Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart
44. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 5, 2012, 08:37 Bhruic

And Schafer is known for what exactly..? Monkey Island..famous adventure games.. No one can name the devs of tac shooters outside the hardcore fans. It is the appeal of the genre.. Schafer might be the Carmack of Adventure games. Tac shooters have no "Carmack".

Are you arguing my point for me? Schafer is known for adventure games, yes. And that's why people are putting in the money. It's not for an adventure game, it's for a Schafer adventure game. It's the name that is bringing in the money, not the project.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 5, 2012, 08:11 Bhruic

Schafer's titles have broad appeal. You denied it earlier, but essentially that's why. I don't know why you're so focused on the individual.

It's impossible to prove, but I definitely believe that without Schafer's name attached to that Kickstart, it wouldn't have seen 1/100th of the money it's got.

Gaming these days is all about name recognition - either of the game (ala CoD), or the "designer".

36. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 5, 2012, 02:21 Bhruic

Exactly my point. Smart is clearly a fan of space sims. He's been making them for almost 20 years. However, being a fan of specific genre doesn't make you a good designer.

Ok, but your point is irrelevant. Derek Smart is a bad designer in general. So him being a fan is irrelevant. My point was that someone who is a good designer, but hasn't worked in a specific genre, can still be a good designer for that genre, if they've done the research (ie, played the games).

I don't think he has sufficient experience with designing tactical shooters.

Yes, I understand that. And yet, it's still not really relevant. There are plenty of good designers that worked on games in genres they didn't have experience with who made great games. That's because they were good in general.

The more experience you have, the better you'll be able to predict and handle potential obstacles.

Having experience in the genre would help with the first, but any experience would help with the second. And while he might not be able to predict all the obstacles, that doesn't mean he can't overcome them when they pop up.

Again, refer to Derek Smart. Smart has lots of experience designing games and he has lots of experience with space sims, but that hasn't stopped him from making lousy space sims.

I'm confused, are you arguing my point now? You're basically saying that having experience in a specific genre doesn't mean you're going to make good games in that genre. Exactly. Which means that having experience in that genre is a secondary concern after whether you're actually good in general.

Another good example is Bioware. When they started working on Mass Effect, they didn't really have any experience working on shooters. I have no doubt that many members of the team loved shooters but that alone wasn't enough to get good results. Predictably, ME wasn't a very good shooter but the RPG and story elements helped carry the game to success.

Actually, that's a really poor example, because there's no indication that making ME1 a shooter was a priority. The focus of ME1 was clearly on the RPG elements (and it was marketed as an RPG). It wasn't until ME2 came along that they switched focus, and made the shooter elements primary.

That has no correlation with anything that's going to be going on with this project.

34. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 4, 2012, 21:49 Bhruic

It's not quite that simple. There's a big difference between playing a game and making a game. When you make a game, you have to make decisions about things that you never really think about while playing games. When you make a game, you lose perspective on the decisions you've made and how they affect the game as a whole. Ideas that sound great in theory may end up being not so great in practice, but if you're heavily invested in those ideas, you won't realize that there's a problem until someone tells you.

Think of it like this: if being a fan of a particular genre was enough to become a great designer within that genre, then wouldn't Derek Smart be one of the best space sim designers ever?

That's not really the issue. How about putting it differently, is Derek Smart a good designer of any game?

As for the whole "losing perspective" angle, that's entirely possible with any game, and any genre with any developer. The amount of experience you have designing games in a specific genre isn't a major factor in "losing perspective". It's the calibre and quality of the designer themselves, which isn't tied to any one genre. That's not to say this guy is going to make all the right decisions (where "right" is subjective to begin with), but if he's got sufficient experience designing games, and sufficient experience with tactical shooters, then those two combined would give me a decent degree of confidence that he would know what to do to make a good tactical shooter.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
117. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 21:43 Bhruic

Even if Valve hides all the OS stuff, you still have the in-game stuff to deal with. How many console gamers know what V-Sync is? Or mouse smoothing? Or DX11? Or triple buffering? Or anisotropic filtering? Or antialiasing? The average console gamer doesn't know or care about any of these things. They just want to sit on their couch and play games. Sure, players can skip all the video and control configuration and just jump into the game, but that typically results in an inferior experience because default settings are usually crap. And if someone doesn't care about having an inferior experience, they'll just stick with consoles.

If you've got dedicated hardware then you can ship a config file specifically designed for that hardware, and eliminate the need for the end user to fiddle with settings.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 4, 2012, 21:39 Bhruic

It's often called "voice acting", so using "actor" doesn't strike me as odd. On the other hand, wtf:

Eighty per cent of players select a male Shepard Later they can decide how their Shepherd treats other people.

In his/ her interaction with other characters, Shepard can behave with compassion or brutality.

What the hell does that have to do with the rest of the article??

24. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 4, 2012, 08:25 Bhruic

Regardless of opportunities, the fact remains that he doesn't have much experience working on tactical shooters.

You don't really need experience working on tactical shooters to make a tactical shooter. It's not like there are technological challenges that are unique to that genre. If he's played tactical shooters, knows what makes a game a tactical shooter, and is aiming to make such a game, that will be sufficient.

Although I'd really like to know exactly what his definition of "tactical shooter" is.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens when someone who's donated $1000+ has their pet idea shot down. Under the right (or wrong) circumstances, I can see that being quite amusing.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
96. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 08:21 Bhruic

As PC gamers I'm willing to bet most of us here have rigs that are as powerful, if not more-so, than the proposed Steambox specs.

Than the completely generic, non-specific specs that are listed? Other than the 8GB of RAM, there's nothing there to compare against. i7? Ok, what clockrate? An NVidia GPU? Which one?

Assuming that whoever is doing this is going after hardcore gamers (the ones who have "powerful rigs") is rather silly when we know so little about it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2012, 21:56 Bhruic

Ain't just us backwards Euro's Blue - you and Canada are pretty much alone with your weird M/D/Y thing.

Canada (officially) uses D/M/Y.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Mar 3, 2012, 02:58 Bhruic

That's common to a ton of "free" services. They are free for a month then start charging you.

Yup. Never sign up for "free" services that require a credit card number.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 02:54 Bhruic

That's the big thing that's changed. For the first time, the galaxy KNOWS the Reapers are coming (though in typical political horseshittery most of them would rather bury their heads in the sand, which is exactly what WOULD happen), and for the first time they are able to unite and fight them together.

That's certainly plausible, but the Protheans were more technologically advanced than any of the races around now. But when the Reapers hit a planet, that planet was wasted in an extremely short time period. The idea that "Earth is holding out" is just silly. The Reapers would show up, Earth would be toast in a week - if it took that long - and they'd move on.

I don't mind the idea of trying to unite against them (although even then, the chances of beating them should be small - well, except we have Shepherd!), but this idea that we're going to somehow "save" the Earth is pretty bogus.

I dunno, maybe there's more to it than the demo suggested, but the Reapers didn't seem to be doing as much damage as we'd been lead to believe they could.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 00:53 Bhruic

I'm definitely looking forward to this, but I'm going to have to do some mental acrobatics to be able to buy into the storyline. From what they've always claimed, having the Reapers show up was pretty much a "game over". That's why we were working so hard to stop them from showing up. So having them show up, and now we are supposed to be able to beat them?

Ugh. As someone else said, this is a common mistake - especially prevalent in Sci-Fi. Star Trek had the same problem with the Borg - one Borg cube could basically take out the entire Federation by itself, until they managed to "trick" it. And then, suddenly, the Borg got less and less scary, as they made them less and less powerful, in order to use them for stories.

Very frustrating from a story perspective, but, well, I suppose I'll have to overlook that (or hope they've come up with some brilliant solution to the problem that I can't think of). If the actual game is as good as the last two, it should be a lot of fun.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2012, 20:22 Bhruic

My worry is that it'll be 100 starting in April straight through to October...

I'm thinking the same thing, except that I replace "worry" with "hope".

News Comments > Rayman Origins Demo
21. Re: Rayman Origins Demo Mar 1, 2012, 20:09 Bhruic

So take that as you will, I can't get the 'automatic' adding thing to work at all. No matter what I try.

Unfortunately you are talking about a completely different issue than was seen here. Steam (I believe erroneously) was reporting that the Rayman Origins Demo was installed on your computer, even if you'd never installed it via any method. It's not a case of it picking it up from another install.

And the earlier poster was correct, restarting Steam cleared that up.

News Comments > Reckoning DLC Next Month
15. Re: Reckoning DLC Next Month Mar 1, 2012, 07:30 Bhruic

This is one of those rare games that actually seems to get better the more I play it. I think part of the problem is that there are too many side-quests early on, making it easy to get bogged down in relatively meaningless quests. The story-line and faction quests, on the other hand, are much better - especially the House of Ballads one. Not only was the story good (much better than anything from Skyrim, imo), but it had some nice moral ambiguity to it.

I might actually look forward to this DLC.

News Comments > SimCity 5 Revealed?
12. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 00:36 Bhruic

SimCity 4 was awesome

Indeed, much like Civ IV, SimCity 4 was my favourite since the original. If they build off that, I'd be happy to play it.

News Comments > Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff
41. Re: Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff Feb 29, 2012, 21:34 Bhruic

With that said, businesses need to make money so their business can grow. If a business does not grow, they can not hire people. If a business loses money, you cannot expect them to keep people they cannot afford.

True, as far as it goes. But with that said, businesses also go too far to the other extreme when it comes to making a profit. It's part of the problem with the stock market system that we have, businesses consider themselves responsible to shareholders, and no one else. So rather than look at what would be good for both the business and society, they focus on what will be best for the shareholders - which is almost always maximizing profits. And even worse, they do this with a short-term perspective, because long-term planning with short-term losses will often result in a stock tanking, resulting in monetary issues.

Unfortunately, we haven't really found a good middle ground between the two competing systems, but we're definitely skewing too hard towards the corporate interests these days.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 28, 2012, 20:07 Bhruic

the silent, death-fueled prayer of the assassin Thane in Mass Effect 2

That's quite the stretch. I can kind of see the Assassin's Creed one, as at least that takes place in a historical setting, but trying to use a completely fictional alien species? Really?

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
44. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:15 Bhruic

I dunno. I did a ten second check, and all EA's keys seem to be in there, though they do appear to all be encrypted. I have keys for ME1, ME2, Crysis 2 and the Sims 3 in there.

Really? I couldn't find ME1 or 2 keys in there. Those are the only two EA games I currently have installed via Steam. I have BF3 installed via Origin, and no key for it either.

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
39. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:00 Bhruic

The serial key itself tells them whether you purchased a game or not. Each key can only be activated once, so pirates cannot "spontaneously have legit copies"

There are very few games these days that store cdkeys in the registry, so that seems highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I can't check how it does it with DS2, as I got it for free on Origin as part of my BF3 pre-order.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo