Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1794 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 22:55 Dmitri_M

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 20:31:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 20:10:
When you're looking for work as a game dev, the metacritic score of the titles you've worked on effects how HR recruiters view your CV.

Yeah that's half the problem. Especially when publishers can taint it, users can bomb it. Absofuckinguseless.
Yeah you can just hear the recruiter's opinion of you wither when your niche hardcore PC title with "74%" comes up. ITS NOT 90% OR MULTIPLATFORM!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 20:10 Dmitri_M

When you're looking for work as a game dev, the metacritic score of the titles you've worked on effects how HR recruiters view your CV.  

News Comments > On Sale
75. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 15:18 Dmitri_M

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 08:49:
I know some other people have offered in these steam sale threads, I'll offer too. If you paypal me the funds, I'll gift you it. The deal is over in 2 hours so you'll need to hurry.
Thanks for the offer, I convinced a US co-worker to gift it to me before the offer ended

News Comments > On Sale
56. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 07:04 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 03:05:
Wow, one I voted for finally won. LA Noire complete for $5. That's a great deal, for those that don't have it.

I wanted it!

I voted for it!!

It won!!!

I had my credit card ready!!!!

And then it wasn't available for sale to my region.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 07:09.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
59. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 14, 2012, 20:32 Dmitri_M

NKD wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 00:04:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 19:29:
This isn't a criticism, rather an observation on the nitty gritty realities and how awesome it must feel for these guys getting their projects funded.

As a programmer with zero artistic skills, I'm thinking I might actually give a small Kickstarter game project a shot. Create the game itself, put together a reasonably slick presentation, then just KS a small amount to pay for some better art and audio to be created. It's going to have to wait until after my upcoming move though.

Yeah I'm on the 3D art end and after years of jumping between companies, never staying long enough to be promoted into a managerial position I've realised the only real progression I'll be able to achieve is if I go it alone. Now just to come up with an idea I'd like to produce that makes it worth while giving up a stable income..

News Comments > Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access?
11. Re: Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access? Jul 14, 2012, 16:27 Dmitri_M

Techie714 wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:54:
Apparently the only guy that thought BF3 was awesome...checking in.....
I liked it too. I got two months of gaming out of it then stopped satisfied. That's about as long as I played BF2. At the time I thought BF2 was a dumbed down Operation Flashpoint, and I played way more OFP though I still enjoyed BF2 for what it was. So I don't get the people complaining about BF3. How different is it really from BF2? There must be some nuance to this hatred that I'm just missing.

I can see complaints about the maps be valid. But on the whole, what alternative to BF3 exists right now?

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Jul 14, 2012, 16:22 Dmitri_M

To anyone waiting for Steam to reduce ArmA's price to Amazon's levels, don't. It's better to buy ArmA off Amazon since it's independent of Steam. ArmA's modding and patching is more complicated than most games, it's simpler having a copy of the game that's separate from Steam.  

News Comments > Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE
23. Re: Battlefield Designer Leaves DICE Jul 14, 2012, 13:11 Dmitri_M

It's amusing how posters here presume he was booted out. It's likely he did leave on his own volition. Or if they decided not to renew his contract because a SP component wasn't required, I bet they're sending him on his way with a great reference. Companies don't operate like internet forums "YOU SUCK LEAVE JUSTICE IS SERVED FOR GAMERS EVERYWHERE!". Only on the internet do people think that happens

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 05:44:
But who plays BF3 or BC2 for the SP ... it makes no sense. These games are 100% true MP games, all SP is just going to be some superficial crap no matter who does it.... Heck look at COD and it's whack-a-mole SP , at least compared to that BC2 was hilarious and BF3 was pretty epic.

I played BF3 till level 50 on MP then stopped. Didn't once try the SP component. I completely forgot it even had a SP component till the posts in this comments section reminded me..

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:39:
Ledge wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 08:22:
the reaperbot in quake, gave you a run for your money.

I forgot about the reaper bot, good call. Also the Omicron bot was pretty good too if I remember correctly.
Both great bots. The current two best are Frogbot and Frikbot. They have waypoint maps for nearly every custom Quake map out there. Playing Frog on Aerowalk it feels like you're playing against a human, really lifelike.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Jul 13, 2012, 20:33 Dmitri_M

Orogogus wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 19:09:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 16:54:
They need to simply stop making these "Gratuitous" games and go with something else. They have a reputation for mediocrity that will be all but impossible to overcome. Wipe the slate and start over.

Isn't this only the second game with the Gratuitous moniker? I think there was only Space Battles and now this.

I believe his post to be Cliffski bait.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
51. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 19:29 Dmitri_M

Kickstarters for video games are an incredible racket.

If you have the programming, design or art talent to produce video games professionally yet you're stuck in a cubicle somewhere under some dumb lead or manager, it becomes a job like any other.

Kickstart a project and you get a couple of thousand people to pay your salary without having to deal with them on a day to day basis? Fantastic. Your boss\"investor" at a distance over the internet rather than two cubicles over? Tremendous.

This isn't a criticism, rather an observation on the nitty gritty realities and how awesome it must feel for these guys getting their projects funded.

News Comments > UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year
23. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 18:24 Dmitri_M

Theo wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 17:12:
I am confused, is there a source that says its a PC exclusive?

Fortnite is Epic's first Unreal Engine 4 game and it'll ship "exclusively for the PC," Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinksi said today during a San Diego Comic-Con 2012 panel. "We're here and we're announcing that this is a PC-designed game, it's shipping exclusively for the PC," he told a crowd of attendees.

Joystiq source article

Apparently he later stated on Twitter that:
"We wouldn't rule out the possibility of other platforms later," he wrote. That is, while Fortnite will be "primary and first" on PC, it may not be exclusive to the platform forever."

Theo wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 17:12:
but i dont get the hate for Epic
Spiffy and Rein have on multiple occasions made remarks that amount to: "We sell more silly cover shooters on console so therefore PC is dead" and "PC is dead because people buying low end laptops with integrated graphics can't run our games". Google search 'disparaging remarks by Epic about PC' will turn up multiple articles dating back years. Statements like this are ridiculous and pure spin, why don't they just admit it's easier developing for consoles? Instead they choose to slam the PC platform as a whole.

Now with this lame kiddie looking game they're back claiming that the PC IS NEXTGEN because UE4 won't run on current consoles. Then in two years time when the new consoles hit they'll be saying "PC gaming is dead".

A major developer with PC roots makes a point of saying that PC gaming is dead. It isn't dead. These statements by major players in the industry are completely self-serving and don't help anyone trying to develop for the PC.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 18:44.

12. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 04:06 Dmitri_M

Perhaps these shots were intended for print. The quality of their pr material is more interesting than the game.  

4. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 12, 2012, 21:37 Dmitri_M

It looks like an Epic take on a Valve game. Visually at least. When I heard PC exclusive Epic game I figured it'd be a hardcore fps.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
103. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 21:22 Dmitri_M

Dades wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 20:51:
Teddy wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 20:39:
Amazon's download service is US only. Can't even buy keys from them from elsewhere, unless you want to mess with VPN's. Can't speak for him, but that's why I don't use it.

Incorrect, you can setup a billing address on your Amazon account with a US property/place and it will happily let you buy/download whatever you want even if you use a foreign credit card. They don't seem to verify the details against your credit card. A lot of canadians at Slickdeals seem to use public US addresses like government buildings, libraries and hospitals.

I don't think this works with Amazon Instant Video but it does work for the videogame marketplace, thousands of people use it. Anything you have to get shipped will obviously not.
I can confirm what Dades said. I live deep in the heart of darkness a hillock away from Kurtz with a credit card whittled from Baobab bark using a random US address without issues. As long as they get their money they don't care about the legitimacy of the address.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
76. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 18:27 Dmitri_M

DG wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 17:46:
Does Shogun 2 play like the first Shogun, i.e. really good fun and not overburdened with crap like Rome? They seemed to be going downhill with every iteration of that game - on the strategy map anyway, they did seem to be getting better with the battles.
As someone who loved Shogun 1 and didn't like Rome or play any further TW games till Shogun 2 - I was really happy with Shogun 2.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2012, 13:48 Dmitri_M

Read an interesting article a while back which quoted David Simon on how no one watched The Wire while it was airing but everyone is watching it now on DVD and calling it "the best ever". He was pretty honest about how it irks him since it was a battle justifying it's continued run on HBO due to low ratings. Credit to them for keeping it going as long as they did and giving it a proper conclusion.

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:20:
No, you're right. It was vastly overrated. I thought it was pretty childish myself. Over sensationalized violence and cursing was all it was. Which is super if you're a teenager but leaves a more mature crowd wanting.
Another worthless Cutter opinion designed to agitate.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2012, 10:48 Dmitri_M

Swearengen: The Twilight Years

Where he died a drunk in a rail car after Trixie burnt the Gem down.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
33. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 11, 2012, 22:10 Dmitri_M

Jerykk wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:55:
Wait, EA still owns the Wasteland IP? And they're letting Wasteland 2 get made?
When I read that I didn't think of Wasteland, I thought of Alpha Centauri.

Those monsters at EA.

News Comments > DCS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases
9. Re: CS: Combined Arms Pre-Purchases Jul 11, 2012, 18:05 Dmitri_M

Sims are a niche market with a very dedicated fanbase that isn't as fickle as the majority of gamers who stick with a title for 2 or 3 months at a time before moving on. Sim gamers understand that the quirks will eventually be ironed out and view the titles as platforms rather than "games". ArmA is a title with this reputation which is why many gamers scoff at it as a game but don't understand why some have been supporting and playing it for 10+ years. DCS World clearly has some excellent promise as a longterm platform. The DCS guys right now are the id software of 10 years ago, the Gran Turismo devs of the sim world. Companies that develop sims are creating complicated titles (visually and programming wise). That costs money. Pay for beta offers benefit both parties in this instance.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
19. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2012, 16:07 Dmitri_M

Super creepy for us, super awesome for him. Did I say too much?  

1794 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo