Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1769 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Ground Branch Kickstarter
1. Re: Ground Branch Kickstarter Jun 3, 2012, 15:21 Dmitri_M

Unlike the other tac shooter kickstarter this guy has credentials that go all the way back to the originals of the genre.

I've known about Ground Branch for years. I'm happy to donate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 23:45 Dmitri_M

Sepharo wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 23:37:
Most games can't hold my attention these days, even ones I enjoy, so putting a 9 hour session is pretty rare for me.
Good sign. I'm the same these days.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 21:40 Dmitri_M

This cutscene thing is making me want to cancel my order. It sounds like a gamepad aid.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2012, 22:12.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 12:22 Dmitri_M

Aero wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 11:43:
I think I figured out what I don't like about the cut scenes. It's not really the frequency or length that's the problem, it's that they usually end by dropping you into the middle of a firefight. Unlike in previous games, there's no option to approach a room full of bad guys, assess the situation and come up with a plan of attack, which was kind of the fun part...
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. In the previous titles I'd always chill a bit reloading pretending I was menace cool before charging in

How often does this happen, surely not every gunfight? There must be some uninterrupted exploration?

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Confirmed
14. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 2, 2012, 02:11 Dmitri_M

Fantaz wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 00:18:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 00:02:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:52:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 18:39:
Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 15:32:
it totally ruins the element of isolation which provides a lot of the tension in the first place.
Yeah the leaked shots make it look like a straight up action game. The characters look less like engineers and much more like soldiers.

Dead Space 3: Army of Two?

Funny, but sad... because it's true. We know EA all too well.
Yeah my emoticon was more "waaaaaaaa" than "hahaha".

News Comments > Transformers: Fall of Cybertron PC Edition Coming
5. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron PC Edition Coming Jun 2, 2012, 00:22 Dmitri_M

Fantaz wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:56:
In a video I was taking a look at their offices, they have all their computers together like a lan party with no privacy walls between them, and they're all bunched up all in one big room. Doesn't that get tiresome after a while, to develop games like that? I would definitely need my privacy.
I would have killed for a cubicle while I worked for a game dev. Our room was positioned near the office toilet. Nerds piss directly into the water, no one told them it'd be quieter if they did it down the side of the bowl. Damn nerds.

12. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 2, 2012, 00:02 Dmitri_M

Fantaz wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:52:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 18:39:
it totally ruins the element of isolation which provides a lot of the tension in the first place.
Yeah the leaked shots make it look like a straight up action game. The characters look less like engineers and much more like soldiers.

Dead Space 3: Army of Two?

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 1, 2012, 23:49 Dmitri_M

Bumpy wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 23:32:
Word is this has the Metal Gear disease where you get to sit and watch lots of cut-scenes.
Yeah they've apparently Rockstar'd the game with GTA like slickly produced yet completely pointless cutscenes. Think Tony Scott films. Criminal is cool, bro. Cool and totally fucking superficial.

The "charming" over the top modern noir story (or really kliched depending on how you look at it) feel of the original is gone.

Though where it counts - the gun play - it's apparently as good as ever. I'll be picking this up. On DVD though. On my current connection it'll take 10 full days to download.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2012, 00:01.

News Comments > Dishonored Gameplay Trailer
12. Re: Dishonored Gameplay Trailer Jun 1, 2012, 22:32 Dmitri_M

Looks really interesting.  

9. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 21:27 Dmitri_M

As long as the third is as good as the first and second then it's fine. Character progression is somewhat meaningless in the Dead Space world though. The story was threadbare. They could easily find a way to have him back on some ship floating around alone.

This is the only current game series I've cared about over the past few years.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 21:33.

5. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 18:39 Dmitri_M

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
30. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 13:53 Dmitri_M

Krovven wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:47:
then it would appear that all games, devs, pubs, and all their varying business practices are all shit and would need to burn alive for their sins against our children.
Lighten up, Krovven

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
26. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 13:36 Dmitri_M

So the auction house allows you to buy items in game? For what purpose? So that you can skip finding those items yourself?

I've never played any of the Diablo titles (or any MMO). But this mechanic sounds strange. Would I play Jagged Alliance and go online and purchase the best weapon right at the start of the game?

News Comments > StarForge Demo
12. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 08:38 Dmitri_M

buzzkill begin/
I find it hard to muster any hyperbole about a sandbox title where I move around 3D objects for fun as the second coming of pc gaming.
Maybe I've spent too much time moving around 3D objects in CG apps for a living. Never touched Minecraft or that Gary's mod either.
/end buzzkill

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
39. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:27 Dmitri_M

I'm currently reading Market Forces. It'd make for a helluva good American Psycho near future sci-fi like Carmageddon film. I picture it shot like Children of Men.
He's even built in the product placement with the crazy armoured BMWs and SAAB cars the execs use to off each other while getting their "promotions".

37. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:21 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 16:37:
And Morgan has done some game writing, including Crysis 2 and Syndicate.
Too bad they didn't structure their stories around his ideas rather than only using his writing skills. Good on him for getting the dough though, it just sucks for us.

35. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 16:34 Dmitri_M

As long as the game mechanics are good and the atmosphere oozes cyberpunk then I don't see how they can fuck this up.

Games are much more about mechanics and atmosphere and hinting at the deeper meaning of the plot through atmosphere than outright story telling. It's something RPG nerds seem to miss and why I could never get involved in any RPG discussions without falling a sleep as people obsess over stupid minute plot elements.

Saying Deus EX had "huge impact" is just peculiar to me. Are you sitting there oh shucks'ing at the games dialog and the twists and turns of the plot? I liked it, but I don't recall any really awesome standout moments. The Bladerunner point and click adventure, where you could (for no particular reason) walk out onto the balcony of your apartment building and look at the view and just experience the atmosphere. That's something game devs can easily get across through visuals than reams of story that end up being walls of dialog and text.

Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon with a driven central character (who really wouldn't be out of place in a film nior or in a hard bitten action film) and the great sci-fi on the periphery. That'd work well for a game. Better than some of the older cyberpunk tomes that work as books but would be deadly boring as games.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II DLC & Patch Next Month
13. Re: Crusader Kings II DLC & Patch Next Month May 31, 2012, 16:14 Dmitri_M

Zadig wrote on May 30, 2012, 17:28:
RPS said nice things about it, but I tend to spend as much time editing Paradox game files as playing them. The $12.49 plentiful Paradox pack on Amazon has suddenly got me interested in this.

I was very surprised that I got into Crusader Kings as I find medieval history to be incredibly dry and mundane. The game mechanics are just that good.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week?
43. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 31, 2012, 12:35 Dmitri_M

Oh if only this could be modded.  

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
38. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 15:07 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:42:
avianflu wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:16:
I'll never forget installing the demo of Doom3 and realizing how behind the times it was in every possible way that a game can be.

MONSTERCLOSET!

you neglected to mention that other D3 monster:

MONSTER-APPEAR-OUT-OF-THIN-AIR!

1769 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo