Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dmitri_M

Real Name Dmitri_M   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 18, 2004, 05:49
Total Comments 1940 (Pro)
User ID 22350

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
52. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 20, 2015, 04:12 Dmitri_M

harlock wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:40:
nimski wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:37:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 12:37:
Regarding the use of the word afrikaans word Apartheid's use in video games. It's chasing controversy but I have no personal issue with it. I mean, the word is synonymous with segregation. It's practically a synonym at this point. Not in good taste perhaps but..

It's always been a general term as I understood it as well (including the dictonary entry as Desalus points out). There's a small country in the Middle-East that bends over backwards to control the usage of that word as well, and it certainly wouldn't be beyond them to produce some faux-outrage over it's usage.

Origin of APARTHEID

Afrikaans, from apart apart + -heid -hood
First Known Use: 1947

pretty fuckin clear cut if you ask me

If the word came into use in 1947, it's likely because the official segregation policy of Apartheid started in 1948.. The word itself has no meaning outside of describing that historical policy. In the last decade it has been applied to other states of segregation in other parts of the world. The word's uses are becoming broader outside of just a South African context.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 12:37 Dmitri_M

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:28:
Apparently there's an existing controversy in the news about Apartheid flags replacing Confederate ones as a symbol of prejudice and discrimination in the more backward parts of America, brought to light by an association with the suspect in the supposedly racially-motivated shooting in Charleston a couple days ago. So it seems a fair bit of bad timing for Squeenix and the reveal of this game using that phrase as a slugline.

I personally know South African "rednecks" who immigrated to the US. They moved to the deep south. Which in many ways is similar to parts of South Africa. Hyper religious, backward thinking etc. The one guy sent links to gatherings of South Africans there all brandishing the "old South African" flag (this is how it is known to us) and celebrating the "good old days". This was maybe 2 or so years ago. I found it somehow ridiculous and disgusting at the same time.

That this flag would find it's way onto that Charleston's shooters jacket is something I can't quite wrap my head around. I associate that flag firmly with the past and I'd prefer it remained buried.

Regarding the use of the word afrikaans word Apartheid's use in video games. It's chasing controversy but I have no personal issue with it. I mean, the word is synonymous with segregation. It's practically a synonym at this point. Not in good taste perhaps but..

News Comments > DAYZ Creator Announces ION
10. Re: DAYZ Creator Announces ION Jun 15, 2015, 17:53 Dmitri_M

Working at Bohemia probably left him no choice but to jump ship.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 31, 2015, 20:07 Dmitri_M

Australia is nice. Lived there 3 months.

The only downside I found was the repetitive nature of the landscape. Same Eucalypti trees for miles. Culturally, I felt like I was in an ex-British colony that had decided to transform itself into the American mid-west without the religion but all the same cultural sterility.The isolated feel of the place too got under my skin, which is a personal thing. I grew up somewhere with a similar "end of the earth feel". While I find Europe almost too dense, at least I feel like there are always new things close by to do.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. May 31, 2015, 10:33 Dmitri_M

For me at least, this sort of thing works great in brief skits. The 2 minute trailer was great, but the complete film dragged.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
34. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 16, 2015, 05:38 Dmitri_M

jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2015, 21:41:
Dagnamit wrote on May 15, 2015, 20:14:
HorrorScope wrote on May 15, 2015, 19:42:
Yeah thanks, how about your damn products specs?

Got to think NVidia will have it's new line come out right around these devices release. I would think many will be looking at 1070's for VR.

2160×1200, or 1080x1200 per eyeball, or about 2.6 million pixels total. It's a little concerning from a PPI standpoint, but they may also be using a more compact screen with different optics, so screen door is lessened. That being said, with the galaxy s6 1440p amoled screen in the wild and used in millions of devices, I'm surprised it's so low. 1440p must have been too many pixels.

Yeah, I thought CV1 would be 1440P for sure. I think you've hit the nail though: they figured that to hit the 90hz framerate with a reasonable graphics card, it couldn't go above 1200P. But as you mention, 1200P is only about 1.25x greater pixels than 1080P, so I assume we'll still have the screen door effect, just slightly lessened. We'll probably see 1440P in CV2, or "Oculus Rift Plus!" or whatever they want to call it a year or so after the initial release.

They should be maximising the resolution. Having tried a Dk1 and found that most serious games that aren't simplistic tech demos were unplayable due to the low resolution, I'm disappointed they're comprising on resolution.

I did not try a dk2, but I heard similar complaints from people in my office who had it.

I'd be happy to play a game at lowered settings to get maximum frame rate at a higher resolution.

But then that's me, a guy who will use the rift for Dcs, racing simulators and ArmA. "niche" sim games. Dropping the res to cater to gamers incapable of conceiving of dropping settings on their 500 dollar Crysis benchmarking card is sad. Seems a disconnect between the players who will benefit the most from this, and who they think they can make money from.

Sim games support VR requirements out of the box, but you need a high resolution to support the UIs and seeing far into the distance for shooting things, seeing the shape of road 100 meters away in a sim racing game etc.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2015, 08:26 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 10, 2015, 21:18:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2015, 20:52:
Cutter wrote on May 10, 2015, 18:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2015, 17:10:
Cutter wrote on May 10, 2015, 15:04:
Breakfast In Bed Served To Mom Who Just Got Eaten Out

Damn! Really? That's just nasty. No one needs to go there.

Did you read the article?

Yes. You obviously didn't.

“Ooh, what a treat!” said Taylor while receiving a tray of scrambled eggs, pancakes, and orange juice, sitting up on the same damp sheets upon which she had moments earlier moaned in pleasure as her husband’s firm tongue rapidly contorted in and around her slick vagina.

Maybe you've got mommy issues and think that's hot, but for most normal people that's disgusting. Is that how you think about mom? Getting her salad tossed and railed by your dad?

*facepalm*

He's not the sharpest stick.

Yet he is the bluntest of tools.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Modding Clarified
15. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Modding Clarified May 8, 2015, 10:55 Dmitri_M

I've been known to spend an evening attacking other players randomly. It can be quite fun if they accept it as a challenge. Spent one Sunday in a citywide deathmatch chasing, and being chased.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews May 8, 2015, 04:16 Dmitri_M

Most game designers I've worked with are usually the least qualified people in the studio. After producers of course. They make important decisions about art and programming while understanding neither.

Designer. Notepad and spreadsheet operator.

But maybe this rant says more about my luck or lack there of in finding good employment.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Tips
22. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Tips May 2, 2015, 08:09 Dmitri_M

Slick wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 17:25:
anyone who knows my posts on here knows that i'm usually on the side of compromise and even-tempered discourse. that's why i hope it resonates that i'm acting like a whiney bitch about *insert issue*.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patched
42. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched May 2, 2015, 08:05 Dmitri_M

Couldn't work out how to swim either. Their choice of controls for this was just odd.  

News Comments > DOOM Map Sources & More Released
15. Re: DOOM Map Sources & More Released Apr 27, 2015, 03:28 Dmitri_M

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 22:24:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 19:49:
Oh my god, if you haven't played Brutal Doom, do it now! Stop what you're doing. Play Brutal Doom. It makes Doom a modern game and it provides the best shooting and level design I've seen in years.

When I first saw Brutal doom, I thought ID software was fucking stupid. All they need to do is take brutal doom, cut the developers in on the cash and revamp it into a new engine with updated graphics and keep the same combat and they'll have an AAA title that would sell.

Brutal Doom works exactly because it's taking the original sprite graphics and doing crazy stuff. In an updated engine...it just wouldn't be the same.

It's a novelty.

I think most of us, and more importantly the buying masses have moved on from this sort of gameplay. Look at Wolf's recent successful followup. It feature developed characters, scripted events, all the things that make games "modern". I don't know if a Old Doom style title now would be anything more than a retro gimmick people boot once or twice and never play again.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Preorders
7. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Preorders Apr 24, 2015, 04:24 Dmitri_M

I don't need patience for this release. I skip straight to booting HOMM3.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Trailer
6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Trailer Apr 24, 2015, 04:16 Dmitri_M

I played the hell out of ravenshield. I long ago gave up on the swat themed COD titles Ubisoft has been selling using the Rainbow Six name. 5 years ago I might have been all jaded indignant gamer about yet another of these titles, but now..whatever.  

34. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched Apr 22, 2015, 13:50 Dmitri_M

The waiting for avatar animations and the first person view is literally a camera inside your player model's models head is why the perceived lag is high, and also why so many complain about OFP/ArmA as having "lag".

It's simply a different system compared to your gun is your head (quake, counterstrike, anything originally based on an ID engine).

It isn't lazy, what other choice do they have for implementing a FPS view? Having it use a completely different system would break all kinds of mechanics. So I can turn faster in FPS compared to third person? It isn't hard to understand why they need both systems to be identical, even if the one suffers for it.

This kind of hand wringing is why some of us should stick to playing games and not developing them. Choices need to be made.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2015, 13:55.

29. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched Apr 22, 2015, 08:05 Dmitri_M

I'm using the directplay setting for mouse controls. My FPS is ok - considering I'm running it on a 570m (560TI desktop) - yet I'm surprised I'm able to play at all with the shrill posts by Slick.

And I know mouselag. I still play twitchy lagfree Quake 1 on a semi-regular basis. And I remember the PC port of Dead Space 1 which had atrocious gameplay ruining mouse lag.

Yet somehow GTAV doesn't seem that bad at all. Completely playable.

Slick wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 03:57:
<shrill snip>
You're kind of an excitable, throw-your-dress-over-your-head-and-run-clean-into-a-wall, kinda guy, huh?

News Comments > Evening Patches
10. Re: Evening Patches Apr 18, 2015, 12:25 Dmitri_M

I can confirm some mouse lag with the default raw setting. Switching to directinput improved it for me. And making sure my graphics settings were low enough to keep FPS high. Input seems tied to FPS.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
280. Re: LOL at the 1st person FOV!!! Apr 17, 2015, 23:48 Dmitri_M

If you read some of the last few posts in Trevor's voice the thread is actually fun.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
94. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 17, 2015, 04:34 Dmitri_M

Quinn wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 09:24:
In contrast of that, I was absolutely AMAZED by how fantastic the game looked when suddenly it started raining and thundering like mad. I can honestly say that I have never yet seen a game look this good in such a setting, all at 60fps. It was A-MA-ZING. I cannot express it enough.

Seconded. Best looking thunderstorm and lightning visuals I've ever seen in a game. Was blown away when I saw it last night for the first time.

Far as the anisotropic filtering goes, it may be devs somehow downsampling mipmaps on the fly rather than any specific filtering setting. I also noticed how poor higher detail anisotropic looked.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
47. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 17:28 Dmitri_M

I need to unload the 500000 in pre-order dollars. It's a buzz kill. I feel like I cheated in SP.  

1940 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo