Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6687 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 15, 2013, 23:44 Dev

Shrink Ray? You mean that thing that was in duke 3d? Possibly earlier?
Zombies? You mean those things that have been in games since the C64 or earlier?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 15, 2013, 23:42 Dev

I'm sure apple knows just as many.  

News Comments > Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter
26. Re: Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter Sep 15, 2013, 23:41 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 23:15:
Dev wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 20:37:
Prior to that I bought basically every star wars book that came out. After they started (spoiler text highlight to see) blowing away planets and the rebel alliance, and killed chewie and having luke's kids go dark and kill each other it just was blah IMHO.

The whole Yuuzhan Vong saga is utter crap, but the series after that (Legacy of the Force) is actually really good. It goes on for way too long (could have easily been four books instead of nine), but it's a very good read. Really the only thing that really made me angry about them (major mega spoiler. Do NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS!!!) is that they kill Mara Jade, who was quite frankly the most awesome character in the entire EU.

But everything else about the series is pretty good, though Jacen's whinings to himself can get tedious.
Ok thanks Creston. Maybe I'll pick up the star wars books again and give them a try.
Right now reading through the Myth Inc series again before I read the new 2013 book (original author did a bunch, then co-authored with someone, then died, so now the co-author is finishing things up). I've re-read like 8 books in the past week

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 14, 2013, 20:58 Dev

MindStalker3 wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 10:28:
Wow, a balanced article on paypal, I didn't know that was possible.
The big problem for paypal is that people can and do reverse funds for crowdfunding credit card payments. If a crowd funding campaign brings in 100,000 in donations and doesn't produce, paypal can be stuck with 100,000 in chargebacks and no way to reclaim the money. They are going to have to get the credit card companies to change their policies and restrict chargebacks for this type of funding first. How that's possible? I don't know. Maybe during the purchase you have a popup legal agreement that says you are making a donation and can't chargeback. The credit card companies would then need to limit chargebacks for these charges to only issues where your credit card was stolen for example.
Almost no crowdfunding campaigns promise to produce in 2 months, which is the typical period for chargebacks, so that's not much of a concern in terms of mass chargebacks. And if the project is THAT badly mismanaged that its obvious its a failure in 2 months, then maybe people should get their money back.

I know with amazon and KS, they do get some small number of chargebacks on every campaign, its to be expected. Even steam gets some (though I think they lock your account if you do so).

16. Re: Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter Sep 14, 2013, 20:52 Dev

I agree, very amateurish look, especially pimping out so many screenshots of another casual match 3 kinda game and saying its just as complicated as this 4x game? WTF?  

14. Re: Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter Sep 14, 2013, 20:37 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 11:30:
Timothy Zahn? Didn't he write that heir to the empire trilogy!? *checking* FUCK YES HE DID! Take my money!
Yes, and those are my exact feelings about the books and the man. He's a great author. My favorite star wars books are his trilogy.
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 12:12:
The man that rebooted the Star Wars expanded universe!
Yes, and the books have gone down hill since then. Especially in the last 5 or so years. Prior to that I bought basically every star wars book that came out. After they started (spoiler text highlight to see) blowing away planets and the rebel alliance, and killed chewie and having luke's kids go dark and kill each other it just was blah IMHO. I wanted to see something happen, not that, seeing that made it look like everything that happened before was pointless. And that combined with the silly virgin birth and midichlorians thing that lucas threw in the recent movies just completed turning me away. Maybe if we are lucky, Disney will do a better job, they can't hardly do worse.

Anyway, I'll probably do the minimum on this just because of his name, but not looking like I'll be doing more unless he impresses me with this project in particular, not just his name.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2013, 20:51.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Sells 1.58 Million Units
5. Re: PAYDAY 2 Sells 1.58 Million Units Sep 14, 2013, 00:12 Dev

They just did a major patch today, haven't tried it out yet but it does things like improve the AI which was sorely needed.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Card Hunter
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Card Hunter Sep 13, 2013, 08:36 Dev

Do we have a shortage of collectible card games? LOL
I'll pass, CCGs (in real life or digital) suck up way too much money to play them and be good.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 12, 2013, 21:27 Dev

WOW SUCH A BIG ACTIVISION SALE ITS...
25% off
yawn

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
59. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 12, 2013, 02:32 Dev

I got dibs on Prez's library!

Aw who am I kidding, my own almost 1000 game library is nothing to sneeze at.

Edit: More like 4th or 5th dibs. Oh well as long as its first 10

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 02:38.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2013, 00:21 Dev

If their only objection is the funding and creativity control, rockstar could just a) fund it themselves (they have tons of money) or b) start a KS for it. That would drag a ton of funding and console kiddies into KS (not sure if thats a good thing).  

News Comments > Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development
14. Re: Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development Sep 11, 2013, 00:18 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 12:14:
Win 8.1 does not bring back the start menu.. it brings back the start BUTTON and ONLY the button, not the functionality of the start menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNbQT9eVt8

Yes, that is another epic fail Although I think stardock is very happy about that. ^^
LOL thats hilarious. I didn't know the details because I care that little for win 8, I don't really care what little tweaks MS plans. But just bringing back the BUTTON and none of the functionality!!!? LOL classic MS

News Comments > Wizardry on Steam
9. Re: Wizardry on Steam Sep 11, 2013, 00:14 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 21:17:
That said, I'd buy 8 if there is a mod that spruces up the graphics some... nothing to radical... but at least Return to Castle Wolfenstien (Quake 3 engine) level.
Oh? You mean like these mods?
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wiz8mods.htm
One of them mentions he's recently retextured almost the entire game over 2 years of work.
I didn't read the rest, since I don't have the game and I've never played it.
I also didn't look for screenshots.

News Comments > Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development
5. Re: Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development Sep 10, 2013, 02:49 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 22:08:
Cool. Congrats Derek.

GalCiv 3?
I agree, congrats are in order. They went from the verge of bankruptcy to being healthy enough to expand significantly.
I'm going to guess this is from a few factors:
They dumped their own distribution platform off on Gamestop. They weren't really big enough compared to the others to keep running it at healthy profit.
They joined steam. Finally, I can get stardock games on steam. I've rebought nearly all that have come up in fact when they go on sale. They didn't join steam earlier because it was competing with impulse, but now that that's not a problem, they are getting many more sales.
They fixed up the elemental stuff from what I can tel.

And finally (this may be the biggest of all) start8 to return the start menu from windows 8. This is hugely popular. Hopefully they've leveraged that enough so that they won't crater after 8.1 comes out.

And yes, I would love to see a new galciv

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 07:08 Dev

Slashman wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 11:07:
Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:54:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 09:49:
Week 3 no Skyrim. The world is a darker place....

Well, I am fairly sure every human being on earth has a copy of Skyrim at this point.
I finally broke down and got it I think at $15 or $20. Then I had to wait for the DLC to go on sale. No idea why they didn't make more DLC for it, its like printing gold I bet.

Not sure they could do anything else that mods haven't covered. Plus there is the fact that PS3 apparently can't handle the game well so making DLC for it(which I think they HAVE to do if they make it for everyone else) would likely not be pleasant or easy.
The mods covering something isn't really a factor. For instance, there's mods covering your own home, probably some of the first ones. And they've released hearthfire DLC about your own home. Official DLC is always going to be more important to many people than its equivalent mod.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 10:56 Dev

Shok wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:09:
Luckily, wine is pretty damn good for installing a fair number of GOG games. And even the native linux DOSBOX client helps.
Native dosbox eh? Nice. GoG could for minimal effort test a bunch of games on the native dos box and just mark them on the store as to if they will work on it. Same with Wine. Or, they could have some sorta community effort, where people vote on if it works with dosbox/wine and if the yes votes outnumber the no votes, have a penguin on the page. They can throw a disclaimer up about how its not officially supported etc just to cover their behind.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 10:54 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 09:49:
Week 3 no Skyrim. The world is a darker place....

Well, I am fairly sure every human being on earth has a copy of Skyrim at this point.
I finally broke down and got it I think at $15 or $20. Then I had to wait for the DLC to go on sale. No idea why they didn't make more DLC for it, its like printing gold I bet.

News Comments > Irrational Layoffs
4. Re: Irrational Layoffs Sep 5, 2013, 18:11 Dev

For a while I was beginning to wonder if they would ever bother to put out any DLC for the season pass I got  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2013, 09:52 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 01:10:
Dev wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 00:09:
I've also purchased from them.

Protip: This is a GREAT site:
http://isthereanydeal.com/

I've perused that site before... apparently quite awhile ago, it seems to have a lot more going for it now. I'll make a point of checking it more often, but it does seem... dangerous. I've been whittling down my sales games pile, but between these humble bundles and now Bundle Star, it's basically a lost cause.

Oh well, time to add dozens more titles to Steam.
Also if someone doesn't want to create yet another account for some place, it can be used as a one off kinda help. Like "OMG I MUST HAVE THIS GAME NAO WHERE IS THE BEST PRICE" kinda situations. Once you click on a game, it can show you the price chart history, and whats the lowest its ever been anywhere, or from a particular store, and what it is now, etc.

News Comments > Steam Trade Offers Launch
3. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 09:50 Dev

Valve,
Please tell me that random people who are NOT my friends can't send me trade requests. Because I get enough friends invites from people who are only wanting my Bill's hat already.
RaZ0r! wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 09:44:
Tim wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 09:28:
I want to trade games, or give them away to friends when I no longer need them.

Please?

Unfortunately that is up to the publishers, not Valve or Steam. Also, Valve allowing game trading is probably not really in their best interest either. With AAA games going as cheap as two bucks on sale nowadays I'm not sure they are worth trading.
And there's another twist too, the whole germany thing and used games. Who knows whats going to happen there.

6687 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo