Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6668 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week
9. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week Jun 25, 2013, 20:56 Dev

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 08:56:
I did as well, until seeing totalbiscuit playing it a month or two ago...I think the branding kind of hurt them there.
Exactly. I assumed the same the first time I saw the name.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week Jun 25, 2013, 00:57 Dev

Asmo wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 23:40:
Side note, I'm fucking horrible at time organisation and prioritisation...
Sadly, you aren't alone in this. In fact, I think the majority of the population is in this category (I myself have issues with that). Thats probably why there's so many organizer products sold
Slashman wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 00:21:
Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 21:15:
I've enjoyed this game too.

If you just remember that this has NOTHING to do with sword of the stars (they really should have called it something else), then you are good.

All of the creatures and lore in it are from the SoTS universe though. So it's not like it's a bad name. Although I guess I see where you're coming from in that it's not a 4x space strategy game.
My point is more that people who like roguelike games may not want anything to do with 4x space game, and the sword of the stars makes most gamers who know that name think 4x. I think that name does them a disservice.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2013, 23:17 Dev

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/2012/08/defenders-quest-coming-to-steam.html

New Game+ mode!
7 new sidequests!
Lots of new cutscenes! (for the sidequests)
8 bonus battles!
8 magic books for Azra!
Unique item upgrades, with special powers!
Re-balanced spells that grow with Azra's level!
Advanced targeting logic for defenders!
New enemy types!
New bosses!
Mod support!
Tons of bugfixes!
Tons of balance tweaks!
Preview enemy stats before battle!
Detailed enemy and status effect info in battle!

Seems like a big upgrade since last I played, thanks for the headsup

Edit:
Interesting,
gamasutra article
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/2013/02/steam-linux-sale-results.html

Steam sales numbers always interest me. Here's some links from an indie guy laying out his detailed sales numbers for Defender's Quest. The majority of his revenue has come in when he's run sales. I like his graphs and hard numbers, both on copies sold and revenue generated, and distribution platforms (such as steam, direct, GoG, desura, etc), and machine platforms (PC, Mac, Linux). Some interesting bits, almost 40% of people who tried the free demo on steam bought the game. Half the people who try the demo on steam play for 10 or more hours

Edit 2:
A couple easter eggs. Make sure to click the bonus goodies and click the facebook option. It gives you the item even if you DONT click like in facebook. Make sure to go back into that menu and pick the other option too

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2013, 23:46.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2013, 23:09 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 22:39:
If you haven't played it in a while, you should fire it up again... They added New Game+ recently, including new levels and upgrading your eventually useless unique equips.
Oh?
Thanks for the headsup. Yeah its been a while

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Battling Through "Legal Hell"?
30. Re: Baldur's Gate III Battling Trough Jun 24, 2013, 21:34 Dev

Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 10:40:
Here's the thing, though. Beamdog GOT the rights to remake 1&2, and presumably the right to develop a third installment.
More than likely they got the rights for the remakes from interplay for a song, and its doubtful that interplay ever had the rights for a 3rd game.

They'd be much better off developing their own IP for a new game. Everyone knew (or should have known) that the IP for BG is very complicated. bioware, EA, atari, WotC, hasbro, black isle, interplay, etc are all in the pot.
And now that its been shown that the remake is worth some money, all of those are going to want a chunk of change. Some of them (like WotC) may not even be interested in doing any licenses for any price.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2013, 21:16 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:34:
I'll plug Defender's Quest. Great game, and it runs on your laptop.
Yep, I paid for it back on kongregate. Its a fun tower defense game.

2. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week Jun 24, 2013, 21:15 Dev

I've enjoyed this game too.

If you just remember that this has NOTHING to do with sword of the stars (they really should have called it something else), then you are good.

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
102. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 00:54 Dev

kanniballl wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 23:16:
Observations
  • Slightly better start-up ships? That's fine

• Some decent cargo-ships instead of that start-up courier-class ships? Meh

• For the above (for now) they're trying to entice donations so of course milk it. But even after release... they ships are quite stock and don't have anything special.
    Don't forget the other ones I mentioned. The constellation with multiple turrets and a fighter bay, available at $250, and the pirate ship with multiple turrets avail as a $100+ add-on.
    And there was also that limited time $300 alien fighter ship.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2013, 01:06.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2013, 00:52 Dev

Panickd wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 23:34:
    Tumbler wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 23:13:
    I'm very happy with how Planetary Annihilation is coming along. I went in on the $100 kickstarter package so at some point I'll see an awesome T-shirt and a bad ass little model of my commander!

Had several kickstarter things happen this week, Star Citizen shipped me my Citizen card, Rear Admiral in Chrome Metal, looks amazing plus my two T-shirts and the board game The Perfect Heist showed up!

You appear to be someone who has too much money. With that in mind there is a bridge I'd like to talk to you about buying. Or perhaps you'd be more interested in our beach front property in Arizona.
    Or come up with a kickstarter and get a bunch of people's money
    I suggest delivering an actual product though, not just taking the money and running like that one recent fraudster tried to do.

96. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 21:20 Dev

Krizzen wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 21:06:
    I'm probably alone, but this whole Star Citizen thing is a big snorefest to me. Of course, I don't play EVE and never got into Wing Commander.

Wake me up when there's a new TIE Fighter.
    If star citizen is successful enough we might see disney sub-contract such a game out.

Or we might never ever see it happen. The nice thing about this game is that its a generic space sim. No need to deal with EA on old origins IP.

94. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 19:25 Dev

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 16:44:
    Well, I guess you missed my point - skepticism is NOT griping. You are clueless if you think my reservations are based on forking out money. My Steam catalog alone is up to almost 2000 games and dlc packs, and I own over half of the GOG catalog, so spending money on gaming isn't a problem for me. If you have been around modern gaming for long enough you've only been screwed about a hundred times - that tends to breed a very healthy skepticism about these kinds of too-good-to-be-true projects. You mention his pedigree - need I go into how many developers with amazing pedigrees have completely lost their touch or just gone off the rails? Molyneux, Will Wright, John Carmack, Cliff Blezinski, Warren Spector, etc, etc, etc? Does Roberts still have his mojo after al this time? Who knows. Nothing really can be "safely assumed" in this day and age, and most people have learned that the hard way.

The point is, despite how negative this sounds, I am rooting for Roberts to do what you are saying he will with this release. I really am. But I guess I am just too jaded to get all excited anymore about these wonderful sounding projects. Talk to me again when the game ships and we can put it through its paces. If it turns out as great as you expect, I'll be the first to admit my fears were unfounded.
    I agree completely. Of course my steam catalog is "only" about 800 games.
    And I've already pledged in the KS for this game.
    I'm also rooting for Roberts to succeed, I just have my doubts (in large part, based on info thats already been released by him about this project, such as the massive private funding it has).

I'm much more optimistic about Wasteland 2, and every video they've released of it just gets me more optimistic

News Comments > On Sale
    2. Re: On Sale Jun 23, 2013, 17:43 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 17:18:
    Anyone ever play Pharaoh + Cleopatra or Children of the Nile? Were they good?
    I enjoyed the children of the nile games.

Keep in mind they are older games now. It was a different take on a sim city kinda game, with some settlers style materials/people management built in. Some missions your goal was to build a monument (its Egyptian pharaohs after all) so there was trading quarrying and stuff to get the materials needed to build it. Often one had to build up an economy to get certain kinds of materials (again think settlers). So like for bricks, you'd need something like clay and straw. There was also a rudimentary combat kinda thing tacked on (usually for if some county was wanting to raid you and you needed to defend yourself), although I personally preferred the building missions.

I recommend skipping around these two videos (no need to watch the whole thing to get a taste for what the game is about):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFRTLcNkr_o
    Shows what you start off like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCP-09XJEjo
    Shows a fully established city building one of the great monuments in one of the later missions.

If the videos interest you and you like city management kinda games (sim city, anno 2070, settlers), then you'll likely enjoy this. If you are turned off by older graphics or city building games, then you probably won't like it.

86. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 15:25 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 14:48:
    Slashman wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 13:56:
    What kind of investor would want that kind of potential risk to their revenue stream? Do they even understand what Roberts is planning?

Those that don't worry about revenue streams, aka Kickstarters. Those that invested outside of that, I hope they weren't lead to believe revenue streams were A#1.
    Yeah, but in this case, seems like outside private money is the majority of what went into this project. Pretty sure it was something like $10m outside investing.
    I'm thinking thats why the project is getting all this F2P, P2W, and MMO elements, because of the project behind beholden to that private investing and that being very hot for private investing right now.

80. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 13:27 Dev

Flatline wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 13:23:
    And here's another thing- if what someone else in thread said is true and that they're only offering to sell all these ships until the Alpha, that's kind of f*cked up.
    My understanding is its just lifetime insurance on these ships thats being limited. They will NOT stop selling ships, thats going to be a major part of the games microtransactions.

I also I don't think lifetime insurance as a whole is going away, my guess is that after release, they will release new ships every few months in the game and offer lifetime insurance during a limited period, to encourage people to buy them while at their full initial price.

News Comments > Surgeon Simulator 2013 Adds TF2 Characters
    7. Re: Surgeon Simulator 2013 Adds TF2 Characters Jun 23, 2013, 12:33 Dev

Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 01:55:
    They will sell copies by the bucket load if they add gynecology DLC.

While a certain segment of people would be into surgery on that part of the body, that wouldn't be me.

77. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 11:56 Dev

Overon wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 01:51:
    I have to agree with Flatline there is way too much speculation and blind trust in Roberts Space Industries.
    I agree.

I'm also hesitant to trust everything they say given how they've weasel worded everything.

"its not an mmo" but technically it really is

"its not a P2W" but technically it really is

"never have subscriptions" but they do (and yes I know that they so far aren't required to play so that technically meets what they said, but that could change).

But man, I sure hope the game turns out well! If its handled well, it could turn out to be the best and most epic space sim ever. If its handled poorly, I would be very sad
    kanniballl wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 11:50:
    So far doesn't look PayToWin. The fighter-class of the 300-series isn't the best one out there supposedly. Others are talking about better ones in the gaming forums. These are just better starting-ships. Look at the specs: low-tier weapon mounts and no turrets. Chances are you'll want to upgrade to a Hornet or something.
    Its technically P2W. Doesn't matter if its end ships or early ships that you buy. Doesn't matter if you can still get them with in game currency or not. Thats just a matter of how extreme the P2W is. Its looking like its not that extreme so far, but its still P2W.

Also, better ships were and ARE still avail on the pledges if you pledge enough. Like the $250 level constellation with turret(s) (the description reads both ways, 1 turret or 2 turrets, so who knows what it actually has) and a fighter. Or the pirate cutlass (as I recall that was a $100+ add on) with 2 turrets.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2013, 12:19.

45. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 23:09 Dev

ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 23:04:
    Edit. I just saw the subscription stuff. It's kinda weird and like you said, it's unclear how that'll play out. But it's fully optional.
    Its fully optional NOW anyway. Or they may end up offering something like "subscribe and you get all these ships" or pay a one time fee for them. Or they might keep it like it is and give out mostly news.

Anyway, for anyone else looking, subscriptions are on the main purchase page:
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/
    Its on the right, above any of the game packages.

43. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 22:44 Dev

ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 22:33:
    Right. It's not F2P, not P2W, not MMO(depending on your definition) and has no subscription though :p
    They have subscriptions available right now (despite the claims they never would offer any). They are supposed to be mostly news at the moment, but they don't actually say if you even get the game with them. Who knows how subscriptions will play out by the time its released.

Its P2W by definition if you are buying ships and not cosmetic stuff, even if its something you can earn in game. It might not be as extreme as things where the good stuff is ONLY avail if you pay money, but its there. Similar to EVE in that way, you can earn everything starting at the bottom, or just throw money in and start much higher up.

As for F2P, he's mentioned before that he wants EVERYONE to be able to play it, I guess its F2P more in the sense of guild wars rather than WoW. And who knows, it could change by the time the game is released. He may decide that everyone who has bought into it is only getting the ships/insurance and that its actually going to be free to everyone at release, then that would give a broader install base for microtransaction purchases. One of the big key things with F2P is to try and push microtransactions as hard as possible, and thats what I see happening. The same stuff I see when I play casual F2P games, I see happening with ships and insurance, etc here.

As for MMO, despite the denials of it being one, it has all the hallmarks. A large number of players. A permanent, persistent world on company servers (yes they are supposed to let people run their own servers, we'll see how much they do with that, especially since that would discourage microtransaction purchases). Etc.

39. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 22:30 Dev

ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 22:26:
    They just passed 10m
    No, they passed that LONG ago with the private funding. The private funding along was something like $10m as I recall. So really they are more like $20m.
    Its the private funding that he's beholden to that I think is driving the whole F2P/P2W/MMO/subscription mix of weirdness. Like he's throwing everything in thats "hot" right now.

Anyway, like I said, I hope my doubts are false and everyone else is correct. Because I'd love for my KS pledge to work out just great and I'd love to have a game even half as good as Privateer or Wing Commander.

37. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 22:25 Dev

Also, there is NOTHING stylish about origin or EA  

6668 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 20.
    < Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo