Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Trade Offers Launch
3. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 09:50 Dev

Valve,
Please tell me that random people who are NOT my friends can't send me trade requests. Because I get enough friends invites from people who are only wanting my Bill's hat already.
RaZ0r! wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 09:44:
Tim wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 09:28:
I want to trade games, or give them away to friends when I no longer need them.

Please?

Unfortunately that is up to the publishers, not Valve or Steam. Also, Valve allowing game trading is probably not really in their best interest either. With AAA games going as cheap as two bucks on sale nowadays I'm not sure they are worth trading.
And there's another twist too, the whole germany thing and used games. Who knows whats going to happen there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
35. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 5, 2013, 00:18 Dev

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 21:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:49:
This has nothing at all to do with Homeworld.

Thank you. So disappointed.
Though I have not looked into it, I think he was referring to the fraud stuff.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2013, 00:09 Dev

I've also purchased from them.

Protip: This is a GREAT site:
http://isthereanydeal.com/
It can tell you or email you when things go on sale an its incredibly configurable. For instance, you could have it notify you only when origin stuff goes on sale, or only when steam stuff goes on sale from GMG (since they often have better deals than steam nowadays), or only notify you when a new best ever lowest price happens. You can import your steam wishlist, or manually build a wishlist. It can email notify you on a frequency you choose, I have it set once a day, but it can be set to instantly or whatever.
It can notify you about bundles too, I found out about bundles I didn't even know existed, such as the bundle stars stuff.

I LOVE THIS THING.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2013, 00:44 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 09:06:
Am I missing something? Vault Hunter Pack 2 is out for Borderlands 2 today, but it isn't anywhere to be bought?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224180/

News Comments > Gearbox Livestream Subscription Plus Bonuses
21. Re: Gearbox Livestream Subscription Plus Bonuses Sep 4, 2013, 00:42 Dev

Tim Collins wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 14:51:
What is this some test scenario to see how far gamers will bend over :-P
Thats called "star citizen"

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Kickstarted
3. Re: Mighty No. 9 Kickstarted Sep 4, 2013, 00:37 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 23:28:
nin wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 20:58:
I'm still a little surprised (yet excited) it's doing so well...two stretch goals are already down, and it's still trucking along.
It'll slow down after $1.5M as the initial campaign pop wanes, but I fully expect they'll hit $2.5M (or more) by the end.
I dunno, they haven't added physical copies yet which a lot of people are begging for in the comments (people are offering to pay $75 and up for one). And they say they will do stretch goals on PS4/xbone and/or PSP/DS if they get enough interest.
If they hit enough widespread interest I could see it getting $5m or $10m. And did you see all the cool fan art that is already on the updates? LOTS of people are interested in this.
Here's a link to one of the updates with lots of fan art:
[url=]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/588461[/url]

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
48. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 17:03 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:29:
Why doesn't everyone play on free private WoW servers?
That would be because last time a bunch of people tried, Blizzard sued them for breaking the ToS that forbids that and got close to a $100 million judgement.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
4. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 16:58 Dev

Taskeen wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:43:
And why is Gearbox gobbling up all these IP's.
They bought Homeworld at the THQ auction, hardly gobbling. This company wanted to make a rethemed homeworld clone, and now they've made a deal with gearbox to make the actual thing.

40. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 13:39 Dev

gray wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 08:53:
Chris Roberts has always said at $20m it would be completely crowd funded and he would prefer to go this route as to not be beholden to private investors.
By then it will be too late to change all this MMO, P2W stuff. I'm convinced this heavy focus on all that was initially coerced by the funding source, since things like F2P and P2W are hot in private funding right now.

News Comments > On Sale
21. Re: On Sale Sep 1, 2013, 17:11 Dev

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:32:
Taskeen wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 07:55:

I wish Gearbox had never acquired the Duke Nukem or Aliens license period.

And just think we still haven't seen how they will rape the Homeworld license!
Oh crap, I'd forgotten about that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 16:32 Dev

Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:35:
I like the idea behind "You Need a Budget" (so far as I understand it). I probably could have used accounting software designed specifically for people living barely above hand-to-mouth when I was younger. All of my actual "accounting" could probably have been taken care of on a 10 line spreadsheet, so I just kept it in my head. It worked out in the end, but I was at any given time and at best a couple unexpected thousand dollars away from being completely screwed.
One of the nice things about YNAB is you just start using it. It tells you not to worry about digging up all those past expenses. Just run it and start on that day. After you go a month, it will have a good outlook on what your finances are like, and you will have a better grasp on things as time goes on. I mean it will let you put in your car insurance from 3 months ago, but its much less intimidating if you just start it from TODAY. So its not a huge amount of work. Its just you putting in today's bills.
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 08:03:
When they push the envelope this far just because they can, THQ deserves all the crap they get about this game.
If parents don't want their kids playing stuff with mature content (and they have every right to have the choice to not want that), maybe they shouldn't buy them games marked with M on the cover?
Some people like games like GTA or SR, whats wrong with letting those people play them? If YOU PERSONALLY don't want to play it, hey more power to you.

They had 1 million sales in first week (triple the SR3 numbers) so its not like there's zero demand for this kinda thing.

Protip: THQ is gone and dead. Bankrupt. Deep Silver bought the IP at auction, and they are the ones who released SR4.
I dunno if your hate for this game is from a general hate of THQ or not, but if so, they are dead. You can celebrate now.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 16:43.

News Comments > Mega Man-Inspired Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter
7. Re: Mega Man-Inspired Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter Sep 1, 2013, 16:11 Dev

Lots more than just Keiji Inafune project lead (who has been involved with 30 megamans, including all the main series ones, going all the way back to the original). There's a level designer, an artist, a musician, etc all involved in past megaman games.

This KS is definitely going on my short list.

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 15:13:
I guess console owners won't cough up money for Kickstarters though, or at least not enough.
I'm guessing its more of licensing issues. Like would MS/sony let a game on a console that was kickstarted? I'm guessing not before it was finished or a publishing deal signed. And even if I was a console fan, I sure as heck wouldn't fund a console KS that didn't have commitments up front on the KS page that they had all the agreements signed to get it onto the console. Otherwise it would be more of a "yes fund us please, and after its done we will see if MS/sony will give us the ok to get on the console, and if not, too bad we will have spent all your money"

Note: I'm referring to console games in general on KS.
This specific megaman-esque game is for PC's and its already half way to its goal.

17. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 16:04 Dev

And don't worry, those space stations will be up for sale before release too. Only $5000 each!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
62. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 16:03 Dev

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 12:24:
The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable. If EA opened up DLC sales 18 months before their next Call of Duty game there'd be rioting on these boards and it'd be 60 pages claiming EA is the devil.
Don't worry, EA will be next
They are watching this example closely, don't worry. If this succeeds, EA will start doing stuff like this. If they offered a "discount" on the virtual goods before a game was released, a bunch of people would get it. Blizzard could probably easily get away with something similar. Their next MMO game, before release if they sold mounts or whatever, they'd sell a ton.

60. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 13:45 Dev

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 00:20:
Dev wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 15:15:
Just because they offer in game ways of getting the stuff, doesn't mean its not a P2W.

I keep seeing this sentiment more and more, and it's complete nonsense. It seems to me that there are some people so hell-bent on denouncing anything free-to-play as "pay-to-win" that they've gone so far as to redefine "pay-to-win" to include the ability to pay real money for things you could get without real money.

That's just dumb. I pity the people who have fallen for that nonsense.
I've played F2P, I've played P2W, I've played MMOs. This has elements of all of them.
This game doesn't have only aesthetic items for real money purchases. They offer actual game changing items for sale for real money.
Its of course not a pure pay 2 win, where the ONLY way you can get ahead is to pay. Those games tend not to let you get any premium currency except by cash, and tons of exclusive items only available by that premium currency. That's not this game.

BUT, you can still get ahead in this game by paying. Sure the other players can earn the credits without paying over a period of time, but they will tend to be behind the people who are paying. As well, there are some exclusive features that one can only get by paying (such as the LTI).
So yeah, this game has elements of P2W.

That's my reasoning, feel free to respond with yours instead of name calling.

59. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 13:30 Dev

Dev wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 18:30:
They added some subscriptions for people who want to get more dev updates, or some such. So far, its not for the game yet. But who knows. Its still early days.
Incidentally about subscriptions, there's an entire part of the terms when you run the hanger program that goes over them.
B. Paid Subscription Services

If you pay a recurring (e.g. monthly) subscription for an RSI Service, RSI will provide you with notice of any changes to the fees or billing methods at least thirty (30) days in advance
By agreeing to these Terms of Service and purchasing a recurring subscription, you will have agreed to permit RSI to automatically renew your subscription to an RSI Service by charging a valid credit card
etc. So yeah, I'm convinced they will end up with subscriptions (perhaps optional or premium account ones) for the game itself at some point.

As a side note, the terms illegally state you give up any rights to sue
YOU UNDERSTAND AND HEREBY AGREE THAT YOU HEREBY WAIVE THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL.
And of course the by now standard no class actions.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 13:36.

32. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 23:09 Dev

Panickd wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 23:04:
Wow that lot's of cynicism and negativity... from people who never intended to buy into or play the game. Shocking!
You mean like me? How I pledged to it in the KS? How I upgraded a ship a while back?
I bet there's a few others in here too who have expressed doubts and *gasp* dropped at least $30 on it anyway.

19. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 18:30 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 16:20:
Also whats this new shit about subscriptions?
They added some subscriptions for people who want to get more dev updates, or some such. So far, its not for the game yet. But who knows. Its still early days.
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 18:18:
They are almost guaranteed to nail the single player (squadron 42). Chris Roberts and quite a few of the current team have been there and done that. They will be bringing back the space soap opera in style. No doubt about it.
One would hope yes, thats why I backed it. But who knows. I'm not quite that confidant.

5. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 15:23 Dev

1000 credits = $1 according to the incgamers link

Sure makes that 2000 credits I got from backing the KS seem puny. $2 worth of creds? They don't even have anything in the shop as low as that. They lowest item is 5000. The buggy is 20k, thats $20.

They should at least offer something that I can spend my 2000 creds on.

4. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 15:15 Dev

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 14:53:
Funny, that $275 dollar Rear Admiral package sure looks like P2W to me.
I know, right?
Despite all the denials, it sure seems to me like its P2W. Just because they offer in game ways of getting the stuff, doesn't mean its not a P2W. It just means they are generous in letting you earn the stuff.
All the MMO stuff and P2W stuff, I dont see how they are going to be able to offer people the promised private servers.

And they are offering some form of subscriptions already. Granted its not for the game (yet?) but they exist.

Plus, I mostly am interested in single player anyway, and I hope thats not mostly an afterthought as they are making the game.

From the start I've had my doubt but I backed it at the lowest level because its Chris Roberts and Privateer was a INCREDIBLY AWESOME game. Anyway, I still have hopes, but not much has allayed my doubts.
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 15:12:
Whether it's paying to win or not is irrelevant; since when does anybody launch their cash shop before the game even exists? I really hope the sad, strange little cult of followers here are beginning to realize how blatantly they're being exploited...
If people will line up to hand them money, why in the world would they NOT launch the cash shop early? Its a great business decision.
Doesn't mean I like it though.

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo