Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6821 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
17. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2015, 14:42 Dev

BTW, be careful of this link. My Kaspersky is alerting me of a bad jsquery object on it, that it says is trying to download malware.
Blue: I suggest linking another site besides gamepolitics.

This guy also was found guilty of discharging a firearm. So he has or has access to a gun and is shooting it off, which is not a good sign in a case like this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 6, 2015, 13:31 Dev

Awesome of our Gov to give bad ideas to all the other 3rd world countries out there.  

News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?
61. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 28, 2015, 13:06 Dev

It's allowed since steam gives full price freedom to it's clients.

The defense is to check isthereanydeal.com for price history, or better yet, install the enhanced steam chrome plugin and it will tell you on every page if it's the lowest ever sale by using that data, or what the lowest ever sale was on the item you are looking at.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Debut
6. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Debut Nov 25, 2015, 12:15 Dev

Wake me when they keep to their "we will frequently update drives now really we promise" promises that they've done every few years and stick to for like 1 quarter.
I've seen monthly and quarterly promises broken.

Promises to rededicate themselves to drivers make me think of microsofts promises to rededicate themselves to PC games. At least AMD's actions/promises don't usually harm the entire PC gaming industry.

The sad thing is, from what I've seen, while they sometimes have more capable hardware than NVidia, they rarely take advantage of it with the drivers, and it always ends up hurting them in benchmarks. Then there's the total failure to provide timely crossfire driver support for games. Nvidia often has that out of the gate on release day, and also has a fallback manual SLI mode option. The rare people who own SLI/crossfire are also the most diehard gamers likely to buy games and video card hardware on day 1, and these are the ones most getting screwed over by poor drivers.

Anyway, this is a good move, just not enough to make me think positively of them until they start consistently showing driver development.

Edit: From anadtech
"AMD also polled the community of Radeon users for their top 10 most annoying bugs, and it claims to have fixed those issues in the Crimson release. Some of the more galling problems that the community brought to light included GTA V crashes on Radeon R9 390X cards, errors related to driver installation on systems with Radeon R9 380 cards, and a Diablo 3 crash in the Desolate Sands area of the game."

This is the kinda thing they need to do more often, both NVidia and AMD. Fix the top most complained about graphics drivers issues.

"AMD says it plans up to six major WHQL Radeon Software releases in 2016, along with additional beta releases. That's compared to three WHQL releases and nine beta releases for all of 2015. Given that Nvidia will be releasing 12 WHQL driver updates by the end of this year alone, AMD may have to lean on quality over quantity for those releases, but the polish of Radeon Software Crimson Edition suggests the company has the chops necessary to do just that. "

Exactly what I was talking about above. And no, I don't believe they have the chops to keep this additional promise of a new WHQL driver every 2 months.

Edit 2:
Looks like AMD didn't bother testing Fallout 4, it's such a tiny unknown game release, right?
This driver release apparently breaks the compass in it. Though some people may prefer that for realism

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2015, 12:30.

News Comments > On Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Support
5. Re: On Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Support Nov 25, 2015, 12:02 Dev

I've been waiting for a deep steam sale. Maybe others have too. I own everything Space Battles 1 already.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Command Warning
17. Re: Fallout 4 Console Command Warning Nov 24, 2015, 15:56 Dev

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 12:57:
You can do hilariously bad things with the console. I tried to 'setscale' an irritating bush, that was messing up an awesome house I was trying to build, to 0 , and instead I apparently clicked, like, "THE WORLD", and setscaled that to 0, and oops.
LOL, what happened?

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Top Five
4. Re: Green Man Gaming Top Five Nov 23, 2015, 22:10 Dev

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 21:19:
Grokk wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 20:42:
I wonder if the steam top10 includes keys purchased elsewhere?

Given that GMG sells steam keys, some of those could possibly be counted twice.
Not that it really makes any difference to me though.

I always assumed it was best selling games regardless of where the keys come from.
No, steam top10 is revenue. They couldn't track that kinda thing from other companies.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 23, 2015, 09:21 Dev

Armengar wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 02:29:
Are these metrics based on sales or activations?
As per steam, it's revenue. It used to be defined in the RSS feed. It's also been defined in valve comments from multiple people:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24482701#post24482701

News Comments > Star Control Founder's Program
6. Re: Star Control Founder's Program Nov 20, 2015, 09:49 Dev

I love star control series!  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Sales Soar
21. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Sales Soar Nov 17, 2015, 17:00 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 15:17:
Movie theaters don't get to inflate their day one sales figures with who knows how many pre-orders they amassed by spending tens of millions in advertising throughout the months leading up to opening day, many of which were digital and so had next to no associated distribution cost or logistical consideration...
Actually...

See star wars imax pre-order sales months in advance breaking all the records.
So they do

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
31. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 16:58 Dev

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 04:09:
Back to GMG, it makes sense that not all publishers would want to sign contracts with them. GMG routinely offers 20-30% off pre-orders (or any game, really) and publishers generally don't like it when such discounts are offered so early.

Don't the publishers get the same amount of money no matter what the retail price ends up being? How does that discussion even go??

"Hey, we make 30 bucks per copy sold, and if the retailer sells a million at 40 bucks, we have 30 million bucks."
"No, the retailer has to sell at 60 bucks, so we only sell half a million copies!"
"But... then we only... have... 15... my head hurts."
Would depend on the contract. Some could be for percentages, or for a scale that adjusts as the price of the game falls, etc.
I know valve lets devs get however many free keys they want. No idea if they restrict the use of those.

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
23. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 09:53 Dev

I think he missed a "no" that he meant to put so it would read "no difference"

"Letís be clear here; there is a difference"

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Sales Soar
7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Sales Soar Nov 11, 2015, 14:20 Dev

That's why they qualify by saying "this year"  

News Comments > No More WoW Numbers
46. Re: No More WoW Numbers Nov 5, 2015, 09:29 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 16:03:
It'd be great if they do something with Starcraft similar to WoW or hearthstone. The fantasy setting has never been my favorite (although Divinity Original Sin EE...holy shit is that fun)

Can't wait for CD Project red to do their cyberpunk thing. Loved Witcher 3 as well I think in large part because it wasn't "high fantasy".

Same here, prefer sci fi, but fantasy sells more sadly.

News Comments > Blizzard Updating Older Games for Modern OSes
22. Re: Blizzard Updating Older Games for Modern OSes Nov 5, 2015, 09:22 Dev

Alamar wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:35:
Man... I would kick the shit out of this position... : )
So... Apply?

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
24. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 21:45 Dev

nimski wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 19:05:
With those numbers I'd guess they would be smurf accounts or a new scam brewing. Valve would know where they're coming from and how they're being used however.
That might make sense... if this wasn't concurrent logins.

11. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 16:46 Dev

Bubicus wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 16:34:
To be in the top 20% of Steam users you need only own 4 games.

Growth is growth, but we should be careful not to portray Steam as millions of users willing and eager to buy full price games. A large majority of users don't spend any meaningful amount of money.

Of course, the top 20% spenders of the millions of iOS and Android users own ZERO games (well, OK; to be fair, it's some decimal between 0 and 1) and just spend on free-to-play, so it's encouraging that at least Steam users will spend money on something that isn't designed to annoy users constantly.

Also, if those 4 games one owns are moneymakers on microtransactions like TF2, DOTA2, or CS:GO, then the money flow is going to be similar to if they were buying a bunch of full price games

Text for your Link
It's estimated they took in 1.5 billion last year, with about 50% of that being profit.

9. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 16:32 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 14:55:
The fact that it's happening before those releases makes me think Valve is just changing their counting and reporting systems, not that genuine new records are being set of that magnitude.

First rule of data analysis: If you see numbers in your data set that are outliers with previous measurements, first look to measurement error before trying to determine a causal mechanism.
Or that as previously mentioned on blues, the huge growth of things like CS:GO and add in DOTA 2. It's highly likely it's legitimate.

News Comments > Steam Security Tips
11. Re: Steam Security Tips Nov 1, 2015, 16:29 Dev

Armengar wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 10:28:
so whats the difference between this and the email code I get when I log onto steam from an unauth. pc?
One comes from email
One comes from phone

Just depends on how well protected each of them is for you. Phone authenticators are generally considered to be a better 2nd factor than email.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2015, 15:25 Dev

That level 2 is so freaking awesome. That whole concept is awesome

ALSO, they are doing a kickstarter where for under $2 you can get a chance to be one of the controlling players in level 3.
Text for your Link

6821 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo