Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam top 10
32. Re: Steam top 10 May 13, 2012, 16:23 Bhruic

DangerDog wrote on May 13, 2012, 15:55:
[
Interesting, I didn't think it mattered but if I can kill bandits then that shall be my new quest.

the "friendly" system is purely an honor system, you can still turn around and kill someone on a whim. Some people like to send out fake SOS messages for help, luring unsuspecting people into a trap.

Oh, absolutely. Anyone can always stab you in the back over anything. Me and a friend were playing, spotted someone, did the whole "friendly" thing, got in closer, and guy was with a friend who (apparently) "panicked" and shot my friend. I shot him, then the other guy shot me. 3 people dead, despite being "friendly".

At this point, bandits are KoS for me. Sure, some of them might be friendly, but I don't take chances. Non-bandits I'll still give a bit of benefit of doubt to, but if there's any chance they might shoot me, well, like Han, I shoot first.

I think I've only actually killed one non-bandit tho' (in the above situation, the guy's friend was a bandit), and that was before I knew what the bandits looked like. Some guy was in darker clothes than "normal", so I was worried that was the bandit outfit, so I shot him. I tend to err on that side in cities and airstrips tho'. Also depending what I've got to lose. Fun game!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam top 10
27. Re: Steam top 10 May 13, 2012, 15:30 Bhruic

I'd love to play an anti-stalker stalker but once you kill a few people you'll end up looking like a bandit too.

There's no humanity penalty for killing bandits, so if that's what you choose to do, you'll never have to worry about looking like one.

News Comments > DOTA Trademark Settled
5. Re: DOTA Trademark Settled May 11, 2012, 17:19 Bhruic

We both want to focus on the things our fans care about, creating and shipping great games for our communities.

It's nice to see him joking. At least, as far as HL3 is concerned, I have to assume he's joking. Blizzard being just as bad.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
117. Re: Diablo III Interview May 10, 2012, 20:39 Bhruic

If you didn't like eggplant, why would you eat it every chance you had and just keep complaining about how bad it tastes?

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be an analogy of? Is it supposed to be about the game? That wouldn't make sense, as no one who hated D1/D2 is in here complaining about D3. If it's about Krovven, it fails at the "eat" stage, as people aren't begging for him to keep posting.

So was that analogy actually supposed to make sense, or did you just randomly throw it out there?

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
34. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 8, 2012, 01:18 Bhruic

And they still, to this day, have yet to implement a way to transfer characters between servers.

Of course they have a way to transfer characters. What they don't have is a procedure to shut down servers (and probably don't want to). Which is, of course, the inevitable conclusion of allowing server transfers. People will invariably transfer from low-pop to higher-pop servers, leaving the low-pop servers with even less people. So they'll need to merge the server(s). And server mergers are always greeted with "the game is dying" messages - true or otherwise. There's no way they want to give that impression at this point in time.

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
4. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 20:39 Bhruic

I'm still enjoying going through the various character storylines, but there's nothing to do at level 50 that holds any interest for me.

One of these days, MMO designers will realize that giving people a compelling storyline and leveling experience, and then requiring them to grind group experiences when they are "finished" is a bad way to handle things. Well, ok, they probably won't realize that, but it'd be nice if they did.

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
150. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 6, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

Now here is the difference between myself, you and so many others here. I don't go around into threads of games I don't like or have interest in, talk ignorant shit about them and attack the people that do like them.

Utterly accurate except for the typo on the first "don't". I'm sure you meant "do".

News Comments > On EA and Indies
9. Re: On EA and Indies May 5, 2012, 19:57 Bhruic

Let's be perfectly honest - in the eyes of many here, EA can't do anything right. That's irrational.

I agree, although in their defense, EA does do a lot of wrong.

News Comments > FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole?
39. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 4, 2012, 15:55 Bhruic

Frans wrote on May 4, 2012, 10:20:
Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:47:
patches-scrolls.de is quite good. Hell, they've got patches for games as old as Doom up there. They haven't got everything, but it's usually the first place I look if I need to patch an older game.
Matthias' goal is to have all official patches. If you know of some that aren't on the site, let him know so he can look into it.

Oh, yeah, I know that's the goal, and I'm not knocking the site for not having everything. But when I'm looking for something they don't have, well, it's usually because I don't have it either.

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
40. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 15:19 Bhruic

Hmm, well, biggest red flag to me so far is the fact they are doing public dungeons. And not only doing it, but bragging about it as if it's a selling point. They don't seem to realize the reason most MMOs switched to instanced dungeons in the first place - dumbasses. If they don't realize something that fundamental about MMOs, it's hard to believe they'll get the rest of it right.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 15:13 Bhruic

DG wrote on May 4, 2012, 13:55:
Eh, don't you have to anyway?

I've not been able to play a DVD without having PowerDVD installed in at least WinXP, Vista and 7.

Well, no, you shouldn't have to. In Vista and 7, you should be able to just throw in a DVD and have it work. Can't remember if it was the case with XP, but I don't think so - XP was a little too old for integrated DVD/Blu-Ray support.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 11:34 Bhruic

Not even just having to pay for WMC, but they won't natively have the ability to play DVDs or Blu-Ray any more in Windows 8. You'll have to get codecs from a 3rd party.  

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
16. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 3, 2012, 23:06 Bhruic

According to GI

Where's that posted? I haven't seen a link yet that's hard any hard details, just a bit of speculation.

128. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 23:04 Bhruic

If you take the size of the development teams (coders, IT support, play testers, artists, sound teams, media teams, sales and public relations, team managers, and on and on and on) coupled with the average wages and benifits for people of their skill level, you have a heafty dollar value that needs to be recouped before a single dollar of profit is seen.

Sure, but all of those things are what the cost of the game is designed to pay for. At least, traditionally speaking. When you are adding a new revenue stream, you really should only be focused on the costs that are associated with developing and supporting that stream - the other costs were always there.

The ~15%(applied however many times on monies in and/or out) is what their research and statistical data tells them the market will bear to maximize a ROI in the shortest time possible coupled with box and digital sales of the game. This could go up over time and could go down depending on all the afore mentioned variables.

Again, probably true, but I'm not sure where you are going with that. As customers, are we supposed to be happy that Blizzard is attempting to maximize their ROI at our expense? If they decided they could increase their ROI even more if they charged people $15/mth like WoW, should we all just sit back and be happy about it, because, hey, Blizzard is maximizing their ROI?

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks "Indie" EA
33. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 19:51 Bhruic

Do you even comprehend what independent means.

Yes, but you don't. A company can hire an independent contractor, for example, without him losing his independence. Simply having a business relationship with someone else doesn't automatically remove independence.

In this specific case, the standard tends to be "not financially backed" by a publisher. Which would be the case if the project was self-funded. How it is later distributed is pretty irrelevant.

What you are effectively trying to claim is that a project could be an entirely indie game during the design, during the creation, and up to the final product, but once it was fully complete, if they asked a publisher to distribute it, it would automatically lose the "indie" title. Doesn't really make sense.

News Comments > FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole?
32. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 19:47 Bhruic

PhysicalEd wrote on May 3, 2012, 14:20:
I guess the people who say FilePlanet is irrelevant havent dug out a really old game disc and tried to patch it up. Last time I had to do that FP was the only site I could find that had all the patches. Next time I guess I will have to just re-buy it on Steam or GOG.

patches-scrolls.de is quite good. Hell, they've got patches for games as old as Doom up there. They haven't got everything, but it's usually the first place I look if I need to patch an older game.

122. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 3, 2012, 19:44 Bhruic

If something sold for $30 yesterday on the RMAH and someone is stupid enough to post say five of the same item at $2 each instead...the people gaming the AH will buy up those $2 items and repost at $30 each.

You know, I might have overreacted on Blizzard. It's entirely possible - plausible, even - that this is the real reason for the 15% fee, to stop people from doing stuff like this. Obviously not with this extreme example, but when I was playing previous MMOs, I enjoyed cornering the market on certain products. If people undercut me, I'd just buy their products and relist at my higher price. But by putting in such a high seller's fee, they really clamp down on that hard. Unless people put up pretty extreme price differences (like this example), market cornering will probably not happen - which is good for buyers.

If that was their intention, then, well, kudos to Blizzard.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year
74. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:32 Bhruic

On a serious note, how many rpg games let you play out the anti-hero roles?

Despite their description as RPGs, most MMOs don't really have any role playing beyond what you bring to the table. In SWTOR, for example, you do have the ability to choose light side/dark side in many conversation situations, allowing you perceive yourself as an anti-hero, but the practical effect is limited at best. There's no real in-game effect to your choices, so it mainly comes down to how you want to perceive your character (and whether you want to power-game the stats).

City of Villains allowed you to play as a villain, but not really as an anti-hero.

I'm not sure the structure of MMOs would really support that as an option, without making some fundamental changes to how the game(s) played out.

30. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 19:28 Bhruic

You mean like how EA wasn't directly involved in the making of Mass Effect 2 and 3? Or Dragon Age 2? How they surely gave Bioware total creative freedom?

You mean like how EA actually bought Bioware, and therefore completely owned the company, and how the degree of freedom they did or didn't give them is completely irrelevant?

29. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 19:27 Bhruic

The whole thing about Indie companies is to stop the bleeding from what publishers are doing to the industry

Um, no, that may be what you've decided it is, but you certainly don't speak for everyone. There are quite a few indies who do it that way because it gives them more creative control and freedom for their project. If they can retain that, and still get the benefits of having a larger company distribute for them, where's the downside?

You can still be independent from a publisher as long as the publisher isn't funding your game. If you fund it yourself, and use EA as a distributor, then you are still independent from them.

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo