Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6696 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
41. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 09:41 Dev

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:09:
And I'll add this part for everyone to read, you need to watch till after the end credits finish. There's a little bit more to the game that you missed if not..

Yeah, that's kind of a critical part...

Thanks. Also thanks for using spoiler tags everyone. I haven't finished it yet

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
27. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 17:27 Dev

About time, I was starting to be concerned that my season pass wasn't going to get me anything at all.
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 16:53:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:37:
As crappy as this DLC might seem, just remember... It's better than multiplayer map packs! (BioShock 2)

Will it be already on the disc though?
Its downloading 5 gigs right now for me on steam, so I'd say no.

Plus, why would they have waited so long to put it out and start cashing in on the DLC money if it was done and on the disk?

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2013, 18:28.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
42. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 21:41 Dev

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 19:51:
This industry was much healthier when there was a thick wall of separation between the creators and the consumers.
I don't think so. The crowdfunding, the rise of the indie games, the popularity of digital distribution for PC titles, all of it is good things for the PC gaming industry.

If putting up with a few douchebags is one of the main negatives of the health of the industry, that certainly doesn't make it unique

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
13. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 16:35 Dev

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 16:28:
This sucks, I really liked Fez alot, and the cancellation of the sequel is a huge bummer. Hopefully he will sell the rights or something.
When a person like this leaves in a huff in this fashion, he's not about to sell the rights. Usually its done in a kinda "I can't take this anymore, you drove me to this and you guys can't have this so now, see what you did, and feel bad about what you are missing out on"
Selling the rights would be looked on by such a person as letting the "intarweb" win.

So its not going to happen, not unless someone offers a crapton of money, and I don't think it made that much.

Edit: Or of course if the original guy apologized, and begged for forgiveness, and a bunch of the critics of the "kill yourself" quote abased themselves and apologized and begged for the game back.
That's basically what this kinda person is looking for to happen.

Note: This is all opinion, I don't know any of the parties involved, and mostly generalizing based on things I've seen before. Also, more specifically, the things I've seen about this guy don't motivate my opinions to be nice.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2013, 16:42.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 22:11 Dev

DangerDog wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 20:05:
How would they push this update? Is the CPU actually programmable to this extent? Would microsoft have to do this through windows?
The article author is ignorant on that.

Usually something like this just gets updated on the next revision of the CPU. Its not usually updated software wise. So get the Haswell CPU now and it should overclock fine on non z87 mobos for as long as you own it.

(note that the BIOS updates that mention microcode are to SUPPORT those versions of the microcode, not to actually update it themselves).

News Comments > Space Hulk Preorders
12. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 27, 2013, 22:07 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 21:40:
A train wreck? I like cooperative play a lot a lot, but in a turn-based strategy game it's pretty minor to me. I really can't imagine it being a dealbreaker for a lot of people.
See below

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 18:56 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 18:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 17:52:
I didn't know overclocking was even that big of a deal anymore. I can't remember the last time a game maxed out anything on my computer.

This.

I had an overclocked Core 2 Duo E8600 and an overclocked 8800GTX (both liquid cooled) up until January of this year. Now, I have a stock clocked Core I5 3570k, and a stock clocked GTX680 (both air cooled). So far, I haven't come across anything it can't play at max settings @ 1920x1080.
Because
a) Modern CPU's are way overpowered for most things people do including the majority of games.
b) Most games are more GPU bound, not CPU.
c) Big graphics games are often ported games, and ported console games since they are programmed for the lowest common denominator (and yes I know they often have some PC extras but those extras often aren't terribly demanding), often don't max things out anyway.

A $500 rig nowadays can run the vast majority of games at 1080p.

News Comments > Space Hulk Preorders
5. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 27, 2013, 18:50 Dev

Ghakis wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 17:19:
From Gamasutra on July 23:

Full Control will also be discussing plans for co-op player mode as well as the upcoming Level Editor at Gamescom. These features will be added to the game in a future patch.

Here's the link

I have no idea about this particular company, but I become cautious about a game when it promises to add features after release. Oftentimes the company has to move most of the team on to another game by that time.
Quick recent example, duke 3d re-release. It promised steamworks multiplayer in a patch. That would be awesome, to play that again with some of my old friends. But its still not been released yet.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 14:49 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 13:16:
If I were to get a Haswell, I'd get a Z87 chipset anyways, but still that really sucks. That's what happens when you have no competition in the marketplace.
Intel has been pulling that kinda thing for a long time, AMD has too. Even when AMD beat intel to the 1ghz launch and they were a good competitor then, both of them were still pulling this crap.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 14:23 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 11:46:
That said it is still a huge bump in ram for the consoles overall, it looks like just having 8 gigs on a pc will cover console port needs.
Actually sounds like 4gb would

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 11:42 Dev

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 11:23:
Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 01:41:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:06:
Really guys? 3.5GB, and here your modern PC OS takes under 1.7GB on average with a normal installation.
Since when? Try 10 times that for most modern windows installs.

Go home, Dev. You're drunk.

Seriously, though, I'm guessing you misread the comment that you responded to. My Win8 install is taking 1.8GB right now. If it required 17GB then my computer wouldn't even boot.
I was thinking hdd, not RAM. Even though the headline says RAM. Probably because 3.5gb sounds high for OS ram usage.
Although in my defense, the comment I quoted doesn't mention, and talks about "installation"

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 01:41 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:06:
Really guys? 3.5GB, and here your modern PC OS takes under 1.7GB on average with a normal installation.
Since when? Try 10 times that for most modern windows installs.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 27, 2013, 00:57 Dev

Also a giant stack of GMG titles on sale.
http://blog.playfire.com/
A special 75% off square enix sale

examples:
Dungeon Siege III $3.75, Kane & Lynch Pack $4.25, Legacy of Kain Games $1.75, Deus Ex GOTY Edition $1.75

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns
59. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 27, 2013, 00:48 Dev

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 22:47:
Dev wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 21:04:
Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 17:50:
I like it so far, but I really wish you'd started off more powerful than you do. A phys-adept is basically useless at the start, which isn't really how it worked in the PnP game (where they were fucking monsters.)

Perhaps I just haven't figured my guy out yet, but so far my companions are the ones doing all the killing, as my guy just spends his time trying to run up to someone, only to then do a staggering 5 damage.

Creston
You just need to get some of the chi powers, specifically the killing hands chi thing for the adept. It's one of the first things, and it adds +10 to damage, so it makes your character (even at the start) do about 15 damage per punch. I love doing way more than my gun toting guys.

Damn, i went mage and I have nothing that touches 15 dmg a shot.
Well the downside is since its unarmed, you have to get right up in their face. But its quite satisfying to punch a guy out

57. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 21:04 Dev

Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 17:50:
I like it so far, but I really wish you'd started off more powerful than you do. A phys-adept is basically useless at the start, which isn't really how it worked in the PnP game (where they were fucking monsters.)

Perhaps I just haven't figured my guy out yet, but so far my companions are the ones doing all the killing, as my guy just spends his time trying to run up to someone, only to then do a staggering 5 damage.

Creston
You just need to get some of the chi powers, specifically the killing hands chi thing for the adept. It's one of the first things, and it adds +10 to damage, so it makes your character (even at the start) do about 15 damage per punch. I love doing way more than my gun toting guys.

55. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 21:02 Dev

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 18:22:
Rea1One wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:27:
I was a kickstarter backer because I really enjoyed Shadowrun on Snes and Sega. This game is fairly ok but to be honest doesn't feel like a $1.8 million game at all and feels more like some flash or web based game with some elements borrowed from XCOM Enemy Unknown. Well at least it's better than Shadowrun (2007).

1.4 million after Kickstarter took their share. Plus, there's all the physical swag that's yet to be mailed out (t-shirts, docwagon cards, ect...) and I'm sure that probably cost a cool 100k or so too. So really, 1.3 million to make the game, build all the assets, beta test the damn thing (I haven't really ran into any bugs... typos? Yeah, but not bugs), then polish and publish the editor, along with all the support documentation...

You're judging the entire product by the introduction mission. 75% of this product is the ability to make new stuff.
$100k for physical swag? Thats probably low.
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/
$500k out of $3 mil is what the double fine project is going to spend for physical rewards, thats more like 17%. And I've heard of software projects where 30% or more had to be spend for physical rewards.

40. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 09:17 Dev

So far I'm enjoying the game. There are sidequests in the game, so its not 100% linear. Yes you can't go clicking on everything, but I'm thinking that will improve in modded campaigns

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 01:10:
Honestly, they should have utilized the DLC money for the game first. That was definitely getting ahead of themselves and stretching things to thin. As always get something that's finished and good out the door first, then you go from there.
Likely they did. I don't recall it being a discrete "DLC" option in the KS, it was just a free included option as a stretch goal. I think they may well have done it that way in order to add more content, but have it come out as a discrete chunk after the game release, so it wouldn't extend the development time and money needed too much. I don't know if it was planned that way from the beginning, but its not a bad idea in terms of getting something out the door.
Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 01:30:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 01:22:
Dev wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 23:56:
It has inventory, what it doesn't have is looting corpses.

Steam Workshop already has a mod for lootable corpses.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153541586

Awesome!
Note that that is a mod for future campaigns.
I can't recall if the included campaign is supposed to be editable or not (I'm thinking it is, but not sure), so someone would have to mod the included campaign to include that. And it would have to be rebalanced as well, since its balanced to work without lootable corpses currently.

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 25, 2013, 23:56 Dev

saluk wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 23:37:
D4rkKnight wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 21:06:
This game has no inventory? How does acquiring weapons work? No inventory sounds pretty boring.

There is inventory, as far as I can tell. I'm not far but I keep picking up medkits, and just got handed a pistol.

The game was rushed to meet the deadline and it shows. We complain when the devs ask for more money and delay to make the game that they really want to (broken age) and then we also complain when the devs hit the target and the game isn't quite as good as we'd like.

Sigh.

I'm enjoying it, but so far I really was expecting a much more alive feeling world. The snes game is much better in this regard, with numerous areas you travel around in a non-linear fashion. Here, again I'm not far, but it seems like each section is very heavily scripted out, you go through it, and then you move on to the next.

Minor gripes overall. Shadowrun is back chummers!
It has inventory, what it doesn't have is looting corpses.

As long as they made a good framework for campaigns, I think the community will step up and offer much more alive feeling worlds, that are more non linear.

Plus, maybe once the income from this game starts rolling in, they will be able to flesh out the expansion city (free to kickstarter backers) to a bigger extent.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
30. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 20:26 Dev

Xil wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 11:57:
worst few for me would be "empty world, exploring it has no benefits. Big bugs". Exploring is such a big part of these games, should be rewarded
That would be up to the campaign authors. Maybe it will be better with the expansion city campaign thats coming up (free for kickstarter pledges)

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 25, 2013, 20:24 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 19:58:
Overon wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 19:46:
What's with the terrible checkpoint based save system in an RPG game? Come on.

Either a horrible design flaw or they want you to have to live with the choices you make rather than quicksave/quickload until you get the outcome you desire.
The mod/campaign authors will be able to place checkpoints as they like I'm sure. But it would be nice for them to implement a quicksave, one that can be enabled/disabled according to a campaign setting that the author sets.

6696 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo