Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6746 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
107. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 04:14 Dev

Task wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 17:34:
Even WoW has private servers which daring players mod and run, but Blizzard can't do anything about that.
Check again. They've sued and shut down places for doing that since eula.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
106. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 04:05 Dev

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 15:12:
Tidbit :

There is a rumor that Alex Mayberry has a family health emergency, and he quit to take care of someone.

No idea if it's true. Just worth mentioning that there's word out there.

-scheherazade
Likely a rumor started by desperate fans if the pattern holds.

So no private servers, online only, subscriptions, pay to win, MMO, people jumping ship. Do I have that right? Yeah I'm feeling REAL confident about my KS backing now.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
26. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 02:44 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 18:57:
How many major game developers ever issued refunds before this new Steam refund policy. I can't think of a prior one off hand.
There's been a few. Like sims launch I believe.

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
43. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 13:37 Dev

I do believe this is the first fruit of ms rededicating themselves to PC.

Good ole MS, continually looking to screw PC gamers over

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
47. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 11:47 Dev

They should have done this long ago to concentrate on minecraft and sequels. Entering the crowded digital CCG market was a mistake, and was only done because notch told a friend he would.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
23. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 17:49 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:19:
Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:13:
Anyone else wondering how they are going to fund this game when they are giving away three games. each game cost at least 20 dollars. and there are 11580 backers. times that by 20 and that already over 230 thousand.

Seems like a lot of funding is going to get wasted on a free game promised.

Erm, you realize there's no way they're actually paying regular price for copies of games to give away? It costs them nothing to do so with their own game, and I doubt they're paying much in terms of actual dollars to GOG for Witcher keys, either, if at all.
Correct, steam keys of their own games are free for devs.
For wasteland 2, the costs are already taken care of. And likely most people wanting to pay full price have already purchased it.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
28. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 17:34 Dev

Task wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:14:
Wow, that took a while.

Off the record though, they did allow refunds in the past. When I purchased (or rather was fooled into it) ACM back in the day, I demanded a refund for it from Steam and they gave my money back that same day I got it.

I think in that case the devs/publisher allowed it

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
18. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 15:10 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 10:08:
Doma wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:51:
Woo yeah! Backed!

Wasteland 2 was great and Torment is looking to be pretty sweet aswell.

Keep em coming!

I was under the impression that Wasteland 2 had really crappy combat and some other issues. Did those get fixed?
I think the directors cut fixes most of that

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
7. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:01 Dev

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:44:
I think 14 days and two hours is totally reasonable.

Long overdue, but I'm surprised they finally did it.

They did it because of the EU laws and the court cases there regarding refunds of digital software.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming
21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 12:16 Dev

Quboid wrote on May 9, 2015, 11:32:
Slashman wrote on May 9, 2015, 11:14:
It's a weird thing, but most people assume things about Steam and Valve without actually going to the Steam page for developers and reading what they offer. Steam really seems to be the best game in town when it comes to pricing and all the perks that devs get for free from them.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

I didn't check that because I assume it is for small developers, and publishers or people with an established product could negotiate better terms - but that says that it's free and I doubt anyone is negotiating themselves a worse deal. Thanks.
For the 30% or so that steam takes of each sale through steam as a one time cut with nothing taken ever again, it's really a good deal for devs. They offer quite a bit.
Not the least of which is the largest PC gamer market on the planet. Plus they have detailed stats on the average PC gamer.

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 11:10 Dev

Quboid wrote on May 9, 2015, 10:04:
Speaking of bandwidth, it occurred to me that Steam Sale server problems seem to be a thing of the past. A few years ago, each sale would result in their store dying all over the place and downloads slowing but this hasn't been the case for the last year or two.
Perhaps the valve guy responsible for the server loads finally got around to wheeling his desk over to check the charts and projected growth.

It's gotten much better, but last steam sale I still noticed it, errors with steam store while browsing and trying to buy, etc. It's always the front end, never the actual content bandwidth as far as I can tell.

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 09:28 Dev

Quboid wrote on May 9, 2015, 08:58:
Do you have a source for this? It makes sense as Valve are clearly determined to get people on to their service but I'd like to know for sure. I'd be very surprised if Frontier are paying Valve the full 30%.
Not really any official source, but think of all the steam key giveaways of crappy non selling games that sometimes happen. Or when companies do something like this, giving keys away to people who purchased elsewhere.
Most couldn't afford that if steam charged anything.
I also know that for mobile kickstarters, almost no one gives away keys to a mobile game on itunes because they DO charge for all keys. So you end up paying in the kickstarter once, then paying again for the game when it's released on itunes.

So all the evidence points to no cost steam keys.

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 8, 2015, 23:47 Dev

Incidentally, I'd pay for a kickstarter steam key if someone has an extra for this, I stupidly missed out on backing it. One of the keys that would give starting package bonus kinda thing.

Unless they are controlling access with a separate account system outside of steam, then I guess might not be able to do that.

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
26. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 21:11 Dev

Timmeh wrote on May 8, 2015, 11:59:
Good for Nvidia, when they are not cheating in benchmarks or doing other underhanded marketing things they are helping an independent developer make a car game... whooohoooo!

Did you bother to read the official report from futuremark when that went down? I did.

Guess what I found? ATI was cheating too in those same benchmarks. Just they weren't as obvious as nvidia.
ATI wasn't pure as the snow in that scandal lol.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 18:11 Dev

Valve openly admitted why they created greenlight in the announcement for it. They were tired of doing the work of approving games for steam and instead wanted the community to do it, which happens to be free.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 7, 2015, 18:13 Dev

Made me think kickstarter at first. I know many kickstarters are legit, but there are some that are outright scams.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 4, 2015, 09:05 Dev

Yet more gov funding to do what the phone companies were supposed to have done decades ago with previous gov funding.  

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers
24. Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers Apr 26, 2015, 12:01 Dev

Xylemon wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 18:53:
Lastly, I am working on a retail project, and we won't have a stupid phrase like this in our EULA, so that cop out "why don't do you better" phrase won't work this time
Awesome Plus good comeback

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers
20. Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers Apr 25, 2015, 13:29 Dev

NKD wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 07:54:
Getting upset about EULAs is usually pretty pointless. There's a lot of "Cover Your Ass" type language that goes into those things. It's a legal document not a literal description of what rules they will be vigorously and aggressively enforcing, even if they make it sound that way.

When it comes to stuff like getting banned from servers, it's generally even more pointless. The owner of a server can deny access to that server to anyone, for any reason or no reason at all. Unless you have a specific contract that states otherwise, no one is required to provide you access to their network indefinitely and they can cut you off. The language in their EULA is irrelevant. EULA or no, they can ban you at a whim and you'll have no real recourse. So what really matters is how they enforce their rules. That remains to be seen.

As far as activities taking place on third party servers, it's less clear cut, but it really ends up boiling down to the technical specifics. Can they actually police whats going on in the first place? Probably not.

Except when it comes to EA, where they've banned origin accounts for some forum comments. And other crazy things. Which they laid out in the EULA as being able to do

News Comments > AMD Beta GTA Drivers
4. Re: AMD Beta GTA Drivers Apr 14, 2015, 09:00 Dev

Dirty Butler wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 00:11:
Dev wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 22:11:
Good for you AMD! Release day drivers for once!
Beta instead of WHQL though.
And any bets on if crossfire is supported on release instead of a month or three later?

New Crossfire Profiles for:

Grand Theft Auto V
Impressive, that's like first time in forever

6746 Comments. 338 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo