Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > The Walking Dead Episode One Released
8. Re: The Walking Dead Episode One Released Apr 28, 2012, 16:35 Bhruic

The show suffers from two things - a decrease in budget which left them less money to spend on locations, which lead to an entire season shot at the farm, and really, REALLY unlikeable characters.

Spoiler tags for those who haven't finished: The amount of hate that Lori and Carl get is immense (and deserved, imo). But even discounting that, there are very few characters who that aren't either one dimensional, or just plain annoying. Add in the number of nonsensical plot devices, and it becomes borderline aggravating. And that's from someone who likes the show.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warlock - Master of the Arcane Demo
18. Re: Warlock - Master of the Arcane Demo Apr 28, 2012, 11:09 Bhruic

Hmm, that WTF video made this a definite buy for me. I enjoyed Civ V, but I think the addition of magic to things will take it to a new level.  

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
251. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 Bhruic

Its as though you can say it is your birthday around here, and 5 people will jump on you and argue that it isn't.

Ok, so the guy who said that anyone who says they aren't buying it is a liar has come back with the above statement? I can only assume that you are one of the 5 people listed above?

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
44. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 08:32 Bhruic

Microsoft is really divided internally over it too, especially since that memo went out mandating Windows 8 use for official projects

What pissed me off is that they removed almost all of their gadget links for Windows 7, because they want to push developers to make stuff for Windows 8. There were some decent ones that I can't find working links for anymore thanks to that.

That's one of the reasons that letting MS be in control of such things is a bad idea. Much like EA, they tend to "force retire" previous versions if they want people to adopt the current one.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Events
30. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 26, 2012, 08:20 Bhruic

Given that all Blizzard games have been cracked and emulated so far this one won't be an exception.

Admittedly I haven't looked into it to any large degree, but afaik, there is still no working emulator for multiplayer Starcraft II. They've got the singleplayer working, but it was designed to be playable offline, so that's not really relevant to the discussion.

I won't deny that if there'll likely be efforts to make emulators, but I wouldn't go so far as to guaruntee their success.

236. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 08:12 Bhruic

To all but the most anal retentive saying "it's not singleplayer" would be shorthand for "it's not really singleplayer because its design is so focused on multiplayer."

Yes, I agree. But your longer sentence is just as incorrect as your shorthand is, as has already been demonstrated. Repeatedly.

You having no interest in playing it singleplayer is not synonomous with it having no singleplayer. Perhaps you should stop suggesting it does.

edit: A nice third-party summation of the situation from:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/how-diablo-iiis-drm-will-affect-you/

"However, crucially, itís a mode of the game thatís deliberately programmed to work, with NPC story-based characters to join your party and interact with you, and a single-player plot to hack through. It is, undeniably, designed to be played as a single-player game."

234. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 Bhruic

Oh, so this is about nit-picking.

No, this is about you claiming the game is "not singleplayer". If you have no interest in playing it in a singleplayer capacity, that's your call. But you don't get to generalize for all of us.

Diablo 3 is so designed around multiplayer it has lost me as a singleplayer customer. Is that better?

That's fine. What you choose to do is your business.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Events
6. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 25, 2012, 22:49 Bhruic

Rhialto wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:09:
Not sure I will have received my Collector's Edition box, thus no code to activate the game at that time.

Would be curious to see if Bettle.net will be able to handle all the load. In fact I would love to be in front of the system showing all the stats and data about incoming traffic and such at the launch time. That must be crazy to watch.

If they are doing it the way they describe, the initial load won't be that bad. From the description, at least, they make it sound like they are starting sales at midnight local time. So by the time it goes on sale on the west coast, it'll be 3am on the east coast, and a lot of people will have gone to bed.

231. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 21:36 Bhruic

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not

Sure, and you'd think that the ME3 developers would know if they made the ending based on your game choices, but you'd be wrong.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy.

Talk about missing the point. I didn't argue against it because it wasn't perfect, I argued against it (successfully) because it doesn't work as an analogy.

The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise.

Well, I can say otherwise because it's not true. You've yet to demonstrate any factors that support it as being "designed for multiplayer", other than the online requirement - which has already been shown to not require multiplayer, the AH, another factor that doesn't require multiplayer, and "always ready for someone to jump in", which is demonstrably false when playing a private game.

Perhaps what you mean is that it was designed primarily for multiplayer. That's almost certainly true. But being designed primarily for multiplayer doesn't preclude having a singleplayer component - think BF3 for example.

If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots?

Sure, let's take UT3. Would it be fair to say the game was designed primarily for multiplayer? Absolutely. Would you be correct if you said it had no singleplayer component? Absolutely not.

227. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 14:04 Bhruic

And as I originally compared it, you can also solo all the time in WoW and in effect play it as a singleplayer game, but it still isn't that. D3 was designed as multiplayer only, the developers even said so when the internet thing came out. I believe the quote was something like "playing this by yourself is playing it wrong."

Sure, and why your analogy is wrong has already been pointed out to you repeatedly. On the off-chance you'll actually read it this time, I'll point it out again:

You can try and play WoW solo, but you can't actually do it. You're in an open, persistent world, with other people running around impacting the world. Sure, you can avoid interacting with them, but they are interacting with the same world you are, meaning that even with avoidance, you are still in a multiplayer environment.

The same is not true of D3. If you make a private game, it's private. No other player can join you. You aren't sharing a world with anyone else. It is, in all sense of the word, a purely singleplayer experience.

As for developers saying things, I'd simply point out that the developers of Mass Effect 3 told us how the ending was going to be based on the choices that players had made in the game. In other words, developers can be wrong.

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Apr 25, 2012, 13:42 Bhruic

Legality and reality couldn't be more opposite. Reality doesn't respect your rights. Reality doesn't care about what you're entitled to. Lock yourself in a cage with an angry bear and see how much he cares about the Constitution

And that's relevant how, exactly? I don't seem to remember claiming used sales were in the Constitution.

You're neglecting the fact that stores are supposed to distribute products, not use them. That's why stores exist. That's why publishers sell them product in bulk at low prices. Stores are not supposed to use products and then resell them. Well, I think GameStop actually does that with the used games they stock but they aren't supposed to do it with new ones. When a publisher sells a batch of games to a store, they do it with the understanding that those copies will then be sold, unopened, directly to customers. Once all those copies have been sold, retailers are supposed to order more copies from the publisher. If retailers keep reselling the same copies over and over, this doesn't happen.

What does "supposed to" have to do with anything? You haven't disproven my original assertion, you've just argued that it's acceptable. Ok, right, publishers accept that stores sell the "used" copy that the publisher sells them, but dislikes it when they sell the "used" copy that someone else sells them. Why is that anyone other than the publisher's problem?

225. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 13:33 Bhruic

I'm just saying by always being online, always having that auction house there, always ready for someone to jump in, you're basically soloing a multiplayer game.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is that the presence of these things do not automatically make it a purely multiplayer game. Functionally speaking, there is no difference between playing D2 in offline mode, and playing D2 in a solo battle.net mode. Simply playing a game with an online requirement doesn't remove the singleplayer component of it.

224. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 13:30 Bhruic

Am I missing something? Last I saw, Blizzard was not going to make anything on AH transactions... Are you assuming this or was it stated somewhere?

I don't have a cite/quote for it, but my recollection is that they said they were going to charge a fraction of the sale of each item. Either that, or they were going to have a set "stocking fee". Either way, supposedly it was to offset the costs of running the AH.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
15. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 11:45 Bhruic

Interesting, sounds even better then. I assume Hudson is just doing a hit and run troll then because I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this

Well, not an issue for me personally, but I could see someone having an issue with the "all your existing characters" part. What if someone wanted to have characters in different worlds to play with different people? Most MMOs allow you to do that, so it'd be strange for GW2 to not.

219. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 11:35 Bhruic

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:51:
The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2.

Sure it does, if my ISP or the Blizz servers go down, or Blizz Servers have performance issues, I can't play or my playing experience sucks. That's a HUGE difference.

D1 and D2 BOTH had dedicated OFFLINE Single Player modes (as well LAN and B.NET). The ONLY reason why D3 is online only is because of this stupid AH that Blizz will make money on.

You're arguing a completely different point. Yes, the online requirement is insanely annoying. But just having an online requirement doesn't automatically remove singleplayer play from a game, which was the point that was attempting to be made.

216. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 08:52 Bhruic

agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2. Forcing you online to play singleplayer doesn't take away the fact you are playing singleplayer. That'd be like saying that Assassins Creed had no singleplayer.

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
15. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 13:01 Bhruic

In the beta, the only thing you can actually summon is some zombie dogs that are absolutely worthless.

Hardly worthless. Other than the fight with the Skeleton King, the dogs did quite well. They aren't really meant to kill things themselves (although they can), they are meant to be meat shields. Mine handled that decently, for the most part, allowing me to kill stuff without getting hit a lot.

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
8. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 11:32 Bhruic

I've only tried the Wizard and Witch Doctor so far, and have to say the WD seems like a better class. Of course, I was a big fan of summons in D2, so that's probably shading my perceptions, but I definitely had more fun with it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2012, 03:35 Bhruic

Oh, and...

Most pirated games originate from a legally-obtained copy.

Not true, and you know it. The majority of pirated games come from someone involved in the distribution process, which is why they often beat the street date. No one is buying the game to release it online.

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2012, 03:32 Bhruic

If your argument revolves around rights and entitlements, then yes, it's about legality and not practical results

It doesn't revolve around them, it uses them to demonstrate the reality of the situation.

Without used sales, stores would only be able to sell new copies. Once they run out of new copies, they'd have to order more from the publisher. Used copies help retailers avoid buying more copies from publishers, thus denying them compensation that they would have earned had used copies not been available.

See, this is where the blinders come in. To you, any sale should have the publishers being "compensated". Conveniently, of course, overlooking the example of the block of cheese I used to point out how idiotic that viewpoint is.

Fine, if you want to think of it from that perspective, every single sale of a game from a store is a used sale, so the publishers and developers should get paid more. When a store buys a game from a publisher, that's the sale. The store owns the copy. They then turn around and sell the game to other people, a clear case of a used sale! Sure, the store paid the publisher for the copy when they bought it, but now they are reselling the game, and the publisher isn't getting a cut of it!

Again, a completely ludicrous position, but it's the logical progression of the argument you are making.

Why do you think GameStop loves used sales so much? It's pure profit for them.

Of course it is. That's because they've managed to effectively corner the market. The profit doesn't come from not compensating the publishers, the profit comes from ripping off consumers. When Gamestop can buy a used copy of a game from a customer at a much lower price than the publisher is charging, who do you expect them to buy from? Consumers are stupid to sell their games for so little when Gamestop resells them for so much. And other stores/companies are stupid for letting this happen without trying to get in on the action.

Hell, if publishers had any brains at all, they'd get into the used sale business. If they re-bought their own games at the prices Gamestop is charging (well, a little higher to beat out Gamestop), they'd be able to make the profits that Gamestop is making. But they've got the same blinders on that you have, and are more concerned with trying to combat a problem that only exists because they've ignored it.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo