Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 9, 2012, 04:25 Bhruic

There is no such thing as a responsible Apple consumer

By that logic, you might as well say there's no such thing as a responsible electronics user. FoxConn does business (directly or indirectly) with almost the entire computer market. If you own a computer (or cellphone, or tablet, etc), chances are that you have FoxConn components in it.

So anyone who owns any of the above list of items, and is feeling smugly superior about Apple consumers supporting "slave labor", well, you're supporting it yourself.

And unless people want to pay $1000+ for their next Xbox or cellphone, it's very likely that people will continue supporting it, regardless of how their sensibilities are outraged.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim
5. Re: Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim Feb 8, 2012, 22:30 Bhruic

Hmm, the description made it sound like you could get it as a companion or something, but the video makes it look like all it is is an inventory item. A rather useless inventory item as well. So I hope there's a little more to it than that.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim
1. Re: Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim Feb 8, 2012, 20:28 Bhruic

Ok, now this was unexpected.

Of course, when I first read it, I thought "Great, now I can return home to sell stuff faster than ever". But I guess a robot is almost as good as a functional Skyrim portal gun.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront III Outed?
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Outed? Feb 8, 2012, 01:44 Bhruic

Probably not. But how fucking AWESOME would it be if they literally made a Star Wars Battlefield?

It's one of those things that sounds cooler than the reality could ever be.

Although I guess people would finally have a rational for their cheating. "Dude, I was totally just using the force!"

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 22:03 Bhruic

Also in news, money raining from the sky would be "fantastic".  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 03:08 Bhruic

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 01:40:
Skyrim is STILL selling gobs of copies, even with a hugely-discounted game in the running. I'd say that's pretty impressive, rather than the opposite.

I've been told that the top 10 is based on sales dollars rather than sales numbers. If true, then it's a bit less impressive, as W:SM would have to sell a LOT more copies to make up for the sale price difference.

News Comments > EA Vancouver Layoffs
4. Re: EA Vancouver Layoffs Feb 4, 2012, 14:28 Bhruic

Good thing I wasn't playing a drinking game with "transform" and "digital" as my words - I'd have died from alcohol poisoning after reading that.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 3, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

Howsabout hiring people domestically, Tim? Or at least create non-slave labour conditions for your Chinese slaves workers? You could give a billion dollars away and I'd still say Apple was a company of scumbags.

They're just following a widely established process. Be ruthless in business, squeeze every penny, screw over whoever you have to, and then when you are filthy rich, give lots to charities, and be a "philanthropist". Bill Gates did it, and now you actually have people considering him a stand-up guy.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 18:08 Bhruic

Cutting out multiplayer and locking it up behind an "online pass" is completely unacceptable. What's next, selling multiplayer independently from the rest of the game? ("Bundle now and SAVE!")

The annoying thing is that it's going to target the wrong people too. It won't hurt Gamestop, as they'll continue to sell used games at $5 off. But it will hurt the people who buy used games who don't realize they're going to be missing out on content unless the cough up more money.

Sure, in the long run, it might cut down on used sales when everyone wises up to the new tactic, but short term it's going to hurt consumers. And if publishers think consumers will blame Gamestop for it, rather than themselves, well, they're going to be in for a surprise.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 14:57 Bhruic

Don't see how it matters whether I'm pro one side or the other, cus really I'm not.

It doesn't really matter, but your original post was a bit ambiguous, and had you meant it a different way, I might have been inclined to argue about it. However, it appears we have roughly the same viewpoint on this issue, so nothing to butt heads over.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 13:36 Bhruic

It's a double edged sword, there is no black and white. Don't see how that is hard to figure out.

Well, it's not hard for me to figure out what I believe, it's trying to figure out what you believe that I'm having trouble with.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 13:29 Bhruic

The main problem is that GameStop has little reason to want to sell a New copy of a game over a Used version of the game. If they reduce their prices, they will reduce the amount they give on trade, thus will still make make the same margin on the sale of Used games. So nothing changes.

Ok, but what I'm trying to find out is if you are against the idea of selling used games in general, or just have an issue with the way Gamestop does it? The second half of your post leads me to believe the former, but I'd like to be sure.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 3, 2012, 13:16 Bhruic

I already saw an article where they use realistic numbers, but the sheer lack on knowledge of the original article is amusing - or scary. Maybe both.

Warren says hard-core gamers often soup up systems by adding motherboards

Yup, I'm up to 15 motherboards now! I think I can squeeze a little more power out of my system if I add another couple motherboards. You know, really soup up my system.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 13:12 Bhruic

So would you be less annoyed by Gamestop if they were selling the used game for less? Or should they be making more on new copies, to give them more incentive to push those?  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 12:53 Bhruic

I do think they are currently the best option for Publishers to hurt GameStop and other shops from exploiting the sales of used games.

Can you expand on what you are defining as "exploiting" used game sales?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up
51. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up Feb 3, 2012, 10:05 Bhruic

You have anecdotal evidence that there are lots of "subtle" cheaters and I have anecdotal evidence that there are not lots of "subtle" cheaters.

How exactly can you have evidence that people aren't subtly cheating, when the entire nature of subtly cheating is that it's extremely difficulty to identify? You could play for the next 10 years, and never be able to tell for sure, for example, that someone was using a "no-recoil" cheat.

News Comments > etc.
205. Re: etc. Feb 3, 2012, 10:00 Bhruic

Simply put, you've said repeatedly that you feel (or, sometimes, that it's just your wife that does, this relates to my third point below) that homosexuals do not deserve the same benefits and life that you deserve.

Well, not that he'll be reading either of these posts ( ), but in fairness, this he hasn't said. In fact, in this very thread, his words were: "Personally I find the whole idea of homosexuality disgusting, but if it makes other people happy, it isn't hurting anyone, and it's not in my face to the point of being obnoxious, I can't really oppose it. If I'm honest with myself, I can't come up with any good reason that gay people can't marry if they want to. "

Mostly in this thread, he's been putting forth a defense of the Christian position, without actually subscribing to the Christian position itself (or, at least, that's my understanding of it). That is to say he's been putting for an idealized Christian position, as there are plenty of Christians who missed the sermon on "Love thy neighbour".

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
37. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 19:08 Bhruic

Yeah, I really love the KB series. I was a big fan of HoMM3, and nothing since has really seemed in the same class. KB gives most of the same feel, but without a lot of the tedium. Can't wait for the next iteration to come out.  

News Comments > Mythos Global Open Beta
4. Re: Mythos Global Open Beta-IP Blocking Feb 2, 2012, 15:19 Bhruic

And yet none of the SE Asia countries appear blocked, it's almost all Eastern European countries. Rather odd list from that perspective. Wonder if it's some sort of legal issue?  

News Comments > Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives
32. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 15:10 Bhruic

So they likely can get more money making a new game for PC than for console.

The question isn't so much about what platform has the highest profit margin, it's whether the amount they "lose" to piracy is equal to or greater than the amount they make from consoles. Now, if there truly was a 1:1 piracy:lost sale ratio, then yes, that could be the case, but I think even publishers are well aware that's not the case.

You're effectively continuing the process of price discrimination by willingness to wait, but taking a new half-step to get larger (per-unit) profits from the PC crowd first.

Oh, absolutely, there are different ways they could try and maximize profit. I'm certainly not saying that that's not possible. But honestly, even without piracy, what company would make an AAA game PC-exclusive at this point? Even a game like BF3, where 95% of the game is online, still is going to get ported. Sure, it got pirated, but not by anyone wanting to play online. So from a "lost sales" perspective, I imagine it's one of the lowest recent games out there. But I doubt EA considered even for a moment not releasing it for XBox360/PS3.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo