Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1852 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

News Comments > New Battlefield 3 Details
35. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:26 Dmitri_M

any additions they make that can disrupt snipers in generic online shooters is good  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization World Open Beta
10. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization World Open Beta Jul 7, 2011, 16:31 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 15:50:
Too bad I don't have a facebook account.

Go to gmail, create JoeSmith4455212@gmail.com, register on facebook as Joe Smith from Kalamazoo, and your problem is solved. You now have a facebook account with 0 valid personal information.

I'll never understand why some feel this is so difficult.

Who said it was difficult, dweeb?

Perhaps I just can't be bothered.

Unrelated to dweebo's useless suggestion, but my little facebook story:
Years back I registered a fake name'd facebook account using my actual gmail account. I can't even remember doing it, or why. Not sure if I ever logged into the account. Somehow facebook worked out that my real life friends who are actually on facebook knew this fake account. From my gmail address alone. Friends started getting automated "this might be a friend" suggestions from the fake account. For years. Eventually one of them worked it out. I'm not against social networks. Just choose to link my real name with something less obtrusive like Flickr.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2011, 16:39.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization World Open Beta
6. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization World Open Beta Jul 7, 2011, 15:03 Dmitri_M

Developing for a browser forces some great old school looking graphics. Too bad I don't have a facebook account.  

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned
21. Re: No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned Jul 6, 2011, 04:03 Dmitri_M

Modding is over with the age of officially made mods being sold as DLC.

I doubt all the modder's that populate these companies are all that sad about it either.

News Comments > Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split
25. Re: Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split Jul 5, 2011, 13:08 Dmitri_M

Bad working conditions.

Welcome to the world of salaried digital arts. Where it's like the non-unionised owner take all industrial revolution all over again.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Graphics Mod
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Graphics Mod Jul 5, 2011, 13:03 Dmitri_M

There are better apps than fraps not much of an excuse especially if you're smart enough to pull of whatever he's doing to the game.

Regardless, this guy is doing a great job. Really shows what titles could look like if designed for the PC first.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Ultra Update (DX11) Released
30. Re: Crysis 2 Ultra Update (DX11) Released Jun 27, 2011, 17:45 Dmitri_M

MajorD wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 13:49:
MEH! I installed the 1.9, High Res, and DX11 patch and quickly checked it out, and so far it appears a little bit better, but not as much as I had anticipated and/or hoped for. Crysis 1 maxed out still looks better IMHO.

I'm curious about everyone else’s opinion.

It's not much of a difference.

But then I didn't expect much change. There's no magic switch that is going to make a model 8000 faces when it was originally designed at 5000 (tesselation just doesn't count since it's just adding a few faces here and there at best smoothing an existing model) or a street scene suddenly being much more realistic without some artist getting their hands dirty and simply adding more props.

This game was designed to run smoothly on consoles. The ultimate "high res" would be to design it first on pc and then offer a "low res" version of the game for console. Yes yes I know that's dead in the water.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2011, 13:09 Dmitri_M

Indie games are like cellphone apps. They're cheap. You buy them on a whim. But you never use them.

I'm not saying that to troll, just simply speaking from experience. :\

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2011, 13:43 Dmitri_M

SirKnight wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 13:32:
That QRP thing looks pretty good! I really like the normal mapped shots.

I'll have to try this.

Yeah they did a good job keeping it consistent with the original textures. You'll probably need Darkplaces to use the normal maps.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2011, 13:03 Dmitri_M

http://qrp.quakeone.com/downloads/ upres'd textures for all maps, objects etc  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 24, 2011, 09:26 Dmitri_M

hubricide wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 23:28:
Cyberspace is fun, cyberpunk is hackneyed and nonsensical anymore

Sensical anymore

News Comments > Windows L.A. Noire This Fall
64. Re: Windows L.A. Noire This Fall Jun 24, 2011, 05:20 Dmitri_M

No one really missed out on much. Red Dead Redemption isn't all that special. Ride horse, hunt, auto aim shootout, rinse repeat. I got 50% of the way in and realised I was just grinding it without enjoyment. My compulsion to hunt everything that moved became a self-destructive chore and I realised masturbating in a dark basement to the same 3 dog eared cosmo fashion sections is so 1991 and I'd be better off playing something non-Rockstar, or just going outside.

I always promise myself I won't play the next RepetitiveStar fest. And then I do.

Perhaps if the dialog and the story were less Canadian made TV Western and a little more HBO Deadwood I'd have enjoyed it. But then I play games for the gameplay not the cutscenes.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 17:31 Dmitri_M

I got Quake bundled with my highend Creative Labs 3D Blaster Rendition Verite V1000 with 4mb graphics memory. Two years later a bag containing that CD was stolen from my car. Happened to be after a LAN party. Lost a lot of good stuff to that fucker. I still have the Q manual though. And of course a 1 gig folder dating back to those days that somehow worms it's way onto all the PCs in my life. You never know when you'll be freelancing in an office and it turns out one of the other artists is an old quake player. Proper old quake. Not Q3. And you "say guess what I have.." and then 4 hours later it's midnight and the fraglimit of 100 has been hit on Aerowalk and your eyes are glazed over like it's 1997. It's rare, but it does happen.

EZQuake is by far the best Q1 version if you're looking for a streamlined "original QW" experience.

News Comments > Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Monday
6. Re: Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Monday Jun 22, 2011, 16:19 Dmitri_M

The reality is that if the art resources aren't designed from the ground up to be high fidelity, a few little hyped GPU tricks will not vastly improve visuals.

I bought Crysis 2 with an open mind a few days ago just looking for an average FPS to tide me over, but got bored of it fairly quickly. Seems incredibly linear. Even more so than the original as there's very little lateral moves you can make. The jungle paths in 2 allowed at least the pretense of some freedom.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 16:26.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Firefox Jun 21, 2011, 06:08 Dmitri_M

I probably need to cull some of my addons, but man Firefox is slow.  

News Comments > Tropico 4 Trailer
5. Re: Tropico 4 Trailer Jun 21, 2011, 04:42 Dmitri_M

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 16:47:
isometric view, mixed with Sim City, Tropico, Syndicate (amass citizens)

Yeah I'd love anything Syndicate like right now. Starved for a good cyberpunk\futuristic city\sci-fi game. Something with brutality that doesn't appear childlike.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 20, 2011, 10:10 Dmitri_M

Tumbler wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 09:59:

...yes? Consoles have multiple configs right now. Different hdd sizes, some had no hdd's, the ps3's quickly dropped ps2 backwards compatability, I think the ps3 has 5 different models at this point?

You cannot compare store bought fixed models to actual "expandability".

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 20, 2011, 08:56 Dmitri_M

Armengar wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 05:30:
expandability? What and hamstring newer model sales?

Can you imagine the average console gamer dealing with multiple configurations?

News Comments > Betting on Duke Pays Off
22. Re: Betting on Duke Pays Off Jun 19, 2011, 09:41 Dmitri_M

My father is a hoarder. Although of antique's a percentrage of which does have some value. I dread having to sort through it after he goes.

Lorcin wrote on Jun 19, 2011, 08:37:
He had 3 vcrs going at once at one point to record them all. He still has the tapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Jun 19, 2011, 06:44 Dmitri_M

Teddy wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 21:24:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 15:31:
Why is IGNorant reviewing a sophisticated PC title they have no ability to ever understand?

So you're suggesting it doesn't deserve the 8/10 rating they gave it?

That 8 out of 10 isn't driven by what the reviewer thought of the game, it's that he knows the general consensus is that it's good.

That's the same reasoning behind places trashing a title in the actual piece and then giving it a "8.1" or a "7.5".

1852 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo