Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6708 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 01:52 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 00:32:
Between the daily deals, the flash sales and the community choices, there have been a ridiculous amount of repeats. I really wish they wouldn't repeat anything until the final day.
Thats the same as its always been. During big steam sales, flash sales have always been part of the dailies. And very often they are repeats of past dailies in that sale, especially when voted.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed
12. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 01:08 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 22:14:
Hope they can still get it out for Xmas.
I think they could. Just depends on if they fall further behind or not. Right now they are only about 6 weeks behind from what he says.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Launch Trailer
20. Re: Shadowrun Returns Launch Trailer Jul 19, 2013, 21:12 Dev

Julio wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 16:34:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 10:35:
If enough people convince me this is better than Fallout Tactics I'm sold. In other words, not a hugely disappointing missed opportunity.

There is no chance this is better than Fallout Tactics.
I think you mean there is no chance its not better. Fallout tactics was one of the weaker games of the bunch.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed
7. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:59 Dev

Some other bits from the update:
I can happily announce that we remain well financed for development, thus allowing us to ship a product without compromise. This is primarily due to our disciplined spending, project planning and the benefit of our back catalog sales to cover any extra product features and content we loved.
Itís also important to note that we do not profit from the monies raised from crowd funding as we take 100% of that money (plus extra money in our case) and put it into the game, a game that we can be proud of and one that can become a classic.
This feature complete playable is about 6 weeks behind where I had wanted it to be but I canít be too surprised considering the increased scope.
Unity has played a huge part in allowing us to make a game of this scale in a short period of time. The ease of use with Unity, the asset store and our working with the crowd to help source additional content has allowed us to spend less time on the mundane and more on the creative aspects.
The process for development of this game is one that was born from necessity and has made us smarter about how to deliver an amazing amount of content for a reasonable budget. We have also benefited from having just one game in production at a time.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Launch Trailer
13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Launch Trailer Jul 19, 2013, 03:58 Dev

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 22:30:
This is my first SR experience, and I think I'll take Decker as well. The hacking minigame looks too cool not to check out.

My first too, but I dunno what I'll take. My understanding is that you can usually work as a team, so even if you don't take a decker, that won't lock you out of the hacking experience.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2013, 09:22 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 01:12:
They have shrinks on board for this stuff. In fact they even have an opening for one right now....
Yes NOW they do, but when did they hire the first one? Was it before things like flash deals started on steam during a summer sale years back?

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: Steam Psychology... Jul 16, 2013, 23:56 Dev

Asmo wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 23:46:
Are there any parts of that article that actually surprised anyone? I don't think you need to actually study psychology to see a page full of hooks every time you check what's new... =)
But I wonder if valve actually have any psychologists telling them those things, or they just stumbled onto ways to increase their sales after doing it this many years. I remember valve telling us that they experimented with the steam economy without knowing anything they were doing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound
9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound Jul 16, 2013, 10:21 Dev

InBlack wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 09:31:
Why do they send keys beforehand anyway...this is all very strange and confusing to me...
Because they are the kickstarters and they have email addys for all of them?

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2013, 22:52 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:46:
Picked up that Deus game - hoping to get some time in it this week. Been watching it for a while, looks like a mix of Populous and Black and White.....maybe it is noting like that, but looks interesting.
Reus I think you mean?
Quinn wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 20:25:
You guys think there's a chance the Divinity Anthology will go lower than 66% discount on Steam? I have a sudden urge to buy it! Divine Divinity was the best game of the genre that I've ever played.
In this sale, flash and dailies are lowest.
If you mean in the future, who knows?
But thats what you check the steam price charts for:
http://www.steamprices.com/us/sub/17798/divinity-anthology
Looks like thats the lowest its ever been on steam.

News Comments > Valve's Young Developer Pipeline
10. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 15:55 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 14:41:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:07:
Valve Opens Teen Sweat Shop, World Rejoices!

Creston

Standard 14-hour work day full of joy and merriment!!! Whip
Naw, more like 4 hour.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 16:16 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 15:56:
Lol, you sure it wasn't a few seconds? Some cards are around 10-15 cents and others are around 20-25, I think it has to do with how many are in the set, or other random factors. But one thing I am sure of, is there are whackos out there with no life and/or a really nice bot setup, playing trading cards like the stock market and buying all the low-priced outliers like yours, then throwing them up at or just under market value. They be rollin' in copper swimming pools, I'm sure...
Eh, I doubt its that easy. Don't forget valve takes 15%, and it usually ends up being 2 cents on the lower priced things. So if the normal price is 15 cents and you buy for 12 cents then resell at the going rate, you make a grand total of 1 cent selling it.

And everytime I clicked an outlier to get (sold a bunch of cards to get some cards for sets I wanted, like hl2 or portal 2), it was gone before I could get it. So someone is competing against like 500 other people trying to buy that stuff too.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
97. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2013, 20:50 Dev

Prez wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 16:09:
Wow - you guys are awesome! Who says Bluesnews is full of grumpy old jaded haters? Not this guy, nosiree.
WUT!!! HOW DARE U DENY THAT BLUES IS FULL OF HATERS!

83. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 23:47 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 20:13:
I'm thinking about getting Terraria, The Binding of Isaac, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and FTL: Faster Than Light. It's 4 games for less than $35 and that seems like a good deal.

Xcom is often on sale cheaper at GMG than steam usually puts it on sale for.

66. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 20:03 Dev

BTW, its best to shop in a browser rather than the client and keep a tab open with the latest contents of your cart. Steam is having great fun in repeating a bug I've seen before, namely emptying your cart randomly when you add something.
Buying 5 items at a time is probably a good idea so it doesn't kill off a whole cartfull.

61. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 19:26 Dev

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:13:
Wow - talk about bad timing! I think I was just fired from my job this evening. So no purchases on the Steam sale for me until I know that I can do the mundane things in life like pay my mortgage and put food on the table. Right now it's one of those "don't call us we'll call you" kind of things to see if I am still employed or not, so in the meantime there's a whole cabinet of heavy liquor begging to be drunk sitting in my kitchen. Bottoms up! Drunk2
Wow man, that sucks!
Make sure your wishlist is updated, and put the stuff you most want at the top, you may end up getting some stuff anyway

55. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 19:11 Dev

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1
"No results were returned for that query."

OMG really? You disable that search right when the summer sales start, then only let someone display the first 100 items on sale? Brilliant valve, brilliant. You sure are making it hard to throw money at you.

Edit: nm, it was just valve being valve and having storefront issues. Still no excuse though.

54. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:59 Dev

Pigeon wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 15:07:
I'm a little flummoxed Skyrim Legendary is only %40 off on a flash sale.
Were you the only one who didn't notice how long they kept original at $60 and how long it took to get any decent sales?
Seriously, why would they drop it if its still selling crazy well? The legendary is still in top steam sale charts at $60, why would they do a deep discount on it yet?

SlimRam wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:30:
Ah well the next time you guys hear from me I'll probably be in a homeless shelter after my woman tosses my dumbass to the curb.

...I just hope they have a computer there...
Careful, in the news was a whack job gal who tried to hire someone to kill her husband
news link includes video of her trying to hire
She said it was easier than divorce, wanted it done outside because it would be messy and hard to clean, and apparently mostly wanted it done so a gal friend of hers could move in with her.
She also tried to pay with the few dollars and change in her purse, and promised to pay more afterwards.

Her husband promises she is forgiven and doesn't want her prosecuted.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:59.

52. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:52 Dev

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:49:
It really wouldn't be that much to ask of Valve to make sure that the storefront JUST FUCKING WORKS. And if you can't figure out how to do it, ask Amazon.

Creston
Or just use amazon to HOST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!
LOL.

Anyway, don't put it through again until you confirm you didn't get the confirm email and after a steam restart, its still not in your library. Valve is a real bear to deal with in customer support and they got nutty anal if you have any billing issues (like delete your account if you have a couple chargebacks anal).

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:59.

50. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:40 Dev

And as usual, steam is having issues

Sorry
The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.
Error 503 Service Unavailable
XID: 1740698750

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:08:
Flo wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:48:
AAAAAND it's down.

It really is fucking ridiculous that year after year after year valve just fucking refuses to temporarily put some extra goddamned capacity in place.

Creston
I say this every year, and usually no one else says anything about it.
Its not just the big sales, its the big game releases.

protip: if the majority of your income depends on your storefront being up, your storefront should be #1 absolute priority to keep up. Things like redundant servers, load balancing, way more reserve bandwidth than needed.

The really really sad thing is, its not really bandwidth thats the problem.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/
None of the servers there are maxed. Which means its all front end issues. Just as its been every single other time I've checked.

Its not like valve doesn't have a ton of data points and info from past sales and how much each new sale has increased over the last one.

As a friend of mine said
"That would take 1:) Management direction and 2.) People who like to run a website. Neither of which Valve has."

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:48.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2013, 00:14 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 21:29:
Seems to be a trend with Ms. Announce shitty business decision, walk it back to something more reasonable. On paper people should be happy... In reality ms looks like an incompetent con man.
And if people don't object too much, probably keep the crappy decision.

6708 Comments. 336 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo