Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing"
32. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing" Jan 24, 2012, 05:37 Bhruic

Again, those are all gameplay balance issues. They don't have to change the game engine. They don't have to redo the combat mechanics. They might have to modify the UI a bit, but they don't have to do a complete change.

The changes they've proposed definitely are going to add time, and it's likely to be extra months, rather than weeks. But it's not going to be years, as some people are implying.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 01:43 Bhruic

We're dropping Defense, Attack, and Precision as attributes, Armor is taking over for what Defense used to provide, +Physical Resist will take over for Armor, and +Chance to Crit will fill in for Precision. Obviously these stat changes are one of the bigger systems changes we're currently working on as they have far reaching requirements to re-itemize and balance the game.

Ok, sure, large amounts of item changes. But they aren't changing the core game mechanics at all. All they are doing is rebalancing the items. That'll take some time, certainly, but it doesn't require that they fundamentally change gameplay.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
55. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 17:15 Bhruic

Krovven was talking about Steam's player stats, and in the case of Steamwork games like Skyrim, everyone shows up on those stats regardless of if they bought the game directly from Steam or elsewhere.

Not true. You only show up if you are running in online mode, and launch via Steam.

23. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 17:09 Bhruic

I keep hearing about these so-called "core" changes, but where are they? The only changes I've seen announced are all simply balance changes. Removing ID scrolls? Hardly core. Can't use "normal" items for crafting mats? Balance change. Etc, etc.

Sure, the changes need to be tested, but it's not like they are going to have to make significant code changes for any of them. A few weeks (or "months" as Blizzard calls them ) of extra testing, and they are good to go.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 Bhruic

Skyrim is a Steamworks game, so pretty much everyone who bought it shows up on the Steam count. The AC games aren't Steamworks games, so only the people who bought the games through Steam show up on the Steam count. Granted, I've little doubt Skyrim has far more people playing than all the AC games combined anyway, but using Steams numbers isn't a fair comparison.

Considering we are having a discussion about Steam sales, I think using Steam numbers would be an entirely fair comparison. If people buy their games somewhere other than Steam, they aren't going to show up on Steam's top ten list, now are they?

News Comments > Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM
50. Re: Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM Jan 20, 2012, 21:52 Bhruic

Hell, if they don't believe the huge amount of people in gaming forums (including the hundreds on their own forums) who proclaim the DRM cost them a sale, I doubt a letter will make a difference

Actually, a letter is something that would likely make a significant difference. Making a post on a forum is quick, easy and painless - as well as anonymous - so forum posts tend to be ignored. Writing a letter, on the other hand, shows that you actually care enough to put in the effort and be identified. I forget what the letter writing to irate customer ratio is, but it's pretty high.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2012, 14:01 Bhruic

He's being extradited to the US and the US was the primary instigator that pushed for his arrest.

Ok, so the comments here weren't with regards to bail being denied, just the general situation.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2012, 13:00 Bhruic

I'm confused over what we are discussing... Were there than many NZ bankers get bailouts, or are people thinking that this took place in the US?  

News Comments > Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM
15. Re: Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM Jan 20, 2012, 12:56 Bhruic

This is one of the areas that annoys me more in theory than it does in practise. I mean, I guess it decreases game longevity, and there are some quite older games that I still play, but in general, I might do a single graphics card switch during the period I'm playing a game, but that'd be it. Doing 3 would be unheard of, and even then, you can call in to get more activations.

Not that it doesn't annoy me regardless, since having to jump through hoops to play a game I paid for is damn irritating, but I have a hard time getting too worked up over this particular problem. Their online requirement is an order of magnitude worse in that regard.

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
35. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 19, 2012, 17:30 Bhruic

No announcements, no news, not even big fat previews or hype.

There's been plenty of news, just not of the "major" variety. They've also released at least one trailer, although it was less a gameplay one and more their typical "movie" style. But they've mentioned quite a few of the new units in the game, for example.

News Comments > BioWare on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer
7. Re: BioWare on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Jan 19, 2012, 12:12 Bhruic

Any resources that could go into making ME3 a longer, more complete singleplayer game should not be diverted into multiplayer.

SXO has a good point, but again, I don't agree with this one. You could have said the same thing about BGII, that they shouldn't have put resources into multiplayer because they could have used them for singleplayer. But that's just speculation. My criteria is having a great singleplayer experience. BGII had that, so speculation over whether it could have been "better" if they forgoed any multiplayer is moot. If they can do that with ME3, than I'm not worried about how they allocated their resources. If the game is released and the singleplayer is deficient, at that point we can speculate about whether the multiplayer component dragged it down.

News Comments > Mass Effect Demo for Valentine's
26. Re: Mass Effect Demo for Valentine's Jan 19, 2012, 12:09 Bhruic

I think even calling it another DD service is generous, there isn't much of an actual service aspect to Origin. It's a very barebones client front end without much in the way of comparative features to Steam. My biggest problem with Origin is how lazy EA has been with it when they had a real opportunity to innovate.

Now that I agree with. EA has a lot of resources behind it, and they could have made Origin a lot better than it is. Had they tried to compete with Steam on features, rather than simply locking their games to it, I think they could have done so - Steam falls down in quite a few areas. Unfortunately, they haven't chosen to do so.

Although, really, comparing it to other DDs, I'm not sure it's really that much worse. I haven't used Impulse recently, but last time I did, it was pretty poor too. Steam certainly is far from perfect, but they're still head-and-shoulders above most of them.

25. Re: Mass Effect Demo for Valentine's Jan 19, 2012, 12:06 Bhruic

I love people who will buy ME3 but just not with Origin even tho you still have to use it to play and your still supporting this pathetic service and company.

Damned hypocrites.

Really like to know where the hypocrisy supposedly is. Sure, to the extent that I'm buying a game from EA, I'm "supporting" EA, but I've done that with plenty of games in the past, so why is it somehow different just because they have Origin? I'm not buying it directly from them, so they aren't getting the 100% of the sale price they are after. Am I forced to run Origin? Yup, but as I'm not using it for anything but launching the game, I'm not "supporting" them with that either.

And that's assuming that I think Origin/EA are some sort of evil combination, which I don't. I'm already using Origin for BF3, and haven't had any problems with it. While I'm not a fan of having to have multiple launch platforms running, it's really no more intruisive or annoying than Steam is once it's running.

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 00:47 Bhruic

Wikipedia even did it fairly well, in that they only seemed to block the site for US users. At least, up here, I could access the site all day fine, so I'm assuming they must not have blocked it globally.  

News Comments > BioWare on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer
4. Re: BioWare on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Jan 19, 2012, 00:45 Bhruic

I actually had some fun playing BGII multiplayer, so the thought of multiplayer in an RPG doesn't automatically turn me off. My only issue will be whether they make multiplayer necessary in any fashion. As long as it's an optional thing, then I don't really have a problem with it.  

9. Re: Mass Effect Demo for Valentine's Jan 19, 2012, 00:35 Bhruic

In the spirit of giving credit where it's due... It's nice to see that they're actually bothering with a PC demo. Too often we see the "XBox360, PS3" demo, with nothing for the PC, so kudos for making one.

And as I've already gone with Origin for BF3, using it for ME3 won't bother me much. But as with Creston, I won't be buying it there. All the complaints over Origin strike me as kind of silly from that perspective - it's a pretty unintruisive program overall as long as you, well, don't really use it for anything. And as there's no real need to use it, or buy from it, requiring it to run the game is dumb, but rather harmless. Buy from Amazon (or one of the other DDs that sell it), and you're still not "supporting" EA.

News Comments > The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed
18. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 15:42 Bhruic

Its true people like to do different things but I speak mainly to those who level to the cap by playing non-stop in the first week or two and then complain there is nothing to do and quit the game. Many of these people also flock to the online forums to state how bad the game is due to lack of content.

Sure, but games these days should be keeping that in mind. They know that people are going to do that, and then complain if there's no content, so they need to have some content for people to do. And that's "content", not "grinding".

Personally, I haven't played a single MMO that had sufficient interesting things to do at level cap, regardless of how long it took me to get there.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
112. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 16, 2012, 00:03 Bhruic

PS - Are there any games currently on Steam that require Origin? Is it possible that Valve is blocking Origin itself? It seems plausible, though why would they continue to allow GFWL? The whole situation is very confusing and it doesn't help that Valve has been silent on the matter.

AFAIK Crysis 2 doesn't require Origin, so there'd be no reason to block it if they only wanted to block Origin games.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 15, 2012, 17:43 Bhruic

You know, after the 'phone hacking' scandal, Rupert Murdoch is the last person I think anyone should be listening to on, well, anything.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 14, 2012, 18:40 Bhruic

Because the person voicing Kerrigan before wasn't Six?

She did the first SC2 one, sure, but Glynnis Talken Campbell did the voice for both SC1 and Brood War.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo