Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6688 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Requires Uplay
45. Re: Watch Dogs Requires Uplay Apr 15, 2014, 06:57 Dev

Prez wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 10:09:
The best thing I can say about Uplay is that it doesn't piss me off much, so it's not a deal-breaker. I am excited about Watch Dogs enough to put up with the extra few seconds delay before the game launches via Steam and Uplay.
Same here
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 18:48:
Put simply, EA is doing it to be greedy; Blizzard is doing it for the games.
Don't kid yourself, Blizzard is doing it for the money too. When they only sell it digitally through their own platform they can 100% control the price. Notice how they rarely offer a digital sale?
Beamer wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 16:36:
UPlay was easy to ignore with FC3 for me. I'd launch via Steam and it would launch. When I closed out, it would tell me I had some rewards or something, and I'd close it. I never looked into what those rewards meant or were.
The rewards vary. You can redeem the points for rewards, usually things on the line of pre-order goodies. Usually some are external to the game (like backgrounds for your desktop) and some are in game rewards (like an unlockable goody)

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2014, 07:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2014, 09:35 Dev

Not EA again?  

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
21. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 6, 2014, 19:57 Dev

So hey, with the $14 GMG credit (or $10 cash back), on the deluxe, or $9/$12 on the non deluxe, any opinions on if this game is worth getting?
I've not heard much about it.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
32. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Apr 6, 2014, 19:41 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 15:06:
But in any case, no matter how many processes or threads or CLOUD MAJICS! it uses, a 32 Bit OS can never address things beyond 4 GB of memory. Ergo, (Latin!), the minimum of 6 means it's going to require a 64 bit OS (even if the executable might still just be 32 bit.)
Though there are and have been OS's that support more than 4gb in 32 bit versions.
The 4gb 32bit thing is more of a normal limit, but it can be worked around

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition Apr 4, 2014, 09:09 Dev

He shoulda sold this as a DLC  

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
37. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 02:18 Dev

Good ole gamespy. I actually paid for that server browser  

News Comments > Origins Ditches Discs
10. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 10:05 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 10:01:
Task wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 09:27:
Uh ok, so... if someone buys a EA Game on disk from Amazon/Gamestop or where-ever, they can't use the key on Origin?
By the way I don't think you could use the keys on Origin from actual CD/DVDs anyways.
I've had BF2 on a disc and could not add the CD key to my Origin library. I got invalid CD key error.
Ended up buying the whole BF complete set from Origin when it was on sale for $5, in case my disc gets scratched or something.
I believe you can contact EA about it and get updated keys that do work on origin. You may need to send in a picture of your CDs and key, not sure.

News Comments > Dear Esther Developer Joining Valve
1. Re: Dear Esther Developer Joining Valve Mar 13, 2014, 09:19 Dev

With the wheels on his desk he could be working on anything, including HL3  

News Comments > Spicy Horse Downsizes Due to Akaneiro Debt
7. Re: Spicy Horse Downsizes Due to Akaneiro Debt Jan 29, 2014, 20:56 Dev

Protip:
Kickstarter can ALSO be used to gauge interest in a game, not just raise money. Not generally a good idea to go and spend 10 times what a KS raises on a game, when the interest is obviously not there.

Just because you build it, does NOT mean they will come

Would have been better to take the KS, downscale the plans, do an episode or some such, and see if a larger scale project would have been supported over the long term.

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:32:
just like we'll find out Roberts has corporate backers he's beholden to but hasn't said anything.
He HAS said something about them. As I recall it was at least $10 million in private non crowd funding. I believe that's why he's pushing so hard on having it be MMORPG/F2P/Subscription/kitchen sink and everything else. Things like F2P are very hot in private funding right now.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 13:21 Dev

On a different topic, they FINALLY released the last hitman game, one of my favorites. Hitman contracts.

Anyone know how they finally did it? My understanding was that some music licensing was holding them back?

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Jan 26, 2014, 13:16 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 09:10:
Dev wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 05:34:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 20:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 14:07:
Titanfall must not be selling vety well.....got a 25% coupon from GMG.

GMG-specific promotions have nothing to do with what the publisher is or isn't getting. GMG is giving up a portion of their per unit profit to try and drum up large volumes of sales... That's pretty much their entire strategy in selling Steam keys.
And sometimes the publisher prohibits them from doing so. Which is when they resort to giving a cash back discount, etc.

ok, look at it this way.
GMG Employee 1: Holy crap....we have a LOT of Titanfall in our warehouse still.
GMG Employee 2: Yea, send an email to mgmt, we aren't moving as many as the forecast.
GMG Mgmt: Crap - we don't want to get stuck with those. Thought it would sell better, lets throw 25% at it and see what happens.
Well that would be more apropos if these were physical goods transactions

I'm fairly certain that digital distributors only pay the publishers on actual copies sold.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 26, 2014, 05:34 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 20:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 14:07:
Titanfall must not be selling vety well.....got a 25% coupon from GMG.

GMG-specific promotions have nothing to do with what the publisher is or isn't getting. GMG is giving up a portion of their per unit profit to try and drum up large volumes of sales... That's pretty much their entire strategy in selling Steam keys.
And sometimes the publisher prohibits them from doing so. Which is when they resort to giving a cash back discount, etc.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 26, 2014, 04:55 Dev

I congratulate you Cliff!

While I don't always agree with you, you often spark some great discussion, and generally I like your games.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 26, 2014, 04:46 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 15:28:
shihonage wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 06:46:
Don't believe the "dispelling HD myth" article. Stay away from Seagate drives, they're shit, and have been shit for a very long time.

Yeah, the dispelling article basically points out that Backblaze stores their drives in sub-optimal conditions. While that may be true... they're also uniformly sub-optimal, meaning the conclusions are likely still valid.
As well, one of the points they mention in the dispelling article is temperature. They obviously didn't bother to read the far larger google research a few years back which made the EXACT SAME POINT. Temperature doesn't make nearly as big of a difference in drive failure as people think.

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 on Steam Jan 26, 2014, 04:34 Dev

Fletch wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 05:59:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 05:15:
I thought they had that already. In fact, I think there are two of them.

Omg, they do! Thanks for the links. Hmmm... one takes place in the 80s. I was hoping to shed some light on the 20-teens. You know... unfinished releases, patch1 on day one, day one DLC, multi-platform concessions, FTP, PTW, Kickstarter, rereleasing essentially the same game over and over, but with a higher number after the title, undercover NSA agents, etc. The Google Play game looks kind of fun.
There's actually some of that in the steam one. Sequels, multi platform, rush the release and have bugs in it on release, MMORPG subscription games, etc.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
24. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 26, 2014, 04:23 Dev

Prez wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 19:36:
Does anyone think that US Government spying on its own citizens wouldn't be going on if Romney had won the presidency? The politicians left and right have been drooling for the opportunity to do what they are doing right now for decades. If you are still thinking in terms of left and right you're missing the bigger picture imo. Talk is cheap, so the Republicans making noise about things means nothing. ALL of the Federal Government is the bad guy here. We don't have anyone on our side except people like Snowden who take real action at great risk to themselves and the few independent Federal judges who have weighed in so far.
Exactly.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 20:05:
As the president said in his speech the other day (forced by the Snowden revelations), it's time to scale back.
And yet, it was all meaningless. Like he's going to scale back the degrees of searching from 3 people away from target of interest, to 2 people away from target of interest.
So?
And he's going to require someone get permission before spying on foreign leaders (its NOT a ban on it, like the headlines were claiming).
Again, so?

That speech was far more about pacifying the public than any meaningful changes.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: HDDs Jan 22, 2014, 09:38 Dev

Pigeon wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 08:38:
How do you get a 120% failure rate o_O ? Are they using some kind of multidimensional measurement where the drives are even failing in realities where they're not supposed to? If so that's a pretty crappy hard-drive, but it'd be invaluable to scientific research.
Presumably they get a drive, warranty replace it, and it fails yet again.
So in other words, out of 100 drives, they have to replace drives 120 separate times, many are refurbished warranty replacements that fail yet again.
Jivaro wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 03:46:
Alienware = Dell, so yeah..overpriced crap.
They were overpriced even before dell

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 22, 2014, 08:47 Dev

ZOMG PC GAMES IS DYING!  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2014, 08:44 Dev

Incidentally there was a law signed back under the previous president giving theater employees the right to detain and interrogate people in cases like these... and be immune from any civil or criminal lawsuits from doing so.

So don't even have to involve the FBI or ICE to have gestapo tactics.

Even taking a cell phone snapshot of a movie screen could be grounds for up to 3 years in jail.

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
7. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Jan 22, 2014, 05:53 Dev

LOC wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 05:12:
Aces Wild and Hero Siege are two awesome games that totally deserve to be on Steam. Glad they finally got in. Now I just hope it doesn't take months to get released on Steam.
That's up to the devs. Push them to get the games on steam fast

6688 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo