Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1871 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Car Game Kickstarter
12. Re: Next Car Game Kickstarter Nov 3, 2013, 09:12 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 23:26:
Yeah, I like what I see but I don't know how big or long the entertainment will last. I may have taken the plunge at $10, but not at $20 for so many unknown factors. And yeah, they need way more, way cooler tracks.
It's like when your elderly mom trundles down into the basement to bring you her home cooking and everything about why you're still living down there is affirmed - but ultimately living on your own without these luxuries would be better for your personal development. Adjust your expectations, Cutter. Compromise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
23. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 20:24 Dmitri_M

There are some killer simulation games that will probably work great with this right now. Especially all the titles that already support TrackIR. Multitude of racing games, flight sims (DCS) and ArmA. The irony is that these titles require a high resolution due to the huds or the UI..  

8. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 13:41 Dmitri_M

Flak wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 13:34:
Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 12:53:
The largest issue I have is the resolution.

If this is the largest issue of the dev build version, I am very optimistic about the future of HMDs.

Unlike my TrackIR which I don't always bother to use since it sometimes feels like a hassle to setup, if I had a Rift sitting next to my monitor I'd see no reason NOT to use it.. It was comfortable had no latency and felt almost natural. I'm pretty jaded as far as novel peripherals go. I was pretty surprised by how easily I got into using it.

7. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 13:36 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 13:18:
There's a third party app that will force any dx9 app to split the image correctly for the device too.

Wow, that sounds awesome. Is there much of a performance hit, since it's having to render from two separate perspectives? Or does the low rez counter that?

http://www.tridef.com/

I only tried a Simbin racing game but I saw no performance hit. Mostly down to it being an older title. There were some playability issues because in order to create the 3D effect the players view is offset to the left for the one eye, to the right for the other. My view was slightly to the left outside of the car I never had a chance to investigate correcting this. However you will at least be guaranteed a 3D effect with older titles using the headset. Headtracking didn't work that will likely require support from within the game.

News Comments > Next Car Game Kickstarter
4. Re: Next Car Game Kickstarter Nov 2, 2013, 13:06 Dmitri_M

I love the games too but I wish they would go a little more far-out with their tracks. They're too conventional and don't allow for enough over the top crashing. They need to play Demo Derby 2's "Chalk Valley" track and copy some of those massive jumps. The track seems realistic yet there is still massive crazy jumps.  

4. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 12:53 Dmitri_M

Spent a day with the 720p dev version. Tried Hawken and a bunch of demos. There's a third party app that will force any dx9 app to split the image correctly for the device too.

Ignoring the 3D effect and looking at the Rift only from a headtracking perspective it blows TrackIR (which I've used for years) out of the water. There is absolutely no latency.

The largest issue I have is the resolution. Playing Hawken reminded me of 320x240 Doom. It was borderline unplayable. Felt like a novelty though it was very cool looking around your cockpit..just don't bother looking into the distance since it was a mass of pixels. This might be down to a calibration issue since the pixels seemed oddly elongated. Didn't get a chance to solve that.

It did disorientate me and caused slight nausua but that only set in after I took the device off. Only happened during an FPS demo where someone else was controlling the avatar's walking. Not being in control of walking yet feeling like I was "physically" walking caused disorientation.

I don't think nausua would be an issue with games where your body is in a vehicle or mech where you naturally would be stationary with something else moving you. Kicks in when you feel like you're walking and your body isn't.

I wonder how they would adapt conventional FPS, pretty much every FPS I can think of except ArmA/OFP, where your view is essentially your aim. How would they solve this for Quake/COD/BF where you're "looking" with the mouse? Some in between solution where you can also aim with your head and the mouse? ArmA would be incredible since the player's head/view has separate controls to the player's aim/weapon.

The resolution is still the largest issue. At 1080p I imagine this will mean an effective resolution of half that per eye. They need to get the resolution as high as they can.. Hell just go for 1440p.

It's not heavy and is surprisingly comfortable. Could wear it for hours.

I'd buy one.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 13:04.

News Comments > Arma 3 Campaign Release
10. Re: Arma 3 Campaign Release Nov 1, 2013, 09:07 Dmitri_M

Moog wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 08:34:
Very disappointed that the campaign is SP only - was really looking forward to some decent co-op play
Let them keep it simple. They'd fuck it up otherwise.

News Comments > New WHQL GeForce Drivers
28. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 07:03 Dmitri_M

Video driver failed & recovered
In the Nvidia 3D configuration set your power management to maximum.

By default Nvidia's drivers are set to switch the card to a low power mode ("adaptive") when not in use. Sometimes this happens while playing games..hence the driver restart error. Basically the card stops receiving enough power and the driver restarts. I've had this problem with nearly every NV card since the 7 series. Setting power management to maximum performance always solved it. There are tons of people with this problem yet somehow Nvidia doesn't document this really easy fix.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2013, 10:39 Dmitri_M

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 05:27:
I now have 3 10% Shadow Warrior coupons and 1 25% off....got the 25% today for some stupid reason. Game must be tanking (I would only assume it did anyway) and they must be hurting for sales. Over priced, over hyped, garbage.....
Well it isn't GTA V

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 15:49 Dmitri_M

This game seems to have attracted some real die hard fanboy posters I've never seen around these parts before.  

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Early Access Next Month
5. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Early Access Next Month Oct 18, 2013, 11:33 Dmitri_M

InBlack is misinformed. This has nothing to do with CLOD. It's a clean break. The only bad thing that might happen is that it's too close ROF.  

News Comments > Spice Road Demo
7. Re: Spice Road Demo Oct 14, 2013, 18:08 Dmitri_M

I sometimes dress like a spice girl do you guys want to see  

News Comments > SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer
10. Re: SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer Oct 12, 2013, 08:35 Dmitri_M

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 07:41:
Scary? Uhm, no. Didn't work for me. You gotta do a hell of a lot more than just gore and weird sounds to scare me ;p
I'm posting this with my smartphone while underneath your bed, nude.

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Design Competition
10. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 14:12 Dmitri_M

fawker wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 12:18:
Hasn't this dude made enough to make his own art?
Cryengine is a bitch to work with..

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2013, 14:02 Dmitri_M

Good way to get in the press and highlight your being on the soundtrack.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Rumor
19. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Rumor Oct 11, 2013, 03:45 Dmitri_M

I'm happy to wait for the PC release myself.

InBlack wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 03:41:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 21:15:
Having so much fun on xbox and ps3, I don't even care at this point....

Ok while I understand the draw of console gaming to a point, and I can even understand (sort of) the reason for having multiple consoles, because of game exclusivity and whatnot I really, really, dont get buying the SAME game on BOTH consoles at the same time. Why would you do that?? (Im not dissing here, I really want to know the motivation for doing this)

He probably has two speedboats, two houses, two of everything. Two different families in two different locations totally unaware of each other.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Rumor
16. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Rumor Oct 11, 2013, 03:22 Dmitri_M

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 21:15:
Having so much fun on xbox and ps3, I don't even care at this point....
nin wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 21:23:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 20:39:
First quarter? I'll definitely wait then...

I'd be very surprised if you're not playing it by May, at the very latest.

The two of you better hope it comes.

News Comments > Space Rangers HD Next Week
12. Re: Space Rangers HD Next Week Oct 10, 2013, 14:30 Dmitri_M

Great game. I still remember being stuck in prison on a planet betting on cockroach races..  

News Comments > Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation
28. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 18:17 Dmitri_M

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 16:44:
He is 2 years too late for the party. Planetary Annihilation is where it's at now.

They added AI over the weekend. I can finally play my copy..

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2013, 13:52 Dmitri_M

LittleMe wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 13:10:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:20:
Part of Ken Kutaragiís vision of the PS3 was for the console to ship without a dedicated graphics processor, with the now infamous Cell chip handling ALL the processing.

How on earth is this moron in charge of the playstation division? Seriously? In 2005 you wanted to go without a dedicated graphics unit?

I'm guessing he thought that half a frame a MINUTE would have been suitable performance for the PS3. What a fucking idiot.

Yeah LOL it speaks volumes regarding how they went about creating the console. People who actually made games, or knew how hardware worked weren't making decisions, obviously.

Instead they had clueless suits who threw hundreds of millions of dollars at a crazy-ass cell processor and thought it would be better than anything because they apparently thought money solves all problems. Oh I forgot to say: PC gaming is dead.

They came to their senses though.

They realised a PC in an attractive box with a moronpad attached would be much simpler to produce.

The fools out there in couch land will never know the difference!

1871 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo