Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > New SimCity Only Playable Online
70. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 20:42 Bhruic

Control and money. Also it doesn't seem baseless to consider the publishers history when they make current decisions. This way they can also try to stop those cdkey sale sites that have been cropping up and hitting Origin which only has regional restrictions on its actual storefront.

Same story as Diablo 3, protecting their online crap (DLC storefront) from piracy/cheating. That's the excuse anyway.

I don't buy it. EA has had much bigger games come out (and planning to come out) that have no hint of an "always on" connection requirement. SimCity is not a big enough franchise that they can count on previous purchasers to buy it regardless. They must have had some reason in mind for an always online requirement (assuming the news is accurate, so far the sites reporting it are the types to report every rumour they come across) beyond simply DRM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 11:41 Bhruic

SimCity hasn't exactly been a franchise for which there has been a large need for either DLC or mods. But even if it were, there are plenty of non-online games that have lots of DLC and no mod-tools, so it's hard to believe that's the issue.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Patch Tomorrow
8. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patch Tomorrow Mar 28, 2012, 11:22 Bhruic

My favourite "exploit" bug (ie, one that doesn't require any hacking to accomplish) was the C4 bug. During setup phase, you can throw C4 for some silly reason. You can also switch teams during the setup phase, which is fine. However, switching teams (and suiciding in the process) didn't remove your C4s. They did, however, switch teams with you. So on a map with few spawn points (think Russians on Operation Firestorm), you could spawn, throw down a bunch of C4, switch teams, and as soon as the round started, detonate them. Immediate massacre.

I never actually did it, but watching the youtube video of it was hilarious. Although I'm still glad it's being fixed.

18. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 11:18 Bhruic

I'm really wondering about this decision. Leaving aside the "EA is evil" debate for a moment, who thought this would be a good idea?

What exactly are the tangible benefits to online interaction that outweight the downsides? Has there really been a large number of SimCity fans clamoring for online play? I can't comprehend the decision making process here. I know that "online" is a nice bullet point, but even that doesn't explain making it mandatory. And EA hasn't (mostly) succumbed to the trend to make games require online play as a form of DRM.

So ignoring any baseless attacks on the publisher, anyone got a clue what the impetus was here to impose multiplayer on a game that seems so ill-suited for it?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Patch Tomorrow
6. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patch Tomorrow Mar 28, 2012, 11:13 Bhruic

Unfortunately, they've already stated that the reason they do big patches further apart than smaller patches more often is because of the distribution on console

They've said that, yes, but they've neglected to mention exactly how "distribution on console" affects PC patches. I suppose it could be something as simple as trying to maintain version similarities across platforms, but that seems like a poor excuse for delaying much needed fixes that could have been implemented months ago.

News Comments > DICE: Console Certification Holds Up PC Patches
17. Re: DICE: Console Certification Holds Up PC Patches Mar 28, 2012, 03:21 Bhruic

Jerykk wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 02:35:
I don't think that's what he meant when he mentioned proper testing. He was saying that the delay of the PC patch gives them more time to test it. Of course, that's only if EA is willing to pay for the extra testing. History has shown time and time again that delays do not always result in added polish. Often it's just marketing-related, just as the delay of this patch is most likely due to some deal EA made with Sony.

I don't get that at all. The "proper testing" remark is in reference to them doing a big patch, rather than smaller, incremental patches. Apparently when it's a big patch, they do testing, where for smaller patches, they don't. Yeah, I know, that's stupid, but that seems to be what he's implying.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2012, 22:09 Bhruic

Oh, so we suddenly know the price, a single paragraph later?

If you bothered to fucking read, you'd note they were talking about ISPs in general, that often charge that as an overage charge, not pretending they knew what Cox specifically was going to do.

News Comments > GTA5 Details Leaked?
49. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 26, 2012, 19:16 Bhruic

You realize this is ROCKSTAR, right? IF there is a PC version, it'll be a giant piece of shit.

Not sure why you are bagging on Rockstar so heavily. Granted, the GTA IV port wasn't amazing, but it was generally pretty decent. Certainly a better experience than the few times I saw in on consoles. Getting mad at them for the long delay in the port time, I can see, but calling their ports (and III, VC and SA were all great) shitty is pretty inaccurate, imo.

News Comments > GTA5 Details Leaked?
48. Re: GTA5 Details Leaked? Mar 26, 2012, 19:14 Bhruic

Still baffles me that it baffles you guys that PCs aren't always the best option.

Well, none of your arguments have dealt with whether it's the best option. Apparently, for you, it's not the most cost-effective option. Fair enough. But you've pretty much conceded it's the best option, it just costs too much.

If what you want to argue is cost-effectiveness, you need to be clear about that at the beginning.

News Comments > World of Darkness Footage
14. Re: World of Darkness Footage Mar 26, 2012, 05:01 Bhruic

At the risk of ultimately sounding like an idiot for not researching the facts first, if this has been in dev mode for that long, then how can anyone agree it's 'looking good'?

It was, apparently, a graphics test. To assume that they've literally been working on absolutely nothing else is pretty silly. As far as the graphics engine goes, it looks pretty decent, especially compared to most MMOs today. Hell, compared to SWTOR, the most recent "big" MMO, it looks stunning.

As to what else there is to the game, well, obviously they didn't show any of that. It wasn't, apparently, the focus of their demonstration. I'm quite sure they've done a lot of other work on the game that wasn't showcased here.

Regardless, drawing any conclusions from this other than "it looks good", or "it looks meh" (should you think so) seems entirely premature.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Mar 22, 2012, 23:05 Bhruic

I thought about getting this, but honestly, Shogun 2 didn't really have the same longevity as some of the earlier games. The nice thing about Medieval and Rome was that there were plenty of different factions that had differing units. Gave you a chance to play the same game, but from a different perspective. The unit hegemony in Shogun 2 doesn't really lend itself to that, really killing the replayability - at least for me.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
143. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 20:18 Bhruic

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:14:
Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 11:15:
Uh it did for everyone... Unless the wiki is wrong. Care to explain what happened in yours?

The wiki's wrong. I saved the queen in ME1, chastised her for falling victim to the Reapers again, let her live AGAIN, and she gave 75 War Assets worth of workers to the Crucible... woot?

She never betrayed me.

I addressed that later on in the thread. I was replying under the assumption that everyone in the discussion knew about the "saved" vs. "aritificial" queen and that he was implying a third possibility.

edit: Well I guess there are 4 story possibilities but 2 war asset outcomes.

The wiki is not wrong! I've already explained this once, but again...

If you saved the queen in ME1, then the queen you meet in ME3 is the same queen. If you save her again, she gives you workers that are loyal to you.

If you killed the queen in ME1, the queen you meet in ME3 is a clone. If you save her, the workers she gives you will betray you and damage some other resources on the way out.

Third option, you kill the queen in ME3, it doesn't matter if it's the real one or a clone, she's dead, no Rachni assets.

All of that is what the wiki describes. It's not wrong.

140. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 19:16 Bhruic

The bigger picture here is that it's 75 people who gave the game a great review

It's a given that the majority of those 75 people did not finish the game before they made their review. It'd be like asking people to rate Battlestar Galactica, and having them only rate and review the first season. It'd get a lot higher marks than if they'd watched the whole thing to the end (in general, I'm sure there'd be outliers).

Which isn't to say that still wouldn't have given ME3 a good rating, but it's the "perfect" review score that's the give-away.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
23. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 18:30 Bhruic

I really wish they'd just be honest about such things. I mean, maybe I'm misunderstanding the system, but what I'm getting is:
Some items require you to have gems to buy them
You can trade gold for gems in-game
There are no sources of new gems other than real money

And it's the last point that makes it a bit annoying. It's fine to say that "there's nothing you can't get with gold", but that's only true if you have sufficient people willing to sell their gems for gold. Which requires that there are enough people who both want gold, and don't want to spend time finding it in game. In other words, the entire economy is based on how many people spend real money on stuff.

For purely "fluff" items, that'd be fine, but from the sounds of it, it's more than that.

114. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 08:07 Bhruic

organizing to demand that they go back and "fix" this one's plot is just silly. It's unprecedented from the perspective of art, since we didn't "commission" this work from them, and this is not the medium in which we start making demands of how artists make their art.

You're just wrong. Your comparisons to movies/tv/books is also wrong. Movies/tv/books don't already have a system in place where they modify the end product after its complete. There is no "movie/tv/book DLC". There is, however, game DLC. Games already are subject to changes and modifications post-release, so what people are asking for isn't in any way unusual. People are simply asking for a DLC that accomplishes a specific goal. No different than people asking for a specific BF3 mappack, or a specific mission objective in Skyrim.

Not to mention that there is already precedent, as many people have pointed out, in the Fallout 3 DLC.

107. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 02:27 Bhruic

Because I can assure you they did, and they made it through without throwing weeks-long temper tantrums on the internet and organizing to demand changes.

Nice exaggeration. By all means, point out the people around here having a temper tantrum. There are plenty of people who don't like the ending. There are plenty of people interested in talking about the ending. There are plenty of people who would like a different ending. None of that equates with a temper tantrum.

(Changes that, by the way, no one would be happy with anyway.)

Considering that you don't know what changes they would make, you don't know what the people complaining would consider a good ending, and you don't know how they would react to an ending change, you are in no position to say whether they would be happy with changes or not.

106. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 02:22 Bhruic

Draugr wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 01:44:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 00:39:
I wonder, if you kill the queen in 1, do rachni reapers cease to be in game? Or is it just explained as 'oh, there was another rachni queen hiding somewhere'? It all feels so trite, pointless and inconsequential...

They "cloned" the queen. So if you killed the queen, you do the exact same thing, go down and fight through to see her. The only difference is if you accept her offer to help, at a point down the line, she backstabs you, pulls her workers out, and does some damage on the way.

Only real effect is a negative to your rating. Which almost certainly won't matter.

It did not go down like that for me in my game, I didn't kill the queen in ME1 though, so that's the obvious difference there.

It's still lame though, all things considered. making us choose again is just silly.

Well, yes, if you read the original quote, he was asking "if you kill the queen in 1". If you didn't kill the queen in 1, then the queen isn't a clone, so the workers she gives you (if you leave her alive) don't withdraw, and you don't lose any points from them damaging anything.

Oh, and should point out - doesn't matter if you killed the queen in 1 or not, if you kill her (again?) in 3, the outcome is identical.

99. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 00:39 Bhruic

I wonder, if you kill the queen in 1, do rachni reapers cease to be in game? Or is it just explained as 'oh, there was another rachni queen hiding somewhere'? It all feels so trite, pointless and inconsequential...

They "cloned" the queen. So if you killed the queen, you do the exact same thing, go down and fight through to see her. The only difference is if you accept her offer to help, at a point down the line, she backstabs you, pulls her workers out, and does some damage on the way.

Only real effect is a negative to your rating. Which almost certainly won't matter.

News Comments > Stardock 2011 Customer Report
4. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 21, 2012, 22:16 Bhruic

They're basically sounding like they're going to be moving away from PC gaming.

Frankly, it's really hard to see how someone can say it's a "better time to be a software consumer", when most of the publishers are doing their damnedest to maximize profits at the expense of consumer features.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 21, 2012, 21:12 Bhruic

Why is it so fucking hard for these articles to actually link to the damn study? Checked 6 different news reports on it, not a single one had the study link.  

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo