Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1878 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
28. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 05:35 Dmitri_M

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 02:01:
The violent macho power fantasy will no longer define what gaming is all about.

This woman has serious issues. The "violent macho power fantasy"? When has that ever defined what gaming is about? What a warped view of things she has. Even more worrisome is how many people share in this warped view. What is wrong with you people?

When I was a small boy my friends and I played cowboys and crooks. We'd run around pretend shooting each other. Hiding in bushes. Climbing trees. I remember it being good natured fun. Would she describe this as a violent macho power fantasy?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 28, 2014, 14:42 Dmitri_M

Video games breed violent misogynistic nerds!  

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 28, 2014, 09:04 Dmitri_M

Michael Biehn's work in Blood Dragon was great.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Ziggurat
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Ziggurat Oct 27, 2014, 05:05 Dmitri_M

sv_gravity 100  

News Comments > etc.
34. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 04:57 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 21:06:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 19:40:
That mainstream media choose to connect gamers with the worst possible societal problems is nothing new. For years they've attempted to link playing games with school shootings. With people who don't find meaningful employment. Now with misogyny, and death threats.

Except this time, you know, its factual, with a giant movement angry at women and full of death threats.

Seriously, what journalist ethics have you guys attacked thus far?

"you guys"? Don't lump us all together Beamer.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2014, 05:12.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 19:40 Dmitri_M

That mainstream media choose to connect gamers with the worst possible societal problems is nothing new. For years they've attempted to link playing games with school shootings. With people who don't find meaningful employment. Now with misogyny, and death threats.  

News Comments > Jon Shafer's At The Gates Video
6. Re: Jon Shafer's At The Gates Video Oct 24, 2014, 16:58 Dmitri_M

This looks excellent. Must buy for me.  

News Comments > Arma III Free Weekend
16. Re: Arma III Free Weekend Oct 24, 2014, 03:46 Dmitri_M

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 02:39:
<Electric-Spock> wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 23:41:
My biggest gripe with ARMA 3 is how un-optimized the game engine is. I have multiple friends with good spec'd gaming rigs and we all get low frame rates. 25-30 frames unless you're far away from action. So low it really kills the fun for me, especially close combat. Given the pace of the game it's playable, but would be so much better if it ran decent.

I thought I read it only runs off of 1 CPU core, and I don't think video optimization is much better.

If your going to try it out I'd suggest playing the 'King of the Hill" mod/mode. Just set the server name filter to 'king'. You don't need to download anything, just choose a server.

Indoors as well as outdoors? In their defense, watching vids of this game, I don't think I've seen anyone try draw distance with the level of detail this game has. Usually distant objects are very poorly rendered.

Viewdistance and object detail should be adjusted on a per mission basis. I put it to 4km for flying, under 2km for infantry. Sometimes much less if there is a lot of CQB.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
14. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 08:19 Dmitri_M

Nvidia knows best you may not deviate!

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
12. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 01:39 Dmitri_M

Supersampling? I guess Nvidia think we all have horsepower to spare. Which of course we do because games graphics tech is no longer being driven by PC. I'm running triple AAA titles on my aging 570M chip at near maxed out settings. The only time I need to drop settings is on titles developed only for PC. Usually sims like Assetto Corsa and ArmA.  

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off
7. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off Oct 22, 2014, 16:18 Dmitri_M

The core game is probably quite good but 1) Cliffs of Dover ruined the IL2 brand to the extent that most gamers don't even realise BOS is being developed by a totally different studio, 2) the sim community is full of humourless "hardcore" douches, and 3) the devs of BOS are designing the campaign for broader appeal to try to make money in the current gaming environment (unlocks). Odds are stacked.

I personally hope they succeed. If only because I think Rise of Flight was great.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released
4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released Oct 22, 2014, 03:58 Dmitri_M

Domgrief wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 03:57:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 02:25:
I still like the mechanics. The voice acting is still perfect.

Some of the cast was great, but I wouldn't go as far as "perfect" - Ira's "She is evil. A driven bitch." is the worst piece of voice acting I've ever heard.

I think there's a difference between tongue in cheek and outright bad.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 22, 2014, 02:50 Dmitri_M

I grew up in a country that had little to no advertising about "coding" or computer science.

Dad's bought PCs and their sons took an interest. Men are more likely to tinker in hobbies that don't have a socializing component. It's got to do with escape and quiet because men generally find it easier to get agitated.

Working on cars, carpentry, coding on a computer. There are loads of hobbies that fill the same function for men.

My girlfriend likes to do things that a social component. Sitting in front of a computer doesn't satisfy that. She doesn't speak to all woman of course.

It's ok to acknowledge that woman and men are different. I don't really understand why there is a slant to explain away a gender's characteristics as a fault of media or some other influence rather than just a predisposition possessed by that gender.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released
2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released Oct 22, 2014, 02:25 Dmitri_M

If I want to play JA I just boot JA2 1.13

I still like the graphics. Prefer it to blurry 3D. I still like the mechanics. The voice acting is still perfect.

Cheap imitations need not apply.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
47. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 08:16 Dmitri_M

InBlack wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 07:50:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 07:44:
Rigs wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 23:43:
Once the Alien actually showed up, it felt like I was just going to be running from locker to locker. Am I wrong? Tell me there are just particular areas it shows up in. And am I crazy for just wanting to investigate the station instead of run from the Alien? That's the point of the game...maybe it's just me getting old...

=-Rigs-=

I absolutely love the terror of running and hiding from the Alien. Having it sniff about looking for me while I'm hiding under a table is a rush.

This is easily the best Alien game I've played. So far better than AVP..which I loved.

AVP was Cameron's Aliens. Combat focused. Isolation is much closer to the original Alien film with a focus on survival and avoidance over combat.

In this you're not a colonial marine meant to battle 100s of Aliens as though they were bugs from Starship Troopers. So far I've killed one human who was clearly aggressive, but generally I avoid combat as much as possible. This makes it feel more plausible. Focus is on oldschool stealth, sneaking around trying to avoid an absolute killing machine.

I would have preferred it if there were less of the station's populace about, I don't feel as "isolated" or alone as I should.

I tried the game at a friend's place and he is clearly in love with it. I on the other hand was kind of like, ok cool atmosphere but what the fuck??? I just died five times to some three android dudes, who I have to somehow sneak past in exactly the right way or what, Im dead? I find games like that frustrating beyond belief. I even tried goading them somehow, throwing that sound thingy you can construct. To no avail...He was trying to convince me that isnt what the game is really but, seriously...who the fuck wants to load the same damn set piece 5 times to get past it somehow...

It sounds like you should play a game that is action focused rather than stealth.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 07:44 Dmitri_M

Rigs wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 23:43:
Once the Alien actually showed up, it felt like I was just going to be running from locker to locker. Am I wrong? Tell me there are just particular areas it shows up in. And am I crazy for just wanting to investigate the station instead of run from the Alien? That's the point of the game...maybe it's just me getting old...

=-Rigs-=

I absolutely love the terror of running and hiding from the Alien. Having it sniff about looking for me while I'm hiding under a table is a rush.

This is easily the best Alien game I've played. So far better than AVP..which I loved.

AVP was Cameron's Aliens. Combat focused. Isolation is much closer to the original Alien film with a focus on survival and avoidance over combat.

In this you're not a colonial marine meant to battle 100s of Aliens as though they were bugs from Starship Troopers. So far I've killed one human who was clearly aggressive, but generally I avoid combat as much as possible. This makes it feel more plausible. Focus is on oldschool stealth, sneaking around trying to avoid an absolute killing machine.

I would have preferred it if there were less of the station's populace about, I don't feel as "isolated" or alone as I should.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2014, 19:43 Dmitri_M

Really enjoying Alien Isolation. Enjoyment measured on a sliding scale of sheer terror. Looks and runs great, no obvious port issues and an excellent atmosphere. Some of the best sounds I've heard in a game too.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
10. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 16:37 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 16:25:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 16:19:
Jack Thompson 2? Except without the conservative white male baggage much easier for the press to get on board.

Except she's not trying to censor anything or force anything or ban anything. She's not trying to pass legislation and not trying to outlaw anything.

She even points out in this very interview that games can be part of a pattern and still be wonderful and engaging and fun.

Relax crusader

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
6. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 16:19 Dmitri_M

Jack Thompson 2? Except without the conservative white male baggage much easier for the press to get on board.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
83. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 18, 2014, 22:46 Dmitri_M

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 08:53:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 14:20:
Haha, please keep posting this stuff. It's incredible.

I honestly don't mean to troll you, and really it's great you and others are enthusiastic but unreleased titles pulling in millions on hype and promises are not "what pc gaming is about".
If you were talking about a game from a publisher like EA or Activision I'd completely agree but we're not. This is a game that wouldn't have been made without crowdsourcing, by somebody with a distinguished history in the genre. People are buying into the game because they have faith in the project. What do you care if people who back it lose their money or aren't happy with the final project?

People around here just like to rail against anything that is considered popular or mainstream. What I care about is the game and everything I've seen so far has given me confidence that this game will deliver. If it doesn't then that's fine, as at least I supported my favourite genre and gave it a chance.

I think they're buying into it because they've been groomed by major publishers over the past decade or so to believe that hype is truth.

In the wake of Star Citizen I picture EA and Activision boardrooms abuzz "How can we get people to spend money on games before they're even released??"

1878 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo