Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1790 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
10. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:27 Dmitri_M

Flatline wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:25:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:13:
Who plays Free to Play games? I do not pay attention to anything that's free to play. My basic presumption is that they're rubbish titles. Especially the shooters.

So if you produce a high end FPS that cannot compete against COD sales you then decide that if you release it F2P you'll attract those casuals purchasing COD? There's no motivation here beyond trying to appeal to the broadest market possible and making money. I don't doubt that all game companies ultimately want to make cash and keep drawing salaries but F2P smells like inferior product created to appeal to the broadest casual market driven by greed.

Tribes Ascension rules. It's the only F2P game I keep coming back to.

There are exceptions. I don't doubt there are titles that require this finacial model to be made. Tribes is an established brand and most of us would be attention to it F2P or not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:23 Dmitri_M

eunichron wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:20:
You know what happens when you assume...
This isn't a baseless assumption.

5. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:13 Dmitri_M

Who plays Free to Play games? I do not pay attention to anything that's free to play. My basic presumption is that they're rubbish titles. Especially the shooters.

So if you produce a high end FPS that cannot compete against COD sales you then decide that if you release it F2P you'll attract those casuals purchasing COD? There's no motivation here beyond trying to appeal to the broadest market possible and making money. I don't doubt that all game companies ultimately want to make cash and keep drawing salaries but F2P smells like inferior product created to appeal to the broadest casual market driven by greed.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 22:22.

News Comments > Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced
12. Re: Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced Jun 8, 2012, 16:26 Dmitri_M

Yeah, some of the online players are insufferable. The ArmA community is full of wannabe military types. Stress on the "wannabe"..

I only boot this game these days to mess around in the mission editor. It can be incredible lanned with the right people who are interested in fun not procedure. I've never managed to find those people online though.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 18:11.

News Comments > etc, etc.
4. Re: etc, etc. Jun 8, 2012, 02:41 Dmitri_M

necrosis wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:38:
I thought this was common knowledge for years. Used it way back in RvS days.

News Comments > Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced
7. Re: Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced Jun 8, 2012, 01:13 Dmitri_M

NamecaF wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:22:
I want Australian forces. I thought with a development team in Australia and after the British Armed Forces expansion, Australia would definitely get its own expansion... But Czech, meh.
The Australian team is only involved in the military version called VBS. BIS are Czech so they made a Czech addon. I wouldn't read much into this release beyond that..

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 22:27:
Other games cant have any DLC, while this game cant have enough. I hoped they would release DLC like this every few months. German forces, French, Israeli, etc, etc, etc. Maybe with ArmA 3.
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11744
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7956
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15870
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13756

Wildone wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:20:
yea and how the hell are you gonna find a server to play this on? Its all dayZ or some weird arma mod patch version 1.6.1.4.3.2.2.2.2 its splintering the game too much!!!!
You're doing it wrong. ArmA is not your average PC game. You need to find a community and join it. There are many ArmA server communities each have their own preferences as to whether they're running the Betas or some other combination of mods. Based on that information, you then join that server community, they will tell you which mods you need.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 01:26.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
16. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 6, 2012, 23:03 Dmitri_M

"We thought it'd be easy making a quick buck porting this real quick to the PC, but it's turning into actual work *fart, leans forward smells own fart, rubs spiky gelled up hair* but don't worry PC gamers we're going to release it anyhow and putting any effort into it goes against our PC quick buck policy!"  

News Comments > PC Future Soldier This Month
9. Re: PC Future Soldier This Month Jun 6, 2012, 14:13 Dmitri_M

And the butchering of Ghost Recon continues.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight
9. Re: Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight Jun 6, 2012, 06:35 Dmitri_M

I'm talking certain surfaces not emitting particles at all.

Can't stand it when people are down on visual theater and prefer things to be dry. Especially since this is Max Payne a game series driven by unrealistic John Woo style gunplay. I'll take air mortared and explosively launched debris anyday.

5. Re: Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight Jun 6, 2012, 04:26 Dmitri_M

SectorEffector wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 04:05:
is anyone else amazed at Rage's optimization for PC on this? I have high hopes for GTA V
I'm not surprised it runs well. The maps don't have much geometric detail. And I'm convinced the particles systems in MP2 were way more complex and better looking. I recall stuff flying everywhere in the originals, but here things seem eerily static.

1. Re: Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight Jun 6, 2012, 00:41 Dmitri_M

Good. Hopefully I'll be able to run it now with my Wacom tablet service re-enabled

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 5, 2012, 22:39 Dmitri_M

MP3 is a mixed bag. It's not as good as the originals. I want to like it though.

Controls are odd, my character seems to move in 1 to 2 meter increments as animations insist on completing. Half a second delays between certain run-walk crouch-stand transitions. It's better to use a cover system when approaching a corner since the reduced accuracy means if you try to position yourself right on the corner by moving to it you'll often slide past and get shot. Initially I thought this was a Rockstar engine issue rather than a design choice to make the animations visually smooth. I don't think players will mind seeing jumps between animations as a compromise to make the game more responsive though. I remember GTA feeling more responsive though I could be wrong. Maybe the designers only tested the title with a gamepad which perhaps doesn't highlight the response issues as much.
As a result of all this I often find it easier to hang back and camp the AI to death rather than the charging in guns blazing like I'd do in MP1 and MP2. Which is really strange because those titles were so good at it.

The camera has a life of it's own. One minute it's zooming into characters I'm shooting, the next it's popping back and Max is lying in an odd position on the ground. Jarring experience.

As mentioned everywhere way way too many cutscenes. I might have been "playing" for 2 hours but in actuality it's closer to an hour in 1 minute gameplay segments. You don't feel like you're playing levels, rather only the individual shoot-outs. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like to feel like I'm playing a complete map, and I like the bits between shoot outs where I'm exploring and building tension prior to the next shoot out. Just when I start enjoying it CUTSCENE! Some of which are so short I cannot understand why they interrupted the gameplay to begin with. Often they'll suddenly cut to an NPC partner and just show him walking. I'd like to walk too! Rather than watch him walk.. It's unusual playing a shooting game without ever being aware of how many bullets or health I have since the game never let's you rest to check. I've found myself trapped in bullet time with no ammo and the game simply waiting for me to die. Peculiar. Design decision not to have skippeble cutscenes is understandable. If you could skip cutscenes you'd essentially be teleporting between tiny levels each one or two corridors\gangways\alleys long. I notice a loading icon during some of the longer cutscenes. Surely the PC can handle levels larger than this? The geometric detail is on the lowend. I remember some really distinct complete levels in MP1. Ragnarok. Outer entrace, lobby, the dance floor, the bar, going backstage. Their engine or their lead platforms can't handle a single large level? There's one "map" with a stadium which I now realise is essentially a few short areas split with multiple cutscenes. That's pretty sad.

Tony Scott\Man on Fire jump cut compositing effects are nauseating. The designers of this title are clearly frustrated film directors, they must also be about 19 years old and have only started watching films in the past 5 years. Next time use decent films as a reference. Not those that feature 1 second shot lengths and endless freeze frame insets.

Excellent engine graphically. It runs extremely well maxed out on my gaming laptop with a 570m (equivalent to a desktop 560TI). Oddly there seemed to be a reduced amount of particles. It was something the original MP engine was good at but here other than glass or the occasional stack of papers there doesn't seem to be much in the way of flying debris.

Game will not launch if you own a Wacom tablet. You need disable\enable the Wacom's tablet service via administrative tools to get it running.

I still like the Max Payne character, they've kept him close to the original. Though often I sit there watching silly cutscenes making as many jaded remarks as he does wishing they'd end. It's no wonder Max is a boozehound having to stumble through all these abrupt cutscenes.

Overall it seems a really jarring gameplay experience.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2012, 01:28.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 in February 2013
5. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 20:03 Dmitri_M

The announce trailer makes it look like a generic action game. Big booming voices, woman's names being screamed, decidedly non-claustrophobic snow planet and a catchy rock town played during the end title.

That's just the hype trailer though assembled by PR people. The actual game could still be like the original, guess we'll find out in Feb..

News Comments > Arma 3 Specs; Mod Details
20. Re: Arma 3 Specs; Mod Details Jun 4, 2012, 18:02 Dmitri_M

Halo wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 16:36:
PunisherMark wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 15:00:
Have you even played with the latest beta's let alone 1.6 patch?

The change/fix list is staggering and probably 50+ fixes they don't list.

Right as the game sales skyrocket... What a coincidence isn't it.
http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php That's two years worth of beta patches released at least weekly.

The official bug tracker has been active since 2009 with steady contributions by the devs since then. https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis

There's no correlation between sales sky rocketing and bugs suddenly being fixed.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in August
4. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in August Jun 4, 2012, 13:42 Dmitri_M

Leaving bot's out of titles like this is like leaving AI cars out of a racing game. I just take it for granted that they'll be present. Clearly not the trend of the last few years though. Many many years battling Reaperbots, Frogbots in Quake conditioned me to believe a MP game isn't complete unless it has some form of AI opponent.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2012, 13:47.

News Comments > Ground Branch Kickstarter
20. Re: Ground Branch Kickstarter Jun 4, 2012, 12:59 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 10:00:
Techie714 wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:57:
Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:38:
If they're so involved with the military and gubment as they claim it should be asy to secure funding. And the guy is just an artist for pete sake. Definite pass.

Dumbest comment I've read in awhile....

So you don't read what you write at all in that case.

What a lame comeback

Cutter's response is a prime example of when you should just quietly slink away from a thread without saying anything.

News Comments > Arma 3 Specs; Mod Details
13. Re: Arma 3 Specs; Mod Details Jun 4, 2012, 12:56 Dmitri_M

Donkey_Punch wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 11:25:
Techie714 wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 09:27:
like all ARMA games you would be well advised to wait for at least 2 patches in before getting.

More like at least 4 patches but that will take them over a year to release.
ArmA 3's release might be different. There has been active beta testing by the community for over 2 years. http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

All those fixes and changes are likely rolled into the ArmA 3 automatically. Their engine releases are always evolutionary. If ArmA 2 is stable right now (which it is, rock solid) then 3 will be stable at release.

What I find laughable is how the latest E3 videos sell the "day night cycle present in the engine". Yeah, that's been present since 2001. Really nothing new. It's hard for me to believe people are still "discovering" this game considering the engine has been out there for 11 years.

17. Re: Ground Branch Kickstarter Jun 4, 2012, 00:46 Dmitri_M

Prez wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 00:23:
I didn't watch the whole video - does he ever mention what engine the game footage shown was shot in? It looks extremely close to R6, just spiffier. I think I will be donating.
UDK3

14. Re: Ground Branch Kickstarter Jun 3, 2012, 23:48 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:38:
If they're so involved with the military and gubment as they claim it should be asy to secure funding. And the guy is just an artist for pete sake. Definite pass.
The military does not pay for "fun" games. "Tactical shooters" are aimed at gamers. The military does not care about tac shooters, at all. They don't even require the sort of realism or attention to detail in this genre because...they can just go to a staging area or a warzone and do the real thing.
If the military gave financing to this it'd have a contract 4000 pages long and only be released in 10 years time.

The titles aimed at the military are boring as hell and don't feature anything a gamer would want.

American's Army was an exception but it was designed as a recruitment tool, and that series is essentially dead. No funding, son.

I love tac shooters but..I have zero interest in the military. I know nothing about guns. I just like challenging fps titles where you die quick and the tension is high in coop cause you've got to play carefully.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2012, 00:05.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 3, 2012, 20:15 Dmitri_M

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 19:54:
J wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 18:53:
Token DayZ comment. Just had fun covering two teammates in Elektro, from the hills, with my trusty sniper rifle

Want to get into the game, but I just can't get the controls down....I will keep trying.
Just a hint from a long time BIS engine player.

Under game options, put the aiming deadzone slider to zero.

Think of the head as being separate from your gun, as it is with an actual person. Not that your gun "is your head" as with most shooters. Try playing and holding the ALT key when you want to quickly look around (your head will turn but your body will keep it's orientation ). If you do this for a while you'll eventually catch on to how their system works.

1790 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo