Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1793 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 07:25 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:22:

That being said, Bungie is no longer employed by Microsoft and has a contract for 10 years (I believe) with Activision.

Talk about swapping one evil for another!

Financial stability is clearly an acceptable evil for companies like Bungie unwilling to play indie in mom's basement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013
32. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 02:42 Dmitri_M

DayZ like Aliens mod  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 20:54 Dmitri_M

Prez wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:06:
Buyer beware on Annoy 2070: unrevocable activations (only 3) and changing out a video card or adding memory requires re-activation.

I would have bought it myself if it were not for that. With DRM like that it's barely worth 5 bucks.

Just for the record Bluebyte patched the DRM to prevent video card\RAM changes consuming an activation. The activations reset after 30 days and apparently they'll give you a new activation if you contact UBI directly, but from what I've read they ask for a scanned barcode and proof of purchase. Which is less than Adobe asks for when I run out of activations for Photoshop. Adobe simply takes my word for it, and this is over online IM support. About as impersonal as it gets. Photoshop also costs about 10x what Anno costs.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2012, 19:14 Dmitri_M

ASeven wrote on May 20, 2012, 18:52:
Mods don't sell games! Mods don't sell-- Oh wait.

Mods don't sell games. Zombie Mods sell games.

Seriously though. Anyone familiar with OFP and how the ArmA series turned out know that every copy of ArmA that has ever sold was due to modding. ArmA has none of the sp goodness that OFP had. It's one instance I can think of when a publisher was good for a series. Whoever was the producer on the Codemasters end was clearly responsible for OFP's SP campaigns. The ArmA series prooves BIS have no SP campaign abilities, whatsoever.

It's funny seeing people buy into ArmA now when these survival style mods have existed for years. And so many put us down on boards like these and others, not understanding why many of us could overlook the flaws present in the engine to buy and play such a quirky title. It was true sandbox gameplay long before GTA.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 20:19.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2012, 17:18 Dmitri_M

ArmA 2 Combined Operations is on sale on Amazon.com currently for 50% off ($14.99)

I would recommend buying this version over the Steam version personally. For various reasons modding and updating the Steam version of ArmA can be a pain in the ass. The Steam versions also get the patches late.

edit: oops, I see Dev already mentioned the special below. Oh well.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 17, 2012, 11:47 Dmitri_M

From what I hear D3's graphical performance has more to do with available internet bandwidth than GFX cards..  

News Comments > PC DiRT Showdown NOT Delayed
8. Re: PC DiRT Showdown NOT Delayed May 17, 2012, 09:30 Dmitri_M

ASeven wrote on May 16, 2012, 21:11:
I loved Destruction Derby 1 and 2 and been looking for such a mindless fun game ever since. Wonder if this one fits the bill?
I've hoped for a DD1\DD2 like title for years but nothing has quite achieved that level of crazy racing action.

Flatout 1 was my big hope but it wasn't arcade enough (yup).
Flatout 2 was the closest approximation but still tried to go for a realistic look and feel (as realistic as a arcade racer can get).
If the Trackmania games featured collisions they might be quite close.

The sheer number of cars present during the races, the over the top bouncy cartoon like physics and the tracks with their bottleneck narrow sections designed to cause huge pile-ups coupled with the MASSIVE jumps. Arcade games today still go for a realistic looking approach. So bored of generic flat city tracks. Bring back Chalk Canyon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmkCGLk8Ii8

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 09:35.

News Comments > DayZ Modification for Arma II
49. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:30 Dmitri_M

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:34:

Dunno, can you name a better/more immersive experience you can buy from steam for 30 bucks?

We aren't wanting to buy a mod, we are wanting to buy a terrible, horrible, broken game called ARMA which is required to run the mod. There's a difference. A game that's basically STALKER Online is a no brainer. Shame it isn't standalone.

Yeah the "broken" line is utter nonsense, the game has been rock solid for ages now.

Just because you can't handle a non ID FPS doesn't mean it's broken.

27. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:36 Dmitri_M

StreetPreacher wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:12:
What if I have regular (Steam/retail) ArmA II and not the "Combined Operations" flavor? Can I still play this mod?

You'll likely need the Operation Arrowhead expansion. When that's installed with the retail version of ArmA 2 you essentially have Combined Operations.

The Arrowhead expansion has it's own exe. They made a lot of engine additions and changes.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 13:41.

19. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:26 Dmitri_M

Beelzebud wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:00:
And this is why smart companies, who want to build communities around their games, give out mod tools.

Some companies don't need to (whether we want them to or not). In BI's case their entire community is built on the back of mods since their actual "games" are threadbare and..awful. I ran an ArmA community for a while, over the years we never touched the campaigns the games shipped with. ArmA for a long time has been a sandbox for modders.

If you're providing a mainstream out of the box experience like Dice are with BF3 I can see why they don't bother with mod tools. Lost DLC revenue versus a couple of happy modders. If you couldn't mod ArmA, the game would sell zero.

13. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:41 Dmitri_M

ArmA has a had a few mods like this. Couple of years back there was a persistant mod that revolved around police and criminals. Players could rob banks or deal\stash drugs or play as police officers. Funny how zombies suddenly make something popular.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
143. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:09 Dmitri_M

Agent.X7 wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:28:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:22:
entr0py wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:15:
How invasive is the required internet connection for SP?

I'm on a handcranked internet connection in the centre of the jungle. Is it just a once off login or something more..diabolical?

Diabolical. It's not just a check at the beginning, every moment needs to be authenticated with the server, and if there's too much lag you can experience rubber-banding in single-player. Think of it like an MMO instance with a population of you.

Ah. Glad I didn't buy it then. I just checked and the closest server to my location is on the otherside of the planet. Minimum 250 ping. Why the hell would they do that to the sp?

How would you even buy it if you're in the center of the jungle? Do you get Monkey Express delivery?
Diablo 3 is the number 1 title selling at my local banana leaf lined store. I'm afraid many of my fellow baboons are going to be very sad when they get home.

ASeven wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:41:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:22:

Ah. Glad I didn't buy it then. I just checked and the closest server to my location is on the otherside of the planet. Minimum 250 ping. Why the hell would they do that to the sp?

Because people dismissed every complaint about online SP as hyperbole game activism.
Don't twist my words and apply them to something I never directly endorsed.

125. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:22 Dmitri_M

entr0py wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:15:

I'm on a handcranked internet connection in the centre of the jungle. Is it just a once off login or something more..diabolical?

Diabolical. It's not just a check at the beginning, every moment needs to be authenticated with the server, and if there's too much lag you can experience rubber-banding in single-player. Think of it like an MMO instance with a population of you.

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:15 Dmitri_M

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 15, 2012, 09:22 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2012, 07:40:
Julio wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:41:
Women sleeping their way up the corporate ladder happens all the time. No surprise there.

I think this is probably a dumb enough comment to get banned for.

Don't think.

News Comments > Steam top 10
93. Re: you have my attention May 15, 2012, 08:26 Dmitri_M

Krakum wrote on May 14, 2012, 16:42:
I really wanted to give the DayZ mod a shot, but too many games at the moment.

BTW: I think I read that the whole zombies (AI) running through walls is a limitation of the game engine and can't be fixed. Is that true?

If the engine detects that the AI is stuck against an object or otherwise it might allow the AI to pass through nearby objects briefly just to get them unstuck. It doesn't always happen but if you see it, that's why.

It could also just be lag\de sync, if you're getting hit and the enemy isn't close by.

Clipping generally has been a longstanding "quirk" of the engine.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed
13. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 16:39 Dmitri_M

I hope the reboot features improved jiggle physics simulation.  

News Comments > Steam top 10
85. Re: Steam top 10 May 14, 2012, 15:59 Dmitri_M

RailWizard wrote on May 14, 2012, 13:31:
DayZ should've been built on Frostbite 2. That would've been epic. Then again, I guess destruction would not be so good in a persistent game. lol Welcome to flat land.

The ArmA map is 225 square kilometers. It might not be Frostbite 2 pretty or feature the same destruction, but at that size it's understandable why they might trade detail.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2012, 16:05.

News Comments > Anno 2070 Patched
6. Re: Anno 2070 Patched May 14, 2012, 15:22 Dmitri_M

The devs also produced a good game. So his remark about "fallen in disgrace" is just more game-activist hyperbole.

They are attached to a shit publisher though who lathers on awful DRM. But the game itself, is excellent. I got my money's worth.

News Comments > Anno 2070 Patched
2. Re: Anno 2070 Patched May 14, 2012, 11:18 Dmitri_M

Where is the DLC announcement?  

1793 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo