Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6696 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
83. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 23:47 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 20:13:
I'm thinking about getting Terraria, The Binding of Isaac, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and FTL: Faster Than Light. It's 4 games for less than $35 and that seems like a good deal.

Xcom is often on sale cheaper at GMG than steam usually puts it on sale for.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 20:03 Dev

BTW, its best to shop in a browser rather than the client and keep a tab open with the latest contents of your cart. Steam is having great fun in repeating a bug I've seen before, namely emptying your cart randomly when you add something.
Buying 5 items at a time is probably a good idea so it doesn't kill off a whole cartfull.

61. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 19:26 Dev

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:13:
Wow - talk about bad timing! I think I was just fired from my job this evening. So no purchases on the Steam sale for me until I know that I can do the mundane things in life like pay my mortgage and put food on the table. Right now it's one of those "don't call us we'll call you" kind of things to see if I am still employed or not, so in the meantime there's a whole cabinet of heavy liquor begging to be drunk sitting in my kitchen. Bottoms up! Drunk2
Wow man, that sucks!
Make sure your wishlist is updated, and put the stuff you most want at the top, you may end up getting some stuff anyway

55. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 19:11 Dev

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1
"No results were returned for that query."

OMG really? You disable that search right when the summer sales start, then only let someone display the first 100 items on sale? Brilliant valve, brilliant. You sure are making it hard to throw money at you.

Edit: nm, it was just valve being valve and having storefront issues. Still no excuse though.

54. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:59 Dev

Pigeon wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 15:07:
I'm a little flummoxed Skyrim Legendary is only %40 off on a flash sale.
Were you the only one who didn't notice how long they kept original at $60 and how long it took to get any decent sales?
Seriously, why would they drop it if its still selling crazy well? The legendary is still in top steam sale charts at $60, why would they do a deep discount on it yet?

SlimRam wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:30:
Ah well the next time you guys hear from me I'll probably be in a homeless shelter after my woman tosses my dumbass to the curb.

...I just hope they have a computer there...
Careful, in the news was a whack job gal who tried to hire someone to kill her husband
news link includes video of her trying to hire
She said it was easier than divorce, wanted it done outside because it would be messy and hard to clean, and apparently mostly wanted it done so a gal friend of hers could move in with her.
She also tried to pay with the few dollars and change in her purse, and promised to pay more afterwards.

Her husband promises she is forgiven and doesn't want her prosecuted.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:59.

52. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:52 Dev

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:49:
It really wouldn't be that much to ask of Valve to make sure that the storefront JUST FUCKING WORKS. And if you can't figure out how to do it, ask Amazon.

Creston
Or just use amazon to HOST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!
LOL.

Anyway, don't put it through again until you confirm you didn't get the confirm email and after a steam restart, its still not in your library. Valve is a real bear to deal with in customer support and they got nutty anal if you have any billing issues (like delete your account if you have a couple chargebacks anal).

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:59.

50. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:40 Dev

And as usual, steam is having issues

Sorry
The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.
Error 503 Service Unavailable
XID: 1740698750

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:08:
Flo wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:48:
AAAAAND it's down.

It really is fucking ridiculous that year after year after year valve just fucking refuses to temporarily put some extra goddamned capacity in place.

Creston
I say this every year, and usually no one else says anything about it.
Its not just the big sales, its the big game releases.

protip: if the majority of your income depends on your storefront being up, your storefront should be #1 absolute priority to keep up. Things like redundant servers, load balancing, way more reserve bandwidth than needed.

The really really sad thing is, its not really bandwidth thats the problem.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/
None of the servers there are maxed. Which means its all front end issues. Just as its been every single other time I've checked.

Its not like valve doesn't have a ton of data points and info from past sales and how much each new sale has increased over the last one.

As a friend of mine said
"That would take 1:) Management direction and 2.) People who like to run a website. Neither of which Valve has."

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:48.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 11, 2013, 00:14 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 21:29:
Seems to be a trend with Ms. Announce shitty business decision, walk it back to something more reasonable. On paper people should be happy... In reality ms looks like an incompetent con man.
And if people don't object too much, probably keep the crappy decision.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 9, 2013, 01:46 Dev

LOL I didn't expect to see valve in the data breach report as one of the biggest breaches (in a particular category)  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 03:25 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 17:01:
On a side note, it's good to see Rogue Legacy doing well. Definitely deserves it.
Were you the one who got me hooked on that? Man I'm loving the upgrading mansion thing.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
33. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 03:23 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 23:49:
And what about these mysterious backers know one's knows about? Didn't he say he already had $10 million secured? If that's the case then the agreements have been signed and you don't just give back the money. He's never entirely clear on anything, it's all much more implied than expressed, and that more than anything is what makes me wary. It has that snake oil feel to it. You don't know what's in it but it's guaranteed to be everything to everyone!
See thats why I think the whole P2W/micropayments/MMO stuff is being pushed so hard, because thats all the rage right now in private funding. I think its because he's beholden to it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
14. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 14:50 Dev

nin wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 14:31:
El Pit wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 14:24:
If they can pull this off with such a small budget, the guys deserve to be praised. If not... Well, we'll see.

To be fair, I think they're up to like 13 million. Still small, compared to the big pubs, but about 3 times what they started with...

They picked up $3 million in like a week, during this "last chance to buy these $200 ships with lifetime insurance" sale.
How many of these "last chance now really mean it now" sales have they had at this point? lol

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free Weekend; Sale
9. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Weekend; Sale Jul 7, 2013, 05:32 Dev

Almost no one on my friends list has this on their wishlist, I think they all own the game  

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 3, 2013, 03:02 Dev

PHJF wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 22:53:
Don't like roguelikes. Permadeath thing kills it for me.

I am however enjoying the hell out of Rogue Legacy. Although it features more player deaths per capita than 99.9% of other games, there's still persistent progression.
OMG why did you tell me about that game?

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jul 3, 2013, 00:57 Dev

PHJF wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 22:53:
Don't like roguelikes. Permadeath thing kills it for me.

I am however enjoying the hell out of Rogue Legacy. Although it features more player deaths per capita than 99.9% of other games, there's still persistent progression.
As in most roguelike games, one can backup the save from FTL if one wishes

News Comments > Rise of the Triad This Month; Preorders Get Four Apogee Games
12. Re: Rise of the Triad This Month; Preorders Get Four Apogee Games Jul 2, 2013, 09:02 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 21:25:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 20:53:
Dev wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 20:52:
Protip apogee: You shoulda put your games on steam many many years ago to get some cashflow going.

QFT

All of the ones in that Throwback Pack are available on GOG already (I'm pretty sure Extreme RoTT is just the "Extra Levels" addon that GOG provides)...
GOG != Steam

News Comments > Rise of the Triad This Month; Preorders Get Four Apogee Games
2. Re: Rise of the Triad This Month; Preorders Get Four Apogee Games Jul 1, 2013, 20:52 Dev

Protip apogee: You shoulda put your games on steam many many years ago to get some cashflow going.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2013, 01:30 Dev

Skyrim still there  

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
51. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 21:58 Dev

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 20:06:
A good cheap joystick is the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. It's the one I've been using for years and it has yet to let me down.
12 buttons, a hat switch, and a throttle control at the base, and the standard joystick movement. Looks like a decent choice especially at $25.

At the $45 level, going by star level of amazon reviews, the "Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick" looks like a similar choice. It also has the capability to switch between button profiles with a "shift" type button, so its 12 buttons could be more like 24. As well it offers a detachable throttle
I think I used or owned something that looked like this many years ago. Its been so long since I used it (probably back in privater/wing commander days) that I don't recall anything about it lol.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
50. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 21:53 Dev

kanniballl wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 18:43:
A stupid concept in my opinion, but not a paid subscription for the game... like many Premium F2P games (DCUO, Champions Online, etc.).
Oh I know. However, the question isn't "what form are subs today" but rather, "will they offer subs for the game itself at some point before release?"
They had no subs at all until recently.

6696 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo