Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
42. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:10 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:56:
Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:26:
In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

Uh? What would you consider the PS2 to be, if not the clear winner for its generation?
Or is your "past couple generations" limited to just the very last generation?
No, I never really saw ps2 being a clear winner over xbox 1. Just my opinion. Like I said, I dislike consoles in general, it would have to be a heck of a difference (such as now) for me to notice or care about and decide one is a winner.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 00:26 Dev

PS4 is $100 cheaper, no restrictions on used games, won't have a mandatory online authentication every 24 hours, no region restrictions, has increased friendliness to indie games, and doesn't look like an old VCR. Xbone is the opposite of everything listed above. In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

I normally dislike MS and Sony quite a lot. I also don't like consoles much in general. This time though, I think sony has moved in the right direction.

And they were smart to hide all the info making people think the worst, then blow it all out at once impressing everyone at once, just in time for canceling the xbone pre-orders and doing ps4 instead.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding
30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding Jun 11, 2013, 23:56 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:48:
I still say people are going to get burned on this somehow.
Eh, a few might, but most will eat it up.
What burns me is that it looks like its trying to be some sorta MMO/F2P hybrid, with microtransactions and pay 2 win. And those subscription options are confusing, its not even clear if you get the game if you get into a subscription.
One of the problems is that the majority of funding is private funding (as I recall it was over $10 mil in private funding) and is going to have the biggest say in the game direction, and its incredibly likely its going to be pushing for the latest fad in games and tilting it even more towards... MMO/F2P/P2W.
Given all that, I'm still not convinced they will do private servers (despite their promises). I mean if you can get on a private server and give yourself all the paid options, why would you want to bother with buying them?

I wasn't even going to get it until I got into one of the limited low price slots on the KS that opened at the last minute (probably someone upgraded their pledge). But who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

BTW, I loved privateer. I really enjoyed the wing commander games too. If this is even one quarter as good as any of them, I'll have well more than my money's worth.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 00:13.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer
26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 23:54 Dev

This is going to be a massively huge seller like all beth games, plus it will be one of the big games on the new consoles. Although, there won't be as big of an install base that early on in the new console's life, I wonder if the PC sales will outstrip the console sales this time around

ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 22:54:
Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:21:
Dumbed down game and shitty UI so once more PC players have to suffer because of consoles. You'd think the failure that was DCUO would have warned them why this is a bad idea. Anyway, my interest in the game has now just evaporated.

You are right. This is a major bummer and just killed a lot of my interest. If this can be played on a controller that means this game will, most likely, be of the Neverwinter sort when it comes to complexity. That is not necessarily bad as I like Neverwinter, but I was hoping for a more complex UI and skill access control scheme. Yes, WoW style, in terms of macros and such. I'm a big fan of Rift so was hoping this would be like that in terms of combat. Not a fan of GW2 combat. To each his own. Maybe it will work out.
Thats a good point, I hadn't thought about the UI getting dumbed down. The even worse thing is, there won't be able to be any mods to fix any of beth's bugs or UI failings.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 9, 2013, 22:50 Dev

Creston wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 19:48:
Skyrim! Skyrim! Skyrim! Skyrim! Skyrim!

I wish Bethesda would release sales numbers. The PC version HAS to have outsold console versions by now. (but then again, if they admitted that, they'd have to admit they're jackasses for cowtowing to MS.)

Creston
Actually the important number is half of console sales. Because at the $60 mark, they are making about twice as much PROFIT per sale on the PC on a steam sale, as they are on a console sale for $60.
And I'm fairly sure that that number has been reached, at least compared to any other single platform

Thats why bethesda continues to release for PC.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2013, 23:00.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 9, 2013, 17:25 Dev

Acleacius wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 16:14:
On the Steam Store page, is the Specials tab (next to Coming Soon) generally reset on Mondays?

I sort of envisioned the Specials tab as a weekly list of sales, with the Daily specials popping in and out of the list during the week. Just wondering how often I need to check the Specials tab, not including the Daily specials.

Thanks.
Minimum twice a week checking that list, once during weekend and once during middle of the week. Plus the dailies on front page. That should cover the vast majority of in-steam sales. But remember, amazon and GMG frequently have sales on steam games too, sometimes even better than the steam sales. Plus the various bundles like humble bundle.

The Specials list includes ALL currently on sale in steam, including dailies, weeklies, etc. Sometimes there's other special sales too, remember that pricing is set by the publisher. Sometimes there's pre-order sales that go on for months. Sometimes there's sales of everything in a franchise except the DLC that just came out. If its not on front page, valve doesn't really have to be involved at all for sales.
For instance, prison architect was on sale 10% off as a celebration of alpha #10.

I find it useful sometimes to goto the other all specials link:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1
This is found on right hand side of store, where it says "see all specials". Steam will choke after a couple hundred on sale in the specials tab it won't show anymore. But that page shows everything on sale.

Note: If the number next to all specials changes, then items have been cycled I rarely pay much attention to that, but that's another thing that one can watch.

Also, I've found it useful to login to the steam webpage sometimes to check a sale and see if I already have something if I'm at a computer that I don't have steam installed.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2013, 17:55.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition Jun 8, 2013, 22:56 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 02:14:
nin wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 21:30:
My 1100 page skyrim bible should be here tomorrow!

#44 in Books in Amazon! #44!

Holeee crap.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 8, 2013, 22:05 Dev

Creston,
So is this the 1000+ page guide you mentioned in another thread? I was wondering what it was.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Prime World: Defenders
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Prime World: Defenders Jun 6, 2013, 21:53 Dev

A tower defense game. I've played better and worse. I do like the upgrading towers mechanic though.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition Jun 4, 2013, 20:50 Dev

Fantaz wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 20:36:
Way to release a new SKU and charge full price at $60... good job Bethesda!
Good business sense though. They will shoot right back up to the top of the charts again, especially if they discount this version (or the original version) a little.

There's still plenty of people who haven't purchased the game yet

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2013, 20:38 Dev

Best is first 3 mins and last 5 mins. Where he plays doom in dos, and reversi in windows 3. Then... at the end... he plays them both again in windows 8.

One of the few times I've been impressed by MS stuff nowadays.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2013, 20:20 Dev

deqer wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:13:
<Apple> Sorry, but we don't want people saving trailers and watching them again and again on their local machines. If you want to watch trailers, you must watch them on Apple along side the ads we'll be shoving down your throat as well.
More like "sorry, our movie studios don't want you watching trailers again and again to build hype for an upcoming movie, so we stopped doing 5.1 sound in them, and sometimes we won't put the new ones online for a week after they hit the theater. Instead we'd much rather a very few of you go watch the movie again instead of tons of you watching it free online"

Seriously, I really dislike it when they put trailers online in 1080p and they have total crap sound. I have a 5.1 speaker system that doesn't suck and it just shows how crap the sound is that most of them have. I mean mp3 super compressed sound. And when I get home from a movie and want to re-watch a trailer, maybe slow mo a few areas, and turns out they won't put it online for days or a week later, that peeves me.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 3, 2013, 21:52 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 06:41:
No one really likes getting sloppy seconds here.
If it was RDR, I'd take sloppy thirds even.

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 22:02 Dev

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 16:04:
nin wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 16:00:
Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:57:
With the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul, this has become so freaking awesome. This is back when Bethesda didn't streamline (read: cut 90% of all options) from their games.

The level of min-maxing you can do in Morrowind is so incredible. You can enchant basically everything, and then you can layer it. So you can enchant undergarments, then wear an enchanted tunic over it, an enchanted poncho or something over that, and then your enchanted daedric armor. Plus it actually had the ability to fly in the game, so you could just make a permanent flight item.

I need some free time, then I'll replay it.

Creston

Oh, and I went ahead and ordered that guide, Creston. A 1000 page hardback to set on the shelf was too good to pass up.

LOL, I just did the same thing.

Creston
What book/guide? I think the strategy guide is a soft cover.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 2, 2013, 21:51 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 21:44:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 17:22:
I don't know about "hate" for Alan Wake, but I will say "disappointment".
Indeed. Its two sins were that it wasn't as good as game as it was hyped up to be, and the initial shafting of PC players when it went from being a PC game to an Xbox exclusive. The latter in particular is where most of the hate comes from.
But, my understanding is that its finally made it to PC and has been enhanced over the xbox version, including full mouse and keyboard support (and configurability).

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 2, 2013, 21:09 Dev

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 19:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 18:48:
nin wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 15:50:
Whoa, no skyrim - WTF?

Doesn't everyone already own that?

Funny how when you do a single player only game right it sells like gangbusters.

I expect it to be back shortly, with the GOTY/Complete edition launching this week...

I actually picked it up not too long ago with the $14.95 sale on gamersgate. I wanted it under $20 and that was under $20. Now I'm waiting on the DLC to go on sale.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 2, 2013, 16:08 Dev

MS could technically say that too. They don't block used, they just charge a fee for it. MS already said it didn't need an always online, just once a day or some such crap.

Until these things are much closer to release, no way to tell for sure how much the companies are going to try and screw the consumer. My guess would be they are both going in that route. But if one of them does the smart thing and is more friendly to consumers, that could be a significant boost factor in the sales.

News Comments > Xenonauts Early Access
16. Re: Xenonauts Early Access Jun 2, 2013, 13:33 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 21:42:
I've been watching this game develop for a while. While I know the important part of this game is the gameplay, I wish the graphics had at least A LITTLE style.
There's other xcom clones with the graphics, including the recently released official one.

And if they make this modable enough, people could make their own graphics sets.

If this isn't moddable enough, there's that open source x-com clone, etc etc.

13. Re: Xenonauts Early Access Jun 1, 2013, 15:49 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:30:
Dev wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 14:31:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 11:47:
Hmm, $20 is too much for me atm.
Even for two copies?

How do you get 2 copies for 20$?
See response #8.

11. Re: Xenonauts Early Access Jun 1, 2013, 14:31 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 11:47:
Hmm, $20 is too much for me atm.
Even for two copies?

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo