Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6698 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
23. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 19:01 Dev

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 13:31:
lol, do you honestly expect anyone to get the roms legally? Stop insulting our intelligence, everyone downloads their roms, despite what you say. It's like those warez groups who put a little txt file that says "if you like this game, buy it and support the developers."

Emulation is piracy because everyone just pirates their ROMs.
And yet, there are guides on getting a rom extracted from an owned cartridge so one can legally have it.
Just because YOU do all that you said, doesn't mean that every single other person does too.
Incidentally, for games that don't have a demo, often the warez version is the best way to see if a game is enjoyable.
I don't do that much myself anymore because of steam, but though it may be rare, it does happen that it leads to actual sales.
bigspender wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 18:49:
anyone know if it allows for multiplayer via steamworks?
Since its mostly just a front end to add the shortcuts as a non steam game, no I wouldn't think so. But its a good idea, I suggest submitting it. If they can set it up as some form of overlay on the emulators, to transmit keypresses, it might even be doable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 12:38 Dev

This appears to only be a front end. It mostly adds game listings into steam if you have ROMs in a specified folder. It also can pull emulators from other sources. It combines those two things into the game entries in steam so it launches the appropriate emulator with the rom.
So this is not an emulator, just a front end (which is why its such an impressive list, they aren't doing the emulators).

8. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 12:35 Dev

The webpage says it uses 360 controller by default... which is fine, except I own a SNES to USB converter, I prefer to play with the original controller on games for SNES heh. Hopefully it can be adjusted.  

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
9. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 13, 2013, 12:24 Dev

Maybe DICE needs to man up, work with AMD, and get mantle on linux along with BF4, since it won't need to require direct x in that case, it should theoretically be able to run native.  

7. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 12:19 Dev

Julio wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 11:56:
This one's going to get shut down quickly. Steam really shouldn't be helping in piracy given their pro-DRM stance.
Emulation doesn't necessarily mean piracy. There are people who legally own copies of the cartridges or games that they then can use the ROMS for in emulators.
If they aren't distributing the roms, then they will likely be ok.

This has been hashed out years ago, which is why MAME is still around.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2013, 12:38.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 23:56 Dev

ItBurn wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 23:21:
I believe in Chris and Star Citizen, but let's not delude ourselves here, their servers will crash and burn HARD on release day. It's been like that with every single event or thing they released. They even joke about it and are open with the backers (if you stay in touch with the community). They know it, we know it, it'll be ok.

Buuuuuut. Since I backed the KS because I mostly wanted the single player, I'll be ok?
Right?
Right?

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 22:52 Dev

Narf2029 wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:43:
To be fair, lots of companies blow their launch day. In the grand scheme, it costs a lot to handle one day's extraordinarily high demand when you consider it will probably never need that much infrastructure again as usage smooths out and/or tapers off.
Which seems quite silly to me. I mean with the cloud, you can add temporary capacity pretty easy. Just have to design your front ends properly to scale for sharing and balancing.

I'm sure there's ways to rent stuff like this too.

And yet valve continually falls on their face in this area. I could understand content servers getting overloaded, but they never do. Its frequently their front end that chokes when they have big sales. They have so much information as to how much demand they have and how much it increases, yet they still never have enough.

News Comments > Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online
17. Re: Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online Oct 7, 2013, 07:25 Dev

Stimpack wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 13:07:
I was under the impression that this was some kind of online lawyer game.
Sounds like a KS project that could succeed.
Patent tycoon!

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Oct 7, 2013, 02:37 Dev

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 01:37:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 22:33:
(even limit theory /w its ONE! man team)

Two, actually. Josh hired an artist for the graphics. He does still do all the programming all by himself.
I'm in on that KS, he's making good progress.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2013, 01:25 Dev

I did that too for someone who had it on their wishlist.

My biggest problem is most of the games that go on sale, people already own them yet or don't bother to put things on their wishlist. So many of my friends have blank wishlists or only like 4 items, that are all $50 each.

If you have an interest in a game, add it to your wishlist! Who knows, someone might end up getting it for you

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2013, 00:00 Dev

Ceribaen wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 21:27:
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 14:25:
Couldn't pass up Infinite for 13 bucks.

Steam didn't email me that it was on sale and I missed it!
Oh well I'm sure come Christmas time it'll hit that price again, plus I have about 100 other things I'll play before I get to it.
That's why I check the steam page almost every day. Also, if you use www.isthereanydeal.com its got a great way to sync with your steam wishlist and then notify you when things are on sale. I have it set to email me once a day with all the sales, but its hugely configurable on frequency and what kinda sales it emails you.
Plus, THAT ENHANCED STEAM CHROME PLUGIN! THAT is what steam should be like. FAR FAR easier to tell what games and DLC I already own. Previously I had to add all DLC to my cart to see WTF I owned, and that was a huge pain if a game had 20 DLC. And it tells if I or someone else has things wishlisted, etc.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Oct 6, 2013, 20:14 Dev

Iurand wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 19:58:
If by X--Wing, you mean Freespace and Nexus...
They tried for another nexus. The kickstarter didn't get funded.
I think they tried on another site too, it still didn't happen.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 19:19 Dev

peteham wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 18:26:
25% off with one of those weekend coupons I've been getting mailed to me once a week lately.
I don't get those, I wonder how I can start? lol

Unless you mean the ones on their blog. For contractual reasons they sometimes don't work on USA versions of certain games like x-com, are you outside the USA?

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2013, 19:37.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 14:55 Dev

Wash Washburne wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 14:31:
XCOM: Enemy Within for $29.99....no thank you. Greedy price hiking makes me sad a little inside.
If its a full sized expansion like it claims, $30 isn't bad, that's the normal price of an expansion to a $50 game.
Firaxis has also had great success doing civ 5 expansions for that much, so its not exactly a price hike for them.

I've not looked into specifically what they are including in this expansion, so I dont know if its justified or not. But I imagine waiting a few weeks one could just use a 20% or 25% off coupon from GMG on it, or wait for the christmas steam sale.

Now blizzard charging $40 for their SC2 expansion seems a bit much to me.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2013, 15:02.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode a "Possibility"
15. Re: SimCity Offline Mode a Oct 4, 2013, 21:18 Dev

They said the SAME THING before the game was released to try and placate people upset about it then.

Until they ACTUALLY HAVE IT IN THE GAME, I'm not going to listen.

Quboid wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 17:15:
this is something that many of our players have been asking for

Really? Have they? They've been asking for offline mode? Is that so?
LOL good catch. Weren't they saying before the release that no one would care or be impacted and everyone had internet?

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2013, 21:25.

News Comments > SimCity Modding Discussion
9. Re: SimCity Modding Discussion Oct 1, 2013, 20:55 Dev

protip EA: If you really wanted this, you should have started from the beginning, not decided to tack something on at an arbitrary time since you see your player numbers dropping.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 24, 2013, 07:46 Dev

LOL, RS has had garage problems in more than one past GTA. Haven't they fixed that yet?  

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2013, 02:39 Dev

nin wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 12:35:
I'd be curious how much steam numbers dropped, if any, starting at about midnight last Tuesday.

If you had checked within 2 days of that, you would have found out:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

News Comments > Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free
4. Re: Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free Sep 21, 2013, 11:22 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 04:04:
GOG is now offering free games for free! Hooray!
Protip: Goto GoG and browse games, click sort to free.
http://www.gog.com/games##price=free
Get all the free games added to your account.

GoG changes up the free games sometimes, or has limited times where something is free, so always add them when they have them :). As someone mentioned, star gunner was last week. Blue typically has a blurb when they have a new free game, but I also check occasionally. Right now there's a few ultima games and some other ones.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 21, 2013, 11:11 Dev

DangerDog wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 23:48:
I doubt there's much trickle down for that $1b to the people working on the low end of the stick, incoming complaints from the main voice actors about not getting paid enough.
At this point, its not a mystery that a GTA game would make huge money. The voice actors are free to change their terms for working on something like that if they think they are getting a raw deal. Of course rockstar is also free to decline that change and hire someone cheaper.
The voice actors accepted the pay rate, so...

6698 Comments. 335 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo