Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1870 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month?
16. Re: Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month? Mar 9, 2013, 08:14 Dmitri_M

DangerDog wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 23:30:
Arma III seems like it'll be Arma 2.5 they're just not taking an aggressive enough stance to bring it into the realm of modern fps games. Player movement while improved is still clunky, the UI is still an excel spreadsheet. All that command interface stuff should be scrapped, how many people take command of hundreds of units at once?

Drives me nuts because underneath all the many layers that are the Arma Onion you could have one hell of a Battlefield killer. A target that BiS should have set out to match is Novalogic's Joint Operations - that game was tactical and fun to play. It'll never happen unfortunately because BiS is still concentrating on Man Simulator 2.0

No BIS should be adding features similar to the original plans for Stalker, and improve the hell of of the AI. They should also finally start adding intuitive features to the mission editor. They waypoint types haven't changed in 10 years. They should certainly not cater to unimaginative people who think every FPS should be MP only. Operation Flashpoint was released before BF. OFP players don't want goddamn BF.

They cannot compete with BF, ever. And they shouldn't try. Beneath the "ArmA Onion" is a tangled mess of buggy code that will never satisfy conventional gamers that can't suffer "engine quirks". So they're stuck marketing it as a simulator rather than a game because that's the only way they can justify all it's oddities and the total lack of imagination they've shown post OFP regarding single player.

Did you know that the terrain in ArmA 3 could be 5x more detailed but the developers aren't capable of pushing their own engine.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 10:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
27. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 20:05 Dmitri_M

Flatline wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 19:28:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:42:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

It would be boring without combat but it's another thing when that's the main focus. And the dialogue seems to be very Bioware...so far. Limited G/N/E, one or two sentence conversations because god forbid anyone should have to read some real dialogue. So far I'm not impressed. The saving grace *may* be the editor. However, that all depends on how difficult it is to use and the amount of assets involved.

Wow. You're seriously judging an entire game based off of a 20 minute alpha clip of a side mission. Why aren't you playing the stock market with that kind of predictive skill?

Tell ya what. If you don't like the dialogue in the mission... write your own fucking mission. That's what the mission editor will be for. The damn thing is drag & drop. You can finally show us how the game *should* be.

Cutter does not possessive the creativity or the imagination for anything beyond snark. A mission editor is wasted on him.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:06 Dmitri_M

looks fantastic  

News Comments > EA: Dead Space Rumor "Patently False"
9. Re: EA: Dead Space Rumor Mar 6, 2013, 08:39 Dmitri_M

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 08:23:
Maybe they should make the next Dead Space exactly like Call of Duty to give you guys a real reason to bitch for a change.
lol @ rollinthundr's wide pear shaped hips

News Comments > Dead Space 4 Cancelled?
72. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 20:03 Dmitri_M

This makes no sense. Dead Space is still a hugely popular franchise. Does EA have some insanely high expectation of sales? It clearly sold well. Not better than 2, but still great. Spineless reaction. It didn't sell COD numbers, it didn't double in sales. So they can it. Pathetic.  

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
17. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:52 Dmitri_M

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:40:
Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 09:51:
I know indies paved the way for this but I am really iffy about alpha stuff being on Steam, it just doesn't seem like a good precedent to set even with all of their other efforts at curation.

Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by this as well. If WarZ got banned until it had its shit sorted (austensibly), why is someone else's Alpha allowed?

Creston

Arma is special case

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
10. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:01 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:27:
Having never played any of the previous games, is this primarily multi?

It's primarily coop multi. The real meat of the game is the simple mission editor which let's you drop AI in and coop against them. The rabid fans of the series are really fans of the editor, no one actually plays the sp campaigns.

There certainly is a ton of SP. But you'll get the most fun out of messing around in the editor. Rather than sitting through BIS's awful campaigns.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2013, 11:06.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
14. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 5, 2013, 08:18 Dmitri_M

Galciv 2 was good and I hope they're working on a follow up.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2013, 18:23 Dmitri_M

As kids we used to mix chlorine and water in tightly sealed plastic bottles and blow shit up. Shake, run, wait 60 seconds for one helluva boom! Once we walked into the resulting chlorine gas cloud to investigate the crater we'd just created and all started suffocating. No wonder they used the shit during World War 1 as a chemical warfare agent. Ah, to be young again! *cough* *wheeze*  

News Comments > 3D Quake Editor
14. Re: 3D Quake Editor Mar 4, 2013, 17:46 Dmitri_M

Quake is the name for God on the hearts and minds of gamers everywhere.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. removed Mar 1, 2013, 10:01 Dmitri_M

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 1, 2013, 10:15.

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Next Week
32. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 19:42 Dmitri_M

Frags4Fun wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 08:45:
Did they really just say, "purchase the alpha"? LMAO!
They've been doing that for over a decade.

News Comments > Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced
6. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 17:58 Dmitri_M

All I ever wanted out of the Flatout series was Demolition Derby 2.

Flatout2 came closest but their tracks were too grounded in reality with too much of an emphasis on racing.

Flatout1 might as well be considered a simulation. The tracks hardly allowed for the big crashes the game was capable of delivering.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Flatout2. But they need to make it easier for the big crashes to happen more consistently. DD2 achieved that by smart design placing huge jumps in many of the tracks.

News Comments > GeForce GTX TITAN Announced
38. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:54 Dmitri_M

After 15 years of building my own desktops and purchasing the latest gfx cars I sold my last and moved to a gaming laptop exclusively. 1080p display and it has the equivalent of a mid ranged 5 series in it. I can run pretty much anything on it on nearly maxed, it's small and isn't noisy (unless I'm running a 3D app). I'll never go back to a giant tower of doom with 12 fans.

Unless we have a return to PC only FPS releases I expect this thing to last me a few more years. ArmA is the only non-port FPS I play and it stresses my system (and that's partly because it's a unoptimized).

News Comments > Wargame: AirLand Battle Website
2. Re: Wargame: AirLand Battle Website Feb 17, 2013, 15:00 Dmitri_M

Lordy.  

News Comments > DayZ Update
6. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 21:59 Dmitri_M

The standalone product's engine won't satisfy players. People who have come to BI's engine thanks to DayZ probably expect some huge improvements to the engine for the standalone, but they don't realise that when BI say they're going to make improvements it's all very understated.

If it's lucky it'll feature ported features from VBS, but that's about it. BI have supported their products wonderfully over the years. The problem is most of that support is band aiding and tiny incremental improvements of the dated engine.

They need to throw out all of the code related to animation and player movement and start over. Keep the player's view attached to the head, independent of the gun (unlike every other FPS) but quit relying on the peculiar movement system where animations cannot be paused once they're initiated. Will BI discard something that has been present in their engine since the late 1990s? No. By now it's probably reams of uncommented mess that no one could even begin to unravel or correct.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2013, 22:05.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 6, 2013, 07:32 Dmitri_M

I loved the first two even though I didn't like the overall direction of the second. Less claustrophobic setting. They should really have kept it in space. An ice planet seems like a real B-grade Saturday morning Syfy channel turn.

I might wait for a sale before I try 3. Sad really.

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:20:
The first one was ok as a novelty. The second was enh. This will certainly be worse.
Bit like your posts.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
3. Re: Evening Screenshots Feb 5, 2013, 06:49 Dmitri_M

Reminds me of a more colourful Syndicate.

It's great.

News Comments > Brutal Legend Steam DB Entry Spotted
12. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 3, 2013, 08:31 Dmitri_M

It was a console exclusive. No thanks.

Ducks at incoming troll accusations.

News Comments > DayZ Status Report
14. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 06:55 Dmitri_M

The DayZ style freewheeling gameplay has been in OFP/ArmA for 10 years. Sure, we weren't playing with zombies but large scale military missions that involved running around, hit and running AI and "living off the land". DayZ without zombies. I have no expectations that they're make any real improvements to the engine. Nothing has changed over the years except incremental updates to the graphics engine. The current DayZ gameplay has been possible since 2001.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2013, 07:05.

1870 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo