Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1768 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy
11. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:48 Dmitri_M

I had an interview a while back at a F2P dev. During the generic "ask the prospective employer questions to show your interest in the position" I asked about their F2P business model. In a positive vague way. The guy instantly became real defensive and went on about "long term strategy to remain in business" as though they were always just breaking even and not all that confident in what they're doing.

Look at the MMO market. It can be lucrative. If you're WOW. Everything else is flash in the pan. F2P is throwaway gaming. I cannot see many of these titles lasting longer than a few months until the next gimmick F2P title comes along. Who are they planning to addict into their "longterm" cashcow? Poor teenagers with enough time on their hands to grind away in mp? Exactly the sorts of people who get bored quickly and move on.

The major devs going f2p are trying to cash in on some elusive hard to predict casual market of gamers while dropping the core gamers looking for good SP experiences. Why not spend less money on graphics, aim to be profitable at 500 000 to 1 million sales rather than gambling on shallow games with broad appeal that may or may not sell 5 million copies.

And yes, Tribes f2p is good and I realise there are exceptions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
47. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 11:49 Dmitri_M

TheEmissary wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:12:
A lot of people want and will pay the extra premium for the x86 tablets because they aren't confined solely to the walled garden and can run standard software from the back catalog.
That's a very limited market. Unless MS are happy selling this device only to a niche community of tech geeks. There isn't a real tablet market. It's all Ipad. I have single digit IQ relatives who are about as tech savvy as a garden hose cavorting about with Ipads excitedly. MS's latest OS is rock solid and the BSOD meme is played out, and inaccurate, but the "ha ha bsod" BS is taken as fact amongst casual tech users. The comparisons to the Xbox, that MS can sell this at a loss are forgetting that unlike the Xbox there are no games to make money off of, no long term gaming community to build. Can't compare a console to a gadget like this.

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
24. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 01:44 Dmitri_M

Unless the features state "It's an Ipad" I'm not sure it'll sell.  

News Comments > Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer
8. Re: Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer Jun 18, 2012, 12:52 Dmitri_M

I class the action as "survival" too since the character moves somewhat slowly and needs to kill enemies precisely otherwise they'll quickly overwhelm him. Compared to most shooters these days the action is tough and the character handicapped by good design choices.
Which is what makes the insta-roll added in DS3 excuse the pun a bad move.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 03:45 Dmitri_M

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 23:40:
i wonder why you insiders arent on the board of directors? youve got all the history and facts, dude NEEDS you!
could the neighbors hear you through the 2 meter thick concrete of your mom's basement, you sick evil fuck.

News Comments > Underrail Unveiled
2. Re: Underrail Unveiled Jun 18, 2012, 00:05 Dmitri_M

try upping your meds dosage  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
27. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 10:05 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 09:57:
This is what always pisses me off about this industry. I bought Vista HP 64 bit when it came out to be on board with the 64 bit movement that was going to revolutionize gaming. Still waiting on that.
Yeah 64bit gaming is near non-existant. Though a 64-bit OS does allow for much improved memory management generally so your 32-bit apps will at least run smoother and perhaps crash a little less.

64bit for general applications is fantastic. I could never go back to using 32bit Photoshop\CG apps.

23. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 07:50 Dmitri_M

Yeah I agree, but I'm looking at it from their viewpoint. Not mine or yours. I can see them justifying the use of only 4GB. The concerns of PC gamers have no relevance to MS and their console roadmap.

I'd prefer to see a console on par with my desktop but they're not about to add 24GB of RAM. No game can utilise that and since I highly doubt the next consoles will be 64bit I can see them sticking 4gig in there.

21. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 07:34 Dmitri_M

4GB ram sounds fine. 99% of PC titles are 32bit and cannot use more than between 1.2GB and 2GB at a time. I guess it depends how much dedicated video memory the console's GPU has and how much is shared with system.  

15. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 04:07 Dmitri_M

Slashman wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 02:55:
Oh...and Skyrim sold like crap on the PC too, didn't it?
Your game of exceptions is a losing one.

13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 01:23 Dmitri_M

Measuring these specs against PC hardware is nice for those of us that care. The reality is MS is only measuring against the previous generation of consoles since that's where the game sales are high.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2012, 01:40.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer
1. Re: Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer Jun 16, 2012, 05:00 Dmitri_M

Seems much more action orientated than the previous two. Isaac can do a gymnastic roll now in his heavy engineers suit! The human soldier enemies seem straight from a generic shooter.

Since the coop takes place in the same missions as the SP I imagine the pacing overall is more on the action end generally since two people will need more things to do.

It's looking a little Alien 3 right now but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I liked the first 2 so much. The end of the clip was great, looks disgusting. Disgusting is good.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2012, 05:09.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
25. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 04:03 Dmitri_M

I bought this, played 2 campaign missions and about a week later forgot about it. It felt like I'd bought SC1 again. If you haven't seen an old game for a few years the graphics cease aging and since SC2 just felt like the same game with better graphics..I was underwhelmed. And yes I realise everyone likely expected\demanded the same game but I expected some gameplay improvement or advancement of the RTS genre. I realise we all essentially want a return to the "good old days" but my ideal is a new wave of interesting titles that aren't just rehashes.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 15, 2012, 16:36 Dmitri_M

religiophobia

The anti-religious bias is understandable but also annoyingly ineffective. Christians love all the snarky hate they get. They're taught that they'd be "persecuted for their beliefs" and that this is a test of their faith, something they must endure to be true Christians.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
34. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 16:17 Dmitri_M

Flatline wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 15:43:
MP3 left me... conflicted
Agree with pretty much everything you said. One moment I felt annoyed, the next blown away. Odd gaming experience.

The flashback sequences, especially the graveyard, were excellent and felt right for a Max Payne game. It sucked finishing them and then going back to the Vin Diesel version of Max Payne trying to steal a bank vault from out of police station in Brazil..

I didn't mind Payne's pained language, people had the same complaints with the originals. The difference was the original titles had some tongue in cheek bad guys for Max to play off of and the gothic nior feel of the originals fit Payne. In MP3 he's the same Max but he's surrounded by character's that are all playing it straight and the setting is typical "realistic" (bland) Jerry Bruckheimer Rockstar. Sometimes it was actually amusing having Max complain about them but by the end it did get tiresome.

News Comments > Neversoft Supporting CoD
9. Re: Neversoft Supporting CoD Jun 15, 2012, 15:24 Dmitri_M

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:00:
A sci-fi CoD might be interesting. Interesting enough at least for me not to dismiss it off-hand.
Yeah something imaginative. Something other than the army of walmart freedom. New IPs are scary to developers.

25. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 15:16 Dmitri_M

Just to be clear they did strip the cutscenes from the start of the levels. So at least it does drop you straight into the action. As you play though, the cutscenes show up as expected and can't be skipped.

The scoring system in the arcade mode seems to have been hijacked by cheaters. The "top" player's score which is prominently displayed in TV friendly size 36 typeface as a piddly 9999999999.

21. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 13:12 Dmitri_M

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:07:
I need to try Arcade mode, see if that lets you play without the CONSTANT interruptions.
Cutscenes are all still present in the arcade mode. I was also hoping they were removed

19. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 12:55 Dmitri_M

I didn't like the first 2 or so hours of MP3 but it picked up quite nicely after that. The story is decent enough. Max Payne was less about story specifics than it was atmosphere. The third features too many dumb Rockstar criminal characters for my liking.
I will always remember chasing down Vinnie Gognitti in MP1 "PAAAAYYYNNEE!!!!". There aren't any moments in 3 as memorable as that. It's all too slick and shallow.

Though I don't remember liking MP2's narrative either, that game felt like a tech demo for ragdoll.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2012, 13:03.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 15, 2012, 12:41 Dmitri_M

I don't see you being able to avoid metro completely.

Your argument is "Yeah Metro is useless but guys I'm sure you can avoid it! Here look at the screenshot they've left 75% of the existing UI as is!". Why didn't they just leave all of the existing UI in place and allow us to disable the super sized start menu app store (Metro) then?

Nothing wrong with letting MS know when they've made a blunder.

1768 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo