Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1821 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored Gameplay Trailer
12. Re: Dishonored Gameplay Trailer Jun 1, 2012, 22:32 Dmitri_M

Looks really interesting.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Confirmed
9. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 21:27 Dmitri_M

As long as the third is as good as the first and second then it's fine. Character progression is somewhat meaningless in the Dead Space world though. The story was threadbare. They could easily find a way to have him back on some ship floating around alone.

This is the only current game series I've cared about over the past few years.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 21:33.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Confirmed
5. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 18:39 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 15:32:
it totally ruins the element of isolation which provides a lot of the tension in the first place.
Yeah the leaked shots make it look like a straight up action game. The characters look less like engineers and much more like soldiers.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
30. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 13:53 Dmitri_M

Krovven wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:47:
then it would appear that all games, devs, pubs, and all their varying business practices are all shit and would need to burn alive for their sins against our children.
Lighten up, Krovven

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
26. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 13:36 Dmitri_M

So the auction house allows you to buy items in game? For what purpose? So that you can skip finding those items yourself?

I've never played any of the Diablo titles (or any MMO). But this mechanic sounds strange. Would I play Jagged Alliance and go online and purchase the best weapon right at the start of the game?

News Comments > StarForge Demo
12. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 08:38 Dmitri_M

buzzkill begin/
I find it hard to muster any hyperbole about a sandbox title where I move around 3D objects for fun as the second coming of pc gaming.
Maybe I've spent too much time moving around 3D objects in CG apps for a living. Never touched Minecraft or that Gary's mod either.
/end buzzkill

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
39. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:27 Dmitri_M

I'm currently reading Market Forces. It'd make for a helluva good American Psycho near future sci-fi like Carmageddon film. I picture it shot like Children of Men.
He's even built in the product placement with the crazy armoured BMWs and SAAB cars the execs use to off each other while getting their "promotions".

37. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:21 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 16:37:
And Morgan has done some game writing, including Crysis 2 and Syndicate.
Too bad they didn't structure their stories around his ideas rather than only using his writing skills. Good on him for getting the dough though, it just sucks for us.

35. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 16:34 Dmitri_M

As long as the game mechanics are good and the atmosphere oozes cyberpunk then I don't see how they can fuck this up.

Games are much more about mechanics and atmosphere and hinting at the deeper meaning of the plot through atmosphere than outright story telling. It's something RPG nerds seem to miss and why I could never get involved in any RPG discussions without falling a sleep as people obsess over stupid minute plot elements.

Saying Deus EX had "huge impact" is just peculiar to me. Are you sitting there oh shucks'ing at the games dialog and the twists and turns of the plot? I liked it, but I don't recall any really awesome standout moments. The Bladerunner point and click adventure, where you could (for no particular reason) walk out onto the balcony of your apartment building and look at the view and just experience the atmosphere. That's something game devs can easily get across through visuals than reams of story that end up being walls of dialog and text.

Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon with a driven central character (who really wouldn't be out of place in a film nior or in a hard bitten action film) and the great sci-fi on the periphery. That'd work well for a game. Better than some of the older cyberpunk tomes that work as books but would be deadly boring as games.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II DLC & Patch Next Month
13. Re: Crusader Kings II DLC & Patch Next Month May 31, 2012, 16:14 Dmitri_M

Zadig wrote on May 30, 2012, 17:28:
RPS said nice things about it, but I tend to spend as much time editing Paradox game files as playing them. The $12.49 plentiful Paradox pack on Amazon has suddenly got me interested in this.

I was very surprised that I got into Crusader Kings as I find medieval history to be incredibly dry and mundane. The game mechanics are just that good.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week?
43. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 31, 2012, 12:35 Dmitri_M

Oh if only this could be modded.  

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
38. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 15:07 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:42:
avianflu wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:16:
I'll never forget installing the demo of Doom3 and realizing how behind the times it was in every possible way that a game can be.

MONSTERCLOSET!

you neglected to mention that other D3 monster:

MONSTER-APPEAR-OUT-OF-THIN-AIR!

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's RPG Tease
15. Re: CD Projekt RED's RPG Tease May 29, 2012, 21:45 Dmitri_M

A RPG free of the swords and sorcery mumbo jumbo? Please say it's so. I love anything cyberpunk. Take my money! (it'll be a first - most of these RPG developers have never earned a dime from me, I love RPG game mechanics just can't stand the early afternoon children's tv show storylines).

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2012, 17:55:
Oh come on. Whilst the flavour of the Westwood game was spot on, it was pretty far from perfect.
You're right Cutter you were immaculately conceived.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded
27. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded May 28, 2012, 17:05 Dmitri_M

There were understated quiet moments in I76 that I'm not sure current developers could replicate. I don't see a technically high-end vehicular combat game being released today that doesn't feature idiotic criminals (GTA, SR) without a big city setting and cars featuring glowing neon lights in the wheel wells. It's just too easy these days getting fancy.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2012, 16:19 Dmitri_M

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 28, 2012, 13:41:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:41:
Zombies must be a generational thing. My parents and older family members don't even know what "zombies" are.

How old are you? The first Night of the Living Dead was in the 70s.
Parents are in their 60s. The country I'm in only got TV in the mid 70s. Unlikely Living Dead was released here, and no way my parents would have caught it being..the non movie-goers they are.

All that said, I guess I shouldn't even have bothered making my original comment..teehee.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2012, 17:03.

News Comments > New DayZ Mod for Arma II
33. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 16:19 Dmitri_M

The whole DayZ "phenomenon" amuses me.

Seems there's a lot of people waking up to the best survival game (zombies or no zombies) on PC having been quietly sitting there disguised as a buggy military game.

Praise be to OFP\ArmA mission editor and 11 years of using it. Best value I ever got out of gaming.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2012, 20:50 Dmitri_M

ASeven wrote on May 27, 2012, 20:06:
For those thinking of getting Dirt Showdown as a replacement for the old Destruction Derby game, don't. A friend of mine got it and I played some tracks in his house and the damage model, which was amazing in Dirt 2 and 3, has fixed damage here, it's not even dynamic damage. Cars have only 4 or 5 aesthetic damage states and that's it. It's jarring as hell, especially when it's a game about destruction derbies and built on the Dirt engine which had amazing damage destruction engine on past titles.

Of all titles that needed a polish on that engine this was it, instead Codemasters made the damage engine way way worse and that ends up making the derby and destruction focused type of races weak and without any punch.
I watched the Gametrailers "review" (sound off of course). It didn't look very good. What's odd is how gamers in the comments section kept talking about how "Codemasters ruined the Dirt series". They didn't do a very good marketing it as a spin-off. Many seem to think it's a direct Dirt sequel. Cheap attempt to cash in by using an existing engine and franchise name seems to have backfired.

Ah well. Thanks for the additional heads-up.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2012, 19:43 Dmitri_M

Jivaro wrote on May 27, 2012, 15:20:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:41:
Zombies must be a generational thing. My parents and older family members don't even know what "zombies" are.

Your parents must be REALLY old. Zombies have been a part of literature, mythology, and culture for longer then written history has existed....much longer. The word 'zombie' itself is from the Vodou religeons, but the concept of animated corpses is extremely ancient. Contrary to popular belief, the 'living dead' as a plot basis for various entertainment mediums isn't new or original...and it definitely wasn't created by western culture, let alone Hollywood. I suppose one could make the argument that the mainstream was not "zombie-aware" before 1968 with "Night of the Living Dead"...but even then that was 40+ years ago.

This isn't a new fad in entertainment...they have been around awhile. My Mom is 65 years young and she knows what a zombie is. She pointed me to an old black & white film called White Zombie that was old when she first saw it....being that it was was made in 1932. It was so popular they made a sequel 4 years later. My step-father is 72 and has the book "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead" on his bookshelf.

Point being, if your parents don't know what a zombie is, age isn't the reason. More likely they just aren't interested in horror or fictional entertainment, which is totally cool but it would put them in the minority of just about every generation, not just this one.

I think zombies are overused today, right now, not because we all love zombies...or love killing zombies for that matter....but because they are a very safe bad guy from the 'political correctness' viewpoint for a game maker. You can even turn the blood green for censor purposes and not affect a story line in the least. There isn't anything religeous, political, etc attached to the modern 'zombie'....and since you are killing the already dead you are in fact doing them a favor rather then doing them harm. The perfect cannon fodder for any game maker wishing to avoid controversy, censors, and looking to keep things simple. I mean, the AI can even be stupid and nobody cares.

Interesting. Yeah I guess by "age" I meant they simply don't keep up with entertainment trends and right now zombies seem to be real trendy.

Reminds me of a George Carlin quote.

George Carlin: Angels, shit. What about goblins? Doesn't anybody believe in goblins? We never hear from them, except on halloween, and it's always negative shit too, you know. And zombies! Where the fuck are all the zombies? That's the trouble with zombies, they're unreliable. I think if you're going to buy the angels shit, you might go for the zombie package as well.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2012, 14:41 Dmitri_M

3. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2012, 14:37 Dmitri_M

SpectralMeat wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:13:
How is Iron Front? I've been thinking of getting it.
It's an unpatched ArmA 2 with a high quality (graphically speaking) WW2 skin. Commercial mod.

1821 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo