Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Financials
37. Re: EA Financials Feb 2, 2012, 14:47 Bhruic

Xbox Rev 505 mil
PS3 Rev 493 mil
Wii Rev 52 mil
Mobile Rev 83 mil
PC Rev 428 mil (Think if they released most of their sports games on the pc)

It'd be interesting to see that broken down into "sales vs revenue". If they sell 5 million games on an XBox360, but are only making $10/copy, sell 2 million on PC at $25/copy, they'd have the same revenue, despite a vast difference in sales (numbers made up, of course). Are lower sales on PC acceptable because of higher profit? Or do they make the same regardless of platform (seems unlikely)?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Feb 2, 2012, 14:43 Bhruic

It would equate to pretty much the same thing though.

I tend to doubt it. Were Steam to go under for some reason, and everyone lost access to their games, the public outcry would likely force publishers to grant access in some other fashion. Having one person lose access to their game collection doesn't have that scope, so can easily be overlooked (although the media outlets have been doing a decent job of reporting on some of the more egregious situations).

News Comments > Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives
28. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 14:36 Bhruic

I don't see how his point is arguable. What major non-MMO PC-exclusive games are there anymore since Titan Quest besides Crysis, a game that was also pirated to hell and back?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (thanks West Wing!)?

Look at when consoles started to appear at roughly the power of PCs. Look at when PC-exclusive titles started to diminish.

Now, ask publishers if they would rather have a PC-exlusive title that had no piracy, or as PC/XBox360/PS3 release that had piracy. Financially speaking, the latter is going to earn them substantially more money than the former (all other factors being equal).

18. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 11:55 Bhruic

It's not a bad game but it just feels like Fantasy Mashup 2012 and I thought the Salvatore story stuff in the demo was incredibly boring.

Salvatore really isn't that good of a plot writer, imo. His self-described main strength as a writer is his combat - which obviously wouldn't translate into a game. Frankly, there are much better authors out there they could have got, but maybe he worked for a discount?

16. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 11:52 Bhruic

THQ killed Iron Lore.

Considering the state of THQ, that's not hard to believe. Kinda sad, as while I didn't enjoy TQ as much as some did, I wouldn't have minded them improving the game in a sequel. And giving Blizzard more of a run for their money.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2012, 11:44 Bhruic

Wait, there are actually people who believe this? I mean, sane people? I thought everyone just understood it was a silly thing to do in the middle of winter to "liven it up", so to speak.

Plus it never really struck me as a major holiday anyway. The only thing I do to "celebrate", is watch the movie.

It's cold out there every day.

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
9. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 11:25 Bhruic

You've done about all the protection from piracy you're going to do at this point.

I think Ubisoft could do a lot to regain some good will were it to switch the "online requirement" to a sales window, rather than a constant thing. Were it only to take place for, say, the first 1-3 months of the game's release, after which it was removed completely, I could see a lot more people being willing to put up with it (or buying the game after the window was up). And it would have satisfied the requirement to try and stop the initial piracy (although, considering history, it wouldn't really have done that, but...).

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 2, 2012, 11:21 Bhruic

Nice quote Blue! Heck, 80% of the article is just you. Well done.  

7. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 11:17 Bhruic

Ian Frazier is NOT all TQ devs

Good point, I shouldn't malign the sane ones along with the dumb ones.

Some TQ devs have been complaining about piracy continuously since TQ's release, of which, I'm sure, this individual is one of them.

4. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 11:08 Bhruic

Nothing new here, TQ devs have been blaming everything on piracy for years, so it's no surprise they haven't changed their minds (accurate or not).

Still, his point is just idiotic. He admits that the main reason is financial, and then shrugs off the console market, as if they don't increase the financial rewards significantly. Even among the more anti-piracy people, I don't think you'd find many that would agree that piracy for PCs takes away more money than you can make from consoles.

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
2. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 11:03 Bhruic

That's exactly the point, all of these were the "requires online connection" games, so you can't play them - at all - while the servers are down.

edit: Actually, I think the Heroes game only requires the connection for "bonus content", so it might be playable in reduced function mode.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Feb 2, 2012, 09:31 Bhruic

I don't know where people are getting the "if Steam goes under" part? I mean, the article itself is mostly talking about getting banned - rightly or wrongly. That's a much more likely scenario then Steam going under any time in the near future.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 21:58 Bhruic

Damn... 3GB of memory on a videocard?

The 7970 already comes with 3GB. Or is that what you are refering to? It's been out for awhile, so I'm not sure if you were aware of that.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Voice Cast Revealed
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Voice Cast Revealed Feb 1, 2012, 21:56 Bhruic

Well, I think she's an attractive woman, but I certainly would rank her as high as either of those magazines did. I think it's another case of "attractive woman + (fake?) geek cred = UBER HOTNESS". Or something like that. A lot of women seem to become more appealing via that method (which is understandable, if a bit silly).  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2012, 21:52 Bhruic

Is this something people are really worried about? Is the possiblitiy of losing a $50-60 game ten years from now something that keeps people away from Steam? I spend more than that every month on my damn cell phone bill. I spend about that much filling my Corolla up with gas. 10 years from now am I really going to care that I can't replay Left 4 Dead?

It doesn't sound like you've read the article. It's not a case of losing a single game, but losing an entire Steam account. I've got a couple dozen games on mine, and I know I'm on the low end of the spectrum compared to some around here. If Steam decided to cut me off, that'd be a pretty significant game loss. And we aren't talking about a 10 year future hypothetical, we are talking about tomorrow (figuratively speaking).

News Comments > THQ Confirms Cuts
4. Re: THQ Confirms Cuts Feb 1, 2012, 21:31 Bhruic

1 year 50% paycut, probably a smaller but still very substantial bonus, then when 2012 has enormous comps (would be nearly impossible not to) a raise and a mega bonus to celebrate.

You forgot the "And should anything go wrong, a complete golden parachute, and an offer to sit on the board of another company".

News Comments > EA Financials
5. Re: EA Financials Feb 1, 2012, 21:29 Bhruic

Origin™ — EA's direct-to-consumer digital service has registered more than 9.3 million consumers

Say what you will about Origin, but those are some pretty damn impressive numbers, even considering it was tied to BF3. Frankly, I'm surprised that many people have used it.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2012, 21:27 Bhruic

I have backups of every Steam game I own

A good practise, I agree, but I doubt the majority of people work that way. So if they got booted off Steam, for whatever reason, they'd lose their access to the games they didn't have currently installed.

In that case, I'd consider them completely justified in just downloading a pirated copy, assuming that's feasible. Even then, however, they (and you) would still lose out on a lot of multiplayer capabilities.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2012, 21:17 Bhruic

A well written article, sadly with nothing really new to add. It'll be interesting to see the result when some "deep pockets" finally gets this to court - assuming they don't actively ensure that doesn't happen. It'd be nice to see this sort of thing cleared up without a court case, but with government these days, I doubt that'd be any better.  

News Comments > etc.
185. Re: etc. Feb 1, 2012, 20:25 Bhruic

The ol' disagree and I'll ignore you...

Lame.

Well, in my case I'll admit I baited him just a little, but I was getting rather tired of his "Well, I'm not going to talk anymore, but I'm going to make a snide comment about how superior I am on my way out" routine. If you don't want to debate anymore, you can just quit posting - it's what I do.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo