Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 20, 2012, 09:27 Bhruic

I think the problem is obvious - no curtains. What kind of window doesn't have curtains?!?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 19, 2012, 17:54 Bhruic

I'm surprised to see Alan Wake that high, considering how long it's been since the console release, I didn't think that many people would have been waiting for, and interested in, a port (or a port back).  

News Comments > On Mass Effect 3 DRM
66. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 19, 2012, 17:29 Bhruic

My primary point was that EA prices are way above the industry average. Most games are launched at 30 and EA is launching between 35-45, despite taking a larger percentage of the profit. Meanwhile, Valve has offered much better prices with their first-party titles, as well as many third-party titles.

See, again, you are trying to apples and orange it. Quite a few publishers have moved to the $59.99 price point for their AAA games, it's not something only EA have done. But even if they did, again, the price is generally consistent with the other digital distributors - including Steam.

So no, Valve hasn't offered any better prices. In fact, if you want a fun experiment, go find a game on Steam that is less than the corresponding game on Origin that isn't on sale. I did a random search of over a dozen titles, all the prices were identical.

And you've done nothing to prove that Origin has sales that compare to Steam.

Well, that's probably because I've never claimed that they do have sales that compare to Steam. It'd be a stupid claim to make - EA doesn't have the library to do it. Again, randomly selecting a genre, Steam has 523 games under "strategy". EA has 10. And that includes DLC. EA just doesn't have enough games on Origin to be able to have as many games on sale at onces as Valve does with Steam. That doesn't mean they don't have good sales on the games they do have, but if they duplicate by percentage (the only real way they could do it), Valve could easily have 50 games on sale where EA only had 1. Is it any surprise that Valve would get all the publicity over it?

As I've said, if EA wants to win people over it has to offer better deals and larger promotions to attract attention.

Any maybe they'll get to that point. Fuck, at this point in Steam's life cycle, they weren't even close to as good as Origin is now. Steam was an absolute wreck in the first few years of its existence. Do you think that Steam had any "massive sales" at that point in its history?

60. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 19, 2012, 06:30 Bhruic

You CAN'T play ME1 offline

Uh, I played ME1 offline just fine.

54. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 18:18 Bhruic

I don't know about elsewhere but in the UK the prices are ridiculous

You're comparing apples and oranges. For example, Steam price of Kingdoms of Amalur - $59.99, Amazon - $50.99. Steam price of Crusader Kings II - $39.99, Amazon - $35.99. All you are doing is demonstrating that Amazon is generally cheaper than both Steam and Origin. But that doesn't make any comparison between the two. For the record, the Origin price of both games is identical to the Steam price.

Steam prices are pretty hit-and-miss (dependant upon the publisher) but their sales are exceptional, so it represents dramatically better value overall.

Jerykk's point was that Origin has great sales too, and you haven't done anything to disprove that.

Steam is certainly the better system right now, but Origin is in a position to have to play catch up - it doesn't have the library that Steam has. But compared to the early days of Steam, it's quite decent.

44. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:06 Bhruic

If I have to sign up for Origin it kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding Origin.

If EA gets its head out and puts the game and its DLC on Steam then I'll consider it.

So you'd buy it on Steam if you still had to use Origin to activate it?

News Comments > CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine
6. Re: CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine Feb 18, 2012, 11:12 Bhruic

Why not?
Current gen PC's = next gen consoles

Because that's pure speculation? The PS3, for example, had little similarities to the "current PCs" of its era, and required a lot of custom designing for engines. The idea that anyone was able to "take advantage" of it before even knowing the specs of it is laughable.

As was this statement.

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
14. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 09:55 Bhruic

As a Skyrim thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmYNTJDCsk

Holy crap does that mod sound cool!

News Comments > CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine
4. Re: CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine Feb 18, 2012, 09:44 Bhruic

It's nice marketing-speak and all, but since they don't know what the specs are for the "next generation of consoles", they really can make any realistic claims about their ability to take advantage of them.  

37. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 09:42 Bhruic

I cared about ME3 until they made it an Origin exclusive. Now I don't. That will just keep happening.

Well, good to know you still care about ME3 then, because it's not an Origin exclusive. It's not even an Origin digital exclusive. It's being sold through quite a few online vendors, just like BF3 is/was. It's just not being sold through Steam.

How "not being sold through Steam" became "Origin exclusive" still baffles me.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 22:21 Bhruic

Microsoft's mad rush to try and combine the PC and phone/tablet OS is really misguided. I don't know if they think that they can leverage the desktop again, the way they did with IE, but people aren't going to switch to a Windows 8 phone/tablet just because they have Windows on the desktop. And that's assuming people having Windows 8 on the desktop. There's a good reason that Vista uptake was so low, and that's because there was no desire to upgrade. Once you've got a good working system, making fundamental changes to it is the last think you want to do.

I guess from their point of view, they've backed themselves into a corner of coming obsolescence, so they have to gamble to try and break into other markets, but I can't see this paying off for them.

5. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 17, 2012, 22:11 Bhruic

As for the whole Origin thing, I do not need my games spread across more than one download service. Accounts with this, accounts with that. Oh shit game ABC is with service XYZ not 123.

Fragmentation is nothing but evil. Not to mention the lack of choice for the user because EA wants to be supreme overlord with their products.

There's a bit of a disconnect between complaining that you only ever want games on one service, and then complaining about a lack of choice, but ok.

The thing is, you still have a choice about where you buy the game. It's not "exclusive" to Origin. You have to activate the game on Origin, but that's no different than Steamworks games that require you to activate a game on Steam - even if you bought it elsewhere. With the offline mode, you only have to activate ME3 online once, at which point you don't need to do so anymore. Assuming it works the way it's been described, it's actually fairly unobtrusive.

News Comments > 2012 BAFTA Nominees
14. Re: 2012 BAFTA Nominees Feb 16, 2012, 17:29 Bhruic

Hammer wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 15:46:
Bhruic wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:54:
Really? Fifa 2012, LA Noire and Modern Warfare 3 for Best Game? They have some odd standards, apparently.

Fixed it for ya...

No you didn't, CoD:MW3 isn't up for Best Game.

News Comments > 2012 BAFTA Nominees
6. Re: 2012 BAFTA Nominees Feb 16, 2012, 13:54 Bhruic

Really? Fifa 2012 and LA Noire for Best Game? They have some odd standards, apparently.  

News Comments > Civilization V Gods & Kings DLC This Spring
13. Re: Civilization V Gods & Kings DLC This Spring Feb 16, 2012, 13:49 Bhruic

as much as I was looking forward to this game and then was initially against what I thought were big steps backwards, it has come into it's own.

Yup, once the obligatory patches come out for this DLC, it should be a quite good Civ game.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
41. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 04:55 Bhruic

Gotta say, once you get past the early "tutorial" level, I like some of the changes they've made. An expanded skill system, closer to ME1 than 2, and with the added benefit of having some branching to it, rather than simply putting in a point (looks like that's mainly just for Shepherd, the NPCs have a smaller skill pook closer to ME2).

It also seems like you get XP in-mission now, instead of only at the end. Not sure if you get any based on kills, or if it's just for objective completion.

The plots seems a little iffy tho'. I mean, the Reapers land on Earth in "Act 1". The idea that you're going to go off, form an alliance of the other races and make it back to Earth before it's completely destroyed is pretty silly. Hell, Earth is likely to be almost completely gone before you can even make it to the Citadel. Sure, some survivors in a cave might still be around, but any population center will be gone. It's not like there'd be anything left to "save" - unless they make the Reapers a lot less dangerous than they've previously implied they were.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2012, 05:07.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
40. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 04:00 Bhruic

Origin also incorrectly reports download speeds as of a few versions ago anyway, not sure if they ever fixed that bug. It was reporting speeds in some cases faster than peoples caps permitted.

Apparently not, as it just claimed I was getting 3.2MB/s on a 25Mbps connection. Unless it's got some sort of compression technology built into the downloader, which I'd be highly surprised if it did.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 15, 2012, 03:42 Bhruic

Definitely seems like an overreaction. The only thing I could even see being an issue would be the notion that you have to "let" your gf win, implying that she couldn't kick your ass on her own. But even if that's what was objected to, it's pretty damn weak.  

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
6. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Feb 15, 2012, 01:28 Bhruic

On sale? It was only ten bucks to start with.
I have never even heard of it until now, looks interesting.

I've heard reports of people completing the game in an hour, so $10 might be too much.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 11:34 Bhruic

There's definitely some minor differences, but they are also definitely minor. They are apparent enough that if you stare at them you can notice them, but honestly, how many people actually stop and stare at textures in-game? They are so minor that unless you make a habit of walking right up to walls and looking at them close range, you won't actually notice them while playing.

I appreciate that Bethesda went through the effort, but I'm not sure it was really worth it.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo