Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6704 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 27, 2013, 00:57 Dev

Also a giant stack of GMG titles on sale.
http://blog.playfire.com/
A special 75% off square enix sale

examples:
Dungeon Siege III $3.75, Kane & Lynch Pack $4.25, Legacy of Kain Games $1.75, Deus Ex GOTY Edition $1.75

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns
59. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 27, 2013, 00:48 Dev

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 22:47:
Dev wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 21:04:
Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 17:50:
I like it so far, but I really wish you'd started off more powerful than you do. A phys-adept is basically useless at the start, which isn't really how it worked in the PnP game (where they were fucking monsters.)

Perhaps I just haven't figured my guy out yet, but so far my companions are the ones doing all the killing, as my guy just spends his time trying to run up to someone, only to then do a staggering 5 damage.

Creston
You just need to get some of the chi powers, specifically the killing hands chi thing for the adept. It's one of the first things, and it adds +10 to damage, so it makes your character (even at the start) do about 15 damage per punch. I love doing way more than my gun toting guys.

Damn, i went mage and I have nothing that touches 15 dmg a shot.
Well the downside is since its unarmed, you have to get right up in their face. But its quite satisfying to punch a guy out

57. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 21:04 Dev

Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 17:50:
I like it so far, but I really wish you'd started off more powerful than you do. A phys-adept is basically useless at the start, which isn't really how it worked in the PnP game (where they were fucking monsters.)

Perhaps I just haven't figured my guy out yet, but so far my companions are the ones doing all the killing, as my guy just spends his time trying to run up to someone, only to then do a staggering 5 damage.

Creston
You just need to get some of the chi powers, specifically the killing hands chi thing for the adept. It's one of the first things, and it adds +10 to damage, so it makes your character (even at the start) do about 15 damage per punch. I love doing way more than my gun toting guys.

55. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 21:02 Dev

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 18:22:
Rea1One wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:27:
I was a kickstarter backer because I really enjoyed Shadowrun on Snes and Sega. This game is fairly ok but to be honest doesn't feel like a $1.8 million game at all and feels more like some flash or web based game with some elements borrowed from XCOM Enemy Unknown. Well at least it's better than Shadowrun (2007).

1.4 million after Kickstarter took their share. Plus, there's all the physical swag that's yet to be mailed out (t-shirts, docwagon cards, ect...) and I'm sure that probably cost a cool 100k or so too. So really, 1.3 million to make the game, build all the assets, beta test the damn thing (I haven't really ran into any bugs... typos? Yeah, but not bugs), then polish and publish the editor, along with all the support documentation...

You're judging the entire product by the introduction mission. 75% of this product is the ability to make new stuff.
$100k for physical swag? Thats probably low.
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/
$500k out of $3 mil is what the double fine project is going to spend for physical rewards, thats more like 17%. And I've heard of software projects where 30% or more had to be spend for physical rewards.

40. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 09:17 Dev

So far I'm enjoying the game. There are sidequests in the game, so its not 100% linear. Yes you can't go clicking on everything, but I'm thinking that will improve in modded campaigns

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 01:10:
Honestly, they should have utilized the DLC money for the game first. That was definitely getting ahead of themselves and stretching things to thin. As always get something that's finished and good out the door first, then you go from there.
Likely they did. I don't recall it being a discrete "DLC" option in the KS, it was just a free included option as a stretch goal. I think they may well have done it that way in order to add more content, but have it come out as a discrete chunk after the game release, so it wouldn't extend the development time and money needed too much. I don't know if it was planned that way from the beginning, but its not a bad idea in terms of getting something out the door.
Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 01:30:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 01:22:
Dev wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 23:56:
It has inventory, what it doesn't have is looting corpses.

Steam Workshop already has a mod for lootable corpses.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153541586

Awesome!
Note that that is a mod for future campaigns.
I can't recall if the included campaign is supposed to be editable or not (I'm thinking it is, but not sure), so someone would have to mod the included campaign to include that. And it would have to be rebalanced as well, since its balanced to work without lootable corpses currently.

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 25, 2013, 23:56 Dev

saluk wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 23:37:
D4rkKnight wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 21:06:
This game has no inventory? How does acquiring weapons work? No inventory sounds pretty boring.

There is inventory, as far as I can tell. I'm not far but I keep picking up medkits, and just got handed a pistol.

The game was rushed to meet the deadline and it shows. We complain when the devs ask for more money and delay to make the game that they really want to (broken age) and then we also complain when the devs hit the target and the game isn't quite as good as we'd like.

Sigh.

I'm enjoying it, but so far I really was expecting a much more alive feeling world. The snes game is much better in this regard, with numerous areas you travel around in a non-linear fashion. Here, again I'm not far, but it seems like each section is very heavily scripted out, you go through it, and then you move on to the next.

Minor gripes overall. Shadowrun is back chummers!
It has inventory, what it doesn't have is looting corpses.

As long as they made a good framework for campaigns, I think the community will step up and offer much more alive feeling worlds, that are more non linear.

Plus, maybe once the income from this game starts rolling in, they will be able to flesh out the expansion city (free to kickstarter backers) to a bigger extent.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
30. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 20:26 Dev

Xil wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 11:57:
worst few for me would be "empty world, exploring it has no benefits. Big bugs". Exploring is such a big part of these games, should be rewarded
That would be up to the campaign authors. Maybe it will be better with the expansion city campaign thats coming up (free for kickstarter pledges)

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 25, 2013, 20:24 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 19:58:
Overon wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 19:46:
What's with the terrible checkpoint based save system in an RPG game? Come on.

Either a horrible design flaw or they want you to have to live with the choices you make rather than quicksave/quickload until you get the outcome you desire.
The mod/campaign authors will be able to place checkpoints as they like I'm sure. But it would be nice for them to implement a quicksave, one that can be enabled/disabled according to a campaign setting that the author sets.

News Comments > Star Control IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up
17. Re: StarCraft IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 25, 2013, 09:14 Dev

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 05:30:

Here you go.

Thanks, I looked for it in star control section and couldn't find it. It was in the atari auction thread lol.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
21. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 09:12 Dev

InBlack wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 05:59:
According to the review, its worrisome that the game awards only the 'correct' way to solve missions, quests. This is apparently because the campaign is more of an adventure campaign and not a fully fleshed out RPG campaign with multiple solutions to quests. So we have 'karma' instead of experience and the only way to earn karma is by helping out, there is no place for neutral or 'evil' player characters. This is a shame.
I imagine the campaign authors could program in alternate solutions.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
15. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 25, 2013, 00:47 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 19:22:
Dev wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:19:
Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:07:
That doesn't mean they have stopped doing it themselves as well Dev. As already said by someone below...plenty of other indie games get through without going through Greenlight.
No not yet, but I think they've been wanting it to At least for not yet on steam devs. Given that the text on their greenlight page says:
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/
Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:23:
Get enough positive exposure and Valve will see the opportunity for a business relationship.
Yes, but fun and interesting rank far higher as motivators for valve employees than profitable business relationships, or really just about anything.

That means nothing when they are still publishing games without going through Greenlight. I'm sure there are plenty of factors involved. Have the devs self published on Steam before? Has the Publisher published on Steam before? How did those games do? Were the pubs/devs a pain in the ass to deal with?

My understanding as a dev/pub, is once you are in, you have a web portal to manage everything with Steam. Would seem kind of silly to tell those people they can't publish their next game using the tools they already have access to.

Plucking FAQ entries doesn't tell us the whole story. And to my knowledge no existing Publishers have had to put their games through Greenlight.

The key words in that quote I did from the FAQ is "NEW TO STEAM"

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
33. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 22:07 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:33:
El Pit wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 15:14:
"...$4 Billion in its accounts, much of it kept in off-shore accounts..."

Yeah. Paying taxes is evil. Let the people pay taxes, not us multi-billion companies.
They did pay their taxes; they were taxed at where the item was sold in the first place. No one is dumb enough to pay taxes again, particularly when the entity trying to exert the second tax did nothing to provide for the sale being taxed.
Try reading up on the double irish with dutch sandwich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement
They never paid taxes the first time.
Essentially it uses IP to transfer profits outside of countries that have taxes, and transfer expenses to them instead.
Example:
Google chairman Eric Schmidt says it is Britain's own fault that his company has paid just 10 million in U.K. corporate taxes between 2006 and 2011, even though it had revenues of 11.9 billion in the period from the nation.

Apple does this too:
As it stands, the company paid cash taxes of $3.3 billion around the world on its reported profits of $34.2 billion last year, a tax rate of 9.8 percent. (Apple does not disclose what portion of those payments was in the United States, or what portion is assigned to previous or future years.)

By comparison, Wal-Mart last year paid worldwide cash taxes of $5.9 billion on its booked profits of $24.4 billion, a tax rate of 24 percent, which is about average for non-tech companies.
link
All the big tech companies with lots of IP do this. Its perfectly legal.

12. Re: StarCraft IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 24, 2013, 21:49 Dev

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 13:52:
A Stardock employee said the following on the GOG.com forums:
Source links are appreciated
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 18:27:
Apparently I have never played Star Control, nor heard of it (not that I can recall anyways). And that makes me angry as watching a few vids makes it clear this is right up my alley. Wtf. Well now I know which game I'm playing next.
Easy enough, AND its free! (the ur-quan masters version). I highly recommend it in fact, since they are very faithful to the original games, and combine the best of both the PC and 3do, plus if you d/l all the remix music thats another great experience.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 24, 2013, 21:47 Dev

Self publishing? With MS already saying they will be less friendly to indie publishers with the xbone? Huh?  

5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 24, 2013, 21:44 Dev

Bleh, looks like steam's typical 10am release.

Also, yay! I'm excited to try this!

If you got this from the KS as I did, remember to enter in your "reward code" into the game to get your digital in game pledge rewards.
That and the steam game serial were sent to you in an email titled:
Here is your Shadowrun Returns Steam Key!

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
6. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 09:31 Dev

Poor Poor activisun, I feel so sorry for kotick.

NOT

He had the chance to read the writing on the wall and see when that part of the contract ended, and work on a buyout of the company (sorta like Dell is working on a buyout). But he didn't bother apparently.

3. Re: StarCraft IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 24, 2013, 09:25 Dev

Yes, even though they share the same initials SC, there's a difference between the 2
Also, I should mention that I actually first found a mention of the post in the original link from the earlier blues story when they did an update to it. I prefer to read about and link to the original source though, especially since in this case the forum post is the complete thing, and one can see the discussion there.

I'm very glad that the open source UQM that is blessed by the original devs won't be affected. I wouldn't expect it to be normally, but who knows these days when trademarks/copyrights get involved.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
12. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:07:
That doesn't mean they have stopped doing it themselves as well Dev. As already said by someone below...plenty of other indie games get through without going through Greenlight.
No not yet, but I think they've been wanting it to At least for not yet on steam devs. Given that the text on their greenlight page says:
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/
Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:23:
Get enough positive exposure and Valve will see the opportunity for a business relationship.
Yes, but fun and interesting rank far higher as motivators for valve employees than profitable business relationships, or really just about anything.

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
19. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 24, 2013, 01:40 Dev

Blue,
found an update:
http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=5463.msg71121#msg71121
Hi guys!

Brad from Stardock here.

We have connected with Paul and Fred. Fingers crossed but things look hopeful. The copyright to Star Control 1/2 is owned by Paul Rieche directly, not Toys for Bob so I think there is reason to think that they might be able to participate in the creation of a new Star Control game.

None of this changes the status of the Ur-Quan Masters or Star Control on GOG.

Our core team involved at Stardock (myself included) have been huge fans of Paul's work since the Archon / Star Flight days.

By an XCOM like reboot we don't mean XCOM game mechanics but rather creating a new Star Control game that brings in the fun and game play we all know and love. The *campground* is looking *flavorful*.

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
18. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 24, 2013, 01:37 Dev

Gas Bandit wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 01:06:
I thought Star Control was already rebooted, and they called it Mass Effect.
Not quite the same thing.

6704 Comments. 336 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo