Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend
14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend Mar 21, 2012, 16:23 Bhruic

I got a 7 day free trial. It's a decentish game, but I was surprised by how poor the graphics are. Age of Conan is 4 years old now, and it had much better graphics at release than this has.

Gameplay is ok, but nothing spectacular yet - of course, I'm still in the newbie area, so can't comment on the world beyond. Right now, it's not a game I'd both pay for AND subscribe to. One or the other, possibly, but not both.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
54. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 16:14 Bhruic

Should movies be re-shot because some vocal people didn't like the end product?

You are aware that plenty of movies get released as "director's cuts" because they want to change the way a movie works, right? And that these director's cuts can dramatically change elements of a movie?

edit:
Go google "movies with alternate endings" and spend the afternoon reading how fans/test audiences ended up changing the end of a movie

Or that too.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
51. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 16:12 Bhruic

necrosis wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:59:
If anyone who comes here is curious as to why we hate the ending so and has some time to read a bit give this a look.

A Logical Breakdown of Why the Mass Effect 3 Ending Makes No Sense

The problem I have with that ... article? is that it takes a nitpicking view of something that wouldn't be nitpicked if it weren't for the bad ending.

Or, to be more specific, take the first point. The reason that you hear "They're all gone" over the radio is because the game is trying to inform you that no one else made it through the beam. It's trying to set up the drama of "YOU MUST MAKE IT, EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON YOU". If you woke up, and heard "Yeah, about 20 guys made it through the beam", that'd kinda ruin the suspense.

And then there's points 2 and 3, where point 3 very clearly explains point 2. The reason for Shepard to get knocked out is to stop Shepard from being dead. If Shepard didn't get knocked out, Harbinger would have known he was there and made sure he was dead. Plus, of course, the above mentioned "dramatic tension" angle, which requires that everyone else not have made it to the beam, which wouldn't work if Shepard had already made it to the beam.

You could take lots of other sequences in the game, and subject them to the same level of scrutiny, and find all sorts of "errors" - but no one is looking for them, because there's no reason to. This level of scrutiny over the ending is unwarranted - once you've admitted the ending is bad, why go into such tedious detail over every little instance? If they'd done the same ending, but included extra footage of what happened to the other characters in the game, and not had the Normandy flying away for some reason, most people would have overlooked most of these minor flaws. Seems silly to dwell on them now.

News Comments > New U.S. Game Labeling Bill
34. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:58 Bhruic

He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do.

Before you attempt political spin, you might note that the bill is sponsored by one Democrat and one Republican. The idiocy, such as it is, is on both sides with this one.

News Comments > Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled
36. Re: Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled Mar 20, 2012, 13:37 Bhruic

That's a very oddly worded announcement. "Other DA opportunities came up"?? Some other company did a DA3, so you guys decided to jump on board?  

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
97. Re: BioWare Mar 20, 2012, 04:19 Bhruic

If you get 4000+ (or 5000+ depending on Anderson's status), you get a brief clip of Shepard after the regular part of the ending. That's about it. The main meat of the ending is the same, there's just the inference that Shepard isn't dead. Well, only if you choose the "destroy" option.  

75. Re: The ending is fine... Mar 19, 2012, 18:06 Bhruic

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 18:00:
When a company milks it forever, people complain. When a company wraps it up, people complain.

Quit whining. Not everything in life ends the way you'd like it to, get over it.

Really? Someone with your post history is telling other people to "quit whining"?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 19, 2012, 17:15 Bhruic

Regardless, it still boggles the mind that FB reacted the way they did.

Really? That's the way they damn well better respond. Unless they have proof of death, there's no way to verify that the person is truthfully dead, and therefore that someone else should have access to his account.

66. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 17:10 Bhruic

They just don't want to upset the fans too much by saying STFU directly, so they will say it in a nice way, and string fans along with "considering" raking in the DLC money, until its time for bioware's next game.

That's not really it at all. Right now, they recognize two points:
1) A significant number of people are very unhappy with the ending
2) A significant number of people would be even more unhappy if we tried to make they pay more for a "better" ending

So for the moment, they realize that their only option is to put out another ending for free. Obviously they don't want to have to do that. So right now they are trying to figure out whether enough people are going to stop being upset at the ending so they can ignore it, or will the number of people upset by them charging for an ending DLC decrease to the point where it's economically feasible? Ideally from their perspective, I'm sure they'd rather have the former, as they already have the DLC planned out (regardless if the list I posted is accurate or not).

It's basically classic damage control - placate, distract, ignore.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Mar 19, 2012, 16:00 Bhruic

Damn, apparently not only did the release this patch (effectively free DLC), but the game is ALSO on sale for 75% off. Seriously, at $2.50, this game is a steal. One of the best indie games I've played.  

61. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:57 Bhruic

Troll or Truth?

Well, they did change the story because of the leak (Javik was originally going to be the catalyst, believe it or not). But I suspect the rest of it is wishful thinking.

We also have:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/876/ohboyherewego.jpg

News Comments > Beamdog on Possible Baldur's Gate III Kickstart
25. Re: Beamdog on Possible Baldur's Gate III Kickstart Mar 19, 2012, 13:44 Bhruic

Now how the fuck do we get a Kickstarter going for Tie Fighter? Who do we need to talk to or pressure into getting it started?!?!? Please, take my money!

They could really easily do it, if they tailored it just right. Lucas owns the names, but he doesn't own the images. It's what's let productions like IMPS get away with it, they never specifically say "Imperial Star Destroyer" or "Tie Fighter".

44. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 13:24 Bhruic

I don't understand the intensity of this complaint compared to what they did to Dragon Age with DA2. In that game it wasn't the ending that was offensive, it was the whole freaking game.

That's really it right there tho'. If ME1 and 2 were crap, and ME3 other than the ending was crap, people wouldn't care that the ending is crap. But ME1 and 2 were good, and ME3 was good up until the ending. That's what made the ending so jarring, and out of place with the rest of the game. If you watch a crappy tv show, you won't be very upset by a crappy ending. But if you watch a good tv show, a crappy ending can really ruin it for you, ala Battlestar Galactica (although it had been going downhill for awhile).

Dragon Age 1 was a good game, certainly, but Dragon Age 2 wasn't a continuation of 1, it was a new game, with a new character. So the fact the game in general was pretty poor, while disappointing, didn't have the same emotional impact.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 19, 2012, 13:02 Bhruic

Woohoo! A SPAZ update!

Time to fire it back up again.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Challenge Weekend
60. Re: Mass Effect 3 Challenge Weekend Mar 19, 2012, 11:57 Bhruic

Pointless? I don't know that I'd got that far. From the same perspective, it'd be easy to say that Empire Strikes Back was pointless, and it's widely (and rightly) considered the best of the original trilogy. I don't think ME2 has that distinction, but stopping the Collectors is a significant achievement within the scope of the "grand story". No, it didn't stop the Reaper invasion, but much of the Reaper invasion involves co-opted ground forces. Had the Collectors been successful, there would have been many more such forces, as well as a "human Reaper" (which I admit is an idiotic concept) to deal with as well. Not to mention the Collectors themselves, although they wouldn't have been a major force.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update
45. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update Mar 19, 2012, 11:52 Bhruic

This is pretty much the only way we're going to get to see certain kinds of games again

I'm still really on the fence on this system. On the one hand, I appreciate the ability to directly influence the production of games and genres that I like. So that's a definite plus. But on the other hand, I don't like paying for products that I can't see. I mean, sure, Wasteland 2 may turn out to be a great game that I enjoy, but it might turn out to be a clusterfuck too. From that perspective, I don't want to pay for something until I know it's going to be good.

I think I'm going to wait and see how these "big" projects turn out.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update
34. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update Mar 19, 2012, 00:42 Bhruic

Publishers understand one thing: the bottom line.

You're being overly critical of publishers. I know why you're doing it, but it's still not really accurate. Most publishers both know about the business their in, and have a decent understanding of game design. They are focused on selling games, which requires knowledge of both of those things. Although that doesn't make them the best people when it comes to making games, they aren't the worst problem. The problem isn't with the publishers, the problem is with owners.

Take EA. If EA is publishing a Bioware game, that's fine. But when EA buys out Bioware, that's bad. What we need to do is stop the trend of gaming companies selling out to owners. Keep the publishers as publishers, don't let them own you. Once they do that, they get a lot more power and control than they had as publishers. And that's when things start going very wrong.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 18, 2012, 21:10 Bhruic

They aren't aimed at individuals - you'd still have the ability to sue in small claims court. They are trying to stop class actions.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Challenge Weekend
58. Re: Mass Effect 3 Challenge Weekend Mar 18, 2012, 18:39 Bhruic

Not only that. Why did the Catalyst not just activate the Citadel himself?

That one is dumb too, yes, but it doesn't bother me as much. I'm very used to books doing the same thing, in book 3, they come up with something that invalidates, or changes something from book 1. Sometimes you do that for the sake of the story.

Why I consider this plot hole to be so serious, is it's all self-contained within a single game. There's no way to excuse themselves for having to go back and "change" something - there was nothing previous to change. The entire reason for the plot of ME1 is pointless.

I will give them this, tho' - in their defense, it wasn't until my 3rd playthough of ME1 that I really stopped to think about it. The rest of the game was distracting enough that it slipped me by the first few times. That's probably what makes the ME3 stuff worse, is that it's so obvious and blatant that you can't overlook it.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo