Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bhruic

Real Name Bhruic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2004, 23:07
Total Comments 3145 (Veteran)
User ID 22304

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed
25. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 15:09 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:25:
Yep. It's amusing because they've already talking BF4 and they haven't even finished the content people purchased BF Premium (less than a month ago!) for yet.

Why is that amusing? Companies often announce games long in advance of the game actually coming out. If they were planning on having it come out this year, then yeah, you'd probably have a point, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that'd be the case. Hell, technically speaking (as Blue notes), the game hasn't actually been officially announced at all yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
18. Re: Valve Counters EA Jul 12, 2012, 17:32 Bhruic

jimnms wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:17:
Would you rather sell 100,000 games for $50 each or 1,000,000 games for $10 each?

Are we playing the making up numbers game? Ok, let's play: Would you rather sell 500,000 copies for $50 each, or 600,000 copies for $10 each?

It's pointless to speculate on the numbers - Valve believes they are good enough to justify the sales, which is why they do them, EA believes they aren't. It's worth pointing out that Valve's argument does seem to rely on brandname recognition (ie, people buying a game for $5 seem more likely to buy the sequel at full price), so there might be a tacit agreement that they don't make as much money purely on the sales price.

Either way, as a consumer, I'm fully happy to see frequent sales. What EA thinks about them isn't very relevant. If they don't discount, I won't buy from them.

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
8. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 11:04 Bhruic

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 10:45:
I hate to shit on something right out of the gate, but when I see "free to play" I totally lose interest...

The F2P doesn't bother me that much, but the "plays on iPad" does.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: Valve Counters EA Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 Bhruic

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 00:54:
So it comes down to this: Does EA want $10 of my dollars, or $0? That's the question.

That's fine if you assume you are the only one they care about. But the problem with that scenario is that once you start offering the game for $10, people are going to wait to buy it at the price - and not just the people who wouldn't buy it at $50. There are plenty of games that I might have bought previous at full price that I now wait for a Steam sale for - knowing that one is almost always right around the corner.

How many people do you have to get used to the idea that the price of a game will very quickly drop into the $10 range before you aren't selling very many copies at full price? Or, to put it into your example, EA would rather have $0 of your dollars and $50 of the next guy's rather than $10 from both of you.

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
5. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:22 Bhruic

I'd like to think this is good news, but companies with declining earnings don't tend to start taking more risks, they start taking less. I don't expect a change in CEO to really affect that at all.

I can only hope that the major players will look at the success some indies are having, and try to emulate them (badly, most likely).

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
47. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 11, 2012, 00:17 Bhruic

As much as people like to claim that Diablo 2/LoD had more character customization, no one likes to talk about how their first few characters were totally useless because they put a skill point or stat point in the wrong ability or stat.

That's nothing but hyperbole. There are no characters that become completely useless because of a single skill/stat point.

Whether you believe it or not there are a multitude of builds that are successful in Diablo 3, including melee wizards, ranged barbarians... hell I've even seen people mess around with melee demon hunters to some degree of success.

And what "degree of success" are you using? How far in the game do you have to get to be "sucessful"? You can't make the claim a single skill point gone awry will make a character "totally useless", and then claim that as long as you've got "some degree of success", the character is fine.

Go look at how many viable Hell builds there are for characters in D2, then go look at how many viable Inferno builds there are for characters in D3. You'll find there are more for D2 than D3.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Confirmed
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 12:09 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:41:
You know, I really tire of Valve's smarmy attitude at times. What a dickish thing to say. You can't just come out and state the date outright? Or maybe no one at Valve is "interested" in doing this and it won't happen untill someone is, right?

Yeah! You should totally boycott the sale and not buy anything, because that'll show them!

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
97. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 5, 2012, 08:54 Bhruic

Kajetan wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 08:17:
Really, you dont need to have publishers anymore. Start small, be effective, dont grow too fast, keep small & effective teams, keep a focused developement schedule. Make money with your first game, make the second game a little bit bigger. Grow organic, do not explode.

Sure, and the first time you end up with a game that's not a financial hit, your company folds. The advantage of having a publisher is that (theoretically of course) they have the ability to balance out failures with other successes.

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
40. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 04:42 Bhruic

PropheT wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 00:30:
I think you're kind of missing the point. Valve is a developer, with their small library of games only appearing on their DD platform.

EA is a large publisher, with a much larger library of games, so only having their games available via their platform makes having multiple platforms and the issues that come with that more prevalent.

Two problems here. First off, Valve doesn't only have their games only appear on Steam, you can purchase them in retail, or via at least some of the other DD services. Second, EA doesn't "only" make their games available on Origin, you can buy most of their games on almost every DD except Steam. It's not a case of EA locking their games to their own platform (with a notable exception), it's a case of EA not selling on Steam.

Now I understand people who want to keep all their games on one platform, and have already settled on Steam. I can understand people being distrustful of EA, because let's face it, EA has done some pretty shitty things in the past. There are decent reasons to not want to buy EA games. But the claim they are only available on Origin isn't one of them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 22:38 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 16:25:
well Canada day is on Monday because we're smarter about these things.

Canada Day is Sunday. We just get Monday off.

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
61. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 02:10:
Nah, I don't really agree. The Rachni Wars alone could easily handle an "epic" game, and there's plenty of back story available that can lead to great games. The Alliance war vs the Batarians, the Krogan Rebellions, and those are just ones we know about. They could also go waaaay back in time and deal with completely different civilizations, though I'm not sure they'd want to, as that would require them setting up basically a completely new universe.

Like I said, maybe they've changed their minds. Maybe EA realizes that a lot of people want more stories with Shepard / Shepard's crew, and they'll do that. I dunno.

But there's plenty of stuff that can go before.

Creston

Yes, but the problem with prequels is that you already know how they are going to end. Sure, you could go back and do the Rachni war, but you already know how the Rachni war turned out. Unless they are willing to do some idiotic Star Trek-style "alternate universe", you don't have the ability to make any major decisions, because the history has already been all laid out. That's the same for any of the "pre-Shepard era" stuff.

Not to mention the fact that it's extremely unlikely they'd go with a non-Human main character, which precludes even more of the available options.

On the other hand, the chances of them coming up with something on a "grander" scale than the Reapers is extremely small, so they might decide to try for something less "epic".

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
54. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 20:18 Bhruic

Bioware said any new Mass Effect games would be set either prior or during the Shepard Era.

That's really unbelievable tho'. You can't make an epic-scale game, which is all they'd be interested in making, when you've already set the stage. There isn't room for another hero in the Shepard timeline, and if they set it beforehand, well, we've already got all the backstory which explains what happened then, so there's no room for "epicness" there either.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday
11. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 01:01 Bhruic

I'll look at it, but based on what they claimed they'd be doing, I can't see it being worth it. Without changing the ending, showing what happens to everyone else is rather pointless. The problem was never that the ending was short, it was that the ending was stupid. Extended stupid is still stupid.

Plus, yeah, it's hard to care at this point simply because it's hard to bring myself to want to play any more ME3. I feel sorry for all the Bioware people who had nothing to do with the ending, and made the rest of the game that was quite fun. They're getting screwed over huge thanks to the ending issues.

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
13. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 21, 2012, 21:15 Bhruic

Wow. This has to be among the stupidest ideas I've seen in gaming. You can hit Skeleton King in what, 3-4 hours of playing? And what about the people who play the Starter Edition up to that point, and then buy the digital version? 3 days before they can do anything?

It was bad enough when companies did annoying DRM in a futile attempt to stop piracy, now they are tacking on annoying shit in a futile attempt to stop bots/farmers. And never mind the annoyance it creates for the people who actually pay for your fucking games.

I've definitely moved from "on the fence" to "no fucking way" for this and future Blizzard games.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
20. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 20, 2012, 21:14 Bhruic

My big problem with the game was the forced-reload scenarios. The times where you'd be randomly teleported, or find the door behind you lock, or find a bunch of doors suddenly open, where you have no chance of surviving unless you know about it ahead of time. Once you are surrounded on multiple sides by enemies, you are pretty much dead. So you get forced to reload and deal with the situation now that you know it's about to occur. No real skill involved with stuff like that.

But otherwise, it was decent fun. I did end up having to look up one or two things online, just because it's no fun being stuck when you can only bang your head against the wall (somewhat literally in-game!). But most of them were challenging without being impossible to figure out.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 18, 2012, 00:02 Bhruic

I've heard SOASE: Rebellion is way, way overpriced for people that already have Diplomacy.

I'd say for people who have any version of the previous game. As a standalone it's fine, but yeah, it should be maybe $10 for people who have the previous game/DLC. I only had the base game with none of the additional content, but it really doesn't feel that different. I mean, the difference between rebels/loyalist is extremely minor. The space stations/mines are nice, but those are from previous expansions I believe. The Titan ship is very nice, but really overpowered. It seems to make a lot of the frigate/cruiser level ships obsolete, simply because they can't really damage it.

I'm not really regretting getting it at this point, because it's nice to go back to playing the game, but the feel of the game isn't really that different. One area that I haven't done much with is the diplomacy, I don't really know how it works yet, but I think that also was a previous expansion. I'm not sure what really rebellion brought to the game.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 10, 2012, 16:34 Bhruic

Dev wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 16:12:
Plus, aren't modders supposed to be too stupid to do the frostbyte 2 engine?

I know what you're going for with that, but in this case, the Day Z "modder" is actually an employee of BI. So it would be expected that he'd be able to deal with the engine.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 10, 2012, 16:08 Bhruic

Bucky wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 14:50:
Now the question is: do I pick up Warlock: Master of the Arcane now, or do I hold out and hope it goes on sale during the Steam summer sale?

I'd hold out. The AI is pretty inept atm, and without any multiplayer, that's all you have to go against. Multiplayer is being added in a free patch at some point, which will give more options. Hopefully the AI will be improved as well.

News Comments > DayZ Interview
5. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 02:13 Bhruic

Yeah. We've started to see a few "civilization" projects pop up, where large groups of survivors are planning to take over an area, and make it a "safe zone" for other survivors. We've seen some people volunteer to play a doctor role, and volunteer to help people who need medical aid (with precautions, of course). So there are options other than "shoot everyone you see", but you have to make the effort to enact them. The game isn't going to hand them to you. It truly is open-ended in that sense.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month
15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 17:52 Bhruic

Ignoring the "F2P" label, at least they finally took this step. The constant "free weekends" were annoying. Now if someone wants to give the game a try, they can do so at their own pace, rather than only getting a couple days to check it out.  

3145 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo