Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Financials
5. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2013, 22:31 Dev

We know the simcity sales now. 1.6 million. Pretty big seller for a PC game. Not huge, but big.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
5. Re: Evening Patches May 6, 2013, 21:50 Dev

- Added rate-limiting of Steam game downloads, via Settings -> Downloads

Only took them what, 10 years?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 May 5, 2013, 17:28 Dev

nin wrote on May 5, 2013, 16:30:
FloorPie wrote on May 5, 2013, 16:18:
That star wars deal looked good until they raised the price friday or saturday. It was $35 or so. Now its up to $50 and the games I'd actually want in the group would be $20 or so cheaper to buy seperately. I'm lazy but not that lazy that I can't go find the old discs to some of those games and try to get them to work in win7.
They're also out of codes for Empire at War...went ahead and grabbed it for the sale price, but until they get more codes, no new purchases can play...and with LA in an odd state right now, that could take awhile, if ever.

Naw, just because disney closed them down, doesn't mean that they won't have someone doing code stuff. Thats free money, hardly any work required, the games are already done. Some guy somewhere has to hit a key on a program that says GENERATE CODES, then email it to someone. And bang, they can rake in the cash.

Anyway, steam would give refunds if it ended up being no codes forever. So I wouldn't worry about it.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 5, 2013, 16:22 Dev

FloorPie wrote on May 5, 2013, 16:18:
That star wars deal looked good until they raised the price friday or saturday. It was $35 or so. Now its up to $50 and the games I'd actually want in the group would be $20 or so cheaper to buy seperately. I'm lazy but not that lazy that I can't go find the old discs to some of those games and try to get them to work in win7.
I already owned nearly all of them from previous deals. I picked up a couple for like $1 or $3 that I didn't have.

I'm disappointed they don't have the lego star wars games on sale though. I still need the clone wars one.

Also:

$53.58 Price of individual games:
$49.99 Bundle cost:

So yeah, if you have 1 or maybe 2 games out of the list of a dozen or so, its cheaper to buy individually. Its because the individual titles are 66% off, but the bundle is only 50% off.
I'll take your word for it that it was $35 earlier.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 5, 2013, 16:17 Dev

Ant wrote on May 5, 2013, 16:14:
nin wrote on May 5, 2013, 16:11:
They list a minimum of "512 MB DirectX® 9.0c–compliant" but I doubt it's going to be stellar...

Yeah, that's MINIMUM and not recommended. Ugh. I will wait.
Minimum graphics memory. Not minimum graphics performance. Since ATI is so confusing about model numbers, I have no idea where yours falls in terms of performance.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 5, 2013, 16:13 Dev

Ant wrote on May 5, 2013, 16:03:
nin wrote on May 5, 2013, 15:58:
Ant wrote on May 5, 2013, 15:27:
I need a playable demo. I wonder if my ancient XP Pro. SP3 computer system can handle it.

It's more about your video card. FC3 (engine) is a bit piggish, but looks nice. I'm not having any issues with framerates (gtx 560), but I also went with what it recommended and didn't try and crank everything to max. And it still looks decent, I think.

I guess my ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB) is no good.

Easiest way to check is to goto the steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/233270
And look at the minimum requirements posted at the bottom of the page (as steam does for all games)

Minimum:

OS: Windows® XP (SP3) / Windows Vista® (SP2) / Windows® 7 (SP1) / Windows® 8
Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+
Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: 512 MB DirectX® 9.0c–compliant
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 3 GB HD space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c–compliant

So yeah, you are good graphics card and OS wise.
BTW they say 3gb of hdd space, but steam says 3.3gb
Shouldn't make a diff to 99% of ppl though.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 5, 2013, 13:48 Dev

Baen has a similar experience.

In fact, they have a sizable legit free library of books:

http://www.baen.com/library

They've found that posting for FREE the first book of a sequel, increases all ebook and physical sales of all other books in that series (and books by that author in general). Thats not all, they've found it ALSO increases ebook and physical sales of that exact book, the first of the series.

They've found a number of other fascinating things, but the overall point is that people still buy the books.

Nowadays one of the biggest issues in books is advertising/exposure to an author or series. If people start likely an author/series they are likely to get more by him. There's so many authors out there its hard to pick ones to start with, and free (and DRM free) makes it an easy way to see if one likes the author.

Another thing Baen did is have a very liberal policy for their CDs that are sometimes included in their hardback books. Its basically free to distribute. So there's some sites out there with the CD contents that one can legit download and read (DRM free of course) even more books than are in their free library.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Patch Issues
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Patch Issues May 4, 2013, 14:14 Dev

BTW, just a reminder, I believe that shades is standalone.  

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale May 4, 2013, 09:25 Dev

El Pit wrote on May 4, 2013, 02:43:
And there's the Bethesda sale at GMG! 50% off of Skyrim and all dlcs and Dishonored and the first dlc.
skyrim, none of the GMG coupons work (they have a 30%, a 25% and a 20% code, depending on what title you get.
http://blog.playfire.com/

News Comments > Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week
11. Re: Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week May 4, 2013, 01:02 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on May 3, 2013, 23:12:
Or Greenlight has done its job, and not waved through a random indie title that next to nobody would buy (based on the data Valve is seeing from that system).
That's not the job of greenlight. That's a side bonus that ends up being good for customers.

The job of greenlight is to reduce valve's uninteresting and unfun work of dealing with a million mostly crappy game submissions.

Valve even says as much in the press release announcing it.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/8367/

“Making the call to publish or not publish a title isn’t fun,” said Anna Sweet, at Valve. “Many times opinions vary and our internal jury is hung on a decision. But with the introduction of the Steam Workshop we realized an opportunity to enlist the community's help

With a flat management structure, no stockholders to be beholden to, a growing source of steady income, wheels on desk, and gabe's "obsession" with employee health, valve has different priorities than almost any other company. Probably one of the best places anywhere to work.

This comment was edited on May 4, 2013, 01:10.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Preorders
17. Re: Shadowrun Returns Preorders May 4, 2013, 00:15 Dev

Julio wrote on May 2, 2013, 05:20:
I'd rather even go back to the 'have the disk in the drive' DRM than have Steam.
Ugh, no thanks. Been there done that.

My 500+ titles on steam would take up a HUGE amount of space if I had to have those in boxes and cd cases. Plus its so inconvenient to have to hunt around for a particular game cd. With steam, its all there, ready to go.

News Comments > Valve Steampipe Conversions
11. Re: Valve Steampipe Conversions May 4, 2013, 00:10 Dev

jimnms wrote on May 2, 2013, 23:46:
I'm almost tempted to delete Steam and only re-install what I'm currently playing. When I install a game I never delete it in case I want to go back and play it again. I've also installed quite a bit that I intended to play, but haven't played at all yet. My Steam directory is almost 400GB, and I'm getting lower on disk space every day. I know I could clean out a couple of hundred gigs elsewhere though when it comes to the point when I really need it.
If you do, make sure to use this:
http://www.gamesave-manager.com/
It can backup saves.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 4, 2013, 00:09 Dev

Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2013, 23:22:
I think Cheapshark.com and Isthereanydeal.com are better sites for PC gaming discounts.
Or http://www.cheapassgamer.com/
The official amazon game deal rep often posts the amazon deals there.
Amazon has gotten much better about saying if the game you get is for steam (my preference)

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 3, 2013, 22:00 Dev

Little as I like to give money to EA, there's a lot of classics there I have retail packages for that I want digital copies of.
Such as all the wing commander games (and privateer), the crusader: no regret/no remorse.

Such great games.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: GO - Operation Payback Live
3. Re: Counter-Strike: GO - Operation Payback Live May 2, 2013, 21:50 Dev

I don't have the game installed (I have it in my account though). Why can't I get it?  

News Comments > Valve Steampipe Conversions
8. Re: Valve Steampipe Conversions May 2, 2013, 21:46 Dev

Wait, does not share code means I have to install 5 versions of the 8 gigs of textures and stuff thats currently shared between all source games? Will I see my hdd space balloon from that?

Like:
1gb source 2007 shared materials.gcf
1gb source materials.gcf
1gb source sounds.gcf

etc

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
59. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 23:41 Dev

Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:06:
Lawyers love class action lawsuits - they get rich off them while the claimants get shit. Therefore I will NEVER be a part of one. As far as this lawsuit goes, it seems pretty stupid to me. Buyer beware and all that.
Many times you are automatically part of one unless you opt out.

I'm curious, do you opt out of those mailings that sometimes come that say you are in the class of such and such suit, and that they are being settled?

For instance, that buy.com suit about the "original" internet price mistake, they sent out I think $90 checks over that. Anyone who bought that monitor was automatically part of that class action suit unless they specifically opted out.

There was recent a dell california settlement where they charged tax on things they weren't supposed to tax, so the california state tax board was going to refund some tax back to consumers. Would you have opted out of a bonus tax refund on a settlement like that thats coming from the state? I got mailings about over $100 to be refunded to me.

In each of these kinda class action settlements, they usually mail out stuff saying that you can opt out (generally so one can sue on their own instead of being part of the settlement), or you can remain silent and get the settlement proceeds.

These are probably rare examples where claimants actually got something worthwhile, but I'm still wondering about what you mean. Do you mean no active participating with you going to lawyers? Do you mean you won't even take automatic settlements where they mail you a check? Do you mean you sent out a snail mail letter to opt out of those things in the mail?

Just some random thoughts, and wondering if you could elucidate

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
57. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 23:26 Dev

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:59:
It's likely they're not looking to get rich on this but punish Sega/Gearbox and open the way more easily for a class-action suit. Let's hope they win.
Depends if sega/gearbox bothered to put in the EULA that bit that everyone is putting in about not being able to do a class action. If they did, then the judge might throw it out and tell him to goto arbitration. That might happen anyway, since this was filed in last couple days, its too early to tell what might happen.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Leviathan: Warships
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Leviathan: Warships Apr 30, 2013, 23:27 Dev

rist3903 wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 21:12:
Why is this twice as expensive on PC/Mac vs tablets?

Its that way for most cross platform releases, more expensive on PC. Its like how book publishers target different market segments with different pricing (more expensive US, less expensive internationally), etc.

Generally they also expect more sales on mobile segment too, less piracy, etc.

There are some legitimate reasons for this, some I covered above, others include having to figure out far more in the realm of distribution for PC and having far more configuration options to test on the PC, etc.

But often, a large price difference just makes me think its a money grab.

Note, I'm NOT saying thats the case here. I don't know. And I bought this game on PC, so I obviously don't have a problem with the PC price point. I'm just talking in general terms for crossplatform stuff where mobile and PC are among the platforms.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Apr 30, 2013, 23:07 Dev

I have very little interest in farcry 3. But this off beat title interests me.
Gib007 wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 20:05:
It looks interesting and I would buy it. I loved Far Cry 3 - played it through three times over. Unfortunately I can't find where to buy it. I have the retail version of Far Cry 3 and it runs through Uplay. Blood Dragon isn't listed on Uplay Store though and it's not available on retail so I'm at a loss...
Far cry 3 is NOT required for this. This is entirely standalone. Check steam, not uplay

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo