Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1830 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Reznor Writing Black Ops II Theme
38. Re: Reznor Writing Black Ops II Theme Jul 10, 2012, 17:49 Dmitri_M

Reznor and the other musicians involved with NIN over the years are too talented for NIN to be a mere industrial band. NIN isn't industrial and as someone who long ago outgrew listening to outright industrial bands, that's a good thing.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 17:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Reznor Writing Black Ops II Theme Jul 10, 2012, 16:57 Dmitri_M

mch wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:40:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:15:
Last worthy nin album was like in 2000 or something, guess he got lazy

While there was a decent gap between The Fragile (~2000) and With Teeth (~2005), the amount of music he has put out and the amount of tours he's done since then makes your "lazy" claim absolutely laughable (regardless of whether you find his recent work "worthy").

After the 1990 to 1997 stint of crazy awesome albums, endless touring, creating great soundtracks for films and scoring a legendary game like Quake..I can live with the post 2000 slowdown. The guy somehow had a hand in much of my favourite entertainment as a teenager.

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Jul 10, 2012, 15:08 Dmitri_M

I like any sort of sandbox management title, especially if it's 2D. Prison architect looks interesting. I'm sure Introversion can pull it off, though I guess they better after shelving Subversion.

What a poorly written preview. The cartoony in-game graphics "conflict" with the gritty still frame cutscenes? The writer has no imagination. Welcome to gamers circa 2012, good job phoning that in demonstrating your lack of interest in something not featuring flashy 3D graphics.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 15:13.

News Comments > DCS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases
5. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 10, 2012, 15:00 Dmitri_M

Shataan wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 14:16:
They gotta quit the milking of the stuff they already released. Just move onto ARMA 3!!!!!! I loved the earlier stuff, but right now it is fugly to look at. lol
I think you have your devs mixed up.

25. Re: Reznor Writing Black Ops II Theme Jul 10, 2012, 14:10 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:55:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:51:
This track is just a pay day for Reznor. Anyone remember the Deep track from Tomb Raider in 2001. He's not above taking some cash to stick his name on something.

You can't really equate writing a theme to licensing an already released song, especially when one decision may not have even been his.
Deep was written for Tomb Raider. This track will be written for the game. I know you like to get into loopy semantic arguments but in this instance I don't see the point. He is creating music for a commercial product. I've got no problem with that, it is what is.

23. Re: Reznor Writing Black Ops II Theme Jul 10, 2012, 13:51 Dmitri_M

This track is just a pay day for Reznor. Anyone remember the Deep track from Tomb Raider in 2001. He's not above taking some cash to stick his name on something.

At this point NIN has run it's course. Reznor seems content to make looping tracks with little in the way of climax, or conventional rock tunes like The Hand that Feeds. I still love some of the newer music. Ghosts, and the recent soundtrack are excellent, but what I wouldn't give for another Happiness in Slavery or Reptile..

Broken, PHM, TDS are albums I will always be able to go back to. I managed to catch him live in 2009 (prior to that my remote elephant infested location prevented seeing them in concert but I made sure to catch them on the good-bye tour). Was pretty high up on my "bucket list" of shit to do.

News Comments > New ZDoom and ODAMEX
9. Re: New ZDoom and ODAMEX Jul 9, 2012, 11:03 Dmitri_M

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 07:39:
....i feel sorry for you guys
why. little one?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Omnicorp teaser Jul 9, 2012, 00:40 Dmitri_M

That teaser commercial was bland. In comparison to the zany over the top Omnicorp commercials in the original films. I realise it ain't the early 90s anymore but I hope they keep things at least a little over the top. I'm not sure I'd buy that for a dollar.  

News Comments > New ZDoom and ODAMEX
3. Re: New ZDoom and ODAMEX Jul 8, 2012, 21:31 Dmitri_M

deqer wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 19:40:
GZDoom+BrutalDoom = omg.
I hadn't heard of the Brutal mod. Just checked out some videos, looks excellent. Love the fatalities.

id games will never die

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Jul 8, 2012, 20:56 Dmitri_M

Yeah I played it a while and I came away thinking I should reinstall Galciv and play the real deal.  

News Comments > KAOS Studios Postmortem
15. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 7, 2012, 21:59 Dmitri_M

A big cathartic crash would be nice. Don't see it happening though. Game publishers will just stop making high budget titles and simplify and move to platforms like mobile that are profitable. This process is slow and has being going on for years.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 7, 2012, 20:27 Dmitri_M

Over 3 Billion searches on Google each day.

It's me. Bored at work I type lurid things into google images with safe search disabled to get a hit of the naughty to keep my mind alive till five.

Sometimes I'm required to use image search to locate reference and it's always a bonus when jiggly parts appear while searching for "tractor tire photo".

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2012, 20:32.

News Comments > KAOS Studios Postmortem
7. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 7, 2012, 17:18 Dmitri_M

I've been in a situation as a graphics "professional" with about 8 years experience working for modders who lucked into graphics jobs (by simply being present at the start of the company, most earning next to nothing prior to the formation of an actual company and "proper" staff being hired on) having little to no prior experience in a professional environment. Patience test. They don't understand the need to communicate and continued working as though they were still alone somewhere modding and not in an office.. I can't tell you how fun it is having a manager refuse to communicate with his subordinates in person, preferring Skype instant messages. Even though we were all sitting together in a small room. He'd also have "no skype" days where we "couldn't" communicate with him.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2012, 17:31.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Jul 7, 2012, 02:12 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 14:09:
I don't feel like every game has to be flashy and have a multi million budget. I get just as much entertainment and fun for smaller games.

And I can easily see how people would say "boy oh boy oh boy this is a return to gaming of old screw the publishers!" because that's how it used to be. There was nothing wrong with it then, and there's nothing wrong with it taking a turn that way (or wanting it to take a turn that way) now.

I read your post without making any presumptions regarding the yaw, pitch, height above sea level or azimuth - of your nose.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jul 6, 2012, 12:54 Dmitri_M

ASeven wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:55:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:49:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:41:
This whole indie gaming is the salvation of gaming is overblown. Most are too simplistic. Unless you consider remakes of old arcade games to be a return to early 2000s late 90s gaming.

I imagine you sticking your nose up in the air, as I read that...

Yeap. Sorry Dmitri but you sounded like a bonafide hipster just then.

That's how I feel about most of the guys saying World of Goo, Super Meat Boy and Crayon Physics equal Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenshield or Quake. I know that's a terrible comparison but it's the first thing that pops into my head when I read people claiming these small new titles are the second coming.

Some exceptions I can think of are Mount and Blade which I got a lot of value out of, hmm, maybe Frozen Synapse? I guess ArmA is indie too..Galciv?. But seeing a little indie title showing up on steam get comments sections flooded with "boy oh boy oh boy this is a return to gaming of old screw the publishers!" is laughable.

How does saying I want good high budget titles make me a hipster? I want a return to large publishers with budgets who give a damn about producing good AAA titles. I'm not arguing for the "little man" while wearing a sideways green commie hat and playing something simplistic stupid on my ipad.

Some of the kickstarter projects with their larger budgets show promise as having real depth being more than just indie platformers\puzzle games.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 13:04.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jul 6, 2012, 11:41 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:10:
When people say "indies are more popular than ever before" can we conclude that they weren't alive in the 90s?

Doom? Quake? Duke Nukem? All indies.

Why are indies popular again? Distribution makes them easy to sell, pricing and humble bundles make them easy to buy, rudimentary graphics (in almost all cases) make them easy to make, and mobile/tablet has made simple games incredibly popular (which often turns into a gateway, for devs, to somewhat deeper games.)
This whole indie gaming is the salvation of gaming is overblown. Most are too simplistic. Unless you consider remakes of old arcade games to be a return to early 2000s late 90s gaming.

News Comments > Scrolls Alpha Beginning
4. Re: Scrolls Alpha Beginning Jul 5, 2012, 23:43 Dmitri_M

So this is HOMM battle screens only without any of the exploration?  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2012, 22:19 Dmitri_M

I think they care far too much for gamers. Watering everything down for a target audience of lowest skill casuals. They'd need to go back to only caring about the games, taking risks and innovating without fear of alienating people who lack imagination.  

News Comments > Wargame - European Escalation Free DLC
8. Re: Wargame - European Escalation Free DLC Jul 5, 2012, 17:19 Dmitri_M

Quboid wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 16:23:
Sorry to be a bore, but what DRM does this have? I seem to remember it being on my shitlist because of DRM but I'm not sure.
It's a "mild" form of Starforce. Doesn't access drivers or anything low level. It's just for the activations via web. Had no problems with it myself. It comes with a deactivation utility to gain back an activation if you want to uninstall.

Good PC RTS coupled with a near triple AAA quality engine + loads of free content in the patches. How often does that happen these days.

News Comments > Hotline Miami Announced
11. Re: Hotline Miami Announced Jul 4, 2012, 13:55 Dmitri_M

Looks dark and moody. I like.  

1830 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo