Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6693 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
33. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 22:07 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:33:
El Pit wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 15:14:
"...$4 Billion in its accounts, much of it kept in off-shore accounts..."

Yeah. Paying taxes is evil. Let the people pay taxes, not us multi-billion companies.
They did pay their taxes; they were taxed at where the item was sold in the first place. No one is dumb enough to pay taxes again, particularly when the entity trying to exert the second tax did nothing to provide for the sale being taxed.
Try reading up on the double irish with dutch sandwich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement
They never paid taxes the first time.
Essentially it uses IP to transfer profits outside of countries that have taxes, and transfer expenses to them instead.
Example:
Google chairman Eric Schmidt says it is Britain's own fault that his company has paid just £10 million in U.K. corporate taxes between 2006 and 2011, even though it had revenues of £11.9 billion in the period from the nation.

Apple does this too:
As it stands, the company paid cash taxes of $3.3 billion around the world on its reported profits of $34.2 billion last year, a tax rate of 9.8 percent. (Apple does not disclose what portion of those payments was in the United States, or what portion is assigned to previous or future years.)

By comparison, Wal-Mart last year paid worldwide cash taxes of $5.9 billion on its booked profits of $24.4 billion, a tax rate of 24 percent, which is about average for non-tech companies.
link
All the big tech companies with lots of IP do this. Its perfectly legal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Control IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up
12. Re: StarCraft IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 24, 2013, 21:49 Dev

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 13:52:
A Stardock employee said the following on the GOG.com forums:
Source links are appreciated
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 18:27:
Apparently I have never played Star Control, nor heard of it (not that I can recall anyways). And that makes me angry as watching a few vids makes it clear this is right up my alley. Wtf. Well now I know which game I'm playing next.
Easy enough, AND its free! (the ur-quan masters version). I highly recommend it in fact, since they are very faithful to the original games, and combine the best of both the PC and 3do, plus if you d/l all the remix music thats another great experience.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 24, 2013, 21:47 Dev

Self publishing? With MS already saying they will be less friendly to indie publishers with the xbone? Huh?  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 24, 2013, 21:44 Dev

Bleh, looks like steam's typical 10am release.

Also, yay! I'm excited to try this!

If you got this from the KS as I did, remember to enter in your "reward code" into the game to get your digital in game pledge rewards.
That and the steam game serial were sent to you in an email titled:
Here is your Shadowrun Returns Steam Key!

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
6. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 09:31 Dev

Poor Poor activisun, I feel so sorry for kotick.

NOT

He had the chance to read the writing on the wall and see when that part of the contract ended, and work on a buyout of the company (sorta like Dell is working on a buyout). But he didn't bother apparently.

News Comments > Star Control IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up
3. Re: StarCraft IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 24, 2013, 09:25 Dev

Yes, even though they share the same initials SC, there's a difference between the 2
Also, I should mention that I actually first found a mention of the post in the original link from the earlier blues story when they did an update to it. I prefer to read about and link to the original source though, especially since in this case the forum post is the complete thing, and one can see the discussion there.

I'm very glad that the open source UQM that is blessed by the original devs won't be affected. I wouldn't expect it to be normally, but who knows these days when trademarks/copyrights get involved.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
12. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:07:
That doesn't mean they have stopped doing it themselves as well Dev. As already said by someone below...plenty of other indie games get through without going through Greenlight.
No not yet, but I think they've been wanting it to At least for not yet on steam devs. Given that the text on their greenlight page says:
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/
Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:23:
Get enough positive exposure and Valve will see the opportunity for a business relationship.
Yes, but fun and interesting rank far higher as motivators for valve employees than profitable business relationships, or really just about anything.

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
19. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 24, 2013, 01:40 Dev

Blue,
found an update:
http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=5463.msg71121#msg71121
Hi guys!

Brad from Stardock here.

We have connected with Paul and Fred. Fingers crossed but things look hopeful. The copyright to Star Control 1/2 is owned by Paul Rieche directly, not Toys for Bob so I think there is reason to think that they might be able to participate in the creation of a new Star Control game.

None of this changes the status of the Ur-Quan Masters or Star Control on GOG.

Our core team involved at Stardock (myself included) have been huge fans of Paul's work since the Archon / Star Flight days.

By an XCOM like reboot we don't mean XCOM game mechanics but rather creating a new Star Control game that brings in the fun and game play we all know and love. The *campground* is looking *flavorful*.

18. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 24, 2013, 01:37 Dev

Gas Bandit wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 01:06:
I thought Star Control was already rebooted, and they called it Mass Effect.
Not quite the same thing.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
9. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 01:02 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 23:04:
The point of Greenlight was to offer some measure of exposure to Steam's userbase for anyone that tossed their hat in the ring.
Let's be clear here. As much as I like greenlight that was only a side benefit.
The purpose of it was to offload some of the not fun workload from valve employees.
Valve as much says so in their press release for greenlight.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8367/
ďMaking the call to publish or not publish a title isnít fun
[...]
we realized an opportunity to enlist the community's help as we review certain titles

Same thing that they did with portal 2. Ever notice those trailers for the editor that "jokingly" talked about making customers do all the work? Well it was jokingly said, but valve was serious about it.

I don't object to the end result though, more quality community work and participation.

1. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 23, 2013, 21:09 Dev

AWESOME!!!!!
I loved star control 2. 3 was kinda meh.
I loved the game itself, but also the 2 player on same keyboard combat mini game thing, my brother and I had tons of fun battling each other with that.

Also, if you have any love for star control, there's an open source remake (they even received some of the code from the 3do version from the original devs):
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

If you liked the music, they have that available as a separate download, most has been remixed in the last few years for the open source release, and most of the remixes were done by the original composers!
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
Its a great set of electronica type music, a wide variety of it. That was one of my favorite parts of the game, the original (and the redone) music.
There's .zip versions here, but I think the uqm version is just a renamed zip file
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/files/UQM%20Remix%20Packs/

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2013, 21:22.

News Comments > Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin
23. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 23, 2013, 00:59 Dev

Asmo wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 17:53:
I dunno, some of those estimate sights aren't recording time against games when I know that I've played em (Fallout 3 on mine says never played but I know that I put upwards of 100 hours in to it).
Valve didn't add time tracking for years after they released steam. I probably have 1000+ hours in TF2 (and another 1000+ in TFC), but it only says I have 85.
Even the internal time tracking stats differentiated per class in TF2 is more accurate than the steam time tracking.
Krovven wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 12:57:
Dev wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 09:29:
Steam isn't that great about removing items from it as you buy them.

It doesn't remove them if you are manually entering keys purchased from another site. Seems to only work if you are purchasing directly from within the Steam Client.
Or if you buy a gold/goty version when you wishlisted the normal version, even though steam converted all normal versions into gold versions.
There's other cases too. And most of the already owned items I had on my list were purchased INSIDE of steam. So much so that I had over 10% of my wishlist (over 30 items) as already purchased. This plugin had no problem determining that, apparently steam did.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2013, 01:06.

4. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 22, 2013, 09:48 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 09:41:
Someone posted that link about how much time you spend and how much money you spent? I was correct on the nuts. Steam says I have spent (for real) half of what that other program says I have spent.

$2131.22
Total Spent:

Historical price is probably the best feature - saves me time going to steamprices.com
Also it wouldn't be able to count things like amazon and GMG, so it might be more like $2500 depending on how heavy you hit non steam sites.

Here's some of the account calculation sites:
mysteamgauge.com (I think this is my favorite so far)
http://steamometer.com/
http://www.steamcalculator.com/
http://wastedonsteam.com/

2. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 22, 2013, 09:29 Dev

I'm going to be buying only on the browser now pretty much. Since 50 introduced me to it.

Its also helped me clean up my wishlist, seeing the over 30 (over 10%) of items that I already own. And thats after I tried to clean it up from last sale. Steam isn't that great about removing items from it as you buy them.

Protip Valve: implement most of these IMMEDIATELY

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 22, 2013, 00:58 Dev

Lorcin wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 22:07:
Anyone else notice the Borderlands 2 Season Pass is still only 33% off - was 66% earlier in the sale!
It might be an accident, cheaper to get the individual DLCs than the pass now.
They've had the outfits on 33% at first, then 66%.
Mistake or on purpose who knows. And could be publisher mistake or valve mistake, I'd believe either one.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 21:51 Dev

Dev wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 18:26:
fiftykyu wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 17:26:
Have you taken a look at the Chrome/Firefox addon "Enhanced Steam" from http://www.enhancedsteam.com/ ? It's a huge help for these situations.
Uhm, WOW. And thanks!
For that, you deserve something on your wishlist... lemme see whats here...

WAIT WAIT WAIT! Could it be that someone on blues doesn't have snuggle truck yet and actually has it on their wishlist??!? ZOMG! You must have that NAO!

Also, bats, you don't have it EITHER despite having it on your wishlist!?!?!? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!

25. Re: My Steam Profile's Statistics Jul 21, 2013, 21:47 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 21:00:
Says I have spent something like 4200 bucks. Which I gurantee you it is about half that. I have a seperate email for my Steam account, so I have every email with every price, on top of that info being in your transaction history. I could easily export it.
It has a bookmarklet to total up your transaction history from the steam page:
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/receipt

I haven't tried it yet.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 19:45 Dev

One great part is I can use this extension to help clean up my wishlist. Previously I didn't know which games I already owned, but I would remove one occasionally when I was sure. This highlights them in green.
Good ole valve doesn't always remove games from wishlist when you buy them. I had about 30 (over 10%) on my wishlist I already owned. I'm in the process right now of removing them.
J wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 19:36:
Dev wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 18:26:
See how much you've spent on your Steam account
I suspect that feature may give some people a heart attack! If everybody donates we can get Prez a cybernetic heart that may be able to withstand the shock.
I've checked that before
I haven't seen it come up with this extension yet, but here's an example of some of the webpages:
http://steamometer.com/
"
Total Items 941
Estimated Value $9772.49
Hours Played 3195.0
Games Played 227
Games Unplayed 584
"

http://mysteamgauge.com/
"Over the last 9 years, you've spent 3195 hours playing this selection, which includes 941 items, is valued at $10550.95, and requires 2291.54 GB"

I'm not sure the hours is accurate, I'd guess more like 2k, but there's some of my stats.

I like how on the 2nd link it tells you how much hdd you need to install everything. Looks like if I get a 4tb hdd, I can install EVERY SINGLE STEAM GAME I OWN.

Edit:
Prez's account
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/
"Over the last 9 years, you've spent 4726.6 hours playing this selection, which includes 1034 items, is valued at $12199.13, and requires 3118.11 GB"

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2013, 20:33.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 18:26 Dev

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 17:26:
Dev wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 15:37:
Another thing, I wish steam made it easier to tell if you own all DLC for a game or are missing some. Like with all that new BL2 dlc, it gets very tedious to have to add all DLC to cart to see which I already have, then remove one at a time (WTF is my remove all from cart button valve?). And then there's the DLC that doesn't say previously owned, until you go to buy it, then it says at the last step "oh yeah you already own this suckah".
What I'd like is a little note next to each DLC on the main game store page with the list that says "owned" or some such. Then I could immediately see which I'm missing and if its on sale.

Maybe valve will hire a GUI expert sometime who thinks its fun and interesting to work on the steam GUI, rather than wheeling his desk over to work on something like TF2 just for the huge bonuses that amount to more than their salary (I don't know specifically what games offer those bonuses, but given the amount of stuff that comes out of TF2 that would be my guess).

Have you taken a look at the Chrome/Firefox addon "Enhanced Steam" from http://www.enhancedsteam.com/ ? It's a huge help for these situations.
Uhm, WOW. And thanks!
The only downside is its only for the web browser, not steam itself. Although I've found myself more and more doing steam purchases store stuff inside the browser simply because of tabs.

Protip valve: implement all those things IMMEDIATELY into the steam browser!

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/features.php

Features
Highlights the games and downloadable content you already own
Highlights games on your wishlist
Points out 3rd party DRM on games
Adds DLC categories to the product page
Finds out how much you really save on a bundle
See pricing history for each game
See how much you've spent on your Steam account
Fixes the "No Image Available" images on your wishlist
Displays Metacritic user scores
Gives you widescreen support information from WSGF
Adds an "Add to Cart" button on your wishlist items
Adds an "Empty Cart" button to checkout
Enhances the Steam Community pages
User-controlled options page lets you decide which features to enable
Replaces the Steam Greenlight banner.
Now I doubt that valve would want to do pricing history, and I don't know what the greenlight banner thing means, but most of the rest of those should be easily implementable by valve.

I'm not terribly picky about 3rd party DRM as long as its not too nutso, but its great to more easily know which games I'm looking at have extra layered unneeded crap in them.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2013, 18:36.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 16:29 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 15:45:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 15:28:
So for anyone who bought the Sega Genesis Mega Pack like I did earlier this month for 4.99, the 5th pack in Steam is on sale for 3.75, so you can now link all the games into Steam (it is just en emulator).

cheers!

Yeah I noticed that when I got the pack from Amazon and it all installed in the same folder, showing up in the parent program... Pretty sweet setup.
Thanks for the headsup, yeah I had them all except #5

6693 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo