Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > NPD Reports March Decline
9. Re: NPD Reports March Decline Apr 13, 2012, 13:56 Bhruic

Considering the number of successful kickstarters recently I'd say you don't need a 9 figure to make a great game. See: Grimrock, Frozen Synapse, any good indie. Keep on dreaming a good game needs 9 figures.

Ok, seriously? You really need to stop letting your dislike of Beamer blind you, because that was a remarkably stupid thing to say. No one is denying that you can have great indie games, but he's absolutely correct that you wouldn't have a massive game like Skyrim made that way. And that's not even mentioning that what you list are PC games, when there's no PC exclusive games on the top ten list, and quite a few non-PC exclusives. There's a good reason that kickstarter isn't funding any major console projects.

Publishers still have a significant role in gaming at present, and that isn't going away any time soon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
13. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 12:03 Bhruic

Apparently when they did "maintenance" last night, they reverted some areas to pre-1.2, so now they've got about a 10hr downtime scheduled to fix things.

Well done there. *sigh*

News Comments > NPD Reports March Decline
4. Re: NPD Reports March Decline Apr 13, 2012, 11:45 Bhruic

Dark clouds are over the mainstream segment of this industry and only a fool will deny them. When for the first time a CoD title sees sales slumping down drastically only 3 months after release then it means retail sales for consoles are close to crumbling. Hell, most software retailers are gone, Game, Best Buy, even Gamestop is now being target of rumors about its dire financial state.

Yup, it's all about a crash in the industry, rather than a generalized lack of spending caused by an economic downturn.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that the current-gen consoles are approaching their end-of-cycle date.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
11. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 11:40 Bhruic

Read elsewhere that some players are pissed that it only applies to accounts with a lvl 50 character, but I guess you can't please everyone

Well, that is rather annoying. I could have got a level 50 char easily, but I wanted to check out some of the other stories, so I've been spreading my time among a bunch of other chars. So I'm going to miss out on 30 free days because I didn't stick to a single char.

But I guess there's really nothing short of "free 30 days for all" they could have done that wouldn't have been equally arbitrary.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
96. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:28 Bhruic

Alamar wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:24:
Another thing to note... Falling down trap holes can be beneficial

-Alamar

Really? I haven't fallen down any - what exactly do you/can you get from falling in them?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
86. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 Bhruic

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:39:
Time to start spoiled discussions since I'm sure a lot of us have gone a good way into the game by now. Highlight below for spoiler

Who else found the secret room right at the first room when you start playing the game?

I did, it was almost literally the first thing I did. Turn around and spot the hidden button. But I wouldn't have noticed it, likely, if I hadn't watched the TotalBiscuit WTF - the buttons tend to be similar.

On the other hand, I seem to already be stuck - stupid hidden keys!

edit: lol - I actually watched the part of the wtf which showed where the key was. Doh!

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
12. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Apr 11, 2012, 18:43 Bhruic

Man, I remember the video (song) at the end of Darkstone... I actually enjoyed it at the time - now it'd be pretty dated. Good game tho', don't think it was a big commercial success.  

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
189. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 15:21 Bhruic

Speculation is based upon assumption

Sigh.

Once again, there is reasoned speculation/assumption, and presumptious. For example, if you were to say that you think it's going to be cold tomorrow, we can assume that you are doing so reasonably, based on things like "how warm was it today", and "what weather patterns are moving into place for tomorrow". If, however, you said it was going to be 40F tomorrow, there would be a higher expectation of proof on your part. How did you determine what the temperature is going to be? What qualifications allow you to make that determination? Etc.

Once you bring out numbers like "over a million copies downloaded", and "over one hundred thousand people would have bought it", you better have some evidence to back that up if you want to be taken seriously. Which I assume you do.

If you don't want to be taken seriously, disregard everything I've posted, and continue your "speculation".

180. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 12:51 Bhruic

I'm not the only one people are doing it to. Others are putting their own speculation out there as discussion points. How about challenging it with your own speculation rather than stupidly acting like it's being stated as fact?

There's nothing wrong with speculation. There's something wrong with baseless speculation. When you said "If a game is pirated a million times I think it's safe to say that's 100,000 lost sales.", you had nothing to back that up with. You were just making up figures out of thin air.

If I were to say "I think 98% of pirates donate to animal shelters", I'd really hope that you would think I'm in no position to make claims about what 98% of pirates would do. In the same way, you are in no position to make claims about what 10% of pirates would do.

Speculation is meant to be debated.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. Which category did your fall into again? There's no point debating made-up numbers, because they are just that - made-up.

Just look at how many people think Mike Capps said "PC piracy canceled Bulletstorm 2" when he never actually said that

Ok, I looked. One person. And even that is a bit of a stretch of what they actually said.

He said low sales canceled Bulletstorm. He also said piracy lowered PC sales.

Really, and connecting the dots is too much for you? If they aren't making a sequel because of low sales, and piracy lowered sales, then at least part of the reason they aren't making a sequel is because of piracy. That doesn't mean it's the only reason, but you'd have to be truly clueless to believe that he's not suggesting it's a significant factor.

165. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 23:50 Bhruic

also, more people here need to fucking learn that when someone says "Probably" they are not stating a fact. Both sides keep saying "where do you get your numbers, douche" to shit that is clearly speculation.

Then don't be a douche? There's a difference between numbers that are likely accurate, but not backed up by hard facts, and numbers that are nothing but pure guesses. What you've done here is the latter.

Or, to put it differently, you can claim that 10% of the people who pirate games would buy them, and I could claim that 0.00001% of the people who pirate games would buy them, and there's no way either of us could be proven wrong. So why invent numbers in the first place? If you want to argue, you bring facts. If you want to speculate, well, fine, but don't expect anyone to take your argument seriously.

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC is Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonus
4. Re: Mechromancer DLC is Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonus Apr 10, 2012, 20:42 Bhruic

But don't worry, an entire character class is being developed by a completely separate team! It's not like they are taking anything from the main game or anything. You don't have to do stuff like balance the game for different classes. So this is totally ok!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2012, 18:32 Bhruic

It wasn't really a bad review, just entirely generic. Probably what you can expect from IGN I guess.  

135. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 18:16 Bhruic

All evidence is pointing towards that being the case. It's not just EA, Epic, Ubi or other big corps but also indies like Jeff Vogel (Spiderweb) or CD Project have expressed their dissatisfaction with rampant piracy.

Actually, there are quite a few indie developers that have been happy to have their products pirated because it gave them a great deal more exposure than they would have ever had without it.

But that's not really the point. No one is expecting that the "big corps" would be happy with piracy. But claiming that it's a "huge problem" with no evidence to back that up is just an unsubstantiated claim. Companies love to use piracy as a scapegoat for a poor selling product, overlooking the fact that good selling products have at least as much, generally more, piracy. Skyrim is still selling like the proverbial hotcakes despite the fact it's been widely available on torrents since it came out.

So when a developer says "our product didn't do well", "we did a poor PC port" and then "our product didn't do well because of piracy", there's a pretty clear disconnect there. Their product didn't do well because they couldn't convince people it was worth the price they were charging. Either because the price was too high, or the quality was too low (or a combination thereof). That is what they need to fix if they want to sell games.

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
179. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 10, 2012, 15:35 Bhruic

Found a nice video that does a good job of showing what's wrong with the ME3 ending beyond the obvious. It's a bit lengthy, but really gets to the heart of the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs&feature=player_embedded

84. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 14:48 Bhruic

Pretty much everyone I know my own age or younger pirates games, music and movies relentlessly. Most of them never buy anything, some of them buy their favorites. I started a volunteer overseas program in January and every other volunteer I have spent any time with brought terabytes of pirates stuff with them.

Which just goes to prove the point I was making earlier. Maybe some of them are rich, and actually could, but the vast majority of people who pirate things on a regular basis couldn't afford to actually buy it all. They pirate it because it's free.

Trying to suggest that any of them would have bought the same terrabytes worth of stuff if piracy wasn't an option is just ludicrous.

23. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 10:31 Bhruic

If people didn't want to play it then it wouldn't have been pirated like crazy.

Not necessarily. There are quite a few people who simply download anything that comes out. And there are more people who download any "big name" game that comes out. Neither category actually plays all the games.

You can say people didn't want to pay for it, but undoubtedly if piracy was not an option then sales would have been better. While we can debate all day what portion of pirates would otherwise buy a game (low), I don't think anyone would argue none would.

No, but we can argue that some of the people who pirated it then went on to buy it, and some of the people that bought it only bought it based on a recommendation from someone who pirated it. The idea that piracy only has a negative impact has been discredited so many times it's surprising people still try and make that claim.

If a game is pirated a million times I think it's safe to say that's 100,000 lost sales. Bulletstorm was pirated more than a million times.

Is it pull-numbers-out-of-your-ass day? You are well aware that you don't actually have any evidence to support either of those numbers, so why throw them out there? They don't make you sound any more convincing - indeed, they make your argument a lot weaker by the fact that people realize you have no evidence for your numbers.

News Comments > Starlight Inception Kickstart
12. Re: Starlight Inception Kickstart Apr 7, 2012, 14:51 Bhruic

Hmm, the "What is Starlight Inception" seems to be 33% describing what it is, and 67% quotes about how awesome "Garry" is. Not exactly the most accurate header.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Apr 6, 2012, 19:54 Bhruic

jimnms wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 16:17:
nin wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 11:10:
In the total biscuit video posted the other day, it looks fantastic, and exactly what I was expecting it to be.

Gonna be fun!

That review is what pushed me over the fence to pre-order it. I ordered it from the developer site so I could get the direct download and Steam key.

Pool of Radiance and Eye of the Beholder were the first two cRPG's I played. I made maps with graph paper, which didn't do me any good in the lower levels when I got lost going through teleporter things and falling through traps. I'll probably wimp out and use the auto map thing, but I might try my hand at making my own maps at first.

Yeah, I did mapping for the original Bard's Tale, which was great, but I gave up with all the "teleporters in the dark" that went on. I don't think I'll try to map this one. Manually mapping really slows down gameplay - and with this being real time, that could be a problem.

Still looks quite good tho'.

135. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:02 Bhruic

I don't think that the Shroud was the only thing that made the air breathable, to be honest. It's not as if the biosphere is gone or anything.

My recollection of Mordin introducing it was that it was still doing air processing. And according to the wiki:

Regardless of which you choose the Shroud is eventually destroyed as it explodes, although the consequence of destroying the Shroud has yet to be seen as it was effectively keeping Tuchanka's air breathable.

133. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:01 Bhruic

That's already been covered. Your choices with TIM affects whether Shepard lives or not in the end. Your choice of romantic companion affects who steps out of the Normandy. Your total score at the end affects which ending you can choose, and how battle is progressing and what's back on Earth. Yes, the options are limited compared to all the choices you had to make throughout the series, but like I said before, those choices were resolved outside of the final sequence.

Ok, so let's see... "Your choices with TIM". Um, yeah, ok, the choice you make at the end of the game affects the end of the game. Yeah, real winner you've started with. And how do any of your previous 3 games worth of choices affect that?

Your choice of romantic companion affects who magically spontaneously teleported on to the Normandy at the end. Yes, very believable, considering said romantic companion was last seen charging the beam with me in London.

And your total score... The only thing that has any impact at all. And considering that "your score" has no real reflection on your choices, just on how much effort you put into system scanning and multiplayer, that's barely a choice at all.

In other words, your choices have no measurable impact on the game ending.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo