Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6686 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 19:43 Dev

KS doesn't do background checks (and I'm not sure I'd want them to anyway, I think the projects should be judged individually). They may not require much, but amazon requires stuff too.
My understanding is that you MUST have a US bank account to setup everything needed. US bank accounts pretty much require someone in person to open the account.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 15, 2013, 19:41 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 17:06:
The thing that really bothers me is that MS is advertising the console and games as something you buy, when in fact you're only renting them. They retain complete control. But it's not advertised as the service it is. People are under the impression they own the games, when they clearly do not. There should be a law forcing any game and console advertising clearly stating that so consumers can make informed decisions.
But with licensing hasn't that been the case for quite a long time now for all software?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 18:19 Dev

Kickstarter entered the picture. They suspended with less than an hour to spare, thanks to the ongoing message board discussion and suspicions of ourselves and other backers. Magnus Fun, your good times are over.

Thankfully, these guys were stopped before any money changed hands.

So no, its not the biggest fraud. It was $0.

It may have been the biggest ATTEMPTED KS fraud though, where the goal was surpassed and the project about to get its money.

Incidentally, people backing it should have had more of a clue. No personal details about the people doing this, no answer to the question "how are you addressing challenges of kobe beef? It's not an ideal jerky choice", etc.

Edit:
Reading through the KS comments on the suspended project, it looks like the guy who uncovered this is being harassed at his business now (some people involved in the project are sending nasty messages to his clients). What makes this really hilarious is that this gives him legal grounds to subpoena the scammers personal info from facebook and kickstarter, and out them even further.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 18:29.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 15, 2013, 18:11 Dev

Because MS is just that arrogant? See Win 8.

Also here's a list of additional items that MS is doing with Xbone, that I've mentioned before in other threads:
PS4 is $100 cheaper, no restrictions on used games, won't have a mandatory online authentication every 24 hours, no region restrictions, has increased friendliness to indie games, and doesn't look like an old VCR. Xbone is the opposite of everything listed above.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 18:31.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
75. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 18:01 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 17:01:
Meh.. being called stupid for making the effort to find out actual numbers is low...

Maybe get some actual numbers?

Like the ones an Alpha backer would have you mean? Did I mention I am in the Alpha?... I just found that stat page interesting.... but hey, if you guys are so aggressive about my trying to find out how many BOUGHT it vs REGISTERED it then whatever.. I won't contribute to this topic anymore.
Thats entirely up to you. I'm being critical of silly numbers like "Actual stat is that about 150 people bought it on Steam".
I'm also laying out my sources and reasoning.
And when I made a mistake, I went back and edited in my post when someone pointed out that Alpha KS didn't have steam key's yet, I put in some notes about that.

If you have special sources from within the alpha, feel free to mention something like that, but the only links I saw were to that steamcharts site. I definitely want to know if there are other hard numbers out there.

I have no doubt that the actual number of sales they have is fairly low, I mean its $90. If it was $20 it would be much higher. That would bring with it a different set of problems.
My argument is about HOW low they are.

I think it does good to have a logical debate about things like this, and if I got too personal anywhere, I apologize.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 18:07.

67. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 14:33 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 13:50:
This is the little guy using MAJOR shenanigans to scam money out of people for a alpha. Do you know how many games never make it out of alpha, many of the indie games never do.

If you want to be an outright fool and support them, go ahead, while the rest of us laugh at you.
Did you bother to look into the KS? I did recently after it was over. They have released games, and its not a 1 man shop. The KS also pulled in over $2 million, and that doesn't even count the steam sales that are going on right now. Do you really think that THIS project won't ever go further than the alpha that's out right now?

While your criticism might have a point in general about indies and unreleased projects (and incidentally, publishers also often cancel projects), it looks rather poorly aimed when referring to this particular one.

65. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 14:18 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 13:49:
Fair enough and I realize the mistake now (was glossing over what that number meant too quickly), more correct would be adding concurrent players per hour together .. so a around 1500 registered on steam.
That's a mistaken assumption. That assumes everyone who had the game played in that short timeframe. I have access to grim dawn and war for the overworld on steam and I still haven't tried them out. Haven't had time.

Lets examine the KS again shall we? Maybe get some actual numbers?
KS link
44,000+ backers. At a quick glance, something like 20% pledged at $90 or above levels. I'm going to call it close to 10,000.
Even if only half of those who have alpha access bothered to register the game on steam, that would still be near 5,000 and would be far above your number.
Plus, keep in mind that its 3rd top seller on steam right now, even above skyrim. So any of those sales are above and beyond the people who did the KS, those are direct $90 steam sales. Those sales (not the KS people) are whats driving the steam top sellers numbers.

Far more likely its 15,000+ people on steam who have registered it than the silly 1500 number, or the even sillier 150 number.

Edit: I'm not a backer so I don't know for sure, but if the comment about the KS people not yet having steam keys is true, than the above might not apply. I still stand by the reasoning though, that its faulty to add up concurrent, and that 1500 sales sounds low to me to make the top 3 on steam beating skyrim.
Even if that's 100% accurate, that's still over $100,000 and isn't at all shabby for 2 day sales of a $90 game alpha.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 14:43.

News Comments > Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC for Free
21. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC for Free Jun 15, 2013, 13:42 Dev

Jivaro wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 13:20:
I don't play multiplayer much and am one of the few people on the planet that apparently only likes these games when they have a strong single player aspect.
No, there's more than just you

Thing is, those ppl who do a lot of multiplayer frequently buy DLC. So a lot of companies focus on that.

18. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC for Free Jun 15, 2013, 13:18 Dev

Linksil wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 12:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 07:52:
Jumped on BF4 for 35$ on GMG ;/ Argh, I am gullible.

Arg did you use a code for that? Or did I just miss a sale listing.
Whenever I have a question like this for GMG, I check the GMG blog:
http://blog.playfire.com/
And sure enough, there's a 25% off code for BF4 pre-order (although its european orders only, one of those publisher requirement things). Dunno if the code is still active.

60. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 13:01 Dev

NKD wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 12:37:
Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 12:34:
PHJF wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 09:19:
Unfinished projects which have not been greenlit should not be sold on Steam. Period.

That's a good point. Say for argument sake they don't get it done, or it's majorly delayed or something.

Yeah, people expect that risk from Kickstarter, but on Steam it's just called "Early Access", which implies that the game already has a release date and you're just getting in early.

Barely operational alphas don't belong on there, or need a big fat warning label.
There's also what I consider to be released games like Unepic that don't need to be in early acces.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 13:09.

14. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC for Free Jun 15, 2013, 11:21 Dev

mootant wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 09:29:
The code doesn't even fucking work, fuck origin and fuck ea.

"this code is already in use" what a joke.
While I agree with the sentiment, did you RTFA?
Or even read this thread?

"redeem product code" is the key phrase here.

56. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 11:04 Dev

OldTimber wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:02:
Pssst...they don't listen to alpha or beta feedback they, generic case not this specific dev, don't give a crap as they have everything mapped out for a release date. More to the point the marketing department has everything ready and they are the ones pushing it out. Do you think any title released in the past 5-10 years wouldn't have been better at launch without issues if they actually listened to the feedback?

A fool and his money are soon parted... be it 5 cents or 5k to a kickstarter. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to start dropping on projects where people pony up and the devs figure shit this game will be crap and stop development after extracting 10mil or so from some saps based on screen shots or early tech demos. Thanks for paying our salaries as we dragged it out.
No software projects on KS have hit $10m. Biggest one was torment with a bit over $4m and eternity with just under that, and a bit over $3m and wasteland 2 with a bit under that.

The $10m figure was hit by star citizen, but thats including a long paypal campaign, and it also doesn't include another something like an additional $10m private funding which is certainly going to have strings attached. Also, that game is a weird mix of F2P, P2W, MMO, and other things like subscriptions that are making me doubt it (and glad that I only got in on one of those limiter lower price tiers when a slot opened up). Which is sad, because privateer is one of my all time favorite games.

Anyway, aside from DF (which said nothing other than Adventure Game and documentary), most of the KS projects invest a significant amount of time into the game/campaign before it ever hits KS. In many cases, its a lifelong dream of a group or company. Why the heck would they screw up their company and dream like that and just abandon making the game? Like wasteland 2 with Brian Fargo, he's been BEGGING publishers for decades now to help him publish a game like that. He's not going to just give up on it. And lets say the game does end up crap, why would they not release it at all? The game development was already funded by the KS, if they make 0 additional sales, they are still ok. Every sale they do make is almost pure profit at that point.
You might have a point with the smaller KS projects, the ones that are only $50k and who've never been involved in any project, and mis-estimated everything. One KS I backed was like that "we ran out of money and if we're lucky the game might come out in 2 more years beyond the year we are already late since we can now only work on it in our limited spare time." But in that case I had only pledged like $5, and its not a massive multimillion project. Its a true indie project. KS projects have risks, they aren't a guarantee. And those risks are much higher when its someone who has never gone through game development.

Also, many KS have very active forums, and DO listen to feedback. You can see the evidence of that as they implement or fix things in each build.

Incidentally, here's the top funded KS video game category:
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/video%20games/most-funded
This game is the 10th most funded with over $2m. Its actually more than star citizen got for its KS campaign.

Now I wish I would have taken a closer look at it. I just skipped even looking into it when it was on KS, figuring it was yet another KS for yet another boring looking RTS.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 12:13.

55. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 10:53 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:04:
ugh, people really are buying this 90 dollar version. Steam is for the SALES, people, not paying extra.

Its for whatever the companies want to use it for, and the people want to buy it for.

For instance, that train game. Its a niche product, rarely goes on sale, and the entire set of DLC will set you back $1000+ when its on 50% off sale.
But the target market (model train people) have no problem with their pricing. The company is mostly using steam as a distribution platform. Its almost a moot point for them that steam has a huge customer account base (although they've benefited from that no doubt, but that is NOT why they started using steam).

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 11:05.

53. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 10:49 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 23:54:
Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.

Where are you getting that data?

This indicates otherwise?

Although maybe there is a more up to date list somewhere...
Thats for the whole week, and is the past week. I.e. every 7 or so days they release it, and its for previous days and is already outdated when they release it
For instant sales ranking (note that the weekly is also based on revenue, the instant one may be different) goto steam (web page or client) and click TOP SELLERS tab. Currently this game is in 3rd.

16. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 22:57 Dev

And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.  

News Comments > Double Fine Working on Two Unannounced Games
4. Re: Double Fine Working on Two Unannounced Games Jun 14, 2013, 09:00 Dev

Not an usual thing for DF, if you've watched any of the videos about the making of Broken Age. They try to frequently have multiple (usually smaller, not AAA sized) games going on, so that they don't have to continually fire people after that one big project, then re-hire them at the next big project.  

News Comments > DNF Royalties Lawsuit
5. Re: DNF Royalties Lawsuit Jun 13, 2013, 16:59 Dev

I DOUBT that gearbox lost money on it. Because they sure didn't put much into it. Gearbox says its "3dr's" game, but last I heard, this was all done by gearbox. Didn't they mostly just get the IP and the game itself was done from scratch over again by gearbox?  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jun 13, 2013, 09:00 Dev

jimnms wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 03:31:
FTL 50% off ($4.99) on the official website. It's sold through the Humble Store, so you get a Steam key and DRM free download.
Problem is, basically no one on my friends list has that on their wishlist, mostly they have it already

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
42. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:10 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:56:
Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:26:
In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

Uh? What would you consider the PS2 to be, if not the clear winner for its generation?
Or is your "past couple generations" limited to just the very last generation?
No, I never really saw ps2 being a clear winner over xbox 1. Just my opinion. Like I said, I dislike consoles in general, it would have to be a heck of a difference (such as now) for me to notice or care about and decide one is a winner.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 00:26 Dev

PS4 is $100 cheaper, no restrictions on used games, won't have a mandatory online authentication every 24 hours, no region restrictions, has increased friendliness to indie games, and doesn't look like an old VCR. Xbone is the opposite of everything listed above. In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

I normally dislike MS and Sony quite a lot. I also don't like consoles much in general. This time though, I think sony has moved in the right direction.

And they were smart to hide all the info making people think the worst, then blow it all out at once impressing everyone at once, just in time for canceling the xbone pre-orders and doing ps4 instead.

6686 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo