Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1852 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free R.U.S.E. With Air Conflicts: Vietnam Preorders
1. Re: Free R.U.S.E. With Air Conflicts: Vietnam Preorders Sep 26, 2013, 11:45 Dmitri_M

I'm sort of looking forward to this game. My expectations aren't high. I know it's arcade. And I'm a sucker for Vietnam era titles.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2013, 11:37 Dmitri_M

InBlack wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:53:
Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:23:
Budgets will hold back photo-realism more than specs ever will.

You are assuming that photorealistic graphics will be built in the same way that traditional graphics are made these days by artists and designers who 'create' content in the traditional manner by building 3d assets, textures etc. etc.
When it comes to the future dont assume anything, by the time photorealistic graphics become possible and feasible for consumer grade specs, there will probably be equally ingenious ways of simplifying and building assets in much more cost effective ways. Textures for example could already be very easily incorporated by simply using photography for example.
A photo of a surface will give you a diffuse texture. You still need specular, normal, bump and countless others to approximate the appearance of a "photoreal" surface. Good luck doing that without expensive teams of artists.

News Comments > Espaņa 1936 Announced
1. Re: Espaņa 1936 Announced Sep 26, 2013, 11:02 Dmitri_M

Will it feature Mossos?  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
91. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 26, 2013, 10:59 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:51:
it's basic business 101: you grow by gaining new customers
If this isn't aimed at existing Steam users, why do they plan to stream to the box from your Windows PC? Or did I misread something.

Let's presume this isn't aimed at me a longtime steam user.

Who is it aimed at then?

If a casual gamer asked me if he should buy a console, or a linux box that allows him to run console ports weeks or months later through emulation of Directx, I'll tell him to buy a console.

Actually. If I had to choose between Valve's product and a console I'd rather buy a console

To me this is like Google announcing a hardware TV device, or Apple, or any number of companies with HTPC like devices. I like Apple's phones. I like Google's search engine. I like Valve's games.

88. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 26, 2013, 10:42 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 22:20:
Man, so many people sitting here saying "I'd never use this" or "I already plug my TV in" or whatever.

Duh. This isn't for you. You already spend tons of cash on Steam. This is for people that don't.
Oh bluesnews. The selection of trolls on here don't bother me nearly as much as the keepers of the opinion high ground. Not that I'm specifically aiming that remark at you Beamer. This thread in general.

"Spending tons of cash on Steam", sounds like a great reason to have an opinion on a Steam related product. This being a pc gamer website and users being a little more technically inclined perhaps having used Linux and Windows operating systems means..well some of us might make comparisons. Knowing how to run cables between a TV and a PC..perhaps means some of us will have opinions on whether we'd purchase this or not.

I'd rather see Valve making games. Though I realise they are now better at installing digital ATM machines in my home office. And now living room.

21. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:47 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:37:
That is pretty silly
Running some cheap cables is pretty straight forward. Cheaper than buying an additional system. Simpler than having my games located on two devices. I've been doing it for 10 years. You not catching on to something so simple make me wonder if you're not perhaps a little silly in the head?

12. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:36 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:28:
This may come as a shocking revelation to you but HDMI and other graphics cables are available in multiple lengths often of many many meters that will easily reach any TV.

You still need input nearby even with wireless. The long cord thing works fine for apartments mostly but it's a pain in houses, I know because I've done it.
My comment goes for USB cables too. Cables can easily be fixed to run along skirting boards. That's what I've done. It really isn't hard and I didn't need to buy a Steam Machine.

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:33:
As it says in the FAQ if you're not interested in this then just keep using Steam the same way you do. They think there is a growing market segment here, whether they are right or wrong is something only that time will answer.
I've had coworkers telling me all day that this is going to be the next Xbox. I'm kind of primed to be hard on this.

I also feel this is further chipping away at the PC + keyboard mouse gaming by a company that was founded and funded by people who still happen to control the majority of their games this way.

5. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:28 Dmitri_M

So..a box where I can sit on my couch and access my steam library and play them with a gamepad? My steam games are on my PC for a reason. Most I do not want to play sitting on a couch. And if I want to I plug in my Xbox for Windows controller and make do with that and hmdi to my projector.

Who will purchase this? Console gamers aren't going to migrate from the major brands for the same ports delayed by weeks/months. I see maybe a couple of 100 000 selling at best.

Yakubs wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:23:
This may be a shocking revelation for you but get this -- not all people have their gaming PC located within five feet of their TV.
This may come as a shocking revelation to you but HDMI and other graphics cables are available in multiple lengths often of many many meters that will easily reach any TV.

News Comments > Stardock Lawsuits Settled
29. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 05:16 Dmitri_M

It's amazing how many Blues posters are personal friends with Brad Wardell.  

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Sep 22, 2013, 10:29 Dmitri_M

El Pit wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 09:09:
Julio wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 05:59:
Sad that boxing has been rigged for decades. Wrestling has the same level of legitimacy.

Boxing is definitely NOT pro wrestling! There is no "screenplay", boxing bouts are not acting classes. But yes, there have ALWAYS been shady decisions and fixed fights. For example, one judge (CJ Ross) scored the fight of "Money" Mayweather vs. "Canelo" Alvarez a draw, which was absolutely outrageous, because Money easily won the fight by six of even seven rounds (as the other judges scored it correctly). Ross stepped down a few days after the fight. So, yeah, the mob still has its fingers in boxing, but so it does in a lot of other sports.

Maybe she's an incompetent judge? Do people always pick conspiracy over the common sense straight forward answer. There are many poor judges in combat sports making poor decisions in fights much lower profile than a Mayweather bout. Here we just have a bad judge on a major fight. The commissions are dirty in so far as they assign incompetent judges to large fights and seem incapable of acting when those judges make mistakes.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre Sep 22, 2013, 06:58 Dmitri_M

I backed it and didn't get a Steam key either.

I emailed them and they haven't responded yet.

Something similar happened to me with Shadowrun Returns, they got back to me with in an hour.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre Sep 21, 2013, 18:33 Dmitri_M

I think there is still hope for this. They certainly did not go in an arcade or consoley direction with it which was the big fear at the time the kickstarter was in progress.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 21, 2013, 06:48 Dmitri_M

I kind of like all of this stuff they do. I think it's exciting. Like something out of a movie. I find it hard to feel any outrage whatsoever.

Don't mean to sound like I'm trolling. Just being honest.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Sep 21, 2013, 06:31 Dmitri_M

WarPig wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 23:34:
And even that fight had fishy judging.
It wasn't fishy, it was incompetent. The right guy still won.

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! and Demo Released
11. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! and Demo Released Sep 20, 2013, 16:51 Dmitri_M

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 16:39:
It seems to me in most places in eastern europe you almost have to be either completely oblivious of your surroundings and obnoxious or looking for trouble to find any. Whereas in the states sometimes trouble just finds you.
So true. I'll never forget an obnoxious South African tourist on a tram peering out the windows at my Prague neighborhood proclaiming the place as looking "dangerous". Surrounded by quiet, reserved Czechs on a tram trundling through a quiet ordinary residential suburb. He came there with an image of the place in his mind and I guess the week or weekend he spent there just wasn't enough to shake it.

It was embarrassing and ironic since he was from my country which is a truly dangerous place.

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 16:39:
That said i still dont like being anywhere east of the hungarian border.
I spent a vacation in Ukraine and that was a whole different story. I went there with an open mind but found myself doing occasional over the shoulder glances. My spidey sense kicked in there. The wild wild east. Interesting, but I wouldn't want to live there.

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! and Demo Released
9. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! and Demo Released Sep 20, 2013, 16:30 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:09:
"Going East! add-on expands the original Euro Truck Simulator 2 map with new destinations for cargo delivery across Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary."

Getting into human smuggling, are we?

I lived for 3 years in Czech Republic. Some of the Eastern Euro countries get a bad rep unfairly.

It was one of the safest places I've ever lived. Growing up in South Africa I'm pretty much hyper vigilant as it is. CZ really put the zap on me. It was so safe. It certainly felt safer than the UK, Australia and Spain (where I currently live). No matter what time of night or where I was I can never recall feeling in danger. My honest impression is that it would be a great place to raise children if you could adapt to the language and certain cultural differences. The Czechs and most Eastern Europeans are all about family I believe much more so than many Western countries are today.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2013, 16:42.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 20, 2013, 15:56 Dmitri_M

I haven't really followed this Snowden thing much but what's the big deal with an intelligence agency intelligencing?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 15:34 Dmitri_M

Running a 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD as my system drive for the past 6 months. The machine boots nearly instantly. Working with complex Photoshop files is much more tolerable than with a mechanic drive. It's probably the largest real world performance boost I've experienced in years by upgrading only a single component. But then I do a lot of heavy data crunching working with CAD, Photoshop and CG. If the primary purpose of your system is to run games you might not see much beyond slight increases in game start-up.

It's amazing to think that this one drive outperforms a 5 drive 7200rpm RAID0 array I was using a few years back.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 15:00 Dmitri_M

My my the teacup certainly is stormy today. 900+ comments on RPS over that article

A fly just landed on the glass of my window on the outside of my house it's distracting me I have to go and see if there is anything in the fridge. bbl

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 09:28 Dmitri_M

Don't get this storm in a tea cup. Perhaps because I think Penny Arcade is bland and I've never visited their site for any reason.  

1852 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo