Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play
29. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 20:03 Bhruic

Ok, sure, if you want to take that idiotic attitude. From that perspective, you wouldn't miss anything if you were never to play a single game ever again. Fine, that might be true. But on a game forum, it's rather expected that we (shock!) have people interested in playing games. And from that perspective, BF3 and ME3 are two very good ones. If you like playing games, and you like playing good games, then yes, you are missing out by skipping them.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Apr 16, 2012, 19:47 Bhruic

Honestly, I would think not being on Steam hurt it way more than not being at GAME, whatever the hell that is.

It's a toss-up whether not being available in the largest UK chain hurt more than not being on Steam. The UK market isn't that large, but the online PC demand for this probably wasn't large either.

There's no question that they lost sales to the problems with GAME, whether they are significant or not is debatable.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2012, 19:43 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:55:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:18:
Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 10:43:
Well, you're only entitled to legal counsel. Nowhere does it say that you get any specific counsel you want. I side with the government on this one. MU's money should be held in escrow pending the outcome of the trial. If the lawyers feel they have a solid case they can collect their fee after they win.

There's this little thing called "innocent until proven guilty". Perhaps you've heard of it.

Yeah, and I agree with it. Once again, however, you're only guarenteed a right to counsel not any counsel you want. And if there was sufficient evidence to warrant their arrest and seizure of monies made by alledged criminal activities it should be held in escrow untill they're proven innocent because otherwise you're allowing then to spend ill-gotten gains on counsel when it should be held for restitution. No one is denying them their constitutional rights here. This is just a bunch of greedy lawyers wanting to represent criminals - and yes they have been convicted of previous crimes in the past - so they're attempting to play the big bad government card.

I don't understand, you claim you agree with it, and then go against everything that it means. Hell, you even use the phrase "proven innocent". They are innocent. Right now, he is innocent of all charges against him. This only ceases to be the case if the prosecution can prove, in court, that he is guilty.

What you are saying is that someone shouldn't be able to get competent legal council because there's a chance they might actually be guilty of something. Which is entirely counter to the fundamental principles of the legal system.

That you can't see this is quite scary.

News Comments > Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play
27. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 16, 2012, 19:35 Bhruic

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:52:
Shok wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 10:42:
April 2012 and I'm still Origin free. I'll consider playing a game that uses Origin in 5 years when it's DRM free on GoG.

Same here. I will never use it. If that means I never play BF3 or ME3, then so be it. From what I've read, I'm not missing anything worth worrying about.

Not sure what you've been reading then. ME3 has been given almost universal praise for the first 95% of the game. The ending absolutely sucks, but the rest of the game is great.

BF3 is also a lot of fun. DICE has done some of their typical "patch fuck-ups", and there's still cheats that make it through, but overlooking those, it's an enjoyable game. And looks damn impressive.

I'm not going to defend EA, if they are doing stupid shit, well, they deserve what they get. But there's been plenty of stories of individuals getting full Steam bans too, but people haven't lept to the "Steam is evil" conclusion. Yeah, I know, Valve has a better reputation, but they still do similar things (remember the guy who got a full account ban for 'gifting' too many games)? A few isolated incidences aren't enough to make me assume the platform as a whole is that bad. And my personal experiences with it have been fine.

So if you want to avoid Origin games, that's your perogative, but you are definitely missing out.

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
37. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 19:26 Bhruic

Tim Collins wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:37:
The new star wars patch is a complete disaster, its so bad they gave everybody a free month. I immediately unsubbed after I found out they converted the gear in game but only for people who were stupid enough to NOT modify it pre 1.2...that combined with the fact they ninja patched and only gave 24 hour notice (I didnt login that day) thus not giving people time to prepare for 1.2 by selling/trading in items that no longer had any value.

The new warzone sucks, the legacy system is useless and really bioware has screwed up so badly on this game they forced me to quit because I REFUSE to promote the careers of people that, by their actions, have no clue what their doing.

You're joking, right? Or by "24 hour notice", do you mean besides the fact it was announced on the forum a week ahead of schedule?

Not to mention they didn't give "everyone" a free month, they only (originally) gave people with a level 50 a free month - they've since modified that to anyone with legacy level 6.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
74. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 19:15 Bhruic

Isn't the whole point of a bow as a weapon in a FPS that it can shoot extremely quietly? I would assume that it's going to be aimed at stealth players, who would be able to take people out without any noise giving their position away. Makes sense.

If you can take down aliens and robots with it, on the other hand, it might be a bit silly.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2012, 13:18 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 10:43:
Well, you're only entitled to legal counsel. Nowhere does it say that you get any specific counsel you want. I side with the government on this one. MU's money should be held in escrow pending the outcome of the trial. If the lawyers feel they have a solid case they can collect their fee after they win.

There's this little thing called "innocent until proven guilty". Perhaps you've heard of it.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
36. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 00:41 Bhruic

When the alternative is that a game never gets made, then I don't see what you could possibly have to complain about. We've waited forever for the traditional game publishing industry to create this game. It hasn't happened. So we fund its creation ourselves. If you don't care about this game, then I can understand you not funding it, but I can't understand what you have against the Kickstarter concept. How else do you get something like this done?

I understand the rationale behind the kickstarter concept. But for me, I find the negatives and positives are pretty balanced. Some people don't mind pre-ordering games. I do. I want to actually see the game before I pay money for it. With kickstarter, there's often no game at all, just concepts in a developer's head. Will it turn into a game? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe there'll be complications, and they can't make the game the way they intended. Maybe they run out of money, and have to ship an incomplete project. Lots of things can go wrong.

I prefer to know what I'm buying. With kickstarter, I'll never know, because you are really only buying into an idea. I have no problem with people who are ok with that sort of thing, but that's not me.

34. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 00:30 Bhruic

That's all it is. Anyone bitching about this I'm going to say probably isn't going to buy the thing anyway and will just pirate it.

You can't seriously have claimed that things are going over another posters head, and then posted that tripe. Do you really think that pirates won't be able to get their hands on the "exclusive" content? Of course they will. Anyone planning on pirating the game will get all of the content available. The only ones who won't are the people who intend to buy it once it's actually finished.

So, yeah, things are going over someone's head, certainly, but apparently that someone is you.

14. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 15, 2012, 17:40 Bhruic

I'm a backer of this project and i don't like the idea of exclusive content. Leave that bullshit to the majors. I want the game to be complete for everyone, regardless of being a backer or just a normal customer after the release

I still personally dislike the whole kickstarter concept, although if it works for companies, that's fine. But I prefer to actually have a product I'm paying for, rather than paying for something theoretical.

With that being said, I'd be much less likely to buy the product when it comes out if they did something like that. It might be fine for the backers, but assuming they want sales, it'll likely hit them there. I guess it's a case of do they want more money up front, or after the fact.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
36. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 14, 2012, 19:47 Bhruic

woohoo! I've got legacy level 6  

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
86. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 14, 2012, 00:28 Bhruic

One whole Engineer Electronics Engineer (is he going to work at the department of redundancy department?) That new hardware's gonna rock!

Might want to check the link before making fun of it, as they have:

Hardware Engineer—Electronics Engineer
Hardware Engineer—Mechanical
Software Engineer—Firmware

Of course, what I thought was more interesting was the job opening for "Psychologist".

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2012, 00:22 Bhruic

The second, and equally powerful, reason for our decision to place this matter in the hands of a court is that we believed then, as we do now, that the agency model is the one that offers consumers the prospect of an open and competitive market for e-books.

You've gotta admire the balls of people who can say such things with a straight face. "The ability for us to increase the price of our products is best for the consumer because they pay us more money."

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans
23. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans Apr 14, 2012, 00:08 Bhruic

You're talking about a group of guys that implemented an option for "old-school mode," wherein the game does not automatically generate your map and recommends you keep graph paper at the ready... I think they'd be offended by such requests (and how tedious would it be to deselect the last spell you cast whenever you want to use a different one?).

You're talking about a group of guys that implemented an option for automapping wherein the game automatically generates your map. In other words, they put choices into the game, rather than forcing people to play in a specific way. There's no reason they couldn't continue that system of choices, and put an option to "remember last spell", or something similar in for the people who would prefer it.

34. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 23:56 Bhruic

But you're wrong in your last paragraph. What they SHOULD have done is give 30 free days to everyone who has an active subscription and has paid for at least 3 months. That makes much more sense and is a lot less arbitrary than simply having a level 50.

It's no less arbitrary, it's just a criteria that you like better. You'd still have people who've subbed for 2.99 months complaining about the cut-off.

From what I've read, the reason that they are doing this for 50s is because they were supposed to have the ranked WarZones in the 1.2 patch, and they were removed at the last minute. So this is supposed to be an "apology" of sorts to them. Or, more likely, a way to keep they subbed until the ranked WarZones are in the game, so they will continue to sub in the future.

But I chose to pace myself more to play with my IRL friends, and made a ton of alts (I'm using all 8 slots on the server I play on).

Right, I've got a lot of alts too, but that's the point. It's just like the phone company offering deals to those who complain, rather than everyone. From their perspective, there's no reason to give you 30 free days, as you've still got lots of content to do, so you're likely to keep subbing anyway. The people they are trying to keep are the people likely to cancel, and that's level 50s with little-to-nothing to do.

News Comments > NPD Reports March Decline
22. Re: NPD Reports March Decline Apr 13, 2012, 18:56 Bhruic

Yes he is but since he exaggerated his point and since he seems to think, maybe even mocking, that only KS is a viable business model for indies then I decided to disregard that quote, knowing full well what he meant. Will indies one day do 9 figures? Perhaps, unlikely as it is. The real question should be: Do gamers need 9 figures games? Could Skyrim have been made with 8 or even 7 figures? Those are interesting questions and I think I would respond positively to both. Cut the middleman and you cut a lot of costs associated with them.

Well, I'm not even sure the "making" of Skyrim was 9 figures, I'm pretty sure it was only 8. But again, beside the point. Skyrim would not have worked as a kickstarter game. Yes, a couple of games have managed to hit low 7 figures, but they are the exception. The amount of work - in man hours and money - that gets put into AAA games is well beyond what systems like kickstarter can apply. You won't see a CoD, Skyrim, BF3, Mass Effect 3, etc from kickstarter. That's not to suggest you can't get good games from it (although right now we've got project funding, sure, but haven't really seen projects), but none of them are even trying to be AAA games - which makes sense.

The middle ground is gone because nobody wants to take the risk, because nobody knows if it will sell well, on consoles at least, they do sell well on PC

Well, no they don't, and why would they? There isn't a big $20-$30 market for the PC for the same reason there isn't one for the console. We have the $10-$15 range for higher quality indie games, and the $40-$60 range for large publisher products. Sure, some games will drop into the first range via sales, but that's not their "set" price range.

MW3 sales have kind of crashed as you can see from the chart.

I'm not sure that being on the top ten list counts as "crashing", but even if it has, so what? That's an indication that you can't milk a franchise to death, rather than that franchises don't sell. Heck, the fact it's still on the list this many months after release proves it still sells, just not as well as it had previously. But franchise fatigue is definitely a factor in game development.

And now publishers are being faced with gamers tired of the same franchises but unwilling to take risks with new IPs which means that they have entered a vicious cycle of recycling existing IPs.

Tired of a single franchise doesn't equal tired of all franchises. Plenty of them know how to do things properly by spacing out when the games come out, and not trying to do yearly cycles for games that don't support that model.

And this is one of the reasons why console retail is crashing.

I won't say it's not a factor at all, but it's not a major factor. Or, rather, there are much more significant factors than this one.

Ah but if you go look at the numbers, and this is why I keep drilling on Beamer, there was a downturn but it wasn't of 31% average, in fact I don't think it even reached a 14% downturn though I'm not sure.

Again, it wasn't during an economic downturn. You have a large segment of the population with less disposable income, coupled with announcements and speculations about the next generation of consoles. Combined, both of those lead to a decrease in sales.

Also, if you look at the numerous amounts of game retail stores that have been closing this past month

Uh, what "numerous amounts of game retail stores closing this past month"?

23. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 16:08 Bhruic

It might just be our server (RP) but it's one of the busiest I've seen. I ended up here due to following some friends, but was glad when I found out RP wasn't strictly enforced.

I like RP servers because they tend to have friendlier people on them (in general), but the one I'm on, I don't think I've seen any RP at all. Apparently it's mostly just in-guild or in cantinas. I'm not a hard-core RPer or anything, but wouldn't have minded some light RP here or there.

But at least the population isn't too bad - enough to generally get a group, not so much as to have to queue for quest items.

News Comments > Nekro Kickstarter
7. Re: Nekro Kickstarter Apr 13, 2012, 16:06 Bhruic

However, the current murky in-game visuals they are showing remind me of WoW which isn't a good thing

Yeah, frankly, that's an art style that I just dislike. There have been games where I've put up with it, but it's never a selling point. I'd rather something more "realistic".

News Comments > NPD Reports March Decline
15. Re: NPD Reports March Decline Apr 13, 2012, 15:58 Bhruic

I am not denying that nor did I actually say anything like that. I said you don't need 9 figures to make a great game and that is true, I didn't say they could make games to the level of Skyrim, not yet anyway.

Yes, but you selectively quoted to try and get around that. The full quote from Beamer was:
We don't like playing Skyrim, anyway, so let's pray that the only method of funding it gets destroyed! We can kickstart nine figures, right?
In that context, he's correct, kickstarter wouldn't be able to fund a game like Skyrim, so we do need publishers around to fund such games.

Today, at least on the consoles, you only see cheap XBLA games or full on $60 AAA games, no middle ground.

You're making an assumption that games priced in the middle ground would sell well. Experience has tought that, for consoles at least, games priced in the $20-$30 range are thought of as "budget" games, and not as high quality as the $60 games. And that's regardless of whether that perception is actually accurate. Simply making and pricing games at that point is no guaruntee of fixing anything.

They aren't diversifying on console games, they keep on publishing the same IPs recycled every year and they keep pricing the games high.

Again, because of what history has demonstrated. New IPs are extremely risky. Established franchises aren't. Look at the top ten list again, and find the original IP in the list. You won't. Because franchises sell.

PC gaming is gaining a lot because it has tons of those games well made and that means slowly some indie devs are getting enough revenue from those games for PC gaming to start seeing more vast indie productions in the future.

Because the barriers to entry are so much lower. And because there are good platforms (eg Steam) to push indie games.

Which is beside the point, as indie developers for the PC have little, if anything, to do with what's going on for consoles. If you look at what happened when the original XBox and PS2 were approaching end-of-life, you'll note that there was a similar downtick in sales. And that wasn't during an economic downturn.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans
19. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patch Plans Apr 13, 2012, 15:10 Bhruic

The attack rating is attached to the weapon itself, rather than the character.  

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo