, 15:13 Dev

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 14:47:
So. Steam's Top 10 list. We meet again. You seem to have forgotten Skyrim, this time. Slowly, my plan comes to fruition!

Yep, only 20 more months until xmas 2014 sale...you showed them!

Maybe that's why they announced end of DLC, because it fell off top 10
j/k

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Curiosity Adds Adding
1. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 15:09 Dev

£0.69 will add 10,000 cublets. £4.99 adds 100,000 and £7.49 adds 500,000.

You can also remove the same numbers of cublets for the same amounts, creating what Molyneux hopes will become a "war of attrition".
[...]
So far, users have paid to remove 13,780,000 cublets and add another 4,680,000, for a total difference of -9.1 million cublets on the next layer.

The experiment is now 164 days old. During that time, 260 layers have been hammered off.

The new features will be deactivated two layers before the end of the cube.

I thought no one was supposed to know the size until the end? Ending those features 2 layers before means ppl will get a big clue as to when it will end.

Anyway, this is no "experiment" its trying to get piles of money for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. And apparently its working.

Although if you calculate the total paid to add/remove, at the 500k price its a hilarious about 300 british pounds. They also have at least 3 million suckers I mean people who've downloaded the app and tried it.
I'm fairly sure thats a horrible conversion rate, which hopefully means most people who tried this have a tiny clue

(note, this is just guesses, and if there's other paid options, I'm not counting them, only going by what I've pasted above)

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2013, 15:15.

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Apr 21, 2013, 13:37 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 02:00:
It's another example of how the pirates have an easier life (download, copy crack into the folder, enjoy) compared to honest customers.
I totally agree with this. In my experience, legit customers are FAR FAR more inconvenienced by protection crap than people who just d/l the stuff. And not just consumers, but businesses too.

News Comments > SimCity Patch Monday
15. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 21, 2013, 13:20 Dev

Redmask wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 22:31:
Their focus on per agent simulation has really taken its toll on the core design and things people liked about the previous games.
One of the most hilarious things to me was that despite all the claims only about 10% of the agents are actually simulated (the news thing about that guy who was editing the game files when he turned on the real population show option). So in a "large" town with 150,000 people, only about 15k are actually simulated. LOL

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 19:30 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:54:
Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:26:
El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:04:
Thx, Dev, but I won't try proxies and fake addresses to cheat them into TAKING MY MONEY. It's a bit like voting with my wallet: they want my money, they need to put pressure on the publishers.

Instead, it'll be back to Steam gifts for the next sale for the few censored games I'm interested in. Got most of them already, so... I can wait. It's a shame about the great GMG sales, though.
What pressure can they put on the publishers? The publishers hold all the cards, the publishers basically tell companies to comply or they can't sell their stuff.

Also if its censored stuff, the publishers cannot bend, or else they'd be liable (I'm not sure of the details of the laws, they could be theoretically be criminally liable if they allowed it to happen).

Dev, I will not break the law via proxies and fake addresses just to make somebody take my money. If they want it, it's up to them to move and challenge those that stand in the way of their profit. All that I can do is a) don't give my vote to any party supporting censorship, and b) putting pressure on all profiteers by not buying censored games from them.
Would it be though? My understanding is that in germany, one can go a gamestore and ask them to get the USA retail box imported version from behind the counter, and they can sell it to you. They just can't advertise or display it.

As I said before, I don't know the details of those laws, but when I visited Germany, that was how it seemed to work.

News Comments > Orion: Dino Horde Controversies
1. Re: Orion: Dino Horde Controversies Apr 20, 2013, 16:11 Dev

All I know about it is the trailer on steam said something about all the original purchasers getting the game free.
Kotaku also has a link to the dev's response:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3110943

No idea who is right, but the metacritic score of 36 on this game speaks for itself.
(for some reason metacritic link to the game isn't working right now so I can't see the user score, but the google cache image shows it at 2.7).

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2013, 16:19.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 15:26 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:04:
Thx, Dev, but I won't try proxies and fake addresses to cheat them into TAKING MY MONEY. It's a bit like voting with my wallet: they want my money, they need to put pressure on the publishers.

Instead, it'll be back to Steam gifts for the next sale for the few censored games I'm interested in. Got most of them already, so... I can wait. It's a shame about the great GMG sales, though.
What pressure can they put on the publishers? The publishers hold all the cards, the publishers basically tell companies to comply or they can't sell their stuff.

Also if its censored stuff, the publishers cannot bend, or else they'd be liable (I'm not sure of the details of the laws, they could be theoretically be criminally liable if they allowed it to happen).

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 14:58 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 10:53:
Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 08:04:
El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:55:
And GMG bit the dust for me. They've got regional restrictions now (some games not available anymore for customers with German IPs), so I guess it's bye-bye. What a shame, I really liked them.
Pretty sure they have to by law.

I wonder if a proxy would help a situation like that?

Only until they check the address of the the cc owner. And it would have to be a trusted proxy, i.e. one you need to pay for. Otherwise I wouldn't use it with my cc data. Anyway, too much hassle to deal with. What are they afraid of? Germany invading the UK?
If its like amazon with digital purchases, they don't check address against what the CC company has, so you can put in something else. I have no idea if there's a similar thing you can do with GMG, I'd suggest watching GMG threads (not just on blues) to see what people have tried.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 14:54 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 13:53:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 13:25:
GMG has always had restrictions on their publisher agreements, mainly that certain games can ONLY be sold to UK residents. So it's not just Germany being left out, dude.

As of lately, GMG hat become more prohibitive. Like, I am not allowed to buy GTA: San Andreas, because they're selling the uncensored version. And during their "zombie" sale they even posted on their blog that Germans were not allowed to buy a couple of games. This really sucks, because I bought a lot of games from GMG. What about OZ gamers? Are they allowed to buy the "evil" games?
Probably because as they get bigger and more popular (there's been tons of great GMG deals in the last year) they get more publisher attention, and the publishers start demanding more protections against people buying their games. The threat would be that they wouldn't be able to sell games at all for a certain publisher if they didn't comply

GMG (or steam) doesn't have a problem selling you games you want to play, but for some reason publishers do.

In most cases, the censorship of games can be traced back to laws of the country one lives in. Changing the laws or changing countries that one lives in would be potential solutions.

In other cases its some sorta licensing or some such, and that can be blamed on the companies themselves.

In the case of a particular voucher/sale only working in one country, thats due to the greed of the publisher.
LightAssassin wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 14:53:
Here in Oz (damned wizards) we can now get our naughty games... well some. It's a slow process and many have to be reclassified so that will take awhile. Even then, many won't bother as their games will be too old.

My Left 4 Dead 2 is still bloodless =( But at least I can get the new Mortal Kombat.... =\
Since it should be very small amount of uninteresting work involved on valve's end, they might be willing to patch l4d2 up to include the blood. Just need to get their attention about it.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2013, 15:01.

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
36. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 20, 2013, 08:10 Dev

Clancy wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 17:35:
First off, it wasn't $50K, *if* you believe the kickstarter for homeworld. They said they had additional funding. I am guessing it went for $100K minimum.
They had an indiegogo campaign too, as well as direct paypal donations.
link
Apparently that campaign was another $13k (an example of the power of KS vs IGG). They may also have had some personal assets too. Or maybe they tried to lowball it so they could keep some money, who knows.

I'm surprised they are refunding the money actually.
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:13:
So how can we NOT know who owns the IP? If anything the one who bought it should blast the fanfares and hype us "We will do Homeworld 3" .. but this? This is just weird. No info at all?
The bidding companies would have had to prepare marketing campaigns ahead of time, to be able to have enough time to have it ready to go on that day. Plus if its not fully finalized by the court, it would look pretty embarrassing if something stopped it from happening.
More typically in recent times from what I've seen, hype machines aren't fully revved up until a game is around 1 year from release (or 2 with delays). Stuff is done quietly in the background for years often.

Now if an indie type company such as that KS bidding group got the bid, they'd probably blog about it the next day. But if a big company got it, they may keep it quiet for a while.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2013, 08:15.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 08:04 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:55:
And GMG bit the dust for me. They've got regional restrictions now (some games not available anymore for customers with German IPs), so I guess it's bye-bye. What a shame, I really liked them.
Pretty sure they have to by law.

I wonder if a proxy would help a situation like that?

News Comments > Edge TM Revocation Complete
2. Re: Edge TM Revocation Complete Apr 20, 2013, 07:54 Dev

This is one of the first times in a long long time that EA has done anything I remember as good. These idiots actually went after EA!! (Apparently for mirror's edge)

Protip: going after the big guys like that aren't exactly a winning strategy.

If you RTFA, looks like EA were the ones that got it canceled, not the mobigame guys.

Hilariously, wiki has this bit:

The court was also shown that Langdell had allegedly submitted a cover of Future Publication's Edge magazine doctored to include references to his own products and organisation as part of his 2004 application for continuing trademark rights to the word 'edge.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games

Apparently this was settled by him giving up the trademarks, and he's not going to face criminal charges unfortunately.

A better summary
http://suite101.com/article/edge-games-patent-trolls-and-lawsuits-a297136
With this tidbit:

ordered him to notify all licensees that he no longer holds the trademarks and they are no longer required to pay his company. This also leaves him legally vulnerable to the companies he sued or forced to pay licensing fees under threat of a lawsuit.

News Comments > SimCity Patch Monday
5. Re: SimCity Patch Monday Apr 20, 2013, 07:39 Dev

This is like almost 2 months after release and they are finally getting around to the "first significant" update?

Being as around 10%-12% of the male population are colorblind, you'd think they would have tested that stuff earlier (and those 2 "additions" smell more like bug fixes that were re-worded to fit into the "new features" section)

And the only remaining new feature is mayors driving fancy cars? LOL

Edit: If you play this thing, make sure to read the full update (lots of bug fixes). Some fixes require bulldozing existing buildings and rebuilding them to start working.

Also, looks like there was previously an exploit where one could build a pure residential only city and not have it fail. They fixed like half a dozen things to make such a thing start failing. LOL.

Residential Tuning: Residential-only cities have failure state.
Buildings are prevented from going up in density when they donít have power or water.
The amount of happiness gained from low taxes, police, fire, and health outreach has been lowered.
Fixed some cases where buildings would not go abandoned when they should have.
Higher density residential buildings are no longer blocked from going abandoned due to not having enough money.
Happiness from low taxes does not double up every time it is given.
Losing happiness due to not having a job is more impactful.

Hilarious that previously residential buildings could grow without power and water, that they got huge doubling of happiness from low taxes so much so that not having a job didn't matter to them, and that they couldn't become abandoned because they didn't have money!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2013, 09:40.

News Comments > Project CARS Questions
2. Re: Project CARS Questions Apr 19, 2013, 08:56 Dev

RLEE wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 21:52:
The far fewer backers comment is totally false. The original numbers in the design documentation was an example for how they could get to the fully funded state. It doesn't matter how many contributors there are, the revenue gets divided equally based on how much money was put in. That article is full of so much misleading and completely false information it's not worth reading. The guy who wrote it doesn't even understand basic finance.

Perhaps you should write one up then, Mr. One post.
A rebuttal point by point, or a totally separate article, up to you.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2013, 20:28 Dev

Amazingly, this is the FTC's very first case against a crammer -- ever.

Wow

This crap happens ALL the time. I've seen it at the places I've worked, I've seen it on my personal lines, etc.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 09:01 Dev

jimnms wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 22:31:
Why do cell providers charge more for text messaging? It would cost me $4 a month more to add unlimited text to my plan. Without the unlimited plan, it's 20 cents per text, and I don't do enough texting to to make that $4/mo. cheaper.
Because its a HUGE moneymaker for them.

The end.

Seriously, thats why. Texts used to be free, when they started getting popular, they started charging to receive, then they started charging to send and receive. It started out at like 10 cents, then 20 cents then 25 cents.

Studies have been done that show their actual cost to the phone company is like 1/100th of a cent, or some such crazy low amount.

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 18 More Games
19. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 22:05 Dev

Bradley wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 18:08:
I still don't understand the whole point of this Green Light process. Why make unreleased games win some arbitrary popularity contest? It's not acting as a quality gateway since the games aren't released yet, and it isn't like unpopular games will consume a lot of resources.
Actually, many of the games on greenlight are released already, they just were refused by the normal steam process.

Anyway, why? Valve talked about it in the greenlight press release. I've talked about it in a number of threads about it.

Valve mostly only likes doing interesting and/or fun work (flat aka no management structure, wheels on desk). Approving games for steam tends to be neither since its mostly crap. Valve said in the press release they wanted to offload most of that work onto the community. They've even gone as far as saying they want that to be the only approval method to get new games from companies not on steam.

After a few tweaks to the process, seems like its working to get some decent games not yet on steam onto it. Both in progress games and already completed games.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 21:56 Dev

Because there's not enough cell capacity.
Hence why landline phones are still more reliable (assuming the infrastructure hasn't been destroyed).

Texting often still works, since it uses a diagnostic channel (hence the character limit), plus it keeps trying until it sends.

Basically, no one wants to pay for enough capacity to handle 100% of people talking. So they figure 5% (or whatever number they use).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
38. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2013, 22:18 Dev

There's also a lot of mods that tweak character progression and leveling.  

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Mind Games Announced
1. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Mind Games Announced Apr 16, 2013, 21:49 Dev

The Pit is a fun game. It has NOTHING to do with sword of the stars games gameplay. Its entirely on its own, a sorta sci-fi roguelike game. I've enjoyed it.  

6668 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo