Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch Today
6. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch Today Feb 14, 2012, 11:28 Bhruic

Support for an unreleased product line, but no fixes for the various exploits in the game? Way to have your priorities straight.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
43. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 08:20 Bhruic

Would you give money to Will Wright sight-unseen?
1) Spore
3) He has enough publisher clout to do whatever he wants whenever he wants

Way to contradict yourself in your own post. Wright was pretty clear about the game he wanted to make. That game was not the Spore that came out. The Spore that came out is the way it is because EA wanted the game more "accessible" (ie, dumbed down).

I wouldn't give money to any dev sight-unseen, but I would definitely be interested in seeing what he could come up with unshackled by any publisher interference.

40. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 07:57 Bhruic

Or, to put it more succinctly, once they have your money, to whom are they accountable?  

35. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 06:19 Bhruic

I just want to lol at obsidian riding on more coattails.

I think your analogy is wrong. Or, if apt, then whoever has on the coat isn't moving anywhere. Obsidian's games are generally buggy, true, but they almost always surpass the original edition of the game (I won't go over the list, Jerykk has already done that). The only game they've made that I haven't liked is Alpha Protocol, but that was mainly because of a gamebreaking bug (the mouse controls).

News Comments > Op Ed
69. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2012, 05:15 Bhruic

Therefore, if Obsidian made a spiritual successor to PST, these consumers would be happy.

It would depend on the direction that they took. While I think Fallout 3 was a good game, there were quite a few people who were fans of the original 2 who didn't like it. Obviously that wasn't a Kickstarter project, but there's no reason to believe that similar results couldn't take place with sequels to other popular games. Removing the publisher gives more freedom, but that doesn't mean the freedom is going to go in a direction people enjoy. Peter Molynieux, for example, seems to have had a lot of freedom in his game designs, but Black & White doesn't really compare to Populous.

Personally, I suspect this system will be beneficial to low budget indie games, and help out the odd mid budget "name recognition" company, but it's not going to be the "wave of the future". Although just accomplishing those two goals will make it worth it regardless.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
58. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 21:47 Bhruic

I don't know but at the very least Steam tends to automatically remove old demos/betas if you get the full game later.

I've still got the RO2 and TF2 betas listed in my Steam games, so they aren't exactly stellar at removing old betas.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
31. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 12:33 Bhruic

I enjoyed the first two, so I'll definitely be getting part 3 (not sure if right away, or wait for first sale). Sure, it's not hardcore RPG, but what it does, it does well. I like (most of the) characters, and the voice acting is top-notch (FemShep ftw!).

And it's especially nice to see it coming out during "drought" times, as I'd rather not pick up KoA, but I might be tempted with nothing else (new) to play.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2012, 23:14 Bhruic

Duh. Which is why it is treated the same as DWI.

Isn't the problem there that they can't test for it? I mean, they can test if it's in your system, but that only shows that you've had some within the last couple weeks, not whether you are currently high.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 23:11 Bhruic

I'm surprised that after this long in the business he hasn't developed the focus and self-discipline necessary to see his ideas through to the end

Um, that's a rather naive statement. Plenty of larger design studios cancel games in development too, for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the game design is something that you decide won't sell well. Or it's too close to another game that's on the market. Or it's technologically unfeasible at the current time.

There are plenty of entirely valid reasons to shelve a game project and change focuses to something else instead. Acting as if it's because of a lack of "self-discipline" is in rather poor taste.

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
47. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 12, 2012, 08:21 Bhruic

Granted, most of Skyrim's literature isn't directly pertinent to any of the quests or characters but to automatically dismiss it as filler is a bit short-sighted

It's filler from the point of quests was my point. Reading about Saarthal, for example, can provide quite a bit of detail about what it was, why it existed, and how its downfall came about. But it does absolutely nothing in terms of affecting how the quest plays out, or giving you any insight into different paths to choose in going about the quest. It's just "here's the backstory on Saarthal". Nice, but not relevant to the quest plot.

45. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 12, 2012, 05:28 Bhruic

Again, your opinion on the presentation may vary, but that doesn't mean the content and story aren't there.

I never said they aren't there. I said they aren't very good, because, well, they are not. The plot lines are incredibly shallow, boring, and one dimensional. They are lacking in any degree of moral ambiguity, world cohesion, and meaningful player choice. When you compare then to something like Fallout: New Vegas, it's pretty painfully apparent that they aren't even in the same league (and F:NV isn't even the pinnacle of plot/storyline, although it's pretty good).

If you read through a book in the game, and it provides information on a quest or plot thereof, it's a part of the story, not "background. "

Sorry, you're wrong. It only becomes part of the story if it actually impacts how things play out in the game. If there is no actual in-game difference between doing the quest without reading the book, and doing the quest with reading the book (and there never is), then the book is completely superfluous to the plot. It's filler, even if it makes interesting reading.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
19. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 11, 2012, 18:48 Bhruic

Star Trek is decent and all, but it's not one of those settings that seems to work well for games. They've pulled off one or two that haven't completely sucked, but in general, they have been quite lackluster. I suppose they are desperate to try and get another movie tie-in - haven't they realized those rarely do well?  

43. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 11, 2012, 18:44 Bhruic

You're not going to get the full depth of the story unless you actually read the books, notes, and talk to characters. Running through the question for XP is like complaining about how little there was in NYC based solely on what you saw from the freeway.

You're confusing background with plot. Skyrim has a good background - it should, considering they've been building it for 5 games - but that doesn't mean it has good storylines for the plots. Even the very best plots have quite weak storylines.

I've got 240+ hour into it, and I'm STILL finding new locations, main quests, and unique story elements.

Quantity doesn't equal quality.

40. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 11, 2012, 01:17 Bhruic

Huh. I wonder if he'll feel that way after we see all the DLC-support that this game will receive over the next year.

Most likely. I am surprised however, I've yet to see anyone claim that the storylines in Skyrim are good - are you the first?

There's no doubt the game shines in other areas (I did call it a "great game" after all), but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any deficiencies, and the storylines are some of the more glaring ones.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2012, 20:30 Bhruic

Agreed. If they had been using the old release system we'd probably be still waiting for the V5 release that started fixing all of the memory problems.

You know it's entirely possible to push out rapid fixes without having to bump up the major version number, right?

News Comments > Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death
38. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 17:52 Bhruic

Imagine judging Diablo 2 based on Act 1 quest 1. How many times did you die doing the Den of Evil on normal?

Effectively, from what I understand (didn't get my beta invite *sniff*), that's what we have in Diablo 3. So it's no surprise that people aren't dying. When you get to the later Acts and difficulty levels, I'm sure death will be more common.

18. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 10, 2012, 16:32 Bhruic

The tragedy of Skyrim is in its potential. It's a great game as is, but they could have done a lot more with it, especially in the story department.

Still, when you look at the competition, you can appreciate the things that Skyrim does right.

News Comments > Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips
10. Re: Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips Feb 9, 2012, 23:44 Bhruic

Very very well?
3 million in first month, 5 million to date. And since this is a PC only game, those are PC only sales numbers.

Sure, but that's maybe 2 copies sold outside of South Korea?

And my point was more how many people around here complained that SC2 didn't bring anything "new" to the table, and was just a "rehash" of SC1.

Blizzard can't win.

News Comments > Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips
4. Re: Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips Feb 9, 2012, 21:18 Bhruic

Why piss in the soup and not just serve up the same soup with slightly better looking visuals.

Because they saw how well that worked out for them when they did it with Starcraft 2?

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
34. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 21:09 Bhruic

Because I don't feel like having two $1000+ rigs in my home

Considering how many people have disproved the "you have to have a $1000+ rig to game on" line, I'm surprised you're still parroting it.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo