Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1844 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 05:18 Dmitri_M

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 18:31:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 08:39:
I'm selective with what I post using my real name. The only thing I have under it online is a very mundane flickr account where I post safe travel photos that I'm happy for HR people related to future employers to find. It's better for them to find SOMETHING googling you, rather than no presence at all..

When you have a common name like mine, its a meaningless concept to be able to possibly find something about me on Google, as you'd have to dig many pages in remote hopes of finding the one unique me. Facebook too
Yeah my name is unusual enough that I'm pretty sure I'm the only one out there with it :\ Certainly am from a google search perspective.

Hippie parents combining a first name that has no historical or cultural reason for being paired with my last name, which is unusual enough in and of itself.

I have a friend with an extremely common name who is impossible to find online by the sheer number of duplicates out there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2012, 01:51 Dmitri_M

I have never visited PA. I'm not sure why people do.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 08:39 Dmitri_M

I'm selective with what I post using my real name. The only thing I have under it online is a very mundane flickr account where I post safe travel photos that I'm happy for HR people related to future employers to find. It's better for them to find SOMETHING googling you, rather than no presence at all..

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2012, 08:50.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 16:07 Dmitri_M

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 15:05:
Oh give me a break, Microsoft is the 800 lb gorilla in this case and it is absurd to charge an indie 40k+ for a patch.

The only bad guy here is Microsoft as the developer made the game exclusive for their box.

The problem here is drawing the line at one patch, when Microsoft needs to be a bit more flexible. If the game was on Steam it would have been No issue at all.

I have no sympathy for any writer that tries to make out Microsoft the good guy in any way shape or form. He is an IDIOT!
Are your thick black rimmed glasses prescription or purely cosmetic?

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2012, 13:41 Dmitri_M

PHJF wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 13:06:
All that clamoring paid off I guess, $18 (wow what a deal!) for ARMA. Still too much for the privilege of alpha testing a mod, if you ask me.
What does PHJF stand for anyhow? Is it "whine" in Zulu?

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 21, 2012, 11:03 Dmitri_M

Purchasing firearms is too easy in the US, and bad things happen.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 21, 2012, 09:39 Dmitri_M

That's what happens when script kiddies think they're artists.  

News Comments > Fez Ports Coming?
27. Re: Fez Ports Coming? Jul 20, 2012, 10:11 Dmitri_M

I have no idea. I was talking specifically about those thick black rimmed ones this Fish character wears not glasses in general. It's a red flag. Like a tan on a guido. Or a sleeveless tshirt on a jock showing off roided arms. In creative settings the black rimmed glasses say "yes friends I am slightly different and special; so very creative". They will often make an appearance when the wearer has been promoted to a decision making position.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2012, 10:17.

News Comments > Fez Ports Coming?
25. Re: Fez Ports Coming? Jul 19, 2012, 23:55 Dmitri_M

Never trust a grown man with black rimmed glasses who was born after 1970.

Especially if they work in a creative field.

They're usually try hards with a penchant for overcompensation.

News Comments > Steam Sale Day Seven
25. Re: Steam Sale Day Seven Jul 18, 2012, 23:38 Dmitri_M

Jumped on the Total War Mega Pack. Great for me since I skipped all Total War titles between Shogun and Shogun 2.  

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 22:55 Dmitri_M

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 20:31:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 20:10:
When you're looking for work as a game dev, the metacritic score of the titles you've worked on effects how HR recruiters view your CV.

Yeah that's half the problem. Especially when publishers can taint it, users can bomb it. Absofuckinguseless.
Yeah you can just hear the recruiter's opinion of you wither when your niche hardcore PC title with "74%" comes up. ITS NOT 90% OR MULTIPLATFORM!!!

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 20:10 Dmitri_M

When you're looking for work as a game dev, the metacritic score of the titles you've worked on effects how HR recruiters view your CV.  

News Comments > On Sale
75. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 15:18 Dmitri_M

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 08:49:
I know some other people have offered in these steam sale threads, I'll offer too. If you paypal me the funds, I'll gift you it. The deal is over in 2 hours so you'll need to hurry.
Thanks for the offer, I convinced a US co-worker to gift it to me before the offer ended

News Comments > On Sale
56. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 07:04 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 03:05:
Wow, one I voted for finally won. LA Noire complete for $5. That's a great deal, for those that don't have it.

I wanted it!

I voted for it!!

It won!!!

I had my credit card ready!!!!

And then it wasn't available for sale to my region.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 07:09.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
59. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 14, 2012, 20:32 Dmitri_M

NKD wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 00:04:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 19:29:
This isn't a criticism, rather an observation on the nitty gritty realities and how awesome it must feel for these guys getting their projects funded.

As a programmer with zero artistic skills, I'm thinking I might actually give a small Kickstarter game project a shot. Create the game itself, put together a reasonably slick presentation, then just KS a small amount to pay for some better art and audio to be created. It's going to have to wait until after my upcoming move though.

Yeah I'm on the 3D art end and after years of jumping between companies, never staying long enough to be promoted into a managerial position I've realised the only real progression I'll be able to achieve is if I go it alone. Now just to come up with an idea I'd like to produce that makes it worth while giving up a stable income..

News Comments > Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access?
11. Re: Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access? Jul 14, 2012, 16:27 Dmitri_M

Techie714 wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:54:
Apparently the only guy that thought BF3 was awesome...checking in.....
I liked it too. I got two months of gaming out of it then stopped satisfied. That's about as long as I played BF2. At the time I thought BF2 was a dumbed down Operation Flashpoint, and I played way more OFP though I still enjoyed BF2 for what it was. So I don't get the people complaining about BF3. How different is it really from BF2? There must be some nuance to this hatred that I'm just missing.

I can see complaints about the maps be valid. But on the whole, what alternative to BF3 exists right now?

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Jul 14, 2012, 16:22 Dmitri_M

To anyone waiting for Steam to reduce ArmA's price to Amazon's levels, don't. It's better to buy ArmA off Amazon since it's independent of Steam. ArmA's modding and patching is more complicated than most games, it's simpler having a copy of the game that's separate from Steam.  

News Comments > Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE
23. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 13:11 Dmitri_M

It's amusing how posters here presume he was booted out. It's likely he did leave on his own volition. Or if they decided not to renew his contract because a SP component wasn't required, I bet they're sending him on his way with a great reference. Companies don't operate like internet forums "YOU SUCK LEAVE JUSTICE IS SERVED FOR GAMERS EVERYWHERE!". Only on the internet do people think that happens

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 05:44:
But who plays BF3 or BC2 for the SP ... it makes no sense. These games are 100% true MP games, all SP is just going to be some superficial crap no matter who does it.... Heck look at COD and it's whack-a-mole SP , at least compared to that BC2 was hilarious and BF3 was pretty epic.

I played BF3 till level 50 on MP then stopped. Didn't once try the SP component. I completely forgot it even had a SP component till the posts in this comments section reminded me..

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:39:
Ledge wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:22:
the reaperbot in quake, gave you a run for your money.

I forgot about the reaper bot, good call. Also the Omicron bot was pretty good too if I remember correctly.
Both great bots. The current two best are Frogbot and Frikbot. They have waypoint maps for nearly every custom Quake map out there. Playing Frog on Aerowalk it feels like you're playing against a human, really lifelike.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Jul 13, 2012, 20:33 Dmitri_M

Orogogus wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 19:09:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 16:54:
They need to simply stop making these "Gratuitous" games and go with something else. They have a reputation for mediocrity that will be all but impossible to overcome. Wipe the slate and start over.

Isn't this only the second game with the Gratuitous moniker? I think there was only Space Battles and now this.

I believe his post to be Cliffski bait.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
51. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 19:29 Dmitri_M

Kickstarters for video games are an incredible racket.

If you have the programming, design or art talent to produce video games professionally yet you're stuck in a cubicle somewhere under some dumb lead or manager, it becomes a job like any other.

Kickstart a project and you get a couple of thousand people to pay your salary without having to deal with them on a day to day basis? Fantastic. Your boss\"investor" at a distance over the internet rather than two cubicles over? Tremendous.

This isn't a criticism, rather an observation on the nitty gritty realities and how awesome it must feel for these guys getting their projects funded.

1844 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo