Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1800 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Endless Space Beta
6. Re: Endless Space Beta Jun 13, 2012, 12:43 Dmitri_M

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:23:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:06:
It's good but a tad thin. It reminds me of Sins of a Solar Empire in that respect. Quick to pick up and play but not a great deal beneath the surface. SOSE being a Homeworld-like 4x lite, Endless Space a Galciv-like 4x lite.

It is very polished and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth though.

Agreed on the Galciv part but I wouldn't compare SoSE to Homeworld. Those are two vastly separate games in terms of style, gameplay and purpose. The only thing they really have in common is the theme of space.
I was speaking broadly. The visual style of the battles in SOSE, controlling individual ships reminding me of a simplified Homeworld combat gameplay. Compared to Endless space which has a simple card system for battles and more of a focus on star system exploration..which feels like a simplified Galciv.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Endless Space Beta
4. Re: Endless Space Beta Jun 13, 2012, 12:06 Dmitri_M

It's good but a tad thin. It reminds me of Sins of a Solar Empire in that respect. Quick to pick up and play but not a great deal beneath the surface. SOSE being a Homeworld-like 4x lite, Endless Space a Galciv-like 4x lite.

It is very polished and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth though.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 12, 2012, 23:11 Dmitri_M

Too bad EA own the rights to AC.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 12, 2012, 00:36 Dmitri_M

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 23:59:
And someone who refuses to use it is... not going to relevant to the world for much longer.
There are a great deal of good jobs that don't involve sitting behind a PC. I work with computers daily and I spend some time afterhours browsing sites related to my hobbies. But I'll be damned if I think spending time online is the only thing that makes someone relevant. I tend to make friends with people who don't spend any time online. They're generally more interesting to be around (less cat jokes and they're grounded) and seem to be way more active and actually do things in the real world.

I'm 30 and I've spent 15 years behind computers mostly due to work. I am actively looking at a total career change and my one priority is doing something that doesn't involve sitting behind a PC getting forwards of kittens from co-workers.

The internet is an incredible invention, but I find it really hard to drop that much hyperbole and positivity describing it.

I love it when it's useful. I hate it when it consumes normal social interactions. Yeah I don't have a facebook account.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2012, 04:04 Dmitri_M

Was just gonna mention The Two Jakes but was beaten to it.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2012, 21:45 Dmitri_M

IGN is gobbling up a lot of old sites. Voodoo3D is finally done too. :\  

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
64. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 19:25 Dmitri_M

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:21:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:13:
Who plays Free to Play games? I do not pay attention to anything that's free to play. My basic presumption is that they're rubbish titles. Especially the shooters.

Tribes Ascend is not rubbish.
When did mentioning "F2P" become a muster to the Tribes fanboys to rear their pimpled heads in defense. I SAID earlier in this thread that Tribes might be good and that exceptions obviously exist. Some of you need it spelled out letter by letter?

37. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:27 Dmitri_M

Jerykk wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:51:
There are exceptions. I don't doubt there are titles that require this finacial model to be made. Tribes is an established brand and most of us would be attention to it F2P or not.

Tribes has always been niche, even when compared to UT and Quake. Considering that Quake and UT are now considered niche, that makes Tribes even more niche. If Hi-Rez had released Tribes: Ascend as a $20-30 game, it would have a tiny community. See games like Shattered Horizon, Red Orchestra 2, Nuclear Dawn, Lead & Gold, etc, for good examples of what happens when you release a relatively obscure, multiplayer-only shooter that isn't F2P. That's why I fear for Natural Selection 2. It may be a great game but they're charging $35 for it. Not many people are going to spend $35 to try it out.
Yeah I agree. That is essentially what I was saying. I understand why the Tribes guys went with F2P.

There are a lot of extremely generic titles being developed as F2P that have no heritage to build on. They seem only to exist to squeeze money out of casual gamers.

The no single player thing mentioned earlier is spot on too.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 00:32.

News Comments > FTL Closed Beta This Month
24. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 23:46 Dmitri_M

To be fair to the FTL guys, they originally only asked for 10 000. They got 200 000. For 10 000 I'm sure they never expected to upgrade the graphics.  

News Comments > Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage
54. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 23:42 Dmitri_M

By the number of comments here if ID released a great Doom follow-up we'd all be snapping it up. It's sad really.

10. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:27 Dmitri_M

Flatline wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:25:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:13:
Who plays Free to Play games? I do not pay attention to anything that's free to play. My basic presumption is that they're rubbish titles. Especially the shooters.

So if you produce a high end FPS that cannot compete against COD sales you then decide that if you release it F2P you'll attract those casuals purchasing COD? There's no motivation here beyond trying to appeal to the broadest market possible and making money. I don't doubt that all game companies ultimately want to make cash and keep drawing salaries but F2P smells like inferior product created to appeal to the broadest casual market driven by greed.

Tribes Ascension rules. It's the only F2P game I keep coming back to.

There are exceptions. I don't doubt there are titles that require this finacial model to be made. Tribes is an established brand and most of us would be attention to it F2P or not.

8. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:23 Dmitri_M

eunichron wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:20:
You know what happens when you assume...
This isn't a baseless assumption.

5. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:13 Dmitri_M

So if you produce a high end FPS that cannot compete against COD sales you then decide that if you release it F2P you'll attract those casuals purchasing COD? There's no motivation here beyond trying to appeal to the broadest market possible and making money. I don't doubt that all game companies ultimately want to make cash and keep drawing salaries but F2P smells like inferior product created to appeal to the broadest casual market driven by greed.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 22:22.

News Comments > Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced
12. Re: Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced Jun 8, 2012, 16:26 Dmitri_M

Yeah, some of the online players are insufferable. The ArmA community is full of wannabe military types. Stress on the "wannabe"..

I only boot this game these days to mess around in the mission editor. It can be incredible lanned with the right people who are interested in fun not procedure. I've never managed to find those people online though.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 18:11.

News Comments > etc, etc.
4. Re: etc, etc. Jun 8, 2012, 02:41 Dmitri_M

necrosis wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:38:
I thought this was common knowledge for years. Used it way back in RvS days.

News Comments > Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced
7. Re: Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic Announced Jun 8, 2012, 01:13 Dmitri_M

NamecaF wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:22:
I want Australian forces. I thought with a development team in Australia and after the British Armed Forces expansion, Australia would definitely get its own expansion... But Czech, meh.
The Australian team is only involved in the military version called VBS. BIS are Czech so they made a Czech addon. I wouldn't read much into this release beyond that..

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 22:27:
Other games cant have any DLC, while this game cant have enough. I hoped they would release DLC like this every few months. German forces, French, Israeli, etc, etc, etc. Maybe with ArmA 3.
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11744
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7956
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15870
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13756

Wildone wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:20:
yea and how the hell are you gonna find a server to play this on? Its all dayZ or some weird arma mod patch version 1.6.1.4.3.2.2.2.2 its splintering the game too much!!!!
You're doing it wrong. ArmA is not your average PC game. You need to find a community and join it. There are many ArmA server communities each have their own preferences as to whether they're running the Betas or some other combination of mods. Based on that information, you then join that server community, they will tell you which mods you need.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 01:26.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
16. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 6, 2012, 23:03 Dmitri_M

"We thought it'd be easy making a quick buck porting this real quick to the PC, but it's turning into actual work *fart, leans forward smells own fart, rubs spiky gelled up hair* but don't worry PC gamers we're going to release it anyhow and putting any effort into it goes against our PC quick buck policy!"  

News Comments > PC Future Soldier This Month
9. Re: PC Future Soldier This Month Jun 6, 2012, 14:13 Dmitri_M

And the butchering of Ghost Recon continues.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight
9. Re: Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight Jun 6, 2012, 06:35 Dmitri_M

I'm talking certain surfaces not emitting particles at all.

Can't stand it when people are down on visual theater and prefer things to be dry. Especially since this is Max Payne a game series driven by unrealistic John Woo style gunplay. I'll take air mortared and explosively launched debris anyday.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight
5. Re: Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight Jun 6, 2012, 04:26 Dmitri_M

SectorEffector wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 04:05:
is anyone else amazed at Rage's optimization for PC on this? I have high hopes for GTA V
I'm not surprised it runs well. The maps don't have much geometric detail. And I'm convinced the particles systems in MP2 were way more complex and better looking. I recall stuff flying everywhere in the originals, but here things seem eerily static.

1800 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo